England's World Cup 23

oche balboa

Butland, Pickford, McCarthy
Walker, Trippier, Bertrand, Stones, Cahill, Maguire, Smalling
Henderson, Dier, Livermore, Loftus-Cheek, Alli, Lallana, Lingard, Sterling, Young
Kane, Vardy, Rashford, Welbeck

Sessengon from Fulham should be in the squad but wont 

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, toon_84 said:

Official doesn't come out until tomorrow. 

Reports are that Hart and Wilshere have been left out :thup:

Good. 

Hart should be nowhere near, and as much as I used to like Whilshere he's just not the player he should have been. Just bumbles on the ball a lot these days, reminds me of later day Rooney. 

Still good in tight spaces, but I'd prefer an in form Shelvey. 

Just now, Barry Cartman said:

Would take literally any attacking English player over Welbeck 

:(

People forget he is this generations Heskey. Put the England shirt on him and he is a world beater

I don't think Welbeck should go as I think there's probably better options and he hasn't been great this season, but in his defence he's been in decent form in the last few months and is very versatile, will give everything for the team and does tend to turn up for England. But the idea that someone like Sancho should go instead of him is fairly laughable imo. Not doubting Sancho is a talent but are people suggesting him aware of how little he's actually featured for Dortmund this season? 

He's only played 650 minutes of football for Dortmund's first team this season. To put that into perspective, Ainsley-Maitland Niles for example, who hasn't been first-team for us by any means, has featured in well over 1,000 more than that. I'm not gonna lie and say I've watched Dortmund in more than a handful of games this season, so fair play if some suggesting Sancho have seen him boss it for them (in one of the 7 games he's actually started), but would be absolutely mental to take someone who has featured that little. People would be laughing and calling big-club bias if he'd played that little for any of the Top 6 and went. 

Cork for first the choice midfield spot. Tongue in cheek of course but he's excelled since his last call up and played every minute of every match for a team that's finished 7th. 

Covered the most distance of any player in the Prem too.

30 minutes ago, PaulHartman71 said:

I don't think Welbeck should go as I think there's probably better options and he hasn't been great this season, but in his defence he's been in decent form in the last few months and is very versatile, will give everything for the team and does tend to turn up for England. But the idea that someone like Sancho should go instead of him is fairly laughable imo. Not doubting Sancho is a talent but are people suggesting him aware of how little he's actually featured for Dortmund this season? 

He's only played 650 minutes of football for Dortmund's first team this season. To put that into perspective, Ainsley-Maitland Niles for example, who hasn't been first-team for us by any means, has featured in well over 1,000 more than that. I'm not gonna lie and say I've watched Dortmund in more than a handful of games this season, so fair play if some suggesting Sancho have seen him boss it for them (in one of the 7 games he's actually started), but would be absolutely mental to take someone who has featured that little. People would be laughing and calling big-club bias if he'd played that little for any of the Top 6 and went. 

He's scored 1 and got 4 assists in that time, missed a good while with injury as well. There's plenty on here that see more of him @kingrobbo but a player breaking into a top European side and having the impact he's had should easily be under heavy consideration. 

We took Rashford 2 years ago, this ain't massively different. 

Think Lookman should probably be ahead of Sancho if we're looking at players abroad, but they're both playing in a position where we're pretty good already so neither should be there imo. Could do with a couple more centre backs springing up somewhere overnight too.

21 minutes ago, Bootador said:

He's scored 1 and got 4 assists in that time, missed a good while with injury as well. There's plenty on here that see more of him @kingrobbo but a player breaking into a top European side and having the impact he's had should easily be under heavy consideration. 

Rashford had played double the minutes of senior football alone at this point.

And we've actually got some decent choice in that area for once. Not sure the consideration should be that heavy tbh

My Squad/Team would be....

Butland

Walker      Jones      Stones

Lingard    Henderson      Shelvey       Young

Sterling            Alli

Kane

Pickford, 
Smalling, Maguire, Bertrand, Trippier, 
Dier, Wilshere, 
Vardy, Rashford, 

The last three players don't really matter as there's no one good enough or experienced enough to actually get any minutes. 

