Real Life Career Updates?

calcal

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that 'Automatic' has been broken for several versions now actually. Not sure if it is fixed for FM11 though.

Automatic used to give you the lowest reputation suitable to the lowest level you had loaded in the game. Since FM09, something went wrong and 'automatic' now seems to give you a higher reputation.

Sunday League is the safest option if you want to start with the lowest rep possible. All of the CSE challenges recommend it, for instance.

I, personally, would never start unemployed with automatic, as it always seems to give me a reputation much too high. I always start with Sunday League and have done so since FM09 came out and seemingly ruined the old system.

Ah right, OK. Because I started unemployed with intention of being Sunday League, and then looked at my profile and saw it said Automatic. I've gone from Newport County to Sheff Wed to Newcastle in about 7 seasons, which seems a bit quick to me given the move to Wednesday was finalised before the end of the first season, in which I was only in a playoff position when offered. Seems a bit soon to be bypassing L2 straight to L1.

But at the same time I will end up talking myself into starting again if Automatic gives you a higher rep.. :)

If you're planning a career starting at the bottom then Sunday League is the only way. It gives you an 'unproven' rep.

With automatic, I think it gives you quite a high rep, something like maybe 'regional', which means you can walk straight into FL jobs.

I've no idea why they changed it. It was fine as it used to be. They've never explained why. Not to my knowledge anyway.

Well I started my current game on Sunday League and got a job in the German 5th tier, now I've been promoted a few times and am in my sixth season my reputation is regional but I never get linked with any german teams, only very very rarely get linked with any english teams (my manager's nationality) and can seemingly only get a job in the blue square leagues despite having gotten my tiny team into 2. Bundesliga. Tbh I'm wondering whether I should keep going in the hope of being able to move or just delete it now before I waste more time.

Isn't the German 5th tier a custom league?

I'm wondering whether reputation built up in custom leagues seems to be affected.

Yes it is a custom league which is why I'm wondering like you said... at the same time Acidburn has his game with New Zealand etc and managed to move, so annoying.

I'm afraid that the time has come for me to 'unhook' from FM for a period of time. So I won't be about as much, certainly won't be playing the game at all, although I will probably pop in here occasionally (I'll be playing the game vicariously through you guys ;))!

At the moment, I'm in the process of producing a piece of academic work (a postgraduate research project) that represents the culmination of quite a few years of study. It's going to be an important few months for me and I need to dedicate myself to my work. I think this means that I will have to give up the game in order to focus 100% on my studies for a small period of time. I'm thinking of giving my FM disc to Mrs Crouchaldinho to hide somewhere in the house! St. Albans City and Hellas Verona will have to wait for their managerial saviour while he finishes off his MA!

I have to admit, and I am slightly ashamed to admit, that the game, even after all of this time, still has the power to impact upon my mood, make me grumpy and frustrated etc. However, it's not always negative, and quite often the game can make me feel uplifted and positive, but I think I have to face the fact that FM is probably a game that I can never just 'pick up a play' casually. When I'm feeling addicted and I have that 'one last match' feeling, I have to play most days and, at the moment, I really need to use that time for work. FM also occupies way too much of my thoughts during the day at times! When I'm not playing it or thinking about it, I can often be found on here talking about it with like-minded souls and fellow addicts! I think I probably play too often and it definitely has an impact upon my work at times.

I think that I probably have a quite addictive/obsessive personality. I absolutely love narrative (I'm a bit of a book worm) and FM always provides a compelling narrative in so many different ways! At its best, FM has the feeling of being a 'page turner' and that's why I love it so much. When I'm really into a save, I often get that 'must play one more game' or 'must just tweak my tactics' or 'must just make that one last signing' feeling! I love FM to bits and find it great fun etc., but sometimes I get too obsessive and need a break. Pretty bad when you think about it like that! So definitely a need to 'unplug' for a while! In this case, I probably need to ask my wife to hide my FM CD for a while so that I can complete my studies without distractions involving getting the best out of my talented young striker or attempting to win that elusive missing trophy! As I said above, the mighty Saints and the Gialloblu will have to wait! :(

Isn't the German 5th tier a custom league?

I'm wondering whether reputation built up in custom leagues seems to be affected.

Weird... resigned and holidayed to try and get another job, got a job in Australia (also a custom league), my reputation immediately jumps to national and my knowledge of germany immediately vanishes.... guess I'm going to bin this game.

Also, good luck with the studying crouchy, what area is it you're working in?

We will miss you Crouchy, please come back after? :)

No doubt, I'll be back. I've never been able to stay away from CM or FM for long!

Also, good luck with the studying crouchy, what area is it you're working in?

English Literature (more specifically Modernism).

No doubt, I'll be back. I've never been able to stay away from CM or FM for long!

English Literature (more specifically Modernism).

