The New FMCU General Discussion Thread

deltablue

1 minute ago, Minuy600 said:

Ah I see. Too bad my squad was too tiny to manage what you're saying with 46 games a season, unfortunately.

Ah well, as I said i'll stick to FIFA for now and then come back fresh. My save with Everton (and the squads sorted like in 16/17 because that lineup always makes the most sense to me) on there is looking a cracker already!

When you do come back, feel free to give me a shout and @ me in your thread if you make one. Happy to help. 

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

When you do come back, feel free to give me a shout and @ me in your thread if you make one. Happy to help. 

Thank you! I'll be sure to keep going on the positive route i've set on with this save, though next time i'll probably start somewhere where I have a solid chance of silverware almost right off the bat. 

(As a sidenote, wow i'm the second most frequent poster on this topic? Crazy.)

Think I'm going to start a new thread tonight. It's been a while since I've been a regular in these parts, but I've really enjoyed my mess-around at Notts this week, so I've stated a "proper" save tonight. I don't have a theme as such (or even a title yet) but it's great to be interested in the game again, especially as it *won't* be a retro save. 

1 minute ago, withnail316 said:

Think I'm going to start a new thread tonight. It's been a while since I've been a regular in these parts, but I've really enjoyed my mess-around at Notts this week, so I've stated a "proper" save tonight. I don't have a theme as such (or even a title yet) but it's great to be interested in the game again, especially as it *won't* be a retro save. 

It's amazing what a break from the game can do, I didn't play for around 18 months and I'm completely hooked now even though it feels exactly the same as it did before.

3 minutes ago, withnail316 said:

That's great to hear, I'm looking forward to it. :thup:

What have been people playing in 2021? FM Careers in Europe with at least 10 updates and the last one being between January 1st and now. Of course I might have missed a couple and not always geographical location is 100% spot on, but I guess it shows the prevalence of UK careers, followed by central Europe and Scandinavia. Still little love of this part of the forum for south and eastern Europe!

Presentation15677eba9c8d43c7c.jpg

Even FIFA 21 is giving me an unprecented amount of stress. Started with Everton, did well in the first game against Swansea, then proceeded to lose against West Ham in the 85th minute, lost to Man United while they scored with their only 2 shots on target, and then lost against Rotherham in the Carabao Cup.

I'm so exhausted. All football games hate me it seems... I keep doing my best but what's the point? If i'm the only one who CAN'T get success while some people don't do jack **** and proceed to win the treble in the first season while playing on the highest difficulty? While i'm playing on Professional which seemed to work out perfectly fine in the past?

1 hour ago, Minuy600 said:

I'm so exhausted. All football games hate me it seems... I keep doing my best but what's the point? If i'm the only one who CAN'T get success while some people don't do jack **** and proceed to win the treble

I would dare say that the point of games is to enjoy yourself playing them, and not winning at all costs. To each of its own, but maybe u are to focused on winning. And be assured for each people you see succeding there are countless more failing the same as you (me included, I have yet to win nothing in FM21). Keep playing what u like. Peace!

6 minutes ago, Muttley84 said:

I would dare say that the point of games is to enjoy yourself playing them, and not winning at all costs. To each of its own, but maybe u are to focused on winning. And be assured for each people you see succeding there are countless more failing the same as you (me included, I have yet to win nothing in FM21). Keep playing what u like. Peace!

I agree but also disagree, if you go 4 years of playing FIFA *and* FM and yet have only managed one Carabao Cup, Dutch Super Cup, Kiribatian League and pre-season tournament across all of them, then it really starts to eat you up, trust me.

Admittedly though I can think of a few solutions, that being to give up on trying to challenge myself too much and playing on a lower difficulty on FIFA even if it DOES feel like cheating (then again, I could up the difficulty again for big matches...), or to continue playing FMT but with teams that are already quite stacked, like say, PSG, Celtic or Basel. The balance just needs to be there.

48 minutes ago, Minuy600 said:

I agree but also disagree, if you go 4 years of playing FIFA *and* FM and yet have only managed one Carabao Cup, Dutch Super Cup, Kiribatian League and pre-season tournament across all of them, then it really starts to eat you up, trust me.

Admittedly though I can think of a few solutions, that being to give up on trying to challenge myself too much and playing on a lower difficulty on FIFA even if it DOES feel like cheating (then again, I could up the difficulty again for big matches...), or to continue playing FMT but with teams that are already quite stacked, like say, PSG, Celtic or Basel. The balance just needs to be there.

Turn your difficulty down on Fifa to semi-pro for few of games, build up a bit of momentum, then turn it up again. You shouldn't even notice the change when you go back. 

