Real Life Career Updates?

calcal

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just thought I'd come in and give a quick overview of how my games going.

I started unemployed, with all the major European leagues loaded, the lowest reputation setting and applied for all vacant jobs in England.

I got an offer from Bromley, so joined the Blue Square South club fairly early and in time for the start of the season. First season I snuck into 5th place (the last play-off spot), winning my last 7 league games in a row after a terrible run looked to have put me out of contention. The last game of the season I had to hope I won and that two other teams dropped points and it all fell nicely my way. The play-off semi-final was against second placed Chelmsford, a 2-1 home win and nervy 1-1 away from home enough to get me into the final against Basingstoke, where an absolute cracker of an end-to-end game finished 4-3 to Bromley, with my team scoring a 121st minute winner. So Blue Square Prem it was for 2011/12.

I was unfancied in this division and my primary aim was to avoid relegation and establish Bromley at this level. I didn't score many goals all season (48 in 46 games) but also didn't concede many. I finished the season in 17th, relativley unspectacular, never in danger of relegation, 14 points off the drop zone at the end.

By the start of the next season (2012/13) I was already getting linked with other jobs and it was my intention that this be my last season at Bromley, I don't feel I could take them much further. By January I had them 11th in the table and with a very slight possibility of a play-off place, when the Chesterfield manager Mike Newell got sacked and I was the favourite for the job. I launched a press statement saying I would be extremally interested in the job and also applied. I was given the job so left Bromley half a season earlier than I invisaged, but I can see real potential at Chesterfield. When I took over they were 22nd, 1 point off the drop zone and in very real danger of going down to the Conference. I lost my first league game, but then went unbeaten in the next 9, winning 6 and drawing 3. A comfortable mid-table finish of 15th saw a decent start to my League 2 career.

Into 2013/14, and my aim if a moderate and easily achievable top half finish, I will infact be looking for promotion though. An excellent start to the season, culminating with this result, has seen me become the early pacesetters in the division, lets hope I can keep it up :)

Untitled-8.png

Incidentally, down at Bromley my replacement Gary Megson appears to be doing a very similar job to the one I did, they finished last season in 11th and are currently 10th this year, so I've left a mini-legacy there aswell!

Really enjoying this game so far.

@rancer at a guess it was probably with the database it self, or a new updated forum code :)

Its safer to change those things while no one can post or it can corrupt the database :) (I have done it before and broken it... Not good...)

Can we have a General Discussion thread about non FM things?

If there's something that really needs asking then I don't mind this thread being used, but I'm generally not a fan of off topic threads within sub forums.

We do have off topic and football forums for stuff like that. They may not be everyone's cup of tea as forums but they are great if you have specific interests that have their own threads.

Try and play as a team and just use youth? Or if you really want to confuse people, start as Real Madrid (or an equally rich club) and don't sign anyone and sell every player who isn't a youth. Then start :)

My xbox account got hacked and destroyed I have to start again now. Means I may have to play Oblivion, Red Dead Redemption and both Fallout games all over again.

Oh fun :D ill re-add ya if i remember when im next on xbox :)

and jackripper started playing WRC 2010 bit late with it but i like my rally games :)

Oh fun :D ill re-add ya if i remember when im next on xbox :)

and jackripper started playing WRC 2010 bit late with it but i like my rally games :)

It will be fun just not sure what game to do first, might get Oblivion done ready for Skyrim.

My gamer tag is now lefthandofgod81.

Been reading this forum for the past few days and it's been quite enjoyable, particularly the journeyman careers. Trouble is by reading it, it's made me want to make one too, and now I'm into a dilemma. I already have a career running in the CSE forum for the Gundo Challenge. And a sign-up which isn't generating much interest. Getting spread thin at the moment with these 2 things, nevermind with an extra career! I'm thinking of killing off the sign-up, but still don't know whether to remain in the Gundo or start a journeyman save here. I'm 13 or 14 seasons into it, and closer than ever to finishing a challenge which is something I've never done. Starting to get past the Champions League groups regularly. On the other hand, the domestic championship is so easy, and the progress in Europe so slow that it's getting less fun than it was...

What would you guys do?

It's completely up to you. I find it easier to be with one club but then thats how I like to play. You may want to start at a low club and just get higher jobs when offered, it's your choice.

Well yes I do tend to find it hard to leave a club too because you have to start all over again, but sometimes there's a point where you want a new challenge.

Btw don't worry about the future of your french goalie, if I kill off the Tata sign-up at least I'll let it holiday till the end of their careers and reveal what happened to the players/clubs. :)

Sometimes this game just makes me want to snap the disk...

Playing Sheffield utd away, who have just been on a 6 game losing streak, we go one up in the 80th minute, I go from our 4-4-1-1 to a 4-1-4-1 to kill the game off, go defensive, all the normal SUS shouts, etc, and Nick Montgomery with his long shots stat of a massive 4 sticks one in from 30 yards in the 89th minute.

Drives me mental, when the game decides it wants you to draw there is just nothing you can do about it. I am always conceding late goals or equalisers, no matter what I do to try and prevent it.

Archived