So, who is getting out of the groups then? Have we not done this yet?

Razzler

Have we had a top 2 from the groups thread yet? Can't believe we haven't but didn't see one (no doubt it's right under my nose!)

Who is your top 2s??

I haven't done any until I am sure this thread hasn't already been done a couple of weeks ago :D

That Poland, Senegal, Colombia, Japan group ... I think I can nod and agree with any combination of top 2 there tbh, no 'star power' in the group but all interesting games

GROUP A: URUGUAY, EGYPT. Russia are even worse than people think. Plus the refereeing favours traditionally handed out to the hosts are impossible because of VAR. Nobody has been talking about Saudi Arabia much but they beat Russia in the opener and draw with Uruguay to give themselves a great chance of going through. But comes down to Egypt v Saudis on the final match day to decide second place and Egypt squeeze through 1-0 in a tight uninspiring game.

GROUP B: SPAIN, MOROCCO. First upset here. Shades of Mexico 86 as Portugal are beaten by Morocco and dumped out in the group stage. The sight of Ronaldo at full time becomes one of the iconic images of the tournament - hands on hips, cheeks puffed out, tears in his eyes. He’s out of his final World Cup with a game still to play. 

GROUP C: FRANCE, PERU. France cruise through the group without any rifts in the camp and look like potential winners. Odds on them lifting the trophy are slashed. Nobody is talking about Peru much but they can easily finish ahead of Denmark and Australia here, both sides that are far weaker than in previous years. 

GROUP D: ARGENTINA, CROATIA. Argentina make a slow start but still have enough to come through on top of a pretty weak group. Croatia hold off Nigeria for second. Iceland have the media fawning over their travelling fans a la Euro 2016, but don’t look very good at all. Lightning doesn’t strike twice on the big stage.

GROUP E: BRAZIL, SWITZERLAND. Brazil look annoyingly good throughout. Switzerland don’t look special but grind out the results they need as only Switzerland can. Serbia and Costa Rica both massive disappointments.

GROUP F: MEXICO, GERMANY. Germany and Mexico draw in their opener which allows Mexico to finish ahead of Germany on goal difference. This means Brazil and Germany have to play in the round of 16, and means England are on a path with only Mexico or Switzerland between them and the semis. It’s happening lads. Football’s coming home. South Korea and Sweden offer nothing. Tyldesley is surprised by how bad Sweden are because a lot of their players 10-15 years ago were in the Best-League-In-The-World, even though that isn’t the case now.

GROUP G: BELGIUM, ENGLAND. We’ve got enough in the tank to beat Belgium if we go up a gear but we play out a 0-0 draw on the final matchday to ensure we finish second in the group and avoid Brazil and Germany in the quarters. Arise Sir Gareth.

GROUP H: POLAND, SENEGAL. Toughest one to call but the order of the games helps Poland. They go into their final game and brush Japan aside, while Senegal and Colombia have to play each other. 

GROUP A: URUGUAY, RUSSIA. I think Russia are awful but not convinced Egypt will have the goals in them, I expect some favourable Russian decisions to eek into the next round and no problems for Uruguay

GROUP B: SPAIN, Portugal. Big two playing in the opening game always lends itself to a surprise as a defeat there and it changes the dynamic of the 2nd group game Morocco potentially having a win under their belt when they face Portugal next.

GROUP C: FRANCE, DENAMRK. Easy for France, Denmark and Peru for the 2nd spot, not buying into the Peru love too much and Denmark have some creativity in there.

GROUP D: ARGENTINA, NIGERIA. Argie always start of 'can they do it', always seem to have flaws but end up at the sharp end of the tournament. Don't think they're amazing but think they'll win this group and pretty tight for the rest of it with teams taking points off each other, I can see Nigeria sneaking in.

