The New FMCU General Discussion Thread

deltablue

22 hours ago, -Jef- said:

What do you do to spice things up?

nutella and edible underwear can help! 

OH! you mean in the football manager save! 

I've just sacked my U18 and U23 managers so I can have control over all of the teams. I also have a list of "home made achievements" to keep track of, some of them are season by season, others are much longer term. For instance tracking how my players fare in trying to beat Alan Shearer's premier league goals record, is a long term goal. While another is winning every competition I'm entered in over the course of a season.

After that I have a long term club goal for becoming the most successful English club of all time (I have the stats for honours won by English clubs off wikipedia). I take the stats as the baseline at the start of the save and add any new trophies clubs win from the game world. 

specific to your save, could you take an international managers job at the same time? give you something "different" if you feel the next few years are gonna be the same.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't remember if I've mentioned it before but last year I felt inspired to try a side save with an English lower league database, and to play it more often recently. It really is a different world even from the smaller playable leagues, including in matters of player fitness and the basic mistakes made by players on the pitch. It's great fun.

I naturally wanted to start in Kent ('proper' Kent specifically, no London suburbs) so chose Rusthall from Tunbridge Wells in the Kent Invicta League (as it was then called), all the way down in Level 10. I got promoted in the first season as well as winning a cup. It was a cup only featuring the 17 teams from this particular division and with 4 promotion spots, but still. In fact only a spring slump denied us a double when were were otherwise running away with the league, and even then we were within a whisker of recovering enough to snatch it anyway. This was despite being predicted to be down in mid-table and having no budgetary room to do anything in the first pre-season. I couldn't even offer a contract to a greyed-out forward (we had none at all) though thankfully someone else could so we got him anyway. Oh and most of the players in a lot of the teams were 16-17.

We found ourselves in the Sussex Premier League instead of the Kent equivalent but that was actually for the better as there were far more teams and fewer relegation places. We hit the round running but then fell away. We were comfortably safe from relegation even with a late-season free-fall but the board were hoping for a proper mid-table spot. I had hoped that having strengthened a lot after promotion we'de benefit from a more settled team the following season but things looked precarious enough job-wise to resign with 2 matches to do.

In that second season at Rusthall I was actually offered the job at Dorchester in the Conference South but there were a few reasons why I wasn't interested. One of those was that I know that sometimes people play 'realistically' and have rules in place about only being able to move up one division with a new job, and I decided to do something similar. 3 divisions just seemed too big a jump to be interesting, while there was also nothing about Dorchester or most other clubs at that level to be appealing anyway, as big a relative step up as it would be. I wanted to stick to the highest level I'd been promoted to so that meant a Level 9 club, with interest from Guiseley (in the Conference North) providing reassurance that I could have my pick of clubs at that low level.

I ended up with AFC Liverpool, who had failed to get promoted back to Level 8 but thankfully with only 1 promotion place and no playoffs, 'top half' was the next highest expectation available. The quality of the players was clearly superior to what I had at Rusthall. I got through the pre-season and into the actual season today, losing the first league game, only narrowly squeaking past the team who are propping up the league at this early stage and going out of the cup to a Level 10 team (at home) I switch tactics and we've utterly torn apart our next three opponents in the league (even if they might not have been the most challenging) to be a point off top after 5 matches despite the opening day defeat. I reckon we've got a very good chance of getting the league and sole promotion spot if we keep it up, even if it looks like I'll be moving up the leagues bit by bit rather than taking a particular club up quite a few divisions.

12 hours ago, deltablue said:

I can't remember if I've mentioned it before but last year I felt inspired to try a side save with an English lower league database, and to play it more often recently. It really is a different world even from the smaller playable leagues, including in matters of player fitness and the basic mistakes made by players on the pitch. It's great fun.

I naturally wanted to start in Kent ('proper' Kent specifically, no London suburbs) so chose Rusthall from Tunbridge Wells in the Kent Invicta League (as it was then called), all the way down in Level 10. I got promoted in the first season as well as winning a cup. It was a cup only featuring the 17 teams from this particular division and with 4 promotion spots, but still. In fact only a spring slump denied us a double when were were otherwise running away with the league, and even then we were within a whisker of recovering enough to snatch it anyway. This was despite being predicted to be down in mid-table and having no budgetary room to do anything in the first pre-season. I couldn't even offer a contract to a greyed-out forward (we had none at all) though thankfully someone else could so we got him anyway. Oh and most of the players in a lot of the teams were 16-17.

We found ourselves in the Sussex Premier League instead of the Kent equivalent but that was actually for the better as there were far more teams and fewer relegation places. We hit the round running but then fell away. We were comfortably safe from relegation even with a late-season free-fall but the board were hoping for a proper mid-table spot. I had hoped that having strengthened a lot after promotion we'de benefit from a more settled team the following season but things looked precarious enough job-wise to resign with 2 matches to do.

