Real Life Career Updates?

calcal

I can't say I'm a big fan of the Italian leagues, I think I'd prefer to manage in Germany.

Why's that Dafuge?

First and foremost, I prefer English football. However, there is something about the big names in the Italian leagues and the whole culture around football in that country for me personally. I grew up idolising Roberto Baggio and watching the Italian national team in 1990 and 1994 and found it intriguing, I guess because it was so different to what I knew from English football and I probably found it exotic etc. Also, I remember Football Italia was always on Channel 4 when I was a kid, and I used to love watching all of these amazing stars and teams in Italy, again so different in terms of tempo and tactics to what I was used to. Then there was books like the one on Hellas Verona by Tim Parks, and the book on the miracle of Castel di Sangro, which caught my imagination. I've also visited Italy several times and just found the whole culture around football really interesting. I guess it's a case of romanticising something that I don't really know that well but have glimpsed and probably filled in some of the details myself!

I always get more of a kick out of FM when involved in what I know in real life. I don't know German football very well at all. I've never watched it in depth in the same way as I have Italian football. Same with Spanish football. Thus, I don't find them as interesting. That said, I remember managing in Germany on FM08 during a career save I had running and enjoying my time there a great deal.

At the moment, a few factors are making me desire a return to Italy. First of all, I loaded up an old save in Italy on CM03/04 on a bit of a nostalgia trip the other day and remembered how much I had enjoyed it. Secondly, I'm keen to try something very Italian-style in terms of my tactics, probably involving a 4-3-1-2/diamond midfield. Finally, I've been dipping in and out of John Foot's Calcio, so my imagination is fired up by Italian football right now. :D I should add to this that SnakeXe's career with Messina has me keen to try a similar adventure!

I'm also a little miserable with English football right now and my Saints save is feeling a little sad for me to play at the moment. It's been a miserable season for me as a fan and so I think I desire an escape to somewhere different to forget and to enjoy something different for a change.

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was thinking more in terms of FM than real life. I've found that the rules/style in Germany suit me far more than those in Italy.

I also grew up with Football Italia, but the recent state of that league and my introduction to Sky and the Spanish (and German) leagues has swayed me more towards those. Despite visiting Italy and having access to the matches (via ESPN) I just don't find it anything like I remember it as a kid.

I was thinking more in terms of FM than real life. I've found that the rules/style in Germany suit me far more than those in Italy.

I also grew up with Football Italia, but the recent state of that league and my introduction to Sky and the Spanish (and German) leagues has swayed me more towards those. Despite visiting Italy and having access to the matches (via ESPN) I just don't find it anything like I remember it as a kid.

Nothing is as good as when you are a kid though, is it? Pretty sure that no football these days is as good as when I was a kid! :( I think maybe there is just something purer about watching football as a child though. Everything is new and exciting, our tastes are simple and uncomplicated, and our love and excitement for players or clubs is much, much purer. We have to justify nothing and just enjoy what we like!

But I know what you mean about the state of the Italian league these days but, once again, my over-active imagination comes in with the hope that my manager and my club can restore some former glory to the Italian game! :p

Regarding the rules, is that just the one non-EU player rule that I saw you are struggling with in your thread?

Probably if I had Sky and watched more German or Spanish football, I would develop more interest for those leagues too. I could see myself getting quite into German football but, for some reason, I just have this block whenever it comes to Spanish football. I don't know why but it hasn't ever quite held my interest, which is strange to say seeing as many might suggest it is the best league at the moment (similar maybe to Italian football in the 90s).

Nothing is as good as when you are a kid though, is it? Pretty sure that no football these days is as good as when I was a kid! :( I think maybe there is just something purer about watching football as a child though. Everything is new and exciting, our tastes are simple and uncomplicated, and our love and excitement for players or clubs is much, much purer. We have to justify nothing and just enjoy what we like!

Absolutely!

As a kid I was obsessed with players like Van Basten, Romario, Baresi, Maradona, Batistuta, Baggio etc. I used to study teams and leagues and suck up football knowledge like a Hoover (because Dyson wasn't around back then).

Now I'm just 'yeah, that Messi's alright' :D

Regarding the rules, is that just the one non-EU player rule that I saw you are struggling with in your thread?