GROUP E: BRAZIL, SWITZERLAND. Easy group for Brazil, Swiss to bore their way through

GROUP F: GERMANY, MEXICO. Don't think Sweden or Korea are all that

GROUP G: BELGIUM, ENGLAND. Oh man do we need an opening win, take so much pressure off, wouldn't it! We should be getting through here despite concerns about our lack of creativty and cutting age, we have pace and a goal scorer, should be enough for the group. I'd love to be 2 wins from 2 going into the Belgium game with not much pressure! Oh, it's the hope that hurts :p

GROUP H: SENEGAL, COLOMBIA. Super tough group, I'd take any combination of these 4 teams tbh, feels like Poland had their day, Colombia maybe sneaking through

3 hours ago, Rob1981 said:

Plus the refereeing favours traditionally handed out to the hosts are impossible because of VAR

You might want to watch a few VAR games before claiming that. :D :D 

My prediction:

Group A Uruguay & Russia
Group B Spain & Portugal
Group C France & Denmark
Group D Argentina & Croatia
Group E Brazil & Serbia
Group F Germany & Mexico
Group G Belgium & England
Group H Poland & Colombia

Think we've already done this before by predicting the entire competition in some website, but why not. I've changed my mind on a few groups anyway.

Group A - URUGUAY, RUSSIA - Uruguay win the group with ease. Russia still manage to scrap through by beating a disappointing Egypt, despite drawing with the Saudis in a very poor opening match. The Saudis beat Egypt for 3rd place rather suprisingly.

Group B - SPAIN, PORTUGAL - Fairly easy for Spain, and we just about manage to get 2 narrow wins in the other matches, despite every single match in the group being low scoring as Iran and Morocco prove to be strong defensive sides and Spain/Portugal not exactly thrilling goalscorers.

Group C - FRANCE, DENMARK - France get momentum on the back of an easy smashing of a very poor Aussies in the opening match, and top the group. The Peruvians are overawed by the occasion and are beaten by Denmark which costs them qualification.

Group D - ARGENTINA, NIGERIA - Slightly surprise as Nigeria overcome a Croatia in disarray and an Iceland that cannot bring the magic again after the Euros. Argentina look off-form but still stumble to somehow top the group with just 5 points.

Group E - BRAZIL, SWITZERLAND - Brazil look exhilarating as they dance past everyone and become the top favourites. The Swiss prove much stronger than the Serbs beating them comfortably in the final match. Costa Rica aren't terrible but don't feature much.

Group F - GERMANY, SWEDEN - Something looks off about Germany's game but they still top the group. Mexico are a surprise disappointment and Sweden sneak past them instead. The Koreans are poor.

Group G - BELGIUM, ENGLAND - Very comfortable for both Belgium and England, both qualified with 2 wins in the first 2 matches. The Belgians top the group on goal difference. Tunisia wake up and smash Panama 4-1 in the final meaningless match.

Group H - COLOMBIA, SENEGAL - The Colombians seal qualification early with 2 wins in the first 2 matches, leading them to relax in the final one and offer a crucial point to Senegal, who sneak in ahead of Poland. Japan are awful.

--------------------------
ROUND OF 16

URUGUAY-Portugal - A tense but highly competitive 120 minutes culminates in a surprisingly enjoyable 0-0 draw (for the neutrals), but then a penalty shootout in which luck smiles to the Uruguayans.

SPAIN-Russia - It could've been 5 or 6 or 7, but Spain only manage to score 2, which gives the hosts an honourable exit.

FRANCE-Nigeria - Nigeria keeps a very nervous France at bay for 70 minutes, until 3 late goals make people forget about it.

ARGENTINA-Denmark - A surprisingly assured win from Argentina who look like starting to grow into the competition. 

BRAZIL-Sweden - Another easy win for the Brazilians over another mediocre European side.

GERMANY-Switzerland - A 3-1 win for Germany but only after extra time after a very creditable Swiss performance.

BELGIUM-Senegal - What could've been a dominant Belgian win is spoiled by 2 clinical counter-attack goals by Senegal, yet the Belgians still win on penalties.

Colombia-ENGLAND - Southgate's side come of age with a professional 1-0 win over a strong Colombian side.

QUARTER-FINALS

URUGUAY-France - A bit of a surprise, as the favourites France, unassured of themselves, get beaten by a highly organized side, who make the semi-finals again like 8 years ago.