In that second season at Rusthall I was actually offered the job at Dorchester in the Conference South but there were a few reasons why I wasn't interested. One of those was that I know that sometimes people play 'realistically' and have rules in place about only being able to move up one division with a new job, and I decided to do something similar. 3 divisions just seemed too big a jump to be interesting, while there was also nothing about Dorchester or most other clubs at that level to be appealing anyway, as big a relative step up as it would be. I wanted to stick to the highest level I'd been promoted to so that meant a Level 9 club, with interest from Guiseley (in the Conference North) providing reassurance that I could have my pick of clubs at that low level.

I ended up with AFC Liverpool, who had failed to get promoted back to Level 8 but thankfully with only 1 promotion place and no playoffs, 'top half' was the next highest expectation available. The quality of the players was clearly superior to what I had at Rusthall. I got through the pre-season and into the actual season today, losing the first league game, only narrowly squeaking past the team who are propping up the league at this early stage and going out of the cup to a Level 10 team (at home) I switch tactics and we've utterly torn apart our next three opponents in the league (even if they might not have been the most challenging) to be a point off top after 5 matches despite the opening day defeat. I reckon we've got a very good chance of getting the league and sole promotion spot if we keep it up, even if it looks like I'll be moving up the leagues bit by bit rather than taking a particular club up quite a few divisions.

Tunbridge Wells isn't 'proper' Kent. You should have come to Chatham Town. That's propah Kennnnt :lol:

17 minutes ago, Deisler26 said:

Tunbridge Wells isn't 'proper' Kent. You should have come to Chatham Town. That's propah Kennnnt :lol:

Technically Medway is a unitary authority with its own jurisdiction seperate from the rest of the county. ;)  I just wanted to avoid the areas that were actually London, and Dartford which might as well be in London anyway and only counts as part of Kent with a certain generosity of spirit. That ruled out quite a few teams actually :D

Always nice getting into a new save @deltablue.

If anyone is struggling for a save I highly recommend going lower league Belgium. As part of my European Tour I am now there and loving it so far. Only 3 playable leagues but in that 3rd league there is so many great potential youngsters that it's such fun to play in. In 2 seasons I have brought in around 30 or 40 players and my whole first team is under 20!

Great for anyone who also enjoys youth development! 

Tried again. Went to Wallis & Futuna, a supposedly extremely easy competition for how weak it is. Did everything right. Lost the first two games anyway.

I'm extremely tired of this. All I want is to have fun and at least have incidental successes like everyone else. What the hell is wrong with me to make me so desperately terrible?

1 hour ago, Minuy600 said:

Tried again. Went to Wallis & Futuna, a supposedly extremely easy competition for how weak it is. Did everything right. Lost the first two games anyway.

I'm extremely tired of this. All I want is to have fun and at least have incidental successes like everyone else. What the hell is wrong with me to make me so desperately terrible?

Don't worry mate. I feel the same when I play Fifa 21 and yet I still go back for more punishment.

Have you thought about downloading some tactics to give you a helping hand ?

11 hours ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

Don't worry mate. I feel the same when I play Fifa 21 and yet I still go back for more punishment.

Have you thought about downloading some tactics to give you a helping hand ?

Yeah I also suffer on FIFA quite badly, but at least I can adjust the difficulty for that and leaves a bit more room for mistakes, I feel.

I'm very much not for downloading tactics, it seems like cheating and I am not that way. Though if this keeps going on, I might eventually have to.

f019824239ddfa421afbf0c032b225c8.png

So I wasn't quite able to let go of my Ajax Cape Town FM19 save after calling quits on the thread I did here. After ending the thread I kept playing and made Ajax the dominant force in South Africa, but the CAF Champions League kept eluding us. But now after 7 seasons we've finally done it, winning 7-1 over the Algerian team that knocked us out at the quarter final stage last year, with our club legend 34-year-old Thabo Mosadi scoring two goals including a 30-yard curler in his final game as a player. I'm so unbelievably proud of this team!

spacer.png

Kinda started crying after this went in!

I'm going to put this in my thread, but I need to say that this isn't my work, but looks impressive all the same. We've known for a while that the best info was no longer up to date, so this should be really beneficial to lots of us. 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1qbn_c7ZQNprDh7K4qcQgEdPJ1uYuRH9icDRtNGVEkL8/edit#gid=0

a8a47d2983d33fd08ab49b5467f6eee6.png
68a1d6cb265070508928d81c0cd85bc3.png

I want to bring this club back :)

Just trying to decide what version to do it on.

