Season 3 (second full season):

Heading into this season I was worried about the strengthening of Man City and Man U, teams that both gave me a challenge last season. Man U was a non factor and started off like a midtable team. Liverpool, who were poor the season prior, started off invincible and remained so until about 2/3s of the way through the season. After taking their first loss they fell off the cliff and left us only to worry about City. We ended up winning the league pretty easily after Liverpool fell off though. Camavinga showed a lot of promise in this first season but played average in the middle of the season. Our other new arrivals, Badiashile, Fofana, Ndidi, and Tielemans were all brilliant with Tielemans being our best player this season. Alena came in on a free and thrived towards the end of the season, displaying his creative ability. Vlahovic came in to replace Iheanacho who City came in for and has been a serviceable replacement when there was a dearth of left footed striker options. We ended up signing Jizz Sarpong, the man with the funny name who we scouted on account of that and who looked really good. He was really poor in the matches we did give him, but I'm confident he has some more growing to do as he just turned 19 and has been training really well. The question is whether I loan him out to QPR in the Championship or incorporate him into the rotation next season. This hinges on whether our third center back gets sufficient offers for him. 

In addition to those signings we had 4 players who were fully promoted into the first team. Kenneh is the most exciting of the bunch. He was a surprise a season ago as he surpassed Cresswell who was clearly his superior but who was stopped growing so rapidly. Kenneh now has the wonderkid tag and has been performing at a high level in the appearances I have given him. He's a valuable left footed center back and will be there to pick up games where Badiashile needs a rest. Cresswell continues to perform well in the opportunities he is given, but this season he wasn't given many as his growth has largely stopped at 20. The appearances he was given were a result of being an emergency center back. He is worth a healthy amount right now and has had a handful of suitors in the past. I will look to move him on next season. The other two youth players to come through this season were Rico Richards and Joe Gelhardt. Richards had been absolutely demolishing the opposition as a youth player and demanded a loan in his contract renewal. I loaned him out to a championship club and after a few weeks saw that they weren't giving him any time so I was able to recall him just in time to incorporate him in the first team. Gelhardt did not tear up the youth level to the same degree as Richards but looked like a more well-rounded striker and performed fabulously for Rotherham in the Championship last season. They were both given chances this year and while neither impressed enough to carve out a place for themselves on the merit of their play alone, they both look like they can hang at this level. Gelhardt just missed the cutoff to become a homegrown player for us so I don't think I will hold onto him, but Richards will and will hang around. Richards must've been given a lower PA in this save than my last save as in that last save he was tearing up the Championship for the AI at 19 and the Ligue 1 for me at 20. I brought him with me to Bayern for about 50 million too. In this save he's looking like he will peak at being a good attacking player for scappy prem teams down the table, but I will continue to give him minutes for the foreseeable future. We have a(nother) center back coming up through the youth system who is looking like he is just about ready to be bled into the team but we have so damn many of them. But at 17, and the speed at which he has been developing, he really deserves a run. Other than the aforementioned I don't think we have any more players on the bubble. In the next few years, however, I think we will have a few.

After hearing the news that Mbappe was being seriously pursued by City, and having been given the budget for the next season I made a deal for the 22 year old Haaland to bring him back to Leeds, his birth city. It is a shame he doesn't qualify as homegrown, but that shouldn't stop him from tearing up the league. With his arrival I will be looking on selling a striker I brought in a couple seasons back who is one match away from hitting his 50 match clause. I didn't even mean not to pay it, but with 1 game remaining in the league I thought it best not to incur that cost and best to move the 28 year old on while he still has value and before having to pay.

We have a great keeper in Meslier, a great right back in Max Aarons, a world class center back pair, but two mediocre left backs. There wasn't much talent available that I could see in my search, at least talent that was below the age of 30, but I found a Brighton player Michal Karbownik who will fit the role perfectly if we can bring him in. Other than that, our midfield with Camavinga, Alena, Baro, Tielemans, Hojbjerg, and Kalvin Phillips, doesn't need to be touched. It is world class. And now with Haaland coming in we will be world class up front. Here's to hoping we can finally push on and win something in Europe!

Kalvin Phillips is now club captain after the sale of Liam Cooper and has help his position against the hungry Camavinga. Phillips is a player who will never  be sold, despite Bielsa's Barcelona coming in for him :)

And here's what we won:

image.thumb.png.203e020e7e51003e702511fd6af5bdaa.png

Note Arsenal in 13th. Patrick Viera had them near the bottom so he was sacked and then they hired Thierry Henry lol. Didn't help much. 

image.thumb.png.036d067e63e89382dc882e77a2b3fdc9.png

image.thumb.png.0091b38c544081edcb5556645cb5147e.png

In the Champions league we were knocked out in the semi-finals by Barcelona 10-4 on aggregate.

In the FA Cup we were knocked out in the quarter finals by Manchester United.

Next season I don't expect to lose a single trophy individually while understanding it is likely we will drop at least one.

This is now the second season in a row where Kalvin Phillips was fan's player of the season. He is currently a club icon but I hope we can push him into legendary status before he regresses. I find that the legend-icon-favorite system in FM seems really dumb.  A player who has been at the club for 13 seasons, all of which were quality seasons for, say, a right back and he is just a fan favorite 

Challenge Progress:

Domestic Titles

2/13 Premier League Titles: (2021/22) (2022/23)

1/5 The Emirates FA Cup Titles: (2021/22)

2/4 Carabao Cup (League Cup) Titles: (2021/22) (2022/23)

1/10 English Community Shield: (2022/23)

European Titles

0/2 UEFA Champions League

0/1 UEFA Europa League 

0/1 UEFA Super Cup

0/2 FIFA Club World Championship

Challenge Milestones

Win the FA Cup within 4 seasons

Win the Premier League within 7 seasons

Win a Premier League/FA Cup double within 8 seasons

Win Three Premier League/FA Cup Doubles within 13 seasons (1)

