What will you be looking forward to?

So what World Cup traditions do you have or is there anything about the tournament that you especially enjoy?

For me, three games a day for a couple of weeks will be amazing. Hopefully some close groups mean we get some group deciding drama with the two concurrent games. England games are still special even if we don't have a chance of winning.

Everything! Outside Villa, I've not been into the regular season as much as I normally am (PL and all European leagues really) so I've not had my usual impatience for the World Cup to come around. Seems to have come around quick for a change and I'm really excited for it now.

52 minutes ago, Ackter said:

I hadn't realised it was a World Cup year ffs :D

I'm stuck in the limbo of thinking you're taking the **** or being deadly serious

England dropping the ball and their fans turning on them is guaranteed and always a good laugh, loved it at the euros when the polish and northern Irish fans kicked the ***** out of some of them. 

I love the inter-continental matches - Europe teams against South American teams and against African teams etc., seeing them against each other in competitive matches.

I also like to see who does extraordinarily well against all expectations, either countries or individual players - players who are then lauded to the heights, move to the EPL for silly money, only to come a cropper in Stoke/Bolton/Huddersfield on a cold, wet night in February.

1 hour ago, akura said:

England dropping the ball and their fans turning on them is guaranteed and always a good laugh, loved it at the euros when the polish and northern Irish fans kicked the ***** out of some of them. 

How charming.

10 minutes ago, deltablue said:

Being Mexican, which only really happens at the World Cup.

Talking about Mexico, I wonder if they will keep this tradition below:

Juega como nunca y pierde como siempre

2 hours ago, toon_84 said:

I'm stuck in the limbo of thinking you're taking the **** or being deadly serious

Serious. My entire footballing knowledge these days comes from the Newcastle thread and whichever football threads have interesting titles.

1 hour ago, Ackter said:

Serious. My entire footballing knowledge these days comes from the Newcastle thread and whichever football threads have interesting titles.

Football? Never heard of it

/Ackter 

1 hour ago, Ackter said:

So basically, you're Alan Shearer?

8 full days leave and 6 half days means I'll be able to watch every game - can't wait for all of it but especially love this time pre-tournament when the club season is (effectively) done; squad announcements, frienlies,  wallcharts, stickers, team previews, great World Cup stories from history. It's all ****ing brilliant

I love the group stages, how all your predictions fly out the window when the top seed draws with the 4th seed. It's the opposite of the CL, CL groups are dull, few rounds of knockouts are interesting but the semis tend to be the usual suspects and we start to talk about 'game management' and 'there was contact' a bit too much in key moment. Saying that, this CL has been pretty interesting.

World Cup groups are great but then the cynacism takes over as things take shape and most teams end up where you expect but the early excitement is great.

I am also looking forward to fans moaning incessantly about the pundits and how 'they're clueless', also looking forward to complaining about how the commentator can't pronounce a particular name with comments such as 'Who is Hyong Bong Ting ... I know who Hong Bong Tang is ...' lolz, amirite and also looking forward to everything being the ref's fault while players throw themselves around and try to fool officials :thup:

I'm looking forward to some big clubs splashing stupid amounts of cash on players that had a decent World Cup just for them to be flops.

Two big "looking forward to" moments for past World Cups.

The first was the World Cup in Spain in 1982, when I went with two friends to see the Scotland games - utterly, utterly fantastic - I know a number of people here have been to World Cups and there is nothing like being there - you cannot describe to anyone what it is like unless they have been there.

The second one was before the 1998 World Cup in France. I met this businessman at a party about three weeks before it started and we spent pretty much the whole evening talking about the World Cup. It turned out that he had a box for the opening game (Brazil v Scotland was the opening game) and offered me a couple of places in his box. I was so excited. It was only much later in the evening that I realised he meant the opening game for Belgium (he was Belgian). Put a slight downer on the night.

I'm in Dam for the first day of the tournament, then have a 9 night holiday in Malta the week after, as well as the 3 day 2000 Trees festival in July. So I was actually kind of gutted that I'd miss most of the tournament, but on further inspection I won't actually miss a single knockout game (apart from the 3rd place playoff, but, yeah who cares) so I'm really buzzing. Should be able to catch whatever group games I want at the hotel bar on holiday too, gonna have to venture out from our little bed and breakfast hotel on the first night before we check into the all inclusive the next day, as that's England/Morocco. 

I'm looking forward to the winners receiving the trophy (closing ceremony) so we can then get back to the bread and butter, domestic football!!!