The New FMCU General Discussion Thread

deltablue

4 hours ago, iamnobody said:

I had a thought on a save for FM22 (at least until edited countries come out).

Managing a large team (Manchester United, Liverpool...something along those lines), but do it youth only.  Only keep players that are homegrown and no transfers.  I would require myself to sell any non-homegrown players with the first available offer.  

I think the challenge is not buying players to keep up with everyone else and ensuring the youth that come through can maintain the quality of the team.

Does that sound interesting or is it a completely unoriginal idea, :lol:

I've done something very similar before, but I think picking England to do it in is a little vanilla for my tastes. If I was going to do it in the current economic climate, I would have a go at Barca because it fits in with the real life back-story of owing more than £1.2B 

If you don't like the idea of Barca, I've done a very similar save with Partizan in Serbia and obviously the rivalry with Red Star was an enormous part of the save. The problem with doing it with a club like Man Utd or Liverpool is that you are a little hamstrung and it's hard to continue to compete at existing levels, (and yes, I know that's the challenge). 

Picking a smaller Nation might be an easier, (and more enjoyable) idea, but if you really want a challenge then England will certainly give you that. In some ways it's easier, (because of the great facilities), but the domestic competition is so fiercely fought that it's going to be tough. 

Managing expectations, (players, fans & board), is the toughest part of a save like that. There is no way for you to get across to them that you will never go and buy anyone, so they will forever be expecting you to go and buy someone.

If you are just waiting for an edited database to come out, then an in-depth youth only save is probably not the way to go. 

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

39 minutes ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

I've done something very similar before, but I think picking England to do it in is a little vanilla for my tastes. If I was going to do it in the current economic climate, I would have a go at Barca because it fits in with the real life back-story of owing more than £1.2B 

If you don't like the idea of Barca, I've done a very similar save with Partizan in Serbia and obviously the rivalry with Red Star was an enormous part of the save. The problem with doing it with a club like Man Utd or Liverpool is that you are a little hamstrung and it's hard to continue to compete at existing levels, (and yes, I know that's the challenge). 

Picking a smaller Nation might be an easier, (and more enjoyable) idea, but if you really want a challenge then England will certainly give you that. In some ways it's easier, (because of the great facilities), but the domestic competition is so fiercely fought that it's going to be tough. 

Managing expectations, (players, fans & board), is the toughest part of a save like that. There is no way for you to get across to them that you will never go and buy anyone, so they will forever be expecting you to go and buy someone.

If you are just waiting for an edited database to come out, then an in-depth youth only save is probably not the way to go. 

Thanks for your thoughts.  I always enjoy your saves.  It's a must-read every season.

How do other people feel about player positions and how player suitability for a position is demonstrated within the game?

I say this as Ben Chilwell is given half a star in my current line up to play as a defensive winger. The mouse over text is "not suitable for the first team" On the one hand I understand that having players be able to play in every position without penalty would be game breaking. But in reality. What real difference is there between a defensive winger with a defend duty. And a wingback with a support or attack duty. 

In possession he's about 10 yards either side of the half way line. Out of possession if the ball goes down our left side the he drops in to make a five. Its not like I'm asking him to be a shadow striker or a target man. But the game won't even show me what attributes I need him to work on for his "new" role. It basically says he isn't suitable.

Finally, if he truly is useless. Then how come in the two games I've played him there he hasn't put a foot wrong. Its not like the opposition wide player has him on toast because he's that useless. And if he truly is that useless why isn't the AI putting the ball down our left every chance they get?  Both of which I would expect if he's not suitable for the first team.

Surely either back up the tactical ratings with meaningful match game actions. Or your incessant reminders to "play him in a more suitable position" are just meant to annoy me.

Another question. What are peoples experiences with red cards so far?

I've only played 4 premier league games. And 3 out of those games my opponents have been reduced to 10 men. 

In the one game there wasn't a sending off in my particular game. There were still 3 red cards in that match weeks fixtures. 

1 hour ago, Mandy42 said:

I've only played 4 premier league games. And 3 out of those games my opponents have been reduced to 10 men. 

In the one game there wasn't a sending off in my particular game. There were still 3 red cards in that match weeks fixtures. 

That's still a very small sample size. I've played about 40 games so far and there were 3 or 4 red cards, which seems about right.

7 minutes ago, Rikulec said:

That's still a very small sample size. I've played about 40 games so far and there were 3 or 4 red cards, which seems about right.

yeah I figured its difficult to tell from just my 4 games. Why I was asking on here. Increase the sample size without having to rely on my pedestrian pace! 