Win the Premier League/FA Cup/Champions League Treble within 13 seasons

Point total should be 2350

Edited by kkfootball

• Replies 925
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We won everything we could win this season. The league, the FA Cup, the Carabao Cup, the Community Shield, the Champions League. Only the league was hairy with Liverpool taking us down to the last match day only for us to get by on two goals in injury time. The notable signings this year have been Erling Haaland, bringing him back to Leeds and Pedri in from Barcelona in January. Pedri hasn't been great for us yet, but I hope he can kick into gear next season. Barcelona have been sniffing around our Camavinga for months now with the now senile Messi luring him over. Camavinga still has some years on his contract and while he doesn't want to resign a new one at the moment, he could go if Barcelona meet his $160 million release clause. I would prefer he not as he and Kalvin Phillips have been playing the crucial pivot role in our formation and Phillips is now 28, so I'd like Camavinga to continue being around. Phillips had his best year of his career and truly made the captaincy his own. Carles Alena had the best season I've seen on FM since I had a center back who averaged an 8+ average rating for 4 straight seasons while I ascended the English league system due to that FM's broken long throw system. Despite the three Prems, two FA Cups, three Carabao Cups, two Community Shields, and Champions League we've won with Kalvin Phillips being one of the best players in out side, he is still just on icon with Carles Alena sneaking up on him after a mediocre season and one fantastic season. Those two are the only icons so far and I am just a club favorite despite having led a recently promoted, 19th place struggler to these heights. I don't understand this system.

As it regards youth at this club, we have fully integrated Kenneh into the first team, while selling Rico Richards for 20 million, Cresswell for 11 million, and some others for good money as well. We had another promising intake, but we have another center back. So now we have about 8 promising young center backs in our team, including the starters, all of whom are under 24. 

image.thumb.png.325c8385809e6fe1a929b0b49d0bedc3.png

Challenge Progress:

Domestic Titles

3/13 Premier League Titles: (2021/22) (2022/23) (2023/24)

2/5 The Emirates FA Cup Titles: (2021/22) (2023/24)

3/4 Carabao Cup (League Cup) Titles: (2021/22) (2022/23) (2023/24)

2/10 English Community Shield: (2022/23) (2023/24)

European Titles

1/2 UEFA Champions League (2023/24)

0/1 UEFA Europa League 

0/1 UEFA Super Cup

Challenge Milestones

Win Three Premier League/FA Cup Doubles within 13 seasons (2)

Point total should be 4400

So Barcelona stole Camavinga from us. I am upset as he was a part of the long game. Also England has this rule where you cannot sign more than six players from abroad who are u-21. Meaning I cannot find a world class replacement who is under 21 without stepping on the toes of some of our other signings.

Season is over and I'm happy. After having some fun with the Oval tactic and losing both the Community Shield and Super Cup, I went back to a more usable formation to play out the year. 

With this change we won all of the remaining trophies and won the League as invincibles. Also, Arsenal almost got relegated after Thierry Henry had a terrible start as their manager, after Patrick Viera's terrible tenure. Now they have Roberto Martinez. It took till the last game day for Arsenal to get out of the relegation zone with their win over bottom of the table Burnley and Newcastle's loss to 5th place Fulham with our wonderkid goalkeeper (over their on loan) having a 7.9 rating for that win. In a way I feel responsible for Arsenal's survival and hope they can turn it around. They have a good squad still. Unfortunately for them, however, Nicolas Pepe has turned into a god after leaving Arsenal being last year's top scorer for a 3rd place Southampton on 24 goals and being this years second top goal scorer for them on 18. 

Once again Carles Alena had a fantastic season, winning the player of the year award in the EPL (while not getting into the best XI), and we've managed to get the most out of club icon Kalvin Phillips for the second season (soon club legend God willing). Erling Haaland was the leading scorer in the league with 22, but it felt like most of his goals came from penalties. 

Pedri, after coming in in January last year, found his feet and started performing at a world class level and our winger Calafiori had a 10 goal 10 assist (more in both categories iirc) season in the league and came good for us. Ousmane Dembele was surprisingly good for us despite us only bringing him in as a business deal. After Barcelona stole Camavinga for us (who we weren't using to his fullest potential) for $164 million we brought in Tottenham's Sandro Tonali to replace him and Tonali did a great job. In January we brought in Kai Havertz from Chelsea and Ryan Gravenberch from Ajax to give us some extra class in the side as well as versatility after selling the youngster Jizz Sarpong. Sarpong had been developing really well, but whenever I gave him time in the side, despite his good attributes, he failed to perform for us. as he wasn't being utilized naturally, as home grown talent Nohan Kenneh was much better than him, I sold him to Barcelona after they came in with a sizeable bid. Furthermore we have, as I mentioned in previous posts, so many great center backs coming up through the academy with another one already looking ready for the first team from last season's intake. Sarpong just didn't have a place. We also plan on bringing in a wonderkid center back I had been after for the longest time on a free for next season so things were just stacked against Sarpong, who really only had his name going for him. I should also mention that Fofana and Badiashile are both 24 and are playing fantastically.

The other problem we have is the stockpile of goalkeepers we have. Illan Meslier is 25, has English nationality, has been at the club, as a starter, for the entire save, has been performing well, and is winning world goalkeeping honors yet despite this we have a backup keeper at 20 who already looks a strong goalkeeper for the prem who we got on a free from Barca and the aforementioned wonderkid keeper who was on loan at Fulham who is 6'6" (I like tall goalkeepers) and already looks a menace at 19. PSG were sniffing around Meslier, but weren't willing to really break the bank, even to just secure the agreed upon $85 million Meslier and I agreed upon to bring him in so we happily stuck with him. Rationally, I know I should move on from France's number 1 as his value is really high for a keeper who isn't world class attributes-wise, but I also like the idea of him being at the club for the long haul despite not being homegrown. 

In other news I added Pablo Hernandez to my staff as I remember that being a goal in similar editions of this challenge. Hernandez is our loan manager with terrible attributes, but I don't use that role anyway and I don't mind wasting 300k a year to have him, a club favorite, around. Next season Kalvin Phillips will be 30 so I will look to start grooming him into a coaching role. I already gave Liam Cooper and Stuart Dallas some considerable coaching training but after seeing Dallas' attributes it doesn't look the smartest idea. We will see what we can do. 

