Serbia v Switzerland / Friday / 1900 BST

Constantine

1 minute ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Yes he qualified for both Croatia and Bosnia.

That's why I said "technically". He would also have needed the nationality/passport which I'm fairly certain that he's never had for either Bosnia or Croatia.

2 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

He turned both FAs down and said that he feels Swedish because they gave him everything.

Is the country he was born and raised and learned football in so he's not far off tbh. :thup: to him for admitting it.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not giving that penalty is by far the worst decision by a VAR official this World Cup. You can't not give a penalty against a player who's so preoccupied with helping his teammate hold Mitrovic down he's actually looking the other way when the ball hits his head.

If the commentary team is to be believed, the biggest worry for Arsenal fans re: Lichtsteiner is the foul he committed in the first half because he couldn't cope with the pace of er... Kolarov

1 minute ago, Mr Wallin said:

That's why I said "technically". He would also have needed the nationality/passport which I'm fairly certain that he's never had for either Bosnia or Croatia.

Yeah, but in both countries you automatically qualify for nationality if one of your parents was born in the country and has the nationality.

2 minutes ago, Heartwork said:

Yeah I had to point out to someone elsewhere the difference between identifying with your ethnicity and with nationality. Xhaka is ethnically Kosovar-Albanian and obviously supports their cause, but probably still feels more Swiss himself.

This exactly. Some will have chosen whichever they felt they had more chance of playing for longterm, some chose one over the other because they felt more one than the other, and others, despite how proud they felt of their roots didn't have the option at the time (in the case of Kosovo) and didn't want to jepodise the chance of international football for a country they clearly care a lot for on the off chance that it's possible to play for the other country.

6 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Yeah, but in both countries you automatically qualify for nationality if one of your parents was born in the country and has the nationality.

Does either of the parents have that nationality though? Of course I'm sure they could have sorted that too quickly enough if it had been needed but still.  ;) 

I love that the ref can call a foul for the slightest shirt pull during a corner, but couldn't see the equivalent of two bouncers ejecting a punter from a nightclub.

Just now, Mr Wallin said:

Does either of the parents have that nationality though? Of course I'm sure they could have sorted that too quickly enough if it had been needed but still.  ;) 

Well, they would kinda be illegal immigrants if they got to Sweden without papers.

8 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Well, they would kinda be illegal immigrants if they got to Sweden without papers.

Well no but those papers would have said "Yugoslavia" though.  :D

But as I said, it wouldn't have been much of an issue if the interest had been there.

So... We f****d up lead at HT. At least we're first at something. 😀

Didn't liked ref here. How that wasn't a penalty after two guys pulled Mitro?!? Cmon now...

After Xhaka scored, i knew second was coming. That's just classic us. 

Coach made some mistakes too. Milivojević's exit was what finished us, we lost any kind of shape and Shaqiri happened. He kept Mitro on field when it was clear he s exhausted. Dubious subs also.

Well... F**k it. Let's beat that Brazil!! 😄 

6 minutes ago, Constantine said:

Didn't liked ref here. How that wasn't a penalty after two guys pulled Mitro?!? Cmon now...

Yea that was a clear penalty but unfortunately they have been consistent in not calling holding so far in the WC. Apart from that I thought Brych did well though.

1 minute ago, Bunkerossian said:

I'm not a fan of Serbia, but that was a penalty on Mitrović. Greco-Roman takedown on him. The referee didn't even look at VAR. :lol:

This isn't exactly true to procedure, the referee isn't supposed to initiate a review (but he can in some instances). A more correct way to put it is that the VAR didn't refer it back to the referee to review so presumably the VAR didn't consider it to be a clear error to not award a PK.

18 minutes ago, Mr Wallin said:

Yea that was a clear penalty but unfortunately they have been consistent in not calling holding so far in the WC. Apart from that I thought Brych did well though.

Other than the penalty they gave in one of the first games for holding?

Archived