It came home. Hope, hope came home

Bliss Seeker

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well done lads, did the nation proud and far exceeded our expectations.

All the numptees will come out now who couldn't wait to jump on the team but would have celebrated like it was the biggest thing to happen in their lives had they won 

The last few weeks have been incredible 

Not really giving a crap as to what non-English people wish to write/gloat on this thread.

Over 120mins, we were beaten by the better side. No complaints in that respect. Hope Croatia go on and win it.

(Been on Holiday in Croatia a few times, and they are the nicest people I have ever met!)

I feel nowhere near as down as I have in recent World Cup or Euro failures over the past 20 years.

We have a philosophy, a formation and a style that suits the players we have. Rather than ramming in star names for the sake of it.

Our U17 and U20 are Champions. I see such a bright future.

Still gutted in the immediate term, though.

I'm going to get drunk and search the internet for pictures of Cats that look like Stalin.

4 minutes ago, Barry Cartman said:

Well done lads, did the nation proud and far exceeded our expectations.

All the numptees will come out now who couldn't wait to jump on the team but would have celebrated like it was the biggest thing to happen in their lives had they won 

The last few weeks have been incredible 

Dont think there is anything wrong with critising aspects of a team when they lose. Its times when teams are under pressure that their true colours come out. Winning games mask problems within the team. There has been clear problems within the team even with the games we have won. We have done well for the squad we have

1 minute ago, Bliss Seeker said:

I'm actually kinda glad I can get on with my life tbf :D

These last few weeks have drained the life out of me. 

What a ride eh chaps? What a ride! 

Loved every minute of it (Even if my Liver has not!), caught up with some old friends and (I have to say) this forum has been amazing whilst bored at work.

Think I am going to go sober (ala Dry January) for a month now. Well, until Hereford play Blyth on 4th August :-D

Just now, Anthrax Dave said:

Loved every minute of it (Even if my Liver has not!), caught up with some old friends and (I have to say) this forum has been amazing whilst bored at work.

Think I am going to go sober (ala Dry January) for a month now. Well, until Hereford play Blyth on 4th August :-D

Yeah, loved every minute of it. You’re a Hereford fan aren’t you? Been to Hereford on an away day with Southport once (my dads home town) and enjoyed it. 

Just now, Anthrax Dave said:

:D

I'm only disappointed because I literally wanted to give up football.

I would have done had we have have won.

OH well, West Ham's pre season transfers have given me hope that we might just win the league this year :lol:

Just now, Bliss Seeker said:

I'm only disappointed because I literally wanted to give up football.

I would have done had we have have won.

OH well, West Ham's pre season transfers have given me hope that we might just win the league this year :lol:

Now I just feel bad for Bliss, I was just about to gloat about England being beaten, the fallback for Bliss is West Ham, I can't take any satisfaction from that!

1 minute ago, Coulthard's Jaw said:

It has been a blast, and the World Cup as a whole has been superb, and the memories will stay with us forever. And the lingering feeling of "what if..."

Thats the annoying thing. It was our best ever chance since the end of the group stage to reach a final

2 minutes ago, Paul Bacon said:

Thats the annoying thing. It was our best ever chance since the end of the group stage to reach a final

It can be a missed opportunity and a great experience at the same time. Kinda like 96 and 02 (when we genuinely could have won both competitions).

Whilst our government was collapsing around us, we are brexiting (for better or worse depending on your views), it’s hotter than the sun in the UK at the moment, the England team gave us some pride. Some much needed pride. Thanks lads. 

Unlucky. Totally lucky to reach this stage anyway mind. Easy run to the semis and almost faltered against a decent Colombian team without their best player. Did collapse against a good Croatia team. Can't just depend on set pieces and penalties. 3 goals from open play all tournament I think.

13 minutes ago, Cedrik said:

Yes, but England wasn't even close tonight. They totally collapsed, even before the equaliser imo. 

Most definitely from 2nd half onwards, but that first half is huge ifs and buts in years to come. Croatia were there for the taking and we wasted the chances. They regrouped, we imploded, rest now history :( 

Kane chance(s) going to be replayed in decades to come just like Gazza almost scoring all those years ago in extra time in semi final.

**** any negativty. 

These past few weeks have been imemse. I know we didn't beat anyone good but I don't care.

I never beleived England would ever do anything but tonight for a brief time I thought we could win the World Cup. Yeah it didn't happen but I'm still enternally grateful for the ride I've been on.

Thank you England for giving me hope that one day football will come home again

I really hope we develop a creative midfielder in the next few years. 

JDownie keeps going on about Foden. Hope he comes good. 

We really need a creative midfielder. 

Anyway 

From getting beaten by Iceland to this, fantastic :)

2 minutes ago, Bliss Seeker said:

Anyway 

One or two tweeks (attacking mid like you say) and who’s to say we can’t go one better in 2 years at the euros?

Yeah, England need to develop a midfield and find a way of scoring from open play. Unlikely to get such an easy run to a semi again, so it's imperative to have a middle of the park that can hold it's own man for man against the best, and create chances against better defences.

4 minutes ago, Boltman said:

Yeah, England need to develop a midfield and find a way of scoring from open play. Unlikely to get such an easy run to a semi again, so it's imperative to have a middle of the park that can hold it's own man for man against the best, and create chances against better defences.

pretty much this but also keep the threat from the setpieces.  I'd probably say to take Young out and put Trippier in there, then put Walker as the RWB with somebody else as a CB

can see quite a bit of interest in Trippier from the World Cup, he's had a great tournament

Southgate is definitely going to change the formation for Euro 2020*. The team relied on too many oval pegs in round holes in that 3-3-2-2. Henderson didn't play as well as he used to, which resulted in England playing poorly in the second half. 

56 minutes ago, Confused Clarity said:

Lads, having felt the pain of losing in a semi-final of a major tournament myself & come out the other side, am here if you need to talk.

Especially you @Bliss Seeker :hugs_emoji:

Thanks mate....just so glad to have witnessed a semi final run as an adult. 

Optimistic about the future. 

First time I've actually believed that we might just win a trophy in my lifetime (apart from Le tournoi of course). 

2 hours ago, Bliss Seeker said:

Anyway 

Shoutout yeeeaaaaa boiiii. :D

but seriously I hope Foden is your answer too. 

Grealish is an interesting suggestion too, always thought he was more of an attacking mid? Certainly still what England need, but someone who can spray passes from midfield who can actually connect attack and defence instead of trying to ask Henderson to do a 2/3 man job is much more needed than an upgrade on Dele. But yeah Grealish will no doubt have an England cap by the next WC. 

All trolling aside, England did brilliant to reach the stage they did. They have a few really good players in forward areas but lack the quality in midfield and defence to win a major tournament in my opinion. I think this was as good of chance as you’ll have as it was a reasonably easy run to that stage and you lost to both teams that you’d hope to be at least on par with to win a major tournament. 

6 minutes ago, james95 said:

That’s a Celtic song by the way. Weird a nation who supposedly hate us steal our songs x

Actually, it's an Atomic Kitten song but if you wanna claim that as Celtic's I'm not gonna stop you :lol:

Just now, ryan045 said:

At the end of the day your piping up after watching the Three Lions reach the semi finals. When was your last country relevant? Never. Scotland will never be relevant James95

You really don't help yourself sometimes Ryan. 

Archived