Next season we have the Club World Cup which I will take seriously along with the Community Shield and Super Cup. This season I was able to dominate every team in the league, home or away, barring one game against City where we drew 0-0 on 4 shots a piece. Bodes well for the future. Intake this year wasn't great but we signed a few up who could do something. 

image.thumb.png.a9cb59ec885d137538117d673d504056.png

Challenge Progress:

Domestic Titles

4/13 Premier League Titles: (2021/22) (2022/23) (2023/24) (2024/25)

3/5 The Emirates FA Cup Titles: (2021/22) (2023/24) (2024/25)

4/4 Carabao Cup (League Cup) Titles: (2021/22) (2022/23) (2023/24) (2024/25)

2/10 English Community Shield: (2022/23) (2023/24)

European Titles

2/2 UEFA Champions League (2023/24) (2024/25)

0/1 UEFA Europa League 

0/1 UEFA Super Cup

Challenge Milestones

Win Three Premier League/FA Cup Doubles within 13 seasons

Point total should be 6400

Haaland has been sold to Liverpool as his release clause was met. Not sure who we'll replace him with yet but we have $200 mil in the bank now. We also sold our cup keeper for $60 mil to Southampton to make space for our big South African wonderkid keeper. Looking at Barcelona's Moriba with a view to push Havertz forward to play a false 9. 

With regard to our club legends:

Kalvin Phillips and Carles Alena have ascended the icon board such that I think after another good season they will be made club legends. Alena has been the best player in the Premier League for two seasons now so I understand why he isn't yet a legend, but Phillips is a lad who has been at Leeds since the Championship and has held down his position in the team all those years. He took up the captaincy and led this team from the relegation zone to the Premier League title (4 straight years) and two straight Champions Leagues along with a handful of other trophies. He persevered and remained a starter even after all the turnover in the squad. He survived a hungry Camavinga on his heels, trying to take his position. He was the fan's player of the season every year except the past two with Alena. During these Alena years he elevated his play beyond those earlier years and became a true international star. Despite all this, and much more unsaid, he isn't a legend yet. But one more season and he will thank God. 

For my manager, despite taking this team to all this glory out of the relegation zone we aren't even a club icon. Our manager is now in the hall of fame in this game solely with accomplishments achieved at this club. Keep in mind Bielsa is a club legend when he didn't do a fraction of what I've done. Anyway, rant over. The system irritates me. 

Window went well despite losing Haaland. Team feels bulletproof. Had to choose between Mbappe and Todibo for similar prices and despite needing Todibo more, he wasn't a perfect fit for my system and it was hard to pass up on Mbappe despite Mbappe not being a perfect fit either. We sold Sandro Tonali and needed to replace him. We brought in the wonderkid who was supposed to be his replacement but he can play three different spots in our system and potentially might play a different role than Tonali. We identified a youngster from Napoli who looks like he can do a job but there aren't many who are ready-made who can so it's good to bring in youngsters to develop into that role. We have one homegrown youngster who is developing into the role nicely.  

image.thumb.png.e1f6e4682bb5f8578e9df7a34622f1a3.png

The wonderkid: 

image.thumb.png.ca1c4b89a4e0d9f3fe718f34ff3706fe.png

We won everything this year. It wasn't an invincible season this year, but we were just as strong. Pedri forced his way out to Man City for $165 mil in January and we brought in Tonali's replacement with that money. We also sold one of our academy grads with the wonderkid tag to Dortmund for $21 mil as he wasn't good enough for the team and at 20 had slowed his development. We sold on a few other academy players in January and I look forward to seeing their progress at their new clubs. Haaland for Liverpool was the top goal scorer in the league with one more goal than Moriba and 7 more than Mbappe. Kalvin Phillips at age 30 finally won player of the year in the league and will hopefully finally be afforded legend status at the club. Meslier is looking like he will slowly lose his position to the wonderkid Mashaba as Mashaba has surpassed him on paper and is just 21, but Meslier continues to be more consistent. We shall see what next season holds. 

We still have a reasonably young team. Phillips is 30. We have a replacement, but if that replacement matches his level remains to be seen. 

image.thumb.png.bb66ee9d303407aa1aedfbda090661c7.png

Challenge Progress:

Domestic Titles

5/13 Premier League Titles: (2021/22) (2022/23) (2023/24) (2024/25) (2025/26)

4/5 The Emirates FA Cup Titles: (2021/22) (2023/24) (2024/25) (2025/26)

5/4 Carabao Cup (League Cup) Titles: (2021/22) (2022/23) (2023/24) (2024/25) (2025/26)

3/10 English Community Shield: (2022/23) (2023/24) (2025/26)

European Titles

2/2 UEFA Champions League (2023/24) (2024/25)

1/1 UEFA Europa League (2025/26)

1/1 UEFA Super Cup (2025/26)

1/2 FIFA Club World Championship (2025/26)

Challenge Milestones

Point total should be 7750

• 2 weeks later...

As I am in need of a save to draw me back into FM21 I thought I would take another go at this. So after holidaying till the 6th November the FM gods have given me . . .

image.png.d85b6c87615a26654f10c4a464ef1d9e.png

image.png.aed4079305b256a312afa99b84b615ca.png

image.png.5f339cce53acbefa08cf86a4c46bdf1a.png

image.png.877806197466fe48440af19afa9de21f.png

image.png

• 2 months later...

Following the latest 5* Potential Podcast, I have decided to take up this challenge, to see me through the rest of this FM

So, it seems Leeds are the team for me!

Updates to follow hopefully (How often and what kind of updates are required as proof please?)

Manager Profile.PNG

Table.PNG

• 4 weeks later...

End of Season 1 - Progress Update

League Finish - 8th

FA Cup - 5th Round

League Cup - n/a (already out)

Summary

End of first season of this challenge with Leeds

It really took me time to turn the big ship that is Leeds around, at one stage I was concerned I was going to be relagated/sacked, winning only the once in my first ten games. But with a lot of perseverance eventually, things started to happen and in a major way, losing just 2 of my final 24 games of the season (I feel we were unlucky to miss out on Europe)

When I arrived we were already out of the League Cup, with us being knocked out by Arsenal in the 5th round of the FA Cup

Kalvin Philips and Raphinha being my standout players

Would hope for a deep cup run next season!