22 hours ago, Mandy42 said:

How do other people feel about player positions and how player suitability for a position is demonstrated within the game?

I say this as Ben Chilwell is given half a star in my current line up to play as a defensive winger. The mouse over text is "not suitable for the first team" On the one hand I understand that having players be able to play in every position without penalty would be game breaking. But in reality. What real difference is there between a defensive winger with a defend duty. And a wingback with a support or attack duty. 

In possession he's about 10 yards either side of the half way line. Out of possession if the ball goes down our left side the he drops in to make a five. Its not like I'm asking him to be a shadow striker or a target man. But the game won't even show me what attributes I need him to work on for his "new" role. It basically says he isn't suitable.

Finally, if he truly is useless. Then how come in the two games I've played him there he hasn't put a foot wrong. Its not like the opposition wide player has him on toast because he's that useless. And if he truly is that useless why isn't the AI putting the ball down our left every chance they get?  Both of which I would expect if he's not suitable for the first team.

Surely either back up the tactical ratings with meaningful match game actions. Or your incessant reminders to "play him in a more suitable position" are just meant to annoy me.

Absolutely no care in the world for this!

I've read it impacts their Decisioning attribute but I haven't even really seen this, personally.

13 hours ago, Punch said:

How is your new spread sheet coming along @_Ben_?

It's not! Not had a chance to touch it at all this week, but never mind...

4 minutes ago, _Ben_ said:

Absolutely no care in the world for this!

I've read it impacts their Decisioning attribute but I haven't even really seen this, personally.

It's not! Not had a chance to touch it at all this week, but never mind...

the star numbers representation? Or the fact such representation isn't backed up in the match engine? Or both? 

1 hour ago, Mandy42 said:

the star numbers representation? Or the fact such representation isn't backed up in the match engine? Or both? 

The fact that I can take a 4* gold right back, play him at right wing back, giving him a 1* silver rating yet see NO difference!

On 03/11/2021 at 19:13, Mandy42 said:

I think this is a reasonable question, but if there is a difference, (and SI tell us that there will be a cost to pay in doing this in terms of decision-making and performances), I have never really noticed it. 

Because I play long-term saves, my thinking is usually, well if I want him to play there then I will just keep playing him there until he is used to playing there, (and it doesn't take long), and if it's a 1-time only thing, then if I need him to play there then I need him to play there. 

It's all well and good taking the advice, (and it may even be good advice), but at the end of the day it's your decision. I have often played a big full back at centre-half, or a relatively quick centre-half at full back when they have absolutely no knowledge of the position. I just ignore it. Yeah it probably makes a tiny bit of difference, but with everything else I'm probably doing wrong it's like a pee in the ocean. 

On 04/11/2021 at 08:10, Mandy42 said:

I'm getting big numbers of yellow cards, but red cards have been quite reasonable. I would also add that I would expect to get yellow cards with the way I'm asking them to play. 

On 04/11/2021 at 19:05, _Ben_ said:

The fact that I can take a 4* gold right back, play him at right wing back, giving him a 1* silver rating yet see NO difference!

Exactly. 

It's a guide to help you. Ignore it like we choose to ignore everything else. 

You like the look of a player but his star ratings are pants. Does that stop you signing him? I hope not. 

You don't like the look of a player but your Scout tells you that he is the absolute Ballacks in terms of CA. Do you sign him? I hope not.

Take all the info you are given and then YOU decide. 

On 04/11/2021 at 20:49, Punch said:

Fair enough, was just curious as I hadn't sen any updates for a while. These things happen :thup:

Not a lot else to talk about, still. However, I have built (and tested) something that just builds in my principles - win the ball and get it forward.

3f9d128d82f35a048e7b109e8ff3fd8e.png

It's just a tracker to see how often these Romanian Liga II players gain possession and then make a progressive pass with it. It also tracked their positions and roles over the five games I played, with attention to any player instructions as well as team instructions that I changed, starting from a blank slate.

All stuff available easily in the game, just not in one place!

6 hours ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

I'm getting big numbers of yellow cards, but red cards have been quite reasonable. I would also add that I would expect to get yellow cards with the way I'm asking them to play. 

the red cards are of the AI teams i'm playing. Not for my team 

4 hours ago, _Ben_ said:

Not a lot else to talk about, still. However, I have built (and tested) something that just builds in my principles - win the ball and get it forward.

