Dropdown menu no longer selectable

FM17 problem. Has anyone encountered an issue where a dropdown menu can no longer be selected? Unfortunately this menu seems to be essential to the game as it's where the team is selected (see image).

It has happened before on previous saves and the only way around it was to start a new game. It happened again today but no matter what I do, I cannot get it back. I have tried: verifying the game, clearing the cache, and even deleting and reinstalling the game from Steam, but even when I choose a new game on a clean install I can no longer use the Quick Pick dropdown to pick the team.

I often read of issues that are game-breaking but this one truly is.

Rather bizarrely, when I load a previous save the dropdown menu is active - it's only my most recent save and any new ones that have it unselectable.

Any help would be appreciated.

missing dropdown menu.JPG

Sounds like it might be  a bug, but, the only time I have had a dropdown greyed out is when the oprions are not relevant for some reason.

From your image, the Quick Pick menu, off the top of my head, is all things the AssMan does - so, have you got Staff responsiilites set up,  is your AssMan high enough attributes-wise to be able to carry out the request etc etc.

8 hours ago, FrazT said:

Have you changed the skin or are using any other third party graphics?

No, I have been playing with the Football Manager dark skin since release day, and have never downloaded any graphic packs, tactics, or alternative skins.

The option is just no longer available to me in any new game I start, either at an existing club or even when I create a club.

8 hours ago, Snorks said:

Sounds like it might be  a bug, but, the only time I have had a dropdown greyed out is when the oprions are not relevant for some reason.

From your image, the Quick Pick menu, off the top of my head, is all things the AssMan does - so, have you got Staff responsiilites set up,  is your AssMan high enough attributes-wise to be able to carry out the request etc etc.

Thanks for the suggestion but the option is unselectable even on a new create a club game, before I have even recruited an assistant manager.

I can only assume that some local file on my computer has become corrupted in some way, as uninstalling the game and then reinstalling it did not fix it - yet the option is there on an old save, and I have made no alterations to any options.

26 minutes ago, roykela said:

Does it work if you recruit an Assistant Manager?

Unfortunately it doesn't make any difference whether an assistant manager is there or not - I have started new games with one and without one and the option is still greyed out.

I have also this morning deleted my preferences and cache folders from my Sports Interactive folder on my hard drive, so the game had to rebuild itself when it was next started up, and still the dropdown menu cannot be selected.

4 minutes ago, dalesinwales said:

Unfortunately it doesn't make any difference whether an assistant manager is there or not - I have started new games with one and without one and the option is still greyed out.

Might be another "dumb question" but have you chosen your formation?
Have to choose that before being able to have the dropdown available as well.

2 minutes ago, roykela said:

Might be another "dumb question" but have you chosen your formation?
Have to choose that before being able to have the dropdown available as well.

That's another good suggestion but the issue started while I was a good few months into a save, so I already had several formations in play. On a new game it doesn't matter whether I have a formation loaded or not, unfortunately.

1 minute ago, dalesinwales said:

That's another good suggestion but the issue started while I was a good few months into a save, so I already had several formations in play. On a new game it doesn't matter whether I have a formation loaded or not, unfortunately.

Annoying. Unfortunately i can't think of anything else at the moment :(

Just now, roykela said:

Annoying. Unfortunately i can't think of anything else at the moment :(

Thanks for the suggestions. The game is still playable, it just means there's a lot of extra unnecessary clicking every match day (and if I wanted that I'd go back to playing FM18 ;))

2 hours ago, Snorks said:

DO you use a 3rd party skin?

13 hours ago, dalesinwales said:

No, I have been playing with the Football Manager dark skin since release day, and have never downloaded any graphic packs, tactics, or alternative skins.

The option is just no longer available to me in any new game I start, either at an existing club or even when I create a club.

Literally a few posts in..

I think that what caused this issue was quitting the game from within a match without saving (I had to go out while I match was just starting, and quit rather than wait for the match to play out). I first noticed the greyed out dropdown when I next loaded the game and it has come back several times since.

I am now playing on a different laptop without any problem at all, so maybe something on my original computer took exception to the forced quit.