Challenge Progress - End of Season 1

Domestic Titles

0/13 Premier League Titles

0/5 The Emirates FA Cup Titles

0/4 Carabao Cup (League Cup) Titles

0/10 English Community Shield

European Titles

0/1 UEFA Europa League 

0/1 UEFA Super Cup

League Table - End of Season 1.png

Edited by Connor
spelling

• 4 months later...

First FM22 SAF Challenger? Let's go for it.

The club that I was blessed (or cursed) with is Newcastle! A very interesting opportunity given their recent change in ownership.

e3fc8b0c9bd67e5cac935dc8a4dede0d.png

The next update will be the youth intake and the end of season 1.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Attempt number 5 :lol:

Tottenham save corrupted (left pc on overnight and forgot to turn off auto shutdown.)

780544e7d8d5d2ffb5d6ffd1143365ad.png.2118d70c9c59e5a405392c3bf660c987.png

City are incredible... and Crystal Palace are not, and being second bottom they are our club.

Manager Profile:

37954f47ecc57e7fefe561be5b21cf0c.thumb.png.020fada4ef5a9d0d86680e60ecb59141.png

Crystal Palace update # 1

Youth intake preview

1fe7e05bd1ff9595a1b9b3b930ac4557.png.1c6fe57dea47f6ccb24c4d6bb6bb2e3b.png

Transfers out :

f7839da13b3a00bb1602e7dd2ec120fc.png.a4d04faca411f68cb73964dfc4de07dd.png

Youth intake
b5b222165f236dba145663f0badd9c44.thumb.png.1a9da94b1aa76e114b9aeb326cb82fb6.png

Luke Wright (ST)

33dcd19a36cf059b89f466450f77bae4.thumb.png.d0eb97106d80560e87b090a1325d0f02.png

Good physical and mental profile but those technicals... yikes.

Paul McBride (DC)

fad2f7ee1f766e3e5a893d8a28f2e747.thumb.png.26e02adbe784de8b9e00d475d6b7d76d.png\

Incredibly bland and average.

Barry Edmonds (DL)

c3bb9a5138d49954d24d14be5451e28f.thumb.png.85776ec678629bbf50b962b372a2e75b.png

A decent no nonsense defender on the left. I actually like him the most so far.

Diarmuid Walker (DC)

650790d81124ef4c10376d5f954b0db6.thumb.png.767d24fdd2213dc1528d0b5c4ff60e62.png

Mentals are to die for, but everything else... yeesh.

Edrisa Gassama (DL,DC)

1300438122_de31240c67e8051540168ab0a6e82de9(1).thumb.png.86577ccbe65d9bc134dd2ce9e7a79ec9.png

He's a good LB so far, has no chance at CB with that marking and positioning.

Klevis Idrizi (DC,MC)

a96cb48067de965e752afcd87e196f60.thumb.png.9a138b089ae185e68cf9740023c80bbc.png

He's a really good BWM so far.

End of Season 1 

f16cdd5ce0e979eb1e651d7565efe6ad.png.0ca4a1c449d070e04f082fa9c2889f17.png

An important win against Brighton in matchday 34 sees us all but secure safety in the Premier League for another season.

3df4ddd3a37e8de753da4786ea6303c9.thumb.png.8b4ec8d5f1144964c675db50e5f9e883.png

Edouard was great, as was Guaita and Andersen. Zaha was very disappointing.

• 1 month later...

Come back to this after trying  a few editions ago with Leicester.

Absolutely horrendous start by the Gunners sees them in 19th place!! 

As a Chelsea fan. I'm pretty conflicted

Football Manager 2022 24_05_2022 17_20_37.png

Football Manager 2022 24_05_2022 17_18_38.png

Jake Wilson takes over from Jesse Marsch with Leeds 19th in the table

Former Scottish International Jake Wilson makes his managerial debut at 19th placed Leeds United. His first two games will be against difficult opposition in Manchester City and Liverpool. Wilson will aim to use these games to create a reasonable tactical style to build the club around to bring the team out of the relegation zone and beyond.

Manager Profile

Spoiler

20220524173004_1.thumb.jpg.dd307d4ed7d0ba04ae58a71168eb5029.jpg

League Table

Spoiler

20220524172703_1.thumb.jpg.5a4707bebb30753a76bdbc355ba02077.jpg

Manager History

Spoiler
Season   Team          League   League Cup    FA Cup    Champions League    Europa League    Europa Conference    Notes and Achievements
2021/22  Leeds United   19th*    3rd Round     TBA              N/A              N/A               N/A                  N/A

Challenge Progress

Spoiler

Domestic Titles

European Titles

0/1 UEFA Europa League 

0/1 UEFA Super Cup

Milestones

Edited by SaintsFCFan7498

FA Cup Win Highlight of Wilson's Debut Season

Wilson had a difficult task when taking famous club Leeds to glory when he joined with the club in 19th. Although the first two games showed promise with close losses against Liverpool and Manchester City, the team went on a run of 7 games without a win. However, everything changed with a Win vs Arsenal. After that, wins weren't an issue and losses became limited. A loss against Southampton in the 85th minute was the last until meeting Arsenal at the Emirates in February where they were denied by an 85th minute Martinelli goal. A solid end to the season eclipsed by the FA Cup run meant relegation wasn't a story. A comfortable 14th was the reward for good form but the poor early form cost a chance of Europe via the league. We ended the season 12 points behind Leicester and that's doable.

League Table

Spoiler

20220525195255_1.thumb.jpg.978f51ded59c360a553518f59b7e6f7c.jpg

The FA Cup run was fortunate but they still had to beat what was put in front of them. Big teams being drawn against each other meant by the Quarter Finals, it was only Liverpool left and as if by fate, it was Liverpool in the draw for Leeds who had just beaten Portsmouth on penalties. However, as they had done a week before, they beat Liverpool at home. In the league, it was 3-0. This time, it was closer for a tight 2-1 win. Everton was the next in the Semi-Final at Wembley and a 1-0 win through Patrick Bamford meant a game vs Newcastle. It wasn't the most exciting of finals but an 11th minute Rodrigo goal meant Leeds won their first FA Cup since 1972.