The alternative is to start at a tiny club on FM where just staying in the division or a midtable finish *is success.* You can then use that momentum to step up into a job with a few more expectations. I'd recommend a job in Scotland for the latter. Nobody will expect you to finish in the top two, so there's less pressure. You can then build from there. 

Edited by withnail316

48 minutes ago, Minuy600 said:

or to continue playing FMT

Just a point here, if you're expecting FMT to be an easy version of FM, you're setting yourself up for a fall. It's a streamlined version, but it's designed to be just as hard. 

5 hours ago, withnail316 said:

Turn your difficulty down on Fifa to semi-pro for few of games, build up a bit of momentum, then turn it up again. You shouldn't even notice the change when you go back. 

Exactly what i'm doing right now. I'm also gonna play as Bayern for a few seasons, gradually turning up the difficulty and whatnot. Now i'm fully playing on Semi-Pro, but i'll start playing on Professional against weaker teams again later, and eventually make a full comeback come season 2 or so. Maybe there's some sliders to mess with too.

5 hours ago, withnail316 said:

The alternative is to start at a tiny club on FM where just staying in the division or a midtable finish *is success.* You can then use that momentum to step up into a job with a few more expectations. I'd recommend a job in Scotland for the latter. Nobody will expect you to finish in the top two, so there's less pressure. You can then build from there. 

That is also very much an idea. I mean, playing as Morecambe, I was doing just fine in 19th place, but I was moreso frustrated I couldn't get more results because my defense kept leaking, no matter how many times we scored. It was infuriating. I felt we played good enough to be fighting for promotion spots as we kind of did for like half of season 1.

Edited by Minuy600

10 hours ago, Muttley84 said:

What have been people playing in 2021? FM Careers in Europe with at least 10 updates and the last one being between January 1st and now. Of course I might have missed a couple and not always geographical location is 100% spot on, but I guess it shows the prevalence of UK careers, followed by central Europe and Scandinavia. Still little love of this part of the forum for south and eastern Europe!

Presentation15677eba9c8d43c7c.jpg

Well I'm at Lokomotiv Moscow at the moment, even if I don't have an active thread.

On 16/01/2021 at 21:25, withnail316 said:

Think I'm going to start a new thread tonight. It's been a while since I've been a regular in these parts, but I've really enjoyed my mess-around at Notts this week, so I've stated a "proper" save tonight. I don't have a theme as such (or even a title yet) but it's great to be interested in the game again, especially as it *won't* be a retro save

Fraud! :herman: :lol:

Out of interest, do most of you have gaming-specific laptops/desktops? I only ask because I'm a little envious of some of the gameworlds I see on here. I think my laptop would go up in a cloud of smoke if I even tried to recreate them...

1 hour ago, withnail316 said:

Out of interest, do most of you have gaming-specific laptops/desktops? I only ask because I'm a little envious of some of the gameworlds I see on here. I think my laptop would go up in a cloud of smoke if I even tried to recreate them...

I think you could say that about my PC... six years ago. :lol:

Yeah I don't have a good PC for FM at all. Anything from FM18 just lags terribly on any moment there's something in 3D on display. It's rather disheartening. Luckily FM17 and especially it's Touch version still work fine, and i'm sure that if I run only like 3 countries at once like I do on FMT now, it's gonna be just a bit smoother. FM18 is still my favorite regardless.

On 19/01/2021 at 13:50, withnail316 said:

Nope, just a normal laptop that I got about 6 years ago.

Most of the time I don't have many leagues loaded in my saves though, only have England loaded at the moment in my FMT20 save and this was/is my set up on FMT21 

IgkD3i.jpg

On 12/01/2021 at 14:04, Ronaldo Beckham said:

For me I would say number 2 for the home kit and number 5 for the away kit.

On 15/01/2021 at 18:18, Jimbokav1971 said:

Home. 3, 4, & 5 are ok. I would pick 3. 

1. Un-interesting. 
2. Spiderman. No thanks. 
3. Good. 
4. Good. 
5. Good. 
6. Prefer black trip than white trip. 

Away. I would pick 4.

1. Spiderman. No thanks. 
2. ok. 
3. No thanks. 
4. Yeah, I like that one even though I didn't like the equivalent home kit. 
5. Don't like the diagonal. 
6. A but busy for my liking. 

Apologies for not responding sooner. Only just seen this now. 

Thanks for your replies.:thup:

Well my favourites were dTcdtd.jpggfqSiF.jpg

That was until Spiderman was mentioned, put me off it now lol

Also had a rethink, maybe just keep them simple, as this in the current kits in game >>> DyTTjM.jpg

Designed these >>> tQ5PZT.jpg

Actually not quite happy with the first home one, The away kit is good but the design effect doesn't look so great with the black on the blue, so I prefer option 2 and they are closer to the kits we play in.