Probably if I had Sky and watched more German or Spanish football, I would develop more interest for those leagues too. I could see myself getting quite into German football but, for some reason, I just have this block whenever it comes to Spanish football. I don't know why but it hasn't ever quite held my interest, which is strange to say seeing as many might suggest it is the best league at the moment (similar maybe to Italian football in the 90s).

The non-EU rule is killing me, but I also think my tactics might be struggling. I like an attacking style but it just doesn't seem to be clicking in Italy. Maybe I need more time but I have a feeling that my style just isn't suited to this league.

A few years ago I watched a lot of Spanish football, it seemed pretty good then. Now it just seems to be all about Madrid/Barca.

...I just have this block whenever it comes to Spanish football. I don't know why but it hasn't ever quite held my interest, which is strange to say seeing as many might suggest it is the best league at the moment (similar maybe to Italian football in the 90s).

I feel the same way C. I'm not quite sure why but it doesn't hold my interest either. I'm like you and daf in that the Italian leagues really hold my interest, probably due to the fact that I also grew up with programs like Football Italia and idolised players such as Gazza, Maradona, Baggio, van Basten, Batistuta, etc.

All this talk about Italian football is making me want to start an Italian save too :D!

Like the rest of you I guess football italia influenced me quite a bit as I've spent many a version of CM/FM playing in Italy and I always looked forward to italian teams playing in the champions league, didn't have sky until I was much older so it was basically that and Motd for footy on tv. Now I'm finding other places more attractive in game particularly once I've read books about them such as the Netherlands or Germany, but there are still things I'd like to do in Italy in my game such as win Genoa a golden star with a 10th scudetto or restore Torino simply because I've read Calcio.

Guess I'm odd in that I've never really played in England in these kind of games, foreign leagues have always interested me more and there is less of a 'oh I hate team X can't manage them', outside of ending up at Barca or Madrid in a game occasionally I can't say Spain has pulled me in yet though, maybe once I read Morbo it will.

For me, for nostalgic reasons, Italian football will always have a place in my heart. 15/20 years ago it could be debated that Serie A was the best league in the world with the stars of Maradona, Baggio, van Basten etc on show. I remembered being enthralled by it, watching on Channel 4 with the Gazetta programme on a Saturday morning and then a live match on the Sunday. It was something completely different to what was on offer in the UK, the Premier League had only just started and I didn't have Sky at the time. The only other live football on the TV were the England internationals and some of the domestic cups matches, which were not on weekly, unlike the Italian football.

However, since the match-fixing scandals, Italian football has really lost it's shine to me. I think it really tarnished it's image, and I doubt the league quality will ever get to the heights that it was in the early 90's. Nowadays, I love the excitement and competitive nature of the Premier League, and to a lesser extent, the Bundesliga. As much as I admire the tactical 'cat and mouse' that still goes on in Serie A, the draw to watch it isn't there any more. I can honestly say that from watching the Premier League religiously over the last 3/4 seasons, I have never enjoyed watching live English football as much as I do now. It is so unpredictable, and even though the majority of the big names are now in Spain, the competitiveness of the league and the entertainment value makes it unmissable viewing.

For these reasons, I also enjoy playing FM in England the most. That being said, I agree with dafuge when saying that Germany is fun, due to the short seasons and lapse rules and regulations. However, due to my cautious tactical approach, the Italian leagues always suit my style of play and I tend to enjoy a fair bit of success there.

Well i'm rather happy. Just ordered a brand spanking new custom pc. Won't be with me for a couple of weeks but when it is...I think I'll be switching from my current game to a career with all leagues loaded...HUGE. Can't wait. New pc has been a long time coming for me :)

Really don't know what to do at the moment, starting the 5th season of my career game and my manager reputation is 'Regional' having started with Sunday league experience. Nationality is English but I got my first job in Germany's 5th tier (editor file) and having worked miracles there I just can't seem to be able to move on, even to clubs in lower divisions or regional reputation. Did get linked with a few English blue square n/s or prem jobs in season 3 but nothing the last year in game and never get linked to any german jobs... really want to start my career thread but now worried I'm never going to get to leave this team thanks to the oh so wonderful reputation system.....which as I wanted a journeyman career would make it fairly pointless continuing.

On 11.3 patch, should I find it easier to move if I ever get to national reputation? if that ever happens :(

I've found that with a low reputation there was very little chance of moving clubs while under contract. I had to leave the club before anyone else would hire me.