Could revive saves on FMC15 or FM18, maybe start fresh save on FM21?

IMG_20210315_231137_887.jpg

Hello, I'm currently coaching Arsenal Pristine (Kosovo), it's a 4rd tired league club, amateur ofc, and they have a policy of only buying players with under 17 years old, is there any way to delete this policy? I don't see myself in the 1st tier of this country with this Policy tbh, I wan't to know if and when my club turns pro if this policy goes away. Thanks

Edited by dsousa96

3 hours ago, dsousa96 said:

Hello, I'm currently coaching Arsenal Pristine (Kosovo), it's a 4rd tired league club, amateur ofc, and they have a policy of only buying players with under 17 years old, is there any way to delete this policy? I don't see myself in the 1st tier of this country with this Policy tbh, I wan't to know if and when my club turns pro if this policy goes away. Thanks

I took a look in the editor, they indeed have a maximum age of 17 set, which can be removed. But you would need to save an editor file with this change and start a new save for this to take effect.

1 minute ago, oriole01 said:

I took a look in the editor, they indeed have a maximum age of 17 set, which can be removed. But you would need to save an editor file with this change and start a new save for this to take effect.

Yeah, but I'm mid season in the 2nd divison of Kosovo, after 6 y in game because of that policy, maybe they delete that policy after turn to pro maybe?

Does anyone no how to delete these 2 in editor?

uN7KKq.jpg

So annoying, might have to start the editing again and create club from scratch rather than just editing MK Dons.

48 minutes ago, DaneBramage said:

This is where it's recorded in FM20. Hopefully it's the same in FM21.

6741f2d86d746fd6c5176e0640dd49d6.png

Thanks.

Yep same place, I deleted them but when I set up game they are still there.

q2FsKz.jpg

On 22/03/2021 at 19:50, DaneBramage said:

This is where it's recorded in FM20. Hopefully it's the same in FM21.

6741f2d86d746fd6c5176e0640dd49d6.png

No worries anyway, wanted to start with everything blank but editing them worked.

l3v8yD.png

So that works fine, everything else is a fresh start, having those 2 records in game makes sense anyway.:)

Edited by Maw74

On 18/03/2021 at 21:12, Jimbokav1971 said:

Dinamo Zagreb might be getting more popular as a save. That Orsic looks handy. :applause:

I have gladly and successfully buried them in the middle of the table with my Hajduk save :D

22 hours ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

It appears that there is a significant Dinamo Zagreb hatred which I was unaware of. :lol:

Am actually Dinamo fanboy since I was a little kid :D

On 19/03/2021 at 00:48, Rikulec said:

I think they might have been one of the most, if not the most hated team for a large part of the FMCU community for years. :lol:

what's the history there?

31 minutes ago, rodesire said:

what's the history there?

I think it started with the popularity of youth only saves in the San Marino league. Basically Dinamo were the team that everyone came up against in the European qualifiers at the later stages where they could actually hope for getting into the group stages. Usually they'd get knocked out, often quite dramatically. That's why everyone began to hate them. :D

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/03/2021 at 07:48, Muttley84 said:

What have been people playing in March in UEFA leagues? Overall a better spread across Europe that the previous month, but the UK still dominates in numbers of threads. A fair deal of long-term careers ending in this period (might be related to the new update and people wanting a fresh start). You won't see my career on the map as I have yet to decide where to start...

FM_Careersd360a7bc665c5470.jpg

That's a really cool idea. Dunno why I never click on this general thread. Wish I could keep up with more threads too.

Was curious what happened to @Stuniverseand his Faroes thread.

spacer.png

Anyone shed any light on why this guy is performing so well? He's playing in my U18s and has been stalked by clubs since he came into my academy. Wolves offered me £10M for him plus addons which only really made me more determined to keep him. I just don't understand why he is so prolific with finishing of 3 and long shots of 7. 

13 hours ago, Mandy42 said:

spacer.png

Anyone shed any light on why this guy is performing so well? He's playing in my U18s and has been stalked by clubs since he came into my academy. Wolves offered me £10M for him plus addons which only really made me more determined to keep him. I just don't understand why he is so prolific with finishing of 3 and long shots of 7. 

I dont think finishing is as major a component any more compared to what it used to be. In saying that a stat of 3 should mean his finishing is Heskey-like. Decent enough stats for a winger though!

Evening. How are we. FMCU?

FM's been tricky for me for a while, I was very much into a York save after buying the Xbox version, but life got in the way and I ran out of steam. I did decide to open the laptop up today though and I *think* I've managed to get into a new save. Fingers crossed I feel the same way in a few days, because if so I may yet be back with a thread...