But I am going for these 

x57mhv.jpg

Plain & Simple :)

2 hours ago, hrmantovani said:

Can someone link me to a good thread about a Youth Academy Only career? I'm starting a new save and I want some inspiration 😁

Edited by Maw74

3 hours ago, hrmantovani said:

Can someone link me to a good thread about a Youth Academy Only career? I'm starting a new save and I want some inspiration 😁

I do think it is the most rewarding of saves. It can be tough sometimes when you get your big prospects stolen by other clubs or a transition period from ageing players to your new younger players but when you do get some form of success it makes it all the more worthwhile!

20 hours ago, Maw74 said:

Thanks for those! The Liechtenstein one would be an amazing challenge to do in a save. Similar to what I'll be doing in San Marino, might be good to keep an eye on that

19 hours ago, deez0r said:

I do think it is the most rewarding of saves. It can be tough sometimes when you get your big prospects stolen by other clubs or a transition period from ageing players to your new younger players but when you do get some form of success it makes it all the more worthwhile!

It's definitely the most enjoyable way to play it for me. I always try to do youth saves related to San Marino, the final goal (winning the World Cup) is so far that it makes for a long save. I always struggle with the instant early transition from your initial squad to a youth-only one and with rotating between "eras" (sometimes there are no good replacements to aging players). I'll also try looking for some FM 20 threads about Youth Careers, maybe there are some already 30 - 40 years in the future 

1 hour ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

Thanks for that. 

I plan on getting through these too. :thup:

I know that you can mention Youth Only in the title, but I miss being able to use Tags for threads not just to identify my own, but also to find others.

Yeah strange they removed that feature! 

On 17/01/2021 at 11:52, Minuy600 said:

Even FIFA 21 is giving me an unprecented amount of stress. Started with Everton, did well in the first game against Swansea, then proceeded to lose against West Ham in the 85th minute, lost to Man United while they scored with their only 2 shots on target, and then lost against Rotherham in the Carabao Cup.

I'm so exhausted. All football games hate me it seems... I keep doing my best but what's the point? If i'm the only one who CAN'T get success while some people don't do jack **** and proceed to win the treble in the first season while playing on the highest difficulty? While i'm playing on Professional which seemed to work out perfectly fine in the past?

I remember when I played Fifa religiously, I set myself the challenge of becoming the best player I could. I put everything on manual. Passing direction / intensity / shooting etc etc. I think I lasted a week before I sacked the whole thing off. Yes I was challenging myself, but I wasn't enjoying it. It just became so frustrating when I was unable to perform moves and finishes that had been easy with a bit of automated assistance.

Yeah if I had stuck at it, then it probably would have improved my ability to play the game, but more than likely at the cost of my sanity. Anything you do for recreation has  to be enjoyable first before it is anything else. 

Though I second that if and when you come back hit me up in your thread and i'll take a look and offer any advice I can (though as many say I am in no way brilliant at the game).

12 hours ago, Mandy42 said:

I remember when I played Fifa religiously, I set myself the challenge of becoming the best player I could. I put everything on manual. Passing direction / intensity / shooting etc etc. I think I lasted a week before I sacked the whole thing off. Yes I was challenging myself, but I wasn't enjoying it. It just became so frustrating when I was unable to perform moves and finishes that had been easy with a bit of automated assistance.

Yeah if I had stuck at it, then it probably would have improved my ability to play the game, but more than likely at the cost of my sanity. Anything you do for recreation has  to be enjoyable first before it is anything else. 

Though I second that if and when you come back hit me up in your thread and i'll take a look and offer any advice I can (though as many say I am in no way brilliant at the game).

I'll try and finish this season with Bayern off first (I think i've found the right difficulty setting as i'm winning the majority of the matches but not everything), then I hope to come back with a save on my own database i'm in the process of making. That or i'll continue with Morecambe.

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, deez0r said:

I am thinking of doing a European journeyman save starting off in Austria (alphabetically first) and having to win the top flight title in each European country in order :).

Sorry to hear about your corrupt save. :thdn:

A proper journeyman is brilliant. I am absolutely loving my Scandi one. Each to their own though, but I would concentrate on something else other than "Win everything", but that's just me. If you fail to win because you are up against a big powerful opponent than it can take the shine off things. An alternative would be to give yourself a maximum number of seasons in each Nation, or just make it much more relaxed. If winning is what floats your boat though, then fill your boots. 

Good luck. :thup:

1 minute ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

Sorry to hear about your corrupt save. :thdn:

A proper journeyman is brilliant. I am absolutely loving my Scandi one. Each to their own though, but I would concentrate on something else other than "Win everything", but that's just me. If you fail to win because you are up against a big powerful opponent than it can take the shine off things. An alternative would be to give yourself a maximum number of seasons in each Nation, or just make it much more relaxed. If winning is what floats your boat though, then fill your boots. 