FA Cup Run

Spoiler

20220525195104_1.thumb.jpg.e5332c38f41d334cc7205f2dcd0132ab.jpg

Manager History

Spoiler
Season   Team          League   League Cup    FA Cup    Champions League    Europa League    Europa Conference    Notes and Achievements
2021/22  Leeds United   14th     3rd Round     Win              N/A              N/A               N/A             Won the first FA Cup

Challenge Progress (Points: 700)

Spoiler

Domestic Titles

1/5 The Emirates FA Cup Titles - 2021/22,

European Titles

0/1 UEFA Europa League 

0/1 UEFA Super Cup

Milestones

Win the FA Cup within 4 seasons - Won the FA Cup in the first season vs Newcastle.

Debutants Help Leeds Surprise Manchester City

With a relative minnow winning the FA Cup, you can always think that it's the league winner who will dominate the Community Shield. Although Leeds did lead in the second minute due to a well-slotted goal from new signing Vitinha, Manchester City were leading by the 20th with goals from Julian Alvarez and Phil Foden. Leeds looked to be clearly the second best team but a through ball into the feet of Rodrigo let him slot it past the Manchester City goalkeeper on the brink of half time to make it 2-2.

Nearing the end of the game, neither team had a clear cut chance but in the 86th minute, a corner from Raphinha landed on the head of debutant Lisandro Martinez from Ajax to make it 3-2. In response, manager Wilson moved Kalvin Phillips to Defensive Midfielder to partner Robin Koch to cancel out the Manchester City juggernaut and claim a surprise Community Shield win. The first since 1992.

The Match

Spoiler

20220525231256_1.thumb.jpg.98f1cb8707e9e7b35e1738e54e9c3335.jpg

Manager History

Spoiler
2021/22  Leeds United   14th     3rd Round     Win              N/A              N/A               N/A             Won the first FA Cup
2022/23  Leeds United    TBA       TBA         TBA              N/A              TBA               N/A             Won the Community Shield

Challenge Progress (Points: 750)

Spoiler

Domestic Titles

1/5 The Emirates FA Cup Titles - 2021/22

1/10 English Community Shield - 2022/23

European Titles

0/1 UEFA Europa League 

0/1 UEFA Super Cup

Milestones

Win the FA Cup within 4 seasons - Won the FA Cup in the first season vs Newcastle.

Incredible, Unbelievable, Magnificent Dreamland for Leeds

For Leeds United, it was a season that will be remembered by everybody around. It was a difficult season with the word Injury and the phrase Fixture Congestion being one that fans are sick to death of. The season started incredibly well with them winning the Community Shield and running Liverpool close for the first part of the season. All whilst new signing Vitinha was finding his feet in the North of England and the team embarked on a European adventure which took them to face Feyenoord, Dynamo Kyiv and Trabzonspor. The first four wins meant that qualification was simple and a Second Knockout Round place awaited them.

In England, the cup didn't go as well with a rotated side losing on penalties to Barrow. Arguably, it's a blessing in disguise with the fixture congestion. In the more prestigious cup competition, it was a fascinating run that lasted until the Semi-Finals with wins against Millwall, Southampton, Manchester City and Crystal Palace leading to a tie with Manchester United at Wembley. Although they were the better team, Leeds had the ability to edge a 1-1 draw at 90 minutes where momentum started to change. However, a Paul Pogba free-kick put an end to that and whilst pushing for an equaliser and penalties, United did the obvious and made it 3-1.

The biggest story came in the Europa League. A simple run through the group stages meant a Second Knockout Round game vs Frankfurt was on the cards. The real life finalists were able to hold Leeds to a 2-2 draw in the single game tie at Elland Road but lost 4-2 on penalties. A rematch against Feyenoord was our Quarter Final tie. A 4-0 home win meant we were prepared to rest the team for the second leg. A full rotation, in hindsight, wasn't the smartest move as at 7-1 on aggregate (3-1 on the night), Feyenoord started the most ridiculous comeback as the kids lost their legs. Some first team faithfuls meant that despite a 7-3 loss, it was penalties where Leeds won 12-11. Stuttgart beat Tottenham to secure their spot as our rivals for the Quarter Finals. With a backs to the wall performance, a 1-0 win away was a fantastic result and home advantage proved too much as a 4-1 loss meant Stuttgart were out.

That set up a final at the Puskas Arena in what would be our final game of the season since we lost in the FA Cup Semi Final. A Final where we would have faced Fulham. Anyway. The tricky, defensive Atalanta team proved their worth for the first 30 minutes where they took a 2-0 lead and held us to nothing. One of their goals coming after 16 seconds. Nothing changed in that regard until the 51st minute where Pascal Struijk headed the ball in from a Raphinha corner. With belief in the team, we were still 2-0 down when Alvarez spotted Raphinha to set up a difficult one on one which he slotted at the far post past the Atalanta goalkeeper securing Extra Time. In Extra Time, the Cantenaccio style of the Italians continued with them being difficult to break down. However, a run from Dan James on the right set up a low cross into Patrick Bamford to fire it in from close range to make it 3-2 on the night. Comeback complete. All that was left was to keep calm and not lose our heads whilst they'd inevitably lose theirs and Marten De Roon did. A 118th minute red card made the job easier to hold on for a first European Title since 1971.

League Table

Spoiler

20220527030614_1.thumb.jpg.d591017d259ba2f94b6a327c752b45de.jpg

Europa League Run

Spoiler

20220527034041_1.thumb.jpg.17cd30f798513b9550a84fc6062f1d8f.jpg

Manager History

Spoiler
Season   Team          League   League Cup      FA Cup     Champions League    Europa League    Europa Conference    Notes and Achievements
2021/22  Leeds United   14th     3rd Round       Win              N/A              N/A               N/A             Won the first FA Cup
2022/23  Leeds United    4th     3rd Round    Semi-Final          N/A              Win               N/A             Won the Community Shield

Challenge Progress (Points: 1150)

Spoiler

Domestic Titles

European Titles

1/1 UEFA Europa League - 2022/23

0/1 UEFA Super Cup

Milestones

Edited by SaintsFCFan7498

Leeds Shock Champions League Winners With Comeback To Win UEFA's Supercup

Dortmund have Haaland and Moukoko up front. Bellingham in midfield and the Champions League. Midway through 2020/21's Premier League season, Leeds were bottom. Since then, an FA Cup and a Europa League sent them here. In the early stages, it was a tight, difficult game but a close range header from Jude Bellingham split the sides nearing the 75th minute despite a more aggressive tactical change for Wilson's Leeds at halftime. A seemingly simple free kick from near the Dortmund goal line should have been a simple launch up the field. However, intercepted by star striker Vitinha to slot home past Kobel to equalise.