Have attempted that and I just get laughed off of pathetic jobs miles below the one I left in divisions and reputation... also put it on holiday/apply for anything and got nothing....

Iacovone, how much is your new laptop setting you back? May be time for Crouchaldinho to think about making a new purchase too. :(

My laptop seems to be ******!

Last night, my laptop was working fine. This morning, I go to power on and it gives me the old black screen routine. Just wouldn't boot up.

I've spent all morning trying to find out what's wrong with it. Eventually, I tried removing the RAM as a last resort. Found out that one of the RAM slots appears to be the issue. It'll boot up fine when one particular RAM slot is empty.

I've no idea how this has happened. It was working absolutely fine last night.

Both sets of RAM appear to be fine (they both work separately in the working slot). The dodgy RAM slot in question actually doesn't feel right. When I go to click the RAM into place, there isn't that satisfying 'click'. Something isn't quite right. The RAM slots in but there is no 'click' into place.

This could be the beginning of the end for my laptop. I've had it since 2007, so it's not even really that old.

To be honest, I think the fan is broken as well. It seems to be constantly whirring. Sometimes the whirring can be quite loud and it can buzz a bit too. This tends to be when I've got a few applications open or when I am doing several things at once. If I have a few things open, it sounds a bit like an aircraft taking off! I do get out the hoover see if I can suck up any dust from the bottom of the laptop on a fairly regular basis though. Lately it has been making less and less difference. Maybe the bearings in the fan have gone or it's just broken.

I use my laptop a lot, esp. for FM, so I wonder if I have just knackered it! Could the fan issue be related to the RAM slot thing?

Would appreciate it if people could advise if it is just time for a new laptop or if this one is salvageable in any way (i.e. is it possible to fix the RAM slot or the fan?)

Pretty gutted right now. Can't really afford a new laptop. :( If anyone in this thread has some technical help to offer, that would be awesome!:thup:

Hellas Verona save might be on hold while I get this sorted. :(

This will sound really insensitive mate, and it really isn't but that description of your laptop issues really tickled me! Sorry to hear that you have issues though, that's a real bastard. Kind of similar to my problems too - had my laptop since 2006 and it was great at the time but we've since had a couple of fan replacements, battery replacements, etc.

I'm actually purchasing a desktop rather than laptop as I really wanted something top of the range. I can PM you details if you'd like?

I bought a new pc a few months ago an i7 overclocked to 4gHz with 6gb of ram although I think fm only uses 4gb of ram. It runs like a dream but I prefer to play fast and do not load lots of leagues.

Got no internet apart from my phone for a few weeks so gutted that I can't update my thread or even read some threads because of the pictures.

Sounds a similar set up to the one I'm getting AcidBurn. Have you tried a game with lots of leagues loaded? I'm getting rather excited about being able to run a truly huge spectrum of leagues :D

This will sound really insensitive mate, and it really isn't but that description of your laptop issues really tickled me!

Harsh and so insensitive! :mad:;)

To be honest, I see the funny side.

My wife has been teasing me for months now, saying that maybe my laptop has actually evolved and now has developed artificial intelligence. It is unhappy with being a laptop and wants to be a coffee percolator (the sound it makes is not dissimilar to a coffee machine)! We expect that one day, my laptop will finally deliver a cup of black coffee and will then terminate its own life having achieved its objective. :D

Sorry to hear that you have issues though, that's a real bastard. Kind of similar to my problems too - had my laptop since 2006 and it was great at the time but we've since had a couple of fan replacements, battery replacements, etc.

I'm actually purchasing a desktop rather than laptop as I really wanted something top of the range. I can PM you details if you'd like?

Yeah, PM me the details please Iacovone. I was thinking maybe desktop actually as you get more for your money.

I bought a new pc a few months ago an i7 overclocked to 4gHz with 6gb of ram although I think fm only uses 4gb of ram. It runs like a dream but I prefer to play fast and do not load lots of leagues.

How much AB, roughly? Need to start counting those pennies, I guess. :(

I spent around 900 quid on mine and that was just the tower. I just got advice on which to buy from acidmonkey and my brother in law having two computer geeks to ask made it easy.

All this football Italia talk is making me want a career in Italy now. Probably as Pro Vercelli the ultimate sleeping giant.