BRAZIL-Belgium - Becomes a world cup classic as it's another 2-2 then penalties thriller involving Belgium. At the end this time it's the Brazilians winning the shootout.

SPAIN-Argentina - A finally gelled Argentina sees Messi score a spectacular early goal, and could've scored more against a surprisingly rattled Spain, but Spain still come back in the 2nd half to turn the match around, within 90 minutes.

GERMANY-England - It's a step too far from England but they only fall in extra time. Germany look increasingly tired and nervous.

SEMI-FINALS

Uruguay-BRAZIL - Brazil's legs look like they're starting to go off, but they still seal a final place with a goal through an individual moment.

SPAIN-Germany - Germany finally melt down against a confident opponent, 2-0 loss in regular time.

3RD PLACE MATCH

URUGUAY-Germany - Uruguay seem more motivated for the 3rd place match than their illustrous opponents, and therefore gain these honours they had missed 8 years ago in a repeat match.

FINAL

Brazil-SPAIN - This very much feels like it's Spain's coronation match from the beginning against a now jaded-looking Brazil, but they keep on missing chances. Diego Costa's unbelievable miss prompts talk of pro-Brazil sabotage, yet it's the also part-Brazilian Thiago Alcântara who scores the World Cup winning goal 7 minutes from regular time. 1-0 for Spain.

Group A Uruguay Egypt

Group B Spain Portugal

Group C France Denmark

Group D Croatia Argentina

Group E Brazil Serbia

Group F Germany Mexico

Group G Belgium England

Group H Colombia Senegal

Group A Russia and Uruguay
Group B Portugal and Spain
Group C Denmark and France
Group D Argentina and Croatia
Group E Brazil and Serbia
Group F Germany and Mexico 
Group G Belgium and England
Group H Colombia and Poland

Here's the predictor thread if anyone's interested. I'll quickly explain my group predictions:

GROUP A: Uruguay and Russia
Three wins for Uruguay, no questions asked. A terrible Russia team somehow scrapes through ahead of Egypt because they're the hosts and the Egyptians are too reliant on Salah.

GROUP B: Spain and Portugal
As you would expect. Portugal will beat Spain in a five-goal thriller, before Spain go on to top the group after the Portuguese grind out two draws against the 'minnows'. Iran's dogged defence will finish 3rd.

GROUP C: France and Denmark
Quelle surprise, Les Bleus ont trois victoires. Denmark, Peru and Australia win a game apiece, but Eriksen, Sisto and 'Not Bendtner' should give the Danes a vital edge on goal difference.

GROUP D: Croatia and Nigeria
Yes, you read that right. Messi aside, Argentina are a mess and don't have a defence, so they'll beat Iceland before falling apart. Croatia's midfield quality should get them through, with Nigeria sneaking into the last 16.

GROUP E: Brazil and Switzerland
Brazil are my tournament favourites, so they'll progress with ease. Switzerland will be just too strong for the other two teams. Though Navas is not "the most overrated goalkeeper in world football", Costa Rica bring up the rear.

GROUP F: Germany and Mexico
Despite recent poor form, Germany are top scorers in the group stage and take maximum points. Mexico always reach the last 16 and then go out, but this year... they'll reach the last 16 and then go out.

GROUP G: Belgium and England
No surprises here. Both favourites will quickly secure their progress with two wins from two, with top spot being decided on the final day in Kaliningrad. I reckon the Red Devils will narrowly beat our boys to it.

GROUP H: Colombia and Poland
Colombia are clear group favourites, with their only slip-up being a draw against Poland. Lewandowski is the key to the Poles' qualification for Round 2. Senegal unexpectedly have a stinker and return home with one point vs Japan.

Group A: Uruguay, Russia

Group B: Spain, Portugal

Group C: France, Peru

Group D: Argentina, Croatia

Group E: Brazil, Serbia

Group F: Germany, Mexico

Group G: Belgium, England

Group H: Colombia, Senegal.