3f9d128d82f35a048e7b109e8ff3fd8e.png

It's just a tracker to see how often these Romanian Liga II players gain possession and then make a progressive pass with it. It also tracked their positions and roles over the five games I played, with attention to any player instructions as well as team instructions that I changed, starting from a blank slate.

All stuff available easily in the game, just not in one place!

This is amazing. You really are phenomenal at this sort of thing. :applause:

On 11/10/2021 at 08:14, Maw74 said:

I am a classic/touch PC player, the great thing about playimg it on PC was you could lift the limitations, so you could play for unlimited amount of seasons and load as many nations as you want, from what I have read the nations limit will be 10 , not sure about number of seasons though, if it is the 30 seasons and that is it....then that kills it for me.

I have already said in another thread that I don't want Xbox Edition for PC, yeah yeah I say that but.....................................................I will always be tempted by new game though, I often purchase the full fat version, in fact 19 is the only full fat version I don't have, since I started playing FM (2010).

My other recent posts....

So yeah I'm all talk lol, 

jHm18T.jpg

As usual the temptation was just too much, also at £25 (it's a bargain) and it's the only game I buy because even if I don't get into latest version I will be playing a version of FM anyway.

I have wanted to give Youth Only a real go for ages, so it is a case of picking what full fat version to do it on, I was all set to do it on FM21, now I am holding off until FM22 full release as I need editor to set my game up.
I will be keeping my FMC15 game going just so that I can take a break from full fat at times, let's see if I can cope with full fat again, I am looking forward to setting my game up, my starting squad will be real players.

This is the squad I selected on the FM21 Editor, a mix of young and old, with a Spurs connection and and sons of stars from the past.

rC9jrA.jpg

I feel like I've had a good little play around on the Beta. I wanted a level similar to where I'll be when I can unlock Russia, so opted for the second tier of Romania, holidaying for a little before taking over the vacant Steaua Bucharest (the one that was ripped apart and left for nothing by FCSB).

I wanted to look at how my tactical identification would work and how I need to go about finding a shape and the intricacies behind the overarching methodology would work, as you saw from the spreadsheet above whereby I was just looking at how often we could win the ball back and then make a pass towards the goal.

f670dc7ae7f5dbe05465fe453207a718.png

I couldn't pull them from the relegation group after their poor early season form but, following the last win, secured their safety and completed my little foray.

Key points for me is that the ME seems to be doing it's best ever job of showing how lower league football works as the players are now no longer world beaters and fitness and tactical familiarity are hugely important things to consider.

I am more than ready for the full release to drop now!

Edited by _Ben_

On 21.10.2021. at 23:54, Punch said:

Хаха супер.

Претпоставио сам да ће то бити случај јер сам се не тако давно зезао у ФМ16, а онда сам дошао у ФМ21 прилично касно.

FM 16 is the best!!!

1 hour ago, Peter G said:

Thanks

Interesting. Do the compensation rules for u24's apply to them you reckon?

I'm not positive, (trying to think now), but when I did a Tier 10 save a while back, you don't get proper compensation for young players below Academy level, and it works that way in real life I think. You also don't get U24 compensation unless the player was a Pro/Semi-Pro. 

I was really frustrated that when I occasionally produced decent youngsters who went on to be professionals, most of the time I received no solidarity or compensation payments in the game. I think the basis is that it's actually compensation for costs incurred in the training of the player, but only for Pro, (or Semi-Pro), clubs. Anyone on a non-contract basis would not generate a compensation payment if they join another club under 24, (and this is replicated in the game). I have a feeling that when I did some research the solidarity payments are voluntary rather than compulsory, but this isn't replicated accurately in game. 

Under EPPP Elite Player Performance Plan the system only works down to League 2, (and while the club are in receipt of parachute payments after being relegated). After that there is no compensation plan, (as far as I'm aware). 

I'm a Barnet fan and we recently lost Ronnie Edwards on a free to Peterborough Utd. There was a bit of an uproar at the time because he lost him effectively "on a free" because after 2 years in the Conference/National League, we lost our Academy status and because of that we had no right to the compensation that comes with it. At 18 years old, Ronnie Edwards is now a regular starter for Peterborough in the Championship and is being watched by just about every premier League club with a brain. 

Although we got a small fee for him in the end, I think it was basically down to Barry Fry, (their DoF), just knowing that they were getting a star and happy to give us a few quid in the knowledge that it was still going to be an absolute steal. Where as we would usually have included a sell on fee and lots of add-ons, my understanding is that we got nothing more than the cash "gift" from Posh. 

