Iran v Spain - Wed 20th June (1900 BST, 1800 GMT, 2100 MSK, 2000 CEST, 2230 TEH)

git2thachoppa

2 minutes ago, martplfc1 said:

And you’re the kind of idiot who’s probably spaffing at the prospect of and Iceland Iran final.

I can confirm I am spaffing at the unlikely prospect of an Iceland Iran final. 

Spaffing :D

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Pukey said:

What would you do against a team that literally has 10 men behind the ball?

to beat Iran, they can either keep playing and hope they get lucky, or they need to keep 3 or 4 defenders back and 3 players in the area, with a couple in the midfield just to avoid being overwhelmed by a break, and just hoof balls into the area and hope for a knock on or deflection.

In the last 20 minutes, they'll need 4 back as Iran will probably put on Ghoddos and J'ksh to sprint down the wings and counter-attack the counter-attack.

As all the neutrals were told 4 years ago, Iran aren't losing 10-0 so you can't play against them like that's what you're aiming for.

2 minutes ago, SteveUK said:

Aye i get why Iran and teams like them choose to play this way but, it's the World Cup, meant to be a showcase for the best footballers on the planet.

It's exactly that. It's not Iran's fault that the best footballers on the planet aren't delivering in that first half...

2 minutes ago, SteveUK said:

Aye i get why Iran and teams like them choose to play this way but, it's the World Cup, meant to be a showcase for the best footballers on the planet.

So Iran should roll over and let Spain play through them?

2 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

The thing I always hated about Spain is that none of their players even thinks about shooting from outside the box unless there's absolutely no other options.

That's exactly one of the things that makes them effective. Don't waste balls with dumb low percentage attempts, when you've got the ability to hold onto it for as long as you want, and likely pass it into better positions.

They're not looking effective tonight though.

Some people still think its the 1970s and these teams we only see every 4 years are like Zaire and barely know how to play football.

They lack quality sure, so they have to make the most of what they have. For Iran, its a tight and disciplined defence thats not conceded in 1 and a half games yet. It's not like they haven't had any time in the Spanish half :D

1 minute ago, Bliss Seeker said:

For as great as Iran were, seriously how **** are Spain? 

They're so narrow, they're playing into Iran's hands 

To be fair they were able to carve through Portugal's flanks fairly easily. Bit difficult to do that against Iran's tactics though.

1 minute ago, noikeee said:

That's exactly one of the things that makes them effective. Don't waste balls with dumb low percentage attempts, when you've got the ability to hold onto it for as long as you want, and likely pass it into better positions. 

Yeah, they literally created 0 chances this half.

I'm not saying they should desperately start shooting, but if they had couple of midfielders that are class at taking long shots, defense would have another thing to worry about, instead of sagging off them and letting them pass it around at 25ish meters away from the goal.

Just now, noikeee said:

Funnily enough this is Iran's gameplan. They'll only go on the attack when the odds are in their favour, otherwise it's fine, you can have the ball and we'll play the percentages where you don't get any real chances. Iran usually gets 2 or 3 chances, but they're huge.

Remember Dejagah's sprints against Argentina, and when he got fouled in the area?

1 minute ago, Redshift said:

To be fair they were able to carve through Portugal's flanks fairly easily. 

Quite frankly so far it has looked like any team on the planet can do that.

To be fair they were able to carve through Portugal's flanks fairly easily. Bit difficult to do that against Iran's tactics though.

Morocco did too earlier today, it's just that they lacked an end product.

I'm enjoying the game tbh, it's interesting to see such a defensive setup and Spain really struggling to create chances.

Contrary to some replies, since Iran are not creating any attacking plays I would encourage more shooting from the Spanish, even if it has to be from distance. If they don't try they certainly won't score.

Surely Iran have to beat one of Spain or Portugal really? Draw both and they're on 5 points along with Portugal, and if Spain beat Morocco they're on 5 as well and Iran will be out on goals scored.

Unless Portugal and Iran draw 10-10 :D 

A draw isn't going to do Iran much good unless they think they can beat Portugal.

A draw would be historic. Iran are taking each game as it comes.

It's not like England where when the group draw is made you're planning potential knockout opponents. Iran have just got only their 2nd ever win and clean sheet in only their 4th ever World Cup, and now they're playing two tournament favourites. Anything is huge and will be their biggest point or win in their entire history.

Archived