GROUP STAGE:
A: Uruguay, Egypt - Uruguay should sail through but Egypt will make it despite Salah not being on top form. Russia won't get the home help and Saudi Arabia are usually awful.

B: Spain, Portugal - Easy. :D Maybe can see Portugal grinding out a win against Spain though.

C: France, Peru - France are easy picks but I think Peru get in, especially buoyed by the return of Guerrero.

D: Argentina, Iceland - Easy for Argentina but I think Iceland might take advantage of meltdowns for the other two teams and sneak through.

E: Brazil, Serbia - After Brazil the rest can all qualify, but Serbia have the most quality so I pick them.

F: Germany, Mexico - Pretty easy choice.

G: England, Belgium - Top two are easy (hopefully), think we'll finish ahead of Belgium on goals scored/difference.

H: Senegal, Poland - There's always a crazy group and I reckon it'll be this one. All 4 teams have a chance but I can see Colombia being underwhelming.

---

ROUND OF 16:
Uruguay vs. Portugal - Portugal grind their way to victory.
France vs. Iceland - Repeat of the Euro 2016 quarter-final.
Brazil vs. Mexico - Same old story for unlucky Mexico. :D
England vs. Poland - The sort of game England could easily lose, but I think we can get through this.
Spain vs. Egypt - This might be similar to Algeria-Germany in 2014, closer than people think. Can't see beyond Spain though.

Argentina vs. Peru - This'll go to extra time after a horrible match, then Messi wins it for Argentina.
Germany vs. Serbia - Very tricky potentially for Germany but I think they'll come through. Serbia might be the next Belgium though, proper good youngsters coming through.
Senegal vs. Belgium - Senegal play their best match for 16 years as Belgium flatter to deceive again.

---

QUARTER-FINALS:
Portugal vs. France - This could go either way, but I think France get revenge for the Euro 2016 final.
Brazil vs. England - Bye bye England. :( It would take another meltdown by the Brazilians for us to win this I think.
Spain vs. Argentina - I don't really fancy either team to win the tournament funnily enough this year. :D I'll go with Messi again to drag Argentina through.
Germany vs. Senegal - I hope Senegal would win this, could be an amazing match but the Germans surely have too much guile for them.

---

SEMI-FINALS:
France vs. Brazil - Match of the tournament right here, should probably be the final. I'll go with the Brazilians to banish a few memories of 2014 with a win here.
Argentina vs. Germany - Rematch of the 2014 final but both teams aren't as good as they were then. The Germans will win easily I think.

--

3rd PLACE PLAYOFF:
France vs. Argentina - Hopefully a crazy match like usual but the French should win this.

--

FINAL:
Brazil vs. Germany - Close to call and a very cagey match but let's go with Brazil, even though I said Germany on the FIFA predictor. :D 

--

2018 FIFA WORLD CUP CHAMPIONS
                 BRAZIL

Image result for neymar brazil celebration

---

Yes I'm bored. :D

19 hours ago, noikeee said:

(...)

FINAL

Brazil-SPAIN - This very much feels like it's Spain's coronation match from the beginning against a now jaded-looking Brazil, but they keep on missing chances. Diego Costa's unbelievable miss prompts talk of pro-Brazil sabotage, yet it's the also part-Brazilian Thiago Alcântara who scores the World Cup winning goal 7 minutes from regular time. 1-0 for Spain.

Well I didn't expect to change my mind 1 day after posting the predictions before any match is played. :lol: I'm not so sure Spain can go all the way now with a manager change 2 days before their first match....

On 12/06/2018 at 15:27, noikeee said:

Think we've already done this before by predicting the entire competition in some website, but why not. I've changed my mind on a few groups anyway.

Group A - URUGUAY, RUSSIA - Uruguay win the group with ease. Russia still manage to scrap through by beating a disappointing Egypt, despite drawing with the Saudis in a very poor opening match. The Saudis beat Egypt for 3rd place rather suprisingly.