In real life the player has to be offered and turn down a new contract at least equal to his old one, but this isn't replicated accurately in the game. It's assumed that a contract has been offered, (I think). 

Edited by Jimbokav1971

4 minutes ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

I'm not positive, (trying to think now), but when I did a Tier 10 save a while back, you don't get proper compensation for young players below Academy level, and it works that way in real life I think. You also don't get U24 compensation unless the player was a Pro/Semi-Pro. 

I was really frustrated that when I occasionally produced decent youngsters who went on to be professionals, most of the time I received no solidarity or compensation payments in the game. I think the basis is that it's actually compensation for costs incurred in the training of the player, but only for Pro, (or Semi-Pro), clubs. Anyone on a non-contract basis would not generate a compensation payment if they join another club under 24, (and this is replicated in the game). I have a feeling that when I did some research the solidarity payments are voluntary rather than compulsory, but this isn't replicated accurately in game. 

Under EPPP Elite Player Performance Plan the system only works down to League 2, (and while the club are in receipt of parachute payments after being relegated). After that there is no compensation plan, (as far as I'm aware). 

I'm a Barnet fan and we recently lost Ronnie Edwards on a free to Peterborough Utd. There was a bit of an uproar at the time because he lost him effectively "on a free" because after 2 years in the Conference/National League, we lost our Academy status and because of that we had no right to the compensation that comes with it. At 18 years old, Ronnie Edwards is now a regular starter for Peterborough in the Championship and is being watched by just about every premier League club with a brain. 

Although we got a small fee for him in the end, I think it was basically down to Barry Fry, (their DoF), just knowing that they were getting a star and happy to give us a few quid in the knowledge that it was still going to be an absolute steal. Where as we would usually have included a sell on fee and lots of add-ons, my understanding is that we got nothing more than the cash "gift" from Posh. 

In real life the player has to be offered and turn down a new contract at least equal to his old one, but this isn't replicated accurately in the game. It's assumed that a contract has been offered, (I think). 

Thanks,

That makes it a bit harder then. Was thinking it wouldn't be too bad if you at least got compensation. A save I'm thinking of anyway.

3 hours ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

Here is a little something that some of you might find helpful. I haven't checked to see if it has changed from FM21, but I can guarantee that it is accurate for FM22.

037e409f333b355f1d2c50133ffbd9e1.png

Junior coaching - adequate is better than average.

All the others - average is better than adequate.

Irritates me every time I see it.

2 minutes ago, DaneBramage said:

Junior coaching - adequate is better than average.

All the others - average is better than adequate.

Irritates me every time I see it.

I've struggled for ages with that. I just refuse to do anything from memory and just refer to a graphic every time. The words mean absolutely nothing to me. 

Im about to document my save but Im not sure if I should be posting in this forum or in the stories forum. Im going to be giving a background to my manager and treating it like a story but its focused on progress in my save with images too. I see an overlap in the FM Career Updates and FM Stories forums where they both have similar things, so I was wondering which is better to post in?

Edited by Platinum
Checked a bit more and I should be using The Careers Update forum

24 minutes ago, Peter G said:

Just waiting for a lower England DB and I think I have my save sorted. Was hoping to start tonight but looks like one hasn't been created yet which is a shame.

I'm too lazy to do it myself :D 

I’m in the same boat - waiting for someone to do the same in Russia!

I've not got FM22 yet and to be honest, I haven't watched too much of the reveals or youtuber stuff as yet but I understand that youth ratings are dynamic now?

I know a lot of guys here do long term, youth only and/or build a nation type saves, so I was wondering if anyone has got far enough in to notice this taking effect and does it get reported like rise in club/league stature does at the end of season?

6 hours ago, davehibb said:

I've not got FM22 yet and to be honest, I haven't watched too much of the reveals or youtuber stuff as yet but I understand that youth ratings are dynamic now?

I know a lot of guys here do long term, youth only and/or build a nation type saves, so I was wondering if anyone has got far enough in to notice this taking effect and does it get reported like rise in club/league stature does at the end of season?

I'm in 2029 Dave but this isn't something that is reported on because there isn't a ranking as such. It's a hidden attribute in the game. (At least I have never seen it mentioned and I wouldn't expect it to). 

I don't know what the Youth Ratings at the start of the game are, and I also don't know if it only ratings are dynamic for active structures. 

I only have Portugal, Spain and Brazil as active leagues in my save, but here are the Youth Ratings. 