Butland/Pickford/Pope

Stones/Maguire/Jones

Walker/TAA/Trippier

Bertrand/Rose

Henderson/Dier/Alli/Shelvey

Sterling/Lingard/Townsend/Sancho

Vardy/Kane/Rashford/Wilson

That’d be my squad. Jones despite being a mess at times, can still be a really top defender on his day, and has ability to bring ball out the back still whilst experienced, which is why I’d edge him over someone like Tarkowski. Two proper left backs, despite both arguably not being in great form I’d have them over Delph/Young. Natural width there is important considering we won’t have a winger offering that further forward. For other spaces I’ve gone with different guys instead of usual names as fringe alternatives. Townsend is fit (unless he’s actually injured?) that can offer the high press and work rate, whereas Lallana who’d I have in there just can’t stay fit and could break down if we take him. Sancho as a proper outsider that’s confident, got the ability and going to be involved after World Cup anyway. Then Wilson as the 4th attacker because again of the energy and work rate he brings, and being someone different to Welbeck. 

Fully expect though Livermore/Young/Lallana/Welbeck/Delph to be in over Shelvey/Sancho/Townsend/Wilson/Bertrand for the most boring of squads going.

2 hours ago, Bootador said:

Sancho looks a great prospect and must be close to getting a full cap soon that says more about England tho

Can see him starting ahead of pulisic for BVB next season

5 minutes ago, skybluedave said:

I have no idea how good Sancho is but wiki says he's played 12 games for Dortmund. Isnt it a bit soon to be chucking him into a world cup. Especially considering its not a position we are in desperate need of. 

Yes.

• Administrators
7 hours ago, skybluedave said:

I have no idea how good Sancho is but wiki says he's played 12 games for Dortmund. Isnt it a bit soon to be chucking him into a world cup. Especially considering its not a position we are in desperate need of. 

We've taken players to the world cup with less.... 

I'd take him.

Smalling has been dropped according to the sun (I know, I know)

I'm happy but worried at the same time. If Southgate is going to use the 3-4-2-1 he used in the last couple of games then it's going to leave him short of experienced centre backs.

Unless he calls up Lascelles, then I'll be dancing a little jig 😃😃

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/fabian-delph-in-world-cup-squad-but-jack-wilshere-and-joe-hart-miss-out-bxnhdflt3

Gareth Southgate will put his trust in a squad rich in potential but short on experience for the World Cup in Russia this summer. The England manager has opted not to pick Joe Hart and Jack Wilshere and is putting his stamp on his 23-man squad by including a group with little previous involvement at a major tournament.

Fabian Delph, who has not played for England since November 2015, will make the cut alongside players such as Ruben Loftus-Cheek, Harry Maguire and the Burnley goalkeeper, Nick Pope, who is the beneficiary of the exclusion of Hart.

England could boast a pool of talent that has just 14 appearances at a World Cup between them, a statistic in sharp contrast to that of Germany, whose provisional 27-man squad have amassed 86 appearances at South Africa in 2010 and then when lifting the trophy in Brazil in 2014.

Southgate, who was last night considering a recall for the Chelsea defender Gary Cahill or calling up Trent Alexander-Arnold, of Liverpool, names his travelling party this afternoon.

He began the unenviable task of telling the omitted players with a telephone call to Hart on Monday. The decision compounded a season of woe for Hart, 31, who had been the most experienced member of the squad for the friendlies against Holland and Italy in March with 75 caps.

Hart, who was in Abu Dhabi with his West Ham United team-mates on an end-of-season trip, was not expecting to start at the tournament, having slipped behind Jordan Pickford and Jack Butland in the pecking order. Yet he was still hoping that his status as England’s No 1 at the past three tournaments would be of benefit to the national squad in Russia. He dropped out of the West Ham line-up when ineligible to face Manchester City, his parent club, last month and the manager David Moyes stuck with rival goalkeeper Adrián for the run-in.

Southgate will select the uncapped Pope instead, despite not taking the opportunity to look at him in either of the games against Holland or Italy. There have been concerns over Pope’s kicking, but his shot-stopping qualities have come to the fore during Burnley’s march into Europe this season.

While Hart, who will now return to City and seek a permanent move away from the Etihad, will not give up on his England career, it is understood that Wilshere feels that his prospects of featuring again under Southgate are slim.

The Arsenal midfielder had been included on the 35-man shortlist that England submitted to Fifa on Monday, but was not expecting to make the 23-man squad. Southgate is thought to have had concerns over Wilshere’s mobility.

Delph is now primed to kick-start his England career, having never played under Southgate after withdrawing repeatedly from his squads because of injury. The 28-year-old will be considered as a midfielder by England, although he has regularly featured at left back during Manchester City’s title-winning campaign.

England’s left-back options will be Ashley Young and Danny Rose with Ryan Bertrand placed on stand-by. Jake Livermore and James Tarkowski are among the other players waiting for a call should someone drop out.

The final touches to the squad will be made today, when it will become clear whether Cahill has received a late reprieve having been left out of Southgate’s most recent squad. Leicester City’s Maguire has been nursing a knee injury, while Phil Jones and John Stones have suffered from fitness issues themselves towards the end of their club campaigns.