In Extra Time, it turned into Leeds' game to lose. They were on top and playing well. A few through balls to Vitinha looked dangerous and that's how they led. In the 95th minute, a fantastic, low through ball from substitute Dan James gave Leeds the lead on the night. The job made easier through a Gabbia red card for a last man foul on Vitinha in the 98th minute gave Leeds the rest they fully deserved.

The Game

Spoiler

20220527172832_1.thumb.jpg.4a1c374db6566c94e0597298e41569de.jpg

Manager History

Spoiler
Season   Team          League   League Cup      FA Cup     Champions League    Europa League    Europa Conference    Notes and Achievements
2021/22  Leeds United   14th     3rd Round       Win              N/A              N/A               N/A             Won the first FA Cup
2022/23  Leeds United    4th     3rd Round    Semi-Final          N/A              Win               N/A             Won the Community Shield
2023/24  Leeds United    TBA       TBA           TBA              TBA              N/A               N/A             Won the UEFA Supercup

Challenge Progress (Points: 1350)

Spoiler

Domestic Titles

European Titles

1/1 UEFA Europa League - 2022/23

1/1 UEFA Super Cup - 2023/24

Milestones

Only the three games in November.

Nov21.jpg.0dc8aba9eb56d470152a3cb1fdff1096.jpg

Must admit the home draw with Brighton was a bit of a pain. Especially as we showed pretty much nothing for 80 minutes until Emile Smith Rowe's effort from a whipped in free kick. Deflected off a Brighton defender and found its way into the net. But seen as though Arsenal had only won one and drawn four before I took over. An unbeaten month and a dash of luck in the process will more than do.

On the transfer front. There is no money. Well, there was money, but we were over spending on the wages. So I moved the money around to cover the overspend and now there is no money. Mohamed Elneny was kicking up a stink about wanting a new contract to reflect his ability. The DoF attempted to negotiate. Failed to come to terms and asked me if I wanted to try. I put him on the transfer list and he's gone to Al - Ittihad in Saudi Arabia for £2.2m 

Alexandre Lacazette has been lacklustre at best when he's actually been fit to play. He recently signed a new contract before I got here. But then proceeded to develop a sports hernia and be unusable. He's currently in contract negotiations with Lille for a fee of £20m, which I don't think is bad for a currently injured 30 year old. 

That might free up some cash to make some moves in the January transfer window. But to be honest, my main concern is to recall some of the clubs talent that is out on loan. The players seemed to be exceptionally receptive to my suggestion during my first meeting with the squad. To blood the youth. Not that I had much choice, the only player who is regularly in the starting line up and over 30 years old is Alexis Sanchez. And that's because he's scored nine and assisted four times in 12 Premier league games. Everyone else is still learning how to shave.

So if the money is going to be spent at all. It will be on a crop of players to fulfil the club vision of signing under 18s for the future!  

Edited by Mandy42

carabao_final2021.jpg.ef5e25e3f37ae46db332633137049625.jpg
Not the easiest way to win, well just about anything. But sees us lift the Carabao cup in our first season. And that's about all I want to win. The squad needs some serious sorting at the beginning of next season. Who stays, who comes back from loan and gets a chance in the first team. Who goes. 

The Europa Conference league will be a good exercise in blooding the youth as well. So I'd rather not finish higher in the league than that and go into the Europa league proper.

Challenge Progress

Domestic Titles

1/4 Carabao Cup (League Cup) Titles

European Titles

0/1 UEFA Europa League 

0/1 UEFA Super Cup

• 2 weeks later...

2122.jpg.23f80e75c530693c16dfc0e2e4e6f462.jpg

Much like Liverpool this season. We won both domestic cups. Playing the same team (Man City) on both occasions. 

The Carabao was a nail biting penalty win. 

While the FA cup we were 2-0 by halftime and 3-1 into the last 10 minutes. It finished 3-2 with us gifting them a goal with sloppy passing with only a few minutes remaining!

2122review.jpg.dd8c7bb1fe766433ef39fc934ad6bafb.jpg

The FA cup win automatically put us into the Europa league proper. Although a 1-1 draw with Watford on the final day saw us finish 7th

2122in.jpg.4f2b21a2329dff649b36681c9a07293f.jpg

Sanchez had been signed before I arrived. But all the rest are mine. Delap is going back to City at the end of his loan. He hasn't performed well enough in comparison to the young strikers I already have at the club.

2122out1.jpg.df3a6f377605c94fea267399fbea0532.jpg

2122out2.jpg.520123365fb9ba9bdbeb6905c6b14276.jpg

Likewise, Eddie Nketiah was sold to West Ham before I joined. But the rest are mine. We were 500k over the wage budget when all the loans ended. So a culling had to be undertaken.

22223in.jpg.5348a930c2015804eccf2d3db4579dd5.jpg

Matt Turner is a future transfer agreed before I got here. Though I've no idea why we would want him! Boubacar Kamara on a free is a nice bit of business. And Dominic Calvert - Lewin will hopefully provide a reliable goal threat. Something we've been missing last season.

2223out1.jpg.c51fe6c2f9a6ee0023a8ceda06e6a032.jpg

2223out2.jpg.2eca26d6704dfe324a2d28fa4735d4fe.jpg

Matteo Guendouzi was agreed before I joined. Which was slightly frustrating. Pepe and Xhaka have mandatory fee clauses in their loans. So neither will be coming back.

Bellerin, Torreira and Mari all left to get rid of the wage debt and allow younger players with greater potential a place in the squad.

