Is this true?

Bliss Seeker

Never heard about this being an official rule but it's something I often think about when a tean scores for some reason. Sure there was a video knocking around where one side that had just conceded, other side run off celebrating and they went and kicked off and scored. :D

59 minutes ago, Weezer said:

I'm sure there's a video kicking around that shows a team taking a quick kick off whilst the opposition are still celebrating and it being legal.

I know it has happened when a team where celebrating in their own half:

46 minutes ago, Sons FC said:

I'd be surprised if this was true. All players have to be in their own half before the game restarts.

I believe the actual rule is worded that no players can be in the opposition half before the game restarts. If all players are not on the pitch at all, there are no players in the opposition half, so the game can kick off.

1 hour ago, Weezer said:

I'm sure there's a video kicking around that shows a team taking a quick kick off whilst the opposition are still celebrating and it being legal.

Happened in a UEFA U16 game between Macedonia and Gibraltar a few years back. Macedonia scored what they thought was a late winner, all were celebrating but they were in their own half so the ref allowed it - Gibralter kid basically just tapped into an empty net.

Here we go: Note how the Gib players all ran into the Macedonia half to celebrate their goal.

47 minutes ago, Razzler said:

I'm pretty sure I have seen a team take a quick kick off when players are still on the pitch. Also, isn't, you know, the keeper still on the pitch down the other end?

Yes, because, as explained in the last few posts, it's not being on the pitch that counts, it's being in the opponents half. 

28 minutes ago, ham_aka_stam said:

It is true by my understanding, if they'd all left the field of play, no Portugal players would be in Spain's half, so Spain could have kicked off

14 minutes ago, Confused Clarity said:

It's half true, in that, there is a rule for players on the field and the kick off, but it's around being in the opponents half.

I bloody well need a definitive answer here! 

Can we not tweet a ref or something? 

It'd be interesting is a ref allowed a kick off whether it's the rules or not. Like the 'quick free kick' when a keeper is lining up a wall, if you whisper it to the ref and he says ok then sometimes it's ok and others it's not.

I am sure I recall a quick kick off when players have been celebrating on the pitch and it being allowed by a ref too

1. Goalkeeper is only player in his half.

2. The rest of the team are off the pitch celebrating, ergo they are not in either half

3. The game can be kicked off with only the GK as opposition

4. Portugal example above, 1 player stayed on the pitch in the oppositions half, the game could not be restarted, unless he went to his half, or left the pitch...

That's how I understand it

6 minutes ago, ryan045 said:

I wouldn’t worry about it Bliss, it’s too unsporting to ever happen. Can’t see a ref allowing it.

This is football we're talking about, not snooker. Football in 2018 has no morals.

37 minutes ago, Bliss Seeker said:

I bloody well need a definitive answer here! 

Can we not tweet a ref or something? 

Fa Rules only state players can't be in each others half but can start when all in own half or off field (assuming that was meant for receiving treatment but celebrating would also count). If a team decided to go for it would the ref really call it back on moral grounds? Rules are rules for me so should be allowed.

Also while going through rules found out you can score directly from kick off (think everyone knows that) but if you score a direct own goal from a kick off the other team only gets a corner. Wonder if that's ever happened! 

3 minutes ago, Marc.Foster050 said:

if you score a direct own goal from a kick off the other team only gets a corner. Wonder if that's ever happened! 

Same story if you put it directly into your own goal from a goal kick. I learned that on International Superstar Soccer 98!

3 hours ago, Razzler said:

If you take a throw in and it goes in the goal without touching a player it's also a corner

Was it Villa that took a throw in and the guy threw it back to his GK but he missed his first touch and the ball went straight in and it counted? So there was a rule change after that then?

38 minutes ago, craigcwwe said:

Was it Villa that took a throw in and the guy threw it back to his GK but he missed his first touch and the ball went straight in and it counted? So there was a rule change after that then?

Don’t know about the rule change, but that was Villa yeah. Enkleman in the Derby 

6 hours ago, Razzler said:

I'm pretty sure I have seen a team take a quick kick off when players are still on the pitch. Also, isn't, you know, the keeper still on the pitch down the other end?

In the video I linked, they were all still on the pitch and the keeper ran out of his goal to celebrate. Harsh learning curve for them at 15-16 though.

I think everyone thought Enckelman had touched the ball as it went under his foot.

I’m sure he said afterwards he hadn’t touched it, but it didn’t help that his first reaction was putting his hands to his head rather than trying to appeal.

2 hours ago, craigcwwe said:

It came off the bottom of his boot, poor old Peter.

On 18/06/2018 at 17:05, Wigmore said:

I believe the actual rule is worded that no players can be in the opposition half before the game restarts. If all players are not on the pitch at all, there are no players in the opposition half, so the game can kick off.

So taking this one step further - if the players are off the pitch and the ref allows a kick off - if the players ran back onto the pitch without permission (like players waiting to return to the game from injury) would the game be stopped?

17 hours ago, craigcwwe said:

It was Villa against Leicester IIRC and the ball went under the keeper's foot and in.

There was no touch and it should have been a corner but IIRC the ref gave a goal. Then there was a lot of slow-mo to show the keeper did in fact touch it, in which case a goal would have been correct. I don't think he touched though, they messed up.

There was no rule change, it was just the ref got the decision wrong by not awarding a corner but then the 'it grazed the bottom of the keeper's foot' was used to show how the ref was correct to cover up how much of a mess they made!

14 hours ago, Bliss Seeker said:

How does that work if a player is off-field for an injury then?  Technically the kick-off cannot take place.

16 hours ago, Razzler said:

It was Villa against Leicester IIRC and the ball went under the keeper's foot and in.

There was no touch and it should have been a corner but IIRC the ref gave a goal. Then there was a lot of slow-mo to show the keeper did in fact touch it, in which case a goal would have been correct. I don't think he touched though, they messed up.

There was no rule change, it was just the ref got the decision wrong by not awarding a corner but then the 'it grazed the bottom of the keeper's foot' was used to show how the ref was correct to cover up how much of a mess they made!

It was Villa v Birmingham - just to clarify (painful memories)

On 20/06/2018 at 08:23, ham_aka_stam said:

How does that work if a player is off-field for an injury then?  Technically the kick-off cannot take place.

That short list of rules mentioned by the Independent consists one thing which was changed a few years ago I think. Now you can pass back from the kick-off. So it might be that the "team in their own half" thing has been changed recently as well and players know it but we don't, neither does that newspaper. Who knows, would have to be confirmed by a referee here, do we have any on this forum?

So Panama tried taking a kick off today whilst England were celebrating, from what I can see from the video all the England players (except Pickford) are off the pitch and the ref pulled it back. 

1 hour ago, RubenJ said:

The rules clearly state all players have to be in their own half before kick-off. I don't get the confusion over this?

People have read that to read that the players can't be in the opposition half before kick off.  Ergo, if every player is off the pitch celebrating they can kick off. 

It's obviously wrong, as has been said a few times now but people have put 2 and 2 together and got 9393848292. 

2 hours ago, Bliss Seeker said:

People have read that to read that the players can't be in the opposition half before kick off.  Ergo, if every player is off the pitch celebrating they can kick off. 

It's obviously wrong, as has been said a few times now but people have put 2 and 2 together and got 9393848292. 

So, does that mean that if a player is being treated outside the pitch the match can't be restarted?

Archived