With Southgate expected to include Adam Lallana, who returned from a hamstring injury to feature as a substitute for Liverpool against Brighton & Hove Albion last Sunday, it appeared increasingly like a decision between Cahill, Everton’s Michael Keane and Alexander-Arnold. Cahill does boast experience at a World Cup with the squad’s potential tally of 14 tournament appearances encompassed by him, Raheem Sterling, Lallana, Danny Welbeck, Jordan Henderson and Jones.

The selection of Alexander-Arnold would indicate that Southgate sees Kyle Walker as one of the options for the three-man defence that he is likely to use during England’s bid to progress from a group that also features Tunisia, Panama and Belgium.

Cahill has returned to Chelsea’s starting line-up of late and, with 58 caps to his name, would be the most experienced member of the squad if he comes back into the fold.

“I couldn’t do anything when I was out of the team,” the centre back, who is preparing for Saturday’s FA Cup final against Manchester United, said. “My CV is there, it’s just whether they want to use that or not.”

-----

Southgate’s probable 23
Goalkeepers: J Pickford (Everton), J Butland (Stoke City), N Pope (Burnley).
Defenders: K Walker (Man City), K Trippier (Tottenham Hotspur), D Rose (Tottenham), A Young (Man Utd), J Stones (Man City), H Maguire (Leicester City), P Jones (Man Utd), G Cahill (Chelsea).
Midfielders: E Dier (Tottenham), J Henderson (Liverpool), F Delph (Man City), R Loftus-Cheek (Chelsea), A Lallana (Liverpool), J Lingard (Man Utd), D Alli (Tottenham). 
Forwards: H Kane (Tottenham), M Rashford (Man Utd), J Vardy (Leicester), R Sterling (Man City), D Welbeck (Arsenal).

That’s what Guardian have as well.  I Bertrand a surprise for me but he clearly wants versatility. Unsure about Welbeck. 

Wilshere did himself no favours when he had to pull out the only time he’s been called up in last 2 years. And only started 12 EPL games. He’s clearly a risk.

8 hours ago, skybluedave said:

When the alternative is Welbeck though...

I was surprised that some top ex pro players and tv presenters were suggesting we should repeat the wasted theories of the past in 'taking young players just for the experience of going'. Why would you waste a place in the squad you might need or want doing this? Theo Walcott went in that way, now at an age he should be there if he was actually good enough. Ultimately I trust what Southgate is doing lately even if 5 minute outtakes of Jonjo Shelvey on match of the day with great reasoning from Alan Shearer doesn't result in him going. It is about the team, not any individual in a squad of 23. And this is where I think Southgate is going right.

we are playing 3 at the back and passing out from the back. That is becoming more prevalent in the game now and unfortunately for Joe Hart and Chris Smalling they are now playing right at this time. Southgate made the right call and for all Pickford's mistakes or weak points he is good at passing out from the back and distribution, he is actually the best and it really helps the team. Thank god we are saying goodbye to constipated football in the boiling summer heat. 

Who's our set piece takers? 

Most of our goals come from set pieces, they always have done.  Do we have someone (not Kane) who can hit a decent delivery?

If I see Kane taking a corner I'm turning the telly off and never watching football ever again. 

14 minutes ago, Bliss Seeker said:

Who's our set piece takers? 

Most of our goals come from set pieces, they always have done.  Do we have someone (not Kane) who can hit a decent delivery?

If I see Kane taking a corner I'm turning the telly off and never watching football ever again. 

This has been my concern for a while. We have plenty of big players to profit from getting on the end of them but no clear taker. Rashford can hit a shot free kick in the past but it's likely that he is not a starter and hasn't been trusted by Mourinho. Trent-Alexandor Arnold likes to strike them but this is becoming to hunting in the dark. Who is it? Lallana, Trippier, Loftus-Cheek, Lingard?

1 hour ago, Baptista_8 said:

Do we know what time the announcement is?

1pm is when the press conference starts though apparently it might be another hour or more until the actual squad is announced. Rumours on Twitter of Leon Bailey being included which I doubt.

41 minutes ago, Golaxi said:

This has been my concern for a while. We have plenty of big players to profit from getting on the end of them but no clear taker. Rashford can hit a shot free kick in the past but it's likely that he is not a starter and hasn't been trusted by Mourinho. Trent-Alexandor Arnold likes to strike them but this is becoming to hunting in the dark. Who is it? Lallana, Trippier, Loftus-Cheek, Lingard?

Henderson will be on set pieces I'd assume.

Archived