Yeah get a desktop Crouchy..it's more value and you get a lot more out of your hard earned money.

I'm looking at new desktops here and they're around $1000US, for just the tower though. I got a monitor earlier.

Just don't ever ever in the history of mankind get a Dell system...

Yeah get a desktop Crouchy..it's more value and you get a lot more out of your hard earned money.

I'm looking at new desktops here and they're around $1000US, for just the tower though. I got a monitor earlier.

Just don't ever ever in the history of mankind get a Dell system...

+1 Dell are awful.

Find someone who knows a bit, get them to build you one. Twice the performance for half the price.

+1 Dell are awful.

Find someone who knows a bit, get them to build you one. Twice the performance for half the price.

Too bad it took me $2000CDN, 2 laptop batteries, and 3 adapters to learn that lesson...I can probably write an essay on why Dell sucks.

It's best to get one custom built. Check some brands from .uk computer sites. I'm thinking of buying from iBUYPOWER unless I can get someone to help me build it...the towers they got pretty nice specs at a pretty good price (I don't need a monitor. I have a 23 inch one already)

Harsh and so insensitive! :mad:;)

To be honest, I see the funny side.

My wife has been teasing me for months now, saying that maybe my laptop has actually evolved and now has developed artificial intelligence. It is unhappy with being a laptop and wants to be a coffee percolator (the sound it makes is not dissimilar to a coffee machine)! We expect that one day, my laptop will finally deliver a cup of black coffee and will then terminate its own life having achieved its objective. :D

Yeah, PM me the details please Iacovone. I was thinking maybe desktop actually as you get more for your money.

It's not happy because you promised it a trip to Venice and instead you're in Verona ;) hope you get it sorted soon.

Well it it helps you can build something pretty awesome for under £500.

I am currently running:

AMD 965 @3.4Ghz

4GB 1333Mhz RAM (It is not only the amount but the speed it counts!)

2 500GB HDD's in RAID 0

GTX 460

ASUS Motherboard

3 Case fans 80mm+

700 watt PSU (this was given to me)

It cost me £400 without the PSU so £70 for a decent one and your set :) IMHO Intel are too overpriced. They are fast but not that much faster than AMD :)

I spent around 900 quid on mine and that was just the tower. I just got advice on which to buy from acidmonkey and my brother in law having two computer geeks to ask made it easy.

geek? :D

and Flamers i built a i7 i just prefer the intel chips over AMD now for the last few just feel im getting more bang for my buck, i built this for think it was £560ish

i7 930 (OC to 4GHz)

6GB of DDR3 Ram

2x 500GB HDD's (reycled from old machine)

ATi 5770

new PSU but blew that up got a refund on it and im using an older one again.

ASUS board

Antec 1200 case

dvd writers are recycled from my old machine again

the phenoms were a flop, way to inefficient with power, the Phenom IIs were better they wernt worth the price comparison i do a fair bot of 3D editing and rendering the 4 hard cores and 4 virtual ones make life so much easier, the i7 i got was £130 for the CPU whilst you can pick up AMD machines for cheaper i just made the switch to intel with the i7 and find it much more stable temp wise when under heavy load than any of my AMD's were. all the reviews i read leant heavily in favour of the i5/i7 so i went with the i7 and i havent regretted it yet.

Fair enough. Even under continual 100% load I get max of 45 degrees, stock speed and fan.

My machine was built to run high end games and it does just that so I'm happy :D

I have been playing computer games for over 2/3rds of my life.. and I'm not even 19...

I don't know why but I just like computers, everything about them really...

*NERD*

Windows takes about 12 seconds to boot up with the ssd on my pc. Loading and saving is also quicker.

I wish I knew more about computers and all the technical talk. At least then I could get a job that does not involve heavy lifting lol.

It's really sad that I know how an SSD works... :(

This about sums it up:

code-problems-600x412.jpg

I am getting convinced.. Also do I have to do a clean install of windows or what if I install an SSD or can I leave it somehow on my old RAID setup?

I was looking at getting a laptop built for me.

i7 Dual Core, 2.70gHz, 4MB cache

8Gb DDR3 Ram

750Gb HD, (7,200rpm spin) for £715

Any good?

The dream is

i7 Quad Core, 2.30 gHz, 8MB cache

8GB DDR3 Ram

320Gb HD (7,200rpm spin)

for £989

Archived