Challenge Progress

Milestones

Win the FA Cup within 4 seasons - 2021-22 season 3-2 vs Man City (500 points)
Win the Premier League within 7 seasons - 
Win a Premier League/FA Cup double within 8 seasons - 
Win Three Premier League/FA Cup Doubles within 13 seasons - 

Domestic Titles

1/5 The Emirates FA Cup Titles (200 points)

1/4 Carabao Cup (League Cup) Titles (100 points)

European Titles

0/1 UEFA Europa League 

0/1 UEFA Super Cup

Current Challenge score = 800 points

First full season in charge. Second season total. Suppose the enforced break for the 2022 Qatar dog and pony show is as good a time for a mid season update as any.

prewctable.jpg.9e3b048bfe9e0045956e7976fe33afd3.jpg

Worlds apart from the first season. Mainly due to keeping more players at the club and sending less out on loan. Meaning the first XI have played pretty much every premier league game. Leading us to perform above expectation. As the board only want Europa league qualification this season. With a look to the champions league next season. 

They consider us "challenging for the title" but after consecutive 2-0 away defeats to Man Utd and Liverpool. I think any outside title challenge is over. We just can't keep up with City. Who are yet to lose. And who have signed Halaand. Who has scored a ludicrous 27 goals in 15 league appearances.

Does set the save up beautifully though. While I don't have the resources to splash out on one such signature signing. I have been signing players for the future. Hopefully with every season that goes by we should be looking to get stronger and stronger.

europa2022.jpg.6cfebd9fb8fdf9ea881daec656f311d4.jpg

In Europe, in my opinion we were handed a pretty tough group. Especially with my plans to play the kids. Rather than send all of them out on loan. 

tina.jpg.b534be2aead6c34063331c98d5bcb221.jpg

Doesn't help that the only real FMing of the season so far came in said competition. 

ASE.jpg.290404ec028eb7d648b31301baa38bc9.jpg

Though we were making enough of a dogs dinner of it ourselves!

Europa2022end.jpg.3c418b512ff5678f910af21ee3b765d2.jpg

Every other team taking points off each other makes it more comfortable than it actually was. All depends who we get in the next round now. With the champions league 3rd place teams being dumped in. Board expectation is we reach the final!

• 1 month later...
End of Season Roundup

2223honours.jpg.94d41406bc9dde6a3f75225297dde251.jpg

Well that went better than expected! Having trailed City by four points at the Qatar enforced break. Plus the fact they hadn't lost a game and Haaland was already a shoe in for the golden boot. I saw my best chance of adding a trophy in the one competition ironically we didn't win. The Europa League. 

europaleague2223.jpg.cf104714f77e00e6af71acdf941d9a2d.jpg

Frustrating that we saw off Juventus after they came out of the Champions League. And saw Atlanta knock out PSG. Only for Spurs to put two past us away from home. Then hold on as we flung the kitchen sink at them in the home leg. But only managed to score one goal out of 15 shots on target.

communityshield2223.jpg.05ae063a2cd1ec8dbfa9959c1966d6a7.jpg

Back to the trophies we did win. And I put the penalty victory over Man City in the Community shield down to the fact their new signings hadn't gelled yet. Haaland didn't even play.

carabao2223.jpg.bb810e0e9f016f01b0962cc1335142f8.jpg

I played the kids / second team in this competition in every game but the Man City one. Which in true FM style was three days before we played them at the Etihad in the league. We won the league game 1 - 2 as well. Much to my surprise! 

facup2223.jpg.cc12ec291966ecd0aee524ae6215a078.jpg

The first four games in the FA cup were with the second XI. In truth we were lucky to sneak past Leeds and Villa. Needing extra time in the later game to get through. Surprised Liverpool didn't put up more of a contest. And I've no idea how we have never lost a game to Man City in the two seasons I've been in charge. But its already developing into a them and us rivalry for pretty much every domestic competition.

premier2223.jpg.97110ce61dd1f498755da3be1693aff6.jpg

Looking at the table I posted further up. We didn't lose another game after the league restarted. Where as Man City lost four times. Twice to us, once to Man Utd. And even then it nearly wasn't enough. In  the penultimate game. We were away at Spurs, while City went to St James Park. The right mix of results could have seen us crowned champions. And with six minutes played in both games we were champions. We went 1 - 0 up with a Calvert Lewin header. While Saint - Maximin put Newcastle ahead at the same time.

Spurs went down to 10 men and it looked like everything was coming up roses. Until they then equalised halfway through the second period from a Zinchenko direct free kick. 1 - 1 and that is how it finished despite us hurling everything, including bad language at them. 

In the Man City game, a Haaland brace saw Man City overturn the early setback and were level on points. Which saw them go top of the league on goal difference going into the final game. I'd of bet my mortgage on them winning their final fixture and thus taking the title. We were saved by an Odsonne Edouard goal for Newcastle in the 87th minute. Our game had already finished. When the Frenchman scored, he sent us back to the top of the table and restored our two point cushion going into the final game. 

Looking forward to the battles in the coming seasons. As I stick to my guns of trying to improve the depth of the squad. Mainly through younger players who can ensure we are improving year on year.

in2223.thumb.jpg.3bee1af749288be757b73602ec8ca5b8.jpg

Gelhardt, Bynoe - Gittens and Zabarnyi fit that mould in this seasons purchases. 

out12223.thumb.jpg.3edfcaf7bddedb8bc5ebf9a7eaa2f21d.jpg
out22223.thumb.jpg.d681d9baa2a90453db5360a0ff86ea36.jpg
out32223.thumb.jpg.0e32bc4e6c0915468423428e82b95811.jpg
out2223.thumb.jpg.99cc1e9f5b0b647660f71259482f70e7.jpg

And that concludes the players who left this season. Think both years I've made a profit on transfers. 

Challenge Progress

Milestones

Win the FA Cup within 4 seasons - 2021-22 season 3-2 vs Man City (500 points)
Win the Premier League within 7 seasons - 2022-23 season Final day of the season. 3-0 Win over Wolves, to win the title by two points over Man City (500 points)
Win a Premier League/FA Cup double within 8 seasons - 2022 - 23 season. (500 points)
Win Three Premier League/FA Cup Doubles within 13 seasons - 

Domestic Titles

1/13 Premier League Titles (200 points)

2/5 The Emirates FA Cup Titles (400 points)

2/4 Carabao Cup (League Cup) Titles (200 points)

1/10 English Community Shield (100 points) 

European Titles

0/1 UEFA Europa League 

0/1 UEFA Super Cup

Current Challenge score = 2,400 points

So I'm making another return to my FM19 save, currently half way through the 11th season. I set up the game with the database from the rule set of just the top two English divisions and, I don't know if anyone else has this issue, there is a very large lack of well rounded world class talent out there, especially in central defence.