Group B - SPAIN, PORTUGAL - Fairly easy for Spain, and we just about manage to get 2 narrow wins in the other matches, despite every single match in the group being low scoring as Iran and Morocco prove to be strong defensive sides and Spain/Portugal not exactly thrilling goalscorers.

Group C - FRANCE, DENMARK - France get momentum on the back of an easy smashing of a very poor Aussies in the opening match, and top the group. The Peruvians are overawed by the occasion and are beaten by Denmark which costs them qualification.

Group D - ARGENTINA, NIGERIA - Slightly surprise as Nigeria overcome a Croatia in disarray and an Iceland that cannot bring the magic again after the Euros. Argentina look off-form but still stumble to somehow top the group with just 5 points.

Group E - BRAZIL, SWITZERLAND - Brazil look exhilarating as they dance past everyone and become the top favourites. The Swiss prove much stronger than the Serbs beating them comfortably in the final match. Costa Rica aren't terrible but don't feature much.

Group F - GERMANY, SWEDEN - Something looks off about Germany's game but they still top the group. Mexico are a surprise disappointment and Sweden sneak past them instead. The Koreans are poor.

Group G - BELGIUM, ENGLAND - Very comfortable for both Belgium and England, both qualified with 2 wins in the first 2 matches. The Belgians top the group on goal difference. Tunisia wake up and smash Panama 4-1 in the final meaningless match.

Group H - COLOMBIA, SENEGAL - The Colombians seal qualification early with 2 wins in the first 2 matches, leading them to relax in the final one and offer a crucial point to Senegal, who sneak in ahead of Poland. Japan are awful.

ROUND OF 16

URUGUAY-Portugal - A tense but highly competitive 120 minutes culminates in a surprisingly enjoyable 0-0 draw (for the neutrals), but then a penalty shootout in which luck smiles to the Uruguayans.

SPAIN-Russia - It could've been 5 or 6 or 7, but Spain only manage to score 2, which gives the hosts an honourable exit.

FRANCE-Nigeria - Nigeria keeps a very nervous France at bay for 70 minutes, until 3 late goals make people forget about it.

ARGENTINA-Denmark - A surprisingly assured win from Argentina who look like starting to grow into the competition. 

BRAZIL-Sweden - Another easy win for the Brazilians over another mediocre European side.

GERMANY-Switzerland - A 3-1 win for Germany but only after extra time after a very creditable Swiss performance.

BELGIUM-Senegal - What could've been a dominant Belgian win is spoiled by 2 clinical counter-attack goals by Senegal, yet the Belgians still win on penalties.

Colombia-ENGLAND - Southgate's side come of age with a professional 1-0 win over a strong Colombian side.

QUARTER-FINALS

URUGUAY-France - A bit of a surprise, as the favourites France, unassured of themselves, get beaten by a highly organized side, who make the semi-finals again like 8 years ago.

BRAZIL-Belgium - Becomes a world cup classic as it's another 2-2 then penalties thriller involving Belgium. At the end this time it's the Brazilians winning the shootout.

SPAIN-Argentina - A finally gelled Argentina sees Messi score a spectacular early goal, and could've scored more against a surprisingly rattled Spain, but Spain still come back in the 2nd half to turn the match around, within 90 minutes.

GERMANY-England - It's a step too far from England but they only fall in extra time. Germany look increasingly tired and nervous.

SEMI-FINALS

Uruguay-BRAZIL - Brazil's legs look like they're starting to go off, but they still seal a final place with a goal through an individual moment.

SPAIN-Germany - Germany finally melt down against a confident opponent, 2-0 loss in regular time.

3RD PLACE MATCH

URUGUAY-Germany - Uruguay seem more motivated for the 3rd place match than their illustrous opponents, and therefore gain these honours they had missed 8 years ago in a repeat match.

FINAL

I think a Spain/Brazil final would be pretty dire. Thankfully with the news today I don't see Spain making it that far. 

