Morocco v Iran

git2thachoppa

Iran are without their key defensive midfielder (think like Carrick or Pirlo), but boast an exciting, fluid, varied and in-form and award-winning attack.

Most familiar name might be Ghoddos, who led Ostersunds to Europa League upsets, with goals and assists in games against Galatasaray, PAOK, through the group stage and in a historic win at Arsenal.

Don't know a lot about Morocco, but they struggle away from home, but got a win when it mattered in Ivory Coast to qualify. Their players play for more prestigious clubs and they're slight favourites.

But can an unspectacular Moroccan attack squeeze a goal through an Iranian defence that kept 9 cleans sheets in 9 to qualify? Can Iran reach their attacking potential and get past Morocco's defence led by Juventus' Benatia?

Normally you'd put money on 0-0, but this is the must-win game for both teams, and the last match to be set up like that ended with a 5-0 win for the hosts...

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Bliss Seeker said:

Worst match thread ever. 

When is it? 

What channel? 

What time? 

What day? 

Where is it? 

What is it? 

Google it, but you should know all this by now, young man.

What is it? I mean really. Dilly ding dilly dong it is World Cup man, come on!

Just now, git2thachoppa said:

Google it, but you should know all this by now, young man.

What is it? I mean really. Dilly ding dilly dong it is World Cup man, come on!

Stop being rubbish. Sort it out.

You went though all that effort bolding stuff, and you can't even be bothered putting the time up. 

Ridiculous. 

Rubbish. 

Disgraceful. 

Just now, Bliss Seeker said:

Stop being rubbish. Sort it out.

You went though all that effort bolding stuff, and you can't even be bothered putting the time up. 

Ridiculous. 

Rubbish. 

Disgraceful.

In all this time you could've looked at the TV guide, but I'm betting before you entered the thread you weren't so bothered!

Seriously think Morocco can make the last eight. Didn’t concede a single goal in qualifying. They squeeze past Portugal, then beat one of those drab teams we’ve just seen in Group A in the R16. Job done.

you can get 22/1 on them going out in the quarters which looks a fantastic bet

I'm not expecting much from this game, to be honest. 0-0 draw.

Right, that's ITV's obligatory five-minute discussion about Morocco and Iran done. Now to hear the latest from the England camp... after the break.

3 hours ago, craigcwwe said:

Can't see anything but a Morocco win here. 

52 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

On paper, Morocco is a class above Iran

Rankings aren't the whole story but Iran are above Morocco in both the FIFA rankings and the Elo ratings. So I think it's misleading to say that Morocco are a class above even if they do possess more well known players.

Dunno what to expect here really. Hopefully a draw, to help us. ;) 

1 minute ago, craigcwwe said:

Iran with 14 clean sheets in their last 18 games and Morocco didn't concede a goal in qualifying. 

0-0 then surely. 

Don’t see this at all. Both got Portugal and Spain to come, surely both are going to have to go for the win if they want to get through.

Just now, Rob1981 said:

Don’t see this at all. Both got Portugal and Spain to come, surely both are going to have to go for the win if they want to get through.

If it's still a draw with 15 minutes to go, Iran will get Morocco to come at them and be more happy with a point.

Iran will be confident of getting at least a point against Spain/Portugal while Morocco probably won't. It will also play directly into Iran's fierce counter-attacking hands.

If Morocco are aware of this, they'll sit back too and it'll peter out into a draw probably.

2 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

Counter that with, a defeat and its done... a point and either will still hope to snag a shock win over Portugal/Spain.

I can only see this being turd, BUT im never right, so lets jump on a 3-3 appetizer for the big one later :onmehead:

1 minute ago, bestbrother said:

Im with @Bliss Seeker this makes me feel like im getting ready for a Leyland DAF Trophy game :(

Its the World Cup, INSPIRE US with the threads :mad:

Inspire you to what?

Does listing a kickoff time inspire you more than a short review of the teams and the things that will come into play?

2 minutes ago, git2thachoppa said:

Inspire you to what?

Does listing a kickoff time inspire you more than a short review of the teams and the things that will come into play?

You need flair in an OP.

Archived