Does anyone know if there was something with AI development where defenders weren't trained to be good on the ball, or is this simply a consequence of the lack of squad depth outside of the two loaded leagues?

Not too big a deal at the moment since De Ligt and Dias are still going strong for me but it's a worry for a few year's time when they start their decline haha

This has also become noticeable with how the save is going, there's no other saves I have had such consistent domination against even the biggest sides. I would say it makes me bored of the save but then it's always nice to return to some wins if I have another save that's hitting a bit of a rough patch :lol:

Back for more, this time with Southampton.

997a75fbbe444781f834751ef8376975.png

So close to getting Leicester, but in all honesty, I'm more than happy with Southampton, given their academy.

c2b870fe324111e4332f8ed7ef96af49.png

Here's the team and tactic that I am going to be going with for this season.

End of season 1

c030411eec09f3c4fb81a35c28a5bd2a.png

Here's the intake for this season

8999b4c1da8c56c426d32e0526e3f7b3.png

609265fdf48ab30237dadbbce41936b8.png

2644cfbb23b18d26bc057f7907e10c36.png

8507874df35e09a16f063e3f96ce89ea.png

e2c6f3f773e72f2e42087a5e64ec5e0b.png

Here are the top players, everyone will be signed though.

c1306b297c96a07c16baf998f67c6b87.png

b70ce1487e8c6fe9f93f2a70e37f845a.png

I'm not sure how we were so good, but we managed to go from 19th, to 5th.

70872abbe0faaa7f48732adc9590cd8f.png

Transfers:

25a7182280140e03bf7fd0d0e5632350.png

54m with 20m up front, he will solidify midfield with Romeu and JWP.

e505057185adbe06760cef439ce93d01.png

One of my favorite midfielders in real life was on the transfer list for 17m.

c4653dc65e4ee1a7e6172bda105f5158.png

35m with 15 up front. He's really good.

d51537afa6d61eb2a729f735eb8853d8.png

Vrsaljko comes in on a free.

3b87e1820d9aecb3fd118b9f1d0b2fea.png

12m up front, 33m total.

b344fd30270b36c5fe54d5144dbb14b2.png

6.7m on the transfer list.

First Half of 2022-2023 Season

8a1dc9aa6327cf3d648c12199384a55e.png

We've been really good, currently in 4th place, and into the next round of the the Europa League, and into the quarter final of the Carabao Cup against Wolves.

c75be3786b65cf6583cdbea1ac7f9168.png

8b252f665c9a459cbaf467396f9ea495.png

9383fea1f9ba48d4364f7bd3a80f2e5c.png

cb66c3c8825455a4142c4dea4af02549.png

ee8275a4aff580f7201a1cd5dd9b6937.png

• 1 month later...

Southampton - 20/21

Squad - Competitions - Finances - Transfers

League: 16th- FA Cup: SF - League Cup: N/A

Key players: DC BednarekMC Ward-Prowse

Season Review:

Not the season we hoped for.

The former manager spent every little penny. I had no chance to start building my own squad.

I did bring in depth at both fullbacks via loan deals and signed Matias Arezo for the future.

We did have a couple of really good players and a had a great showing in the FA Cup with a semifinal.

I was lucky not to get fired.

Next season:

Alright. Now it starts. A healthy transfer kitty of 50 million pounds.

We do however need to spend it wisely. We have a lot of positions I'd like to strengthen.

I need depth at fullback. And at least 1 new CB. Vestergaard is simply to slow for a high line.

We need quality in the middle as well. If we can't find quality wide players even more.

My aim is a 4-4-2 Diamond which utilises both my brillant full backs.

Edited by Muggert

• 3 weeks later...

Looking for my final save of the cycle always leads me back to what I know best, this challenge. :lol:

The club that I got was Crystal Palace

7399d929beb77156553864c470fd1e7f.png

076f2cef4418863ba7e8c5f9dc32928b.png

Decent squad, obviously very top heavy.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure how active this old thread is now but i was looking for a beta save idea and saw this. I'll post up my starting screenshots and if it becomes a long term thing ill keep you updated. Starting at Brentford.... could be interesting

20221022192258_1.jpg

20221022192309_1.jpg

I don't mean this in any disrespectful way, but how do you make this challenge interesting over time? 

In my case I ended up with Norwich (FM22) and won the FA-cup in the first season (21/22).

In the second season (22/23) I won:

Premier League, Fa-cup and Europe League.

In the third season (23/24) I won:

Premier League, Champions League, Fa-cup, Carabao Cup, UEFA Super Cup and Community Shield.

I've just about started the 24/25-season (still in August), and have so far won the Community Shield and the UEFA Super Cup.

This is not meant as bragging, but to highlight my "problem" going forward. How do you make this interesting over time? Do any of you play with further restrictions other than the ones in the OP? Would be interesting to know. 

• 1 month later...

Coming back to this challenge for the FM23 cycle.

The club I got after going to November 6, 2022 is Nottingham Forest.

eaecd91a6c53eac60f405cd938000378.png

ce4f127f7f8c001aa64502b7b0db5374.png

Only the three wins in the league so far, it will be hard to turn this around.

0028181c632022379608767e55eab578.png

A decent youth intake to start us out with.

fe6d341e3971072aee7b5b7dad173d05.png

Very poor for a 4.5* player. With his ambition/determination he'll never reach his PA.

5f400520018d8a52b91422b706070f30.png

This lad could be special. Needs to get on final third training, but he could be a great AF.

c4d2597eb4eeb6be3daf617ea1cdf00c.png

That's more like it! He's very good. He needs to get some finishing under his belt and he'll be a great player for us.

d351080f9f34533b7e4b3482ae914201.png

Great personality, decent ball playing ability, good bravery, decent pace + acceleration. This is a defender to build around.

b2dc9cd8b9d39a2c392a49493cf80541.png

And his future partner!

12702fc9c8a8dea6b3de65f4e52af177.png

A decent, if unspectacular goalkeeper. Could end up being a backup for us.