Nice, good luck, and time away from this game can be good, I generally go through periods of playing for a few months then a longer period without touching it and always enjoy things more when I come back.

as ive got all the achivements on Steam for FM10 id like the last few on FM11 any idea what ive got to do to get these?

Value for money - self explanitary will hit this in three years of my sunderland save

Take over survival - just gotta assume ill get a takeover at some point

The Professor - got 65% knowledge i need 75% but got max scouts and best scouts money can buy any tips?

Continental King - is this to win the Champions League on 3 different continents? or is it to win the Copa America, african Nations, Euro champs?

the Contintal king i should be able to do with sunderland then as ive just taken over Brazil so can add to the African Nations and the Euro championships, ive got plenty of feeder clubs i think the highest ive had is 67% so going to overhaul my scouts in the summer and try and fill in the "gaps"

jesus, out of the frying pan...

I left Woking as I felt that league 1 was about their level, joined PNE, also in league 1...what a mess...no morale, not much cash, an unbalanced squad..

You can see why the last boss got the push, just terrible results and form. Gonna be a lot of hard work in the summer.

If you're planning a career starting at the bottom then Sunday League is the only way. It gives you an 'unproven' rep.

With automatic, I think it gives you quite a high rep, something like maybe 'regional', which means you can walk straight into FL jobs.

I've no idea why they changed it. It was fine as it used to be. They've never explained why. Not to my knowledge anyway.

Is this the case since 11.3? Because I can assure you that 'automatic rep' doesnt get you into FL jobs at all when you started your career when the game was released. I'm struggling to get any interest from clubs higher than the lowest rep leagues I've loaded. I was 'forced'to start out in the lowest rep league, and after 10 seasons I still was. I've never been spontaneaously asked to take over somewhere, and I've even had to wait a full season of 'apply to all' to get my first offer after I quit a job. And the new job again in the lowest of the lowest rep league. In my case that would be dutch 4th tier or english 8th tier. After ten seasons of struggling I now managed to get a job in the scottish 2nd division, which isnt much, but still a big step up from where I came from. It's actually the first sign that suggests that automatic rep didn't ruin my career save after all. But it surely didnt make things easy.

I don't know how automatic rep works, it's a vague term to start with. In previous FM's (I thought) it meant the lowest possible rep, although the term suggests some sort of random rep being assigned to you. Back then sunday league rep made a career much easier.

Yeah, that's what I thought. And that's what happened. I got a job in the lowest league loaded of my domestic Holland. IMO the most realistic way to start a career as a total nobody in the footballing world. I just commented on crouchaldinho's remark that automatic made things easy. When you start unemployed it actually makes things really hard. And that's the way I like it ;-)

whereas if you start with a auto rep at a lower club you have a slightly higher rep as it will be based on the club you take on which is normally a bit higher to me its so a no body manager wont get the sack after losing 3 games etc..

this is just the way i understand it so may not be right

Probably, but luckily the first couple of seasons seem more easy then later on in the game as there are some quality clubless players available that dont mind playing in the dugeons of football for next to no money. So doing poorly in the first two seasons is more of an achievemant than doing well. Maybe that was the problem in my career save, I quit the first job after the second season (the season I actually got the club promoted). Only then did the real struggle begin..

My understanding of 'automatic' experience is that it sets your reputation in-line with the lowest league reputation that you have loaded. For example, if you have English loaded down to the BSN/BSS, your reputation will be set to the level of an average BSN/BSS club. If you only have the Premier League loaded, your reputation will then be set to the level of an average Premier League club.

That being said, I don't think automatic works as well as it should do and sometimes will make it too easier to get a job from the 'in box' leagues.

When using edited add-on league such as lower levels of England/The Netherlands, it will set your reputation ridiculous low (lower than what Sunday-League experience would), which means you will need to do incredibly well to increase your reputation enough to be recognised for a better job.

For all of these reasons above, I always start with 'Sunday League' experience and have seen my reputation grow as I would have expected and receive job offers at regular intervals

That was what I thought, but as I said earlier, I moved from BSP to L1 within 1 season. I mean, I'm OK at the game but not that good!

I have since started a couple of new games and set it to 'Sunday League Footballer', and then checked my profile after loading and it has reverted to 'Automatic'. So not sure what to think...

When using edited add-on league such as lower levels of England/The Netherlands, it will set your reputation ridiculous low (lower than what Sunday-League experience would), which means you will need to do incredibly well to increase your reputation enough to be recognised for a better job.

For all of these reasons above, I always start with 'Sunday League' experience and have seen my reputation grow as I would have expected and receive job offers at regular intervals

On the other hand: How much interest would you expect as a manager with no history in professional football what so ever. And I guess not many former professionals play this game, so while in one way it frustrates the hell out of me that I dont get offered higher rep jobs, on the other hand: which foreign club would ever want to gamble on a dutch no-experience manager to lead their club to success (or failure) unless he has proven himself in a fair number of seasons at some level. In my case it took me untill after the 21/22 season to get into an in-box league (being SD2). That is frustrating and sort of realistic at the same time, although the first 4th tier dutch manager with no name in football that gets a job in Scotland has yet to be born I guess. So maybe automatic rep isnt so bad after all.