Good luck. :thup:

Yeah I am not overly worried about winning if I am honest but its a nice ending point to a nation. I am making it challenging by having to start in the lowest available league in each nation and I cannot use my reputation to jump ship. I must be promoted through the leagues. Will take a lot of time but I am looking forward to it.

Have been really enjoying your Scandi save and it seems you have as well after struggling for a few saves to get into the swing of things in FM21. 

I think I might bring back the Jimbo goalkeeper nicknames. I may need your help in some nation specific names so be prepared! :D

1 hour ago, Muttley84 said:

I think I have missed it completely and someone else is playing with Dinamo in a journeyman save. Sorry mate, my bad ;) 

It's not a problem. Can be confusing since I have both Dinamo and Hajduk in the title. Good job on these!

9 hours ago, Mandy42 said:

I'm taking that Chelsea Badge as me! Furthest south eastern save in the UK :P

Pretty sure Crystal Palace is actually a bit more south eastern than Chelsea, but you can hold on to that record until the map next month :p

7 hours ago, Maw74 said:

Need a bigger map for UK :)

I am still praying the people start playing more on the continent, as I am to lazy to make a detailed caption for the UK :) 

2 hours ago, Muttley84 said:

I am still praying the people start playing more on the continent, as I am to lazy to make a detailed caption for the UK :) 

I'm surprised that we only have 1 save from Turkey, Bulgaria, Romania, Serbia, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Boz & Herz, Montenegro, Cyprus & Malta. 

I really honestly believe that once you go abroad once in FM it changes the way you look at saves forever. I used to play in the UK almost every season, (until I managed San Marino in Italy). Now I rarely manage in the UK, (Although did a Tier 10 save last season). 

Some of the Nations listed above are brilliant to manage in. :thup:

I was planning on doing a youth only save at some point in Austria at tier 10 (already played a bit with this db) or Netherlands at tier 7 but the Czech Republic at tier six could also make for an interesting save.

21 hours ago, Muttley84 said:

European Careers with at least 10 posts and updated at least once in the past 2 weeks. Decided to also take journeyman's into consideration as otherwise it would be a pretty sad map.

Presentation16459f9816d070dca.jpg

So Im holding up the "Non-Europe-Save"- flag :D

Edited by Cheez3y

8 hours ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

I'm surprised that we only have 1 save from Turkey, Bulgaria, Romania, Serbia, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Boz & Herz, Montenegro, Cyprus & Malta. 

Could also be a bit of language barrier, but you are right, some of those can be really fun. In each year I do at least a save in my native Romania, one in the top 5/7 leagues and one in some country I never played before (last year it was Peru, this year havent decides yet). 

4 hours ago, Cheez3y said:

So Im holding up the "Non-Europe-Save"- flag :D

Oil money doesnt count 😎

1 hour ago, -Jef- said:

Anyone else hits the wall and struggle to progress with the save?

I'm struggling just a little at the moment, but then again I am in 2051 so that perhaps makes sense. 

I'm just taking it easy and will play when I want to play. 

Life's a bit strange at the moment, (what with Covid & Lockdown), and I'm trying to do different things to try and break up the time a little. 

2 hours ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

I'm struggling just a little at the moment, but then again I am in 2051 so that perhaps makes sense. 

I'm just taking it easy and will play when I want to play. 

Life's a bit strange at the moment, (what with Covid & Lockdown), and I'm trying to do different things to try and break up the time a little. 

I was actually thinking of @-ing you but I mention you so much in my posts that didn't want to bother you haha.

I am in the stage in save where I can field my II team completely and I would still be first in the league and due to my HGC restrictions the progress in Euro competitions is kind of slow. I have over 200m in transfer budget (will probably go to around 300m when I sell Arezo) but buying foreign wonderkids does not appeal me and paying 10m for domestic talents seem wrong. So I am stuck in a place where I will probably have 10 same seasons next.

Was actually thinking about some challenges domestically to make the save more interesting but those are mostly tactical ones.

What do you do to spice things up?

18 minutes ago, -Jef- said:

What do you do to spice things up?

In a Youth Only save I tend to look at longer term goals rather than winning individual competitions, and although it's harder, I try to continue this in my Journeyman saves. Whether we win this title or that title doesn't really matter to me because I get another goal the next season.

How I pass the time is basically by the goal-scoring GK thing usually, (or tracking Jimbo Jr at the moment), and occasionally I try to do things such as an unbeaten domestic season or fewest goals conceded or stuff like that. Of course it's more common to goal for offensive milestones and I have done these on occasion too. Basically anything to break things up.