On 12/06/2018 at 15:13, Nordan said:

My prediction:

Group A Uruguay & Russia
Group B Spain & Portugal
Group C France & Denmark
Group E Brazil & Serbia
Group F Germany & Mexico

This but Croatia, Colombia and England top

Group A Uruguay & Russia
Group B Portugal & Spain
Group C France & Peru
Group D Croatia & Argentina
Group E Brazil & Costa Rica
Group F Germany & Mexico
Group G England & Belgium
Group H Colombia & Senegal

I really don't think Russia will get out of their group. I'll be surprised if they get more than 2 points. I think they'll lose tomorrow.

Can't wait though. 

E: 

Group A - Uruguay & Egypt

Group B - Portugal & Morocco

Group C - France & Peru

Group D - Argentina & Nigeria

Group E - Brazil & Serbia

Group F - Germany & Mexico

Group G - Belgium & England

Group H - Poland & Senegal

Spain out in the groups two tournaments in a row the big upset. Will replace the "Defending Champions lose in groups" shock. Will begin with a comfortable Portuguese win on Friday, 3-1, to smash their confidence to bits. Morocco sneak past Spain on GD after drawing with them and matching their result in the other game against Iran (both 1-0s). 

My prediction:

Group A Uruguay & Egypt
Group B Spain & Portugal
Group C France & Denmark
Group E Brazil & Switzerland
Group F Germany & Mexico
Group H Senegal & Colombia

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/06/2018 at 16:13, Nordan said:

My prediction:

Group A Uruguay & Russia
Group B Spain & Portugal
Group C France & Denmark
Group E Brazil & Serbia
Group F Germany & Mexico

I got 13 correct. Happy with that. :)

On 12/06/2018 at 21:18, CFuller said:

GROUP A: Uruguay and Russia

GROUP B: Spain and Portugal

GROUP C: France and Denmark

GROUP D: Croatia and Nigeria

GROUP E: Brazil and Switzerland

GROUP F: Germany and Mexico

GROUP G: Belgium and England

GROUP H: Colombia and Poland

13/16 for me too. All 13 are in the right order as well. :)

I got 13 too (you'll have to trust me ;)). Thought Serbia, Senegal and obviously Germany would make it. Serbia and Senegal were extremely unlucky not to make it out due to a 90+minute goal and yellow cards. IMO also better teams than Switzerland and Japan respectively. 

I got 8/16 :D

I went for the bold predictions of Egypt, Morocco, Senegal, Serbia, Nigeria and Peru... I had 4 African teams ffs, 0 made it in reality :lol:

10 minutes ago, JDownie said:

I got 8/16 :D

I went for the bold predictions of Egypt, Morocco, Senegal, Serbia, Nigeria and Peru... I has 4 African teams ffs, 0 made it in reality :lol:

:applause::lol:

On 12/06/2018 at 22:18, av3ry said:

Group A: Uruguay, Russia

Group B: Spain, Portugal

Group C: France, Peru

Group D: Argentina, Croatia

Group E: Brazil, Serbia

Group F: Germany, Mexico

Group G: Belgium, England

Group H: Colombia, Senegal.

Only got ABDG. H was close, F was no where near, E was close, C was hopeless.

If we're totalling it up I have 12/16.

On 12/06/2018 at 23:07, Haguey said:

GROUP STAGE:
A: Uruguay, Egypt - 1/2

B: Spain, Portugal - 3/4

C: France, Peru - 4/6

D: Argentina, Iceland - 5/8

E: Brazil, Serbia - 6/10

F: Germany, Mexico - 7/12

G: England, Belgium - 9/14

H: Senegal, Poland - 9/16 - 0/2 in this group :D

9/16 is not a great score... Still think it'll be Brazil (or Our Boys of course) who win it.

On 14/06/2018 at 01:13, GunmaN1905 said:

Group A Uruguay & Russia
Group B Portugal & Spain
Group C France & Peru
Group D Croatia & Argentina
Group E Brazil & Costa Rica
Group F Germany & Mexico
Group G England & Belgium
Group H Colombia & Senegal

Wrong order in B
Peru being unlucky and Denmark edging them in C.
Thought Costa Rica was better. :D
Germany obviously shocked everyone.
Wrong order in G
Senegal getting knocked out on yellow cards.

Archived