And if the game was really realistic no player would ever get a job anywhere, would he?

"So sir, what teams have you managed so far?"

"Well, I took Leek Town into europe in FM07, and did a pretty good job at Sundsvall and Siena in FM10. Ah wait, I also won the Champions League with Coventry and also qualified for the world cup with Malawi, but that was back in the CM years"

"Well that's some cv you got there. I gladly leave the fortunes of this club in your hands. You've got the job!" ;-)

Haha, so true. I actually spent a staggering total of €9k on players (one in this case) in 12 seasons worth of FM11. I hardly ever buy a player, all on free transfers. Larger wage-budgets are welcome by the way, I often like to sign players I cannot afford salary-wise..

I think it would be cool if you were interviewed for jobs by the chairman. They could have specific criteria they're after, whether it is attractive football, working well within financial constraints etc, and then you get the job based on what you say. Then, if you didn't deliver they could give out warnings and what not and eventually sack you if it turned out you were talking ****.

jesus, out of the frying pan...

I left Woking as I felt that league 1 was about their level, joined PNE, also in league 1...what a mess...no morale, not much cash, an unbalanced squad..

You can see why the last boss got the push, just terrible results and form. Gonna be a lot of hard work in the summer.

Is that why the thread got locked ?

I knew you'd be out of there before me. :mad:

Is that why the thread got locked ?

I knew you'd be out of there before me. :mad:

yeah, sorry about that..thinking back I should have wrapped the thread up before getting it closed, ut i was up to my neck with Preston...

The seaon ended thus...

(All from memory) with about 11 or 12 games to go i recieved the job offer, Woking hovered at around 20th place, PNE around 15th. obviously PNE are a bigger club, better stadium, etc so I took them up on it.

After a rocky start of 3 losses and a draw everything clicked and we went on a 6 win streak, which was ruined by a promoted huddersfield last game off the season.

We finished 9th i think, Woking stayed up finishing 19th iirc. So good stuff.

Now in pre-season, with an overhaul. if you are fused i'll post the last table.

you'll get out of there in the end, whats your rep? Mine was national at time of leaving.

Is it possible to go from sunday league footballer to world class manager reputation within a normal lifetime without cheating (on 11.3)? If so how many seasons would it you guess to take with good management skills?

I've started career game as unemployed sunday league rep taking over ballymacash rangers (n.ireland) and wondering what is possible from here on in.

Is it possible to go from sunday league footballer to world class manager reputation within a normal lifetime without cheating (on 11.3)? If so how many seasons would it you guess to take with good management skills?

I've started career game as unemployed sunday league rep taking over ballymacash rangers (n.ireland) and wondering what is possible from here on in.

It's definitely possible, but will take several seasons to get there when starting at the bottom and working your way up. Winning trophies and exceeding expectations are the ways to do it :)

Hi all,

I'm hopeing you can help. I usually only load 1 country but want to start a save with a number of leagues loaded. I was wondering, how many leagues/nations do you think i could load with the below laptop:

Acer Aspire 5542

AMD Athlon II X2 M300 (2.0Ghz, 1MB L2 Cache)

ATI Radeon HD 4200 Graphics Up to 1919MB HyperMemory

4GB Memory

Not really sure what this means (useless with computers lol) but the laptop is over a year old and FM rates it at 2.5 stars.

Any help would be most appreciated

Thats great thanks. I'll start with 4 and see how slow it is. Hopefully it won't be too bad.

I'll hopefully be getting a new laptop in a couple of months and then i might be able to start a huge journeyman career :D

ok just been told on twitter that the two achievments "The Professor" and "Continental King" actualyl work, funny that as no body has them and ive got 76% scouting knowledge in my FM game and no achievment, and ive messed about with a different save and won three versions of the champions league and dont have that either

RE automatic rep - I swear I started as an unemployed Sunday League Footballer, but now the rep says "Automatic" - maybe because I went to a Swedish 2nd division side rather than an English BSS/BSN side? (they were the first to offer me a job).

I've been linked to a couple of League Two sides but have yet to get any offers, nor have I been linked to any bigger clubs in Sweden or had any offers.

Life with Preston in the first full season is ...interesting..

Second in the table behind a relegated Sheffield Utd who are also the top scorers with 33, we have 32 but have conceded 10 more with 17! Gung ho football ftw!

record is now (iirc!)

P13 W10 D0 L3 F32 A17 Points 30

Very pleased with a free transfer I picked up, a young regen striker with a few decent stats, fairly poor technically, but with good aggression, determination and 17 pace. he seems to have a goalscoring ability that his stats do not indicate!

He's a Portuguese U19 international, scored something like 10 in 13 for them!

Archived