Portugal. 121
Spain. 142
Brazil. 166

I will also add in a few random non-active leagues to see if they change. 

England. 123
Scotland. 83
Wales. 71
Iceland. 67
Gibraltar. 35
San Marino. 29

If someone wants to tell me what these Nations are at the start then we can maybe compare and see if there has been a change.

I know @Makoto Nakamurais playing in Wales but don't know if he has the Editor to check this sort of thing.  

@Jimbokav1971 checked the numbers in DB, so following have changed:

Portugal (was 134), Spain (was 145), Brazil (was 163), England (was 135). Scotland and all lower ratings didn't change at all. So it looks like only active and top inactive nations can change their rankings (I wonder how it would work with Vaduz or Canadian MLS teams then).

2 hours ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

I'm in 2029 Dave but this isn't something that is reported on because there isn't a ranking as such. It's a hidden attribute in the game. (At least I have never seen it mentioned and I wouldn't expect it to). 

I don't know what the Youth Ratings at the start of the game are, and I also don't know if it only ratings are dynamic for active structures. 

I only have Portugal, Spain and Brazil as active leagues in my save, but here are the Youth Ratings. 

Portugal. 121
Spain. 142
Brazil. 166

I will also add in a few random non-active leagues to see if they change. 

England. 123
Scotland. 83
Wales. 71
Iceland. 67
Gibraltar. 35
San Marino. 29

If someone wants to tell me what these Nations are at the start then we can maybe compare and see if there has been a change.

I know @Makoto Nakamurais playing in Wales but don't know if he has the Editor to check this sort of thing.  

I don't have the editor sorry Jimbo, and I'm in Norway now! Interesting to see Gibraltar's Youth Rating has increased, I seem to remember it used to be 15.

1 hour ago, Koetzer said:

@Jimbokav1971 checked the numbers in DB, so following have changed:

Portugal (was 134), Spain (was 145), Brazil (was 163), England (was 135). Scotland and all lower ratings didn't change at all. So it looks like only active and top inactive nations can change their rankings (I wonder how it would work with Vaduz or Canadian MLS teams then).

I think it makes sense to me. There has to be a trigger for change and that will be down to European performances I think. There are lots of opportunities for the big European Nations so in comparison it's easier for them to change, (up or down), than it is for the smaller Nations, (who have much fewer opportunities, (to buck the trend). 

If you can imagine me or @Makoto Nakamuramanaging in Iceland or Wales or wherever, then I think you can imagine that we would be making the most of these opportunities before too long and I would expect to see things change. I'm not sure I would expect to see such change, (Iceland being an exception), with Nations that are not active in the game. 

When I finish in Portugal, I might go and see what I can do in Iceland/Gibraltar, (or possibly Latvia as that's a new structure). 

On 11/11/2021 at 09:23, Rikulec said:

For those who are interested in stuff I do - today…

What a fun adventure, and getting great experiences when sticking your hand up to say yes :D :brock:

Especially good for you to see the difference in mannerisms between both clubs (yours and the one you guided around). It’s great you got along with them too :thup:

6 hours ago, Scoham said:

This looks interesting, a recently former Portuguese club who get Cape Verdean newgens.

That's a great shout. We were just talking about Cape Verde in my thread. Was thinking of doing something like this just with the odds and sods that come through in Portugal. To have an actual team as a base is brilliant. :applause:

7 hours ago, Scoham said:

This looks interesting, a recently former Portuguese club who get Cape Verdean newgens.

They were popular in fm20 and fm21 in the youth challenge topic but their is an issue with homegrown rules in the 4th tier. A big issue. So if u can't buy... you are in trouble.  I'm looking for information, screened their Facebook and Instagram, trying to find the right kits and stadium info.

Trying to decide on where to do a save this FM tbh. Usually aim for lesser known/obscure leagues or LLM if I do a major country as a main save, but not sure where to head this year.

Trying not to do Slovakia or Iceland, as I did them in FM21 and tend not to do the same nation in back to back FMs.

Some of you may have read some of my stories. Currently on holiday in Mexico but have decided to bring back my youth only create a club challenge again. This time I am going to start the team much higher up. As @abulezz mentioned in his save it definitely gets more interesting developing better players up in the higher leagues.

So thinking about a lower half Prem team and going from there. Again I will offer the youth intake players out to all who want their name in the game and follow all of their development. If anyone has any good ideas for this then please let me know. From team name to nickname to stadium name etc!