Real Life Career Updates?

calcal

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
when you sell a player how often do you sell them to a club in your division?

since 19/20 (currently in 31/32)

19 players sold to english clubs

51 players sold abroad

I sell to whoever offers me the most money. It never bothered me before but now if a club in a different divison/nation offers the same amount as someone in the same division as me, I do pay more attention.

Currently I try and off load players to clubs in the same division as I am trying to raise the Icelandic rep. I also try and avoid clubs who play in the CL so I don't have to play against my players again

I don't like managing in England either. Probably has something to do with the fact that everyone manages that and I want to be 'different'. Also hate work permits and I can't sign Canadians on lower league clubs because of it.

I also hate Scotland, but that's because of the quality of football there. And players kept moaning about wanting to leave there. :p

Don't get me wrong, I'd like to try some other countries more often but England just seems more 'real' to me. I watch English football week-in, week-out, and I know it inside-out.

When I play the English leagues on FM, I just feel much more immersed in the game. I've been to a fair few of the football grounds, for example, or I've seen quite a few of the players play (I'm talking specifically about Non-League football here) so to call it all into my imagination is so easy.

I do like going to other countries on FM though. Normally after I have been on holiday there or read about the football history of that country. I'm quite Euro-centric though. I guess, ultimately, I quite like to stick to the football I know best.

I don't feel immersed managing in MLS...it's always out of date and unrealistic in FM. SI screws something up every year and don't fix old bugs. I hated the preference for England because before the ability the add more leagues was introduced, that people wanted another level of England football but nothing about fixing MLS or adding the USL and PDL leagues (it's still a pain with the editor now. It has its issues and newgens need a lot of work. Jason can probably understand my problems with the editor in activating the NASL/USL and the PDL). I understand there's probably a *slight* bias to England and Europe but we have a market here too to like FM. We even had our own game (WWSM) for a while... They never put the MLS in the demo so MLS fans like myself can't test it. But I think we have a coder specifically for MLS according to the North American HR so hopefully it'll be better in FM12. I barely managed in MLS in FM11 because it's so buggy. And also not the fault of SI but when we play the new version in October/November it's already in the playoffs. By the time the last patch comes in February we're already in pre-season, with updated rosters but the license is for the previous season.

I also like to manage in Asia in every career game. It's a lot of fun there. I personally like to manage in obscure nations, learning something new. Each to their own I guess. I personally won't be completely satisfied with my FM saves unless MLS is fixed and I can enjoy managing in MLS.

I don't like managing in England either. Probably has something to do with the fact that everyone manages that and I want to be 'different'. Also hate work permits and I can't sign Canadians on lower league clubs because of it.

I also hate Scotland, but that's because of the quality of football there. And players kept moaning about wanting to leave there. :p

I don't feel immersed managing in MLS...it's always out of date and unrealistic in FM. SI screws something up every year and don't fix old bugs. I hated the preference for England because before the ability the add more leagues was introduced, that people wanted another level of England football but nothing about fixing MLS or adding the USL and PDL leagues (it's still a pain with the editor now. It has its issues and newgens need a lot of work. Jason can probably understand my problems with the editor in activating the NASL/USL and the PDL). I understand there's probably a *slight* bias to England and Europe but we have a market here too to like FM. We even had our own game (WWSM) for a while... They never put the MLS in the demo so MLS fans like myself can't test it. But I think we have a coder specifically for MLS according to the North American HR so hopefully it'll be better in FM12. I barely managed in MLS in FM11 because it's so buggy. And also not the fault of SI but when we play the new version in October/November it's already in the playoffs. By the time the last patch comes in February we're already in pre-season, with updated rosters but the license is for the previous season.

I also like to manage in Asia in every career game. It's a lot of fun there. I personally like to manage in obscure nations, learning something new. Each to their own I guess. I personally won't be completely satisfied with my FM saves unless MLS is fixed and I can enjoy managing in MLS.

The MLS annoyed me I took the LA job on my save and signed Ozil to a normal contract not a DP one. I holidayed to the next match and he was released, I also signed a 325k American player and he was also released. I like to holiday between matches so in the end I went back to an earlier save from before I took the job, players being released whilst on holiday is a major bug that put me off playing there.

The MLS annoyed me I took the LA job on my save and signed Ozil to a normal contract not a DP one. I holidayed to the next match and he was released, I also signed a 325k American player and he was also released. I like to holiday between matches so in the end I went back to an earlier save from before I took the job, players being released whilst on holiday is a major bug that put me off playing there.

This one seems interesting though. I'm testing it out right now. It's still WIP though.

It looks very good,let me know how it goes I have always wanted to have a go in the MLS but it always seems too buggy to play.

Will do AcidBurn...although I'm more interested in the other leagues, specifically the NCAA, and if it actually works.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmmmn. Thinking of starting a new FM save and I'm fancying a return to Italy where I did have a fun save going (calcio journeyman) but loaded too many leagues.

This time, I want it to be a one club, small club to big club, kind of save. But I've no idea who to be! Can I get some suggestions from my fellow FMCUers?

I'm kind of tempted to go for any of the following:

- Hellas Verona (I love this club and have unfinished business with them but trouble is they are at C1 level and ideally I would like to start in the bottom league).

- Venezia (Really like the idea of waiting for them to be promoted from Serie D and then taking them over. Only thing putting me off is their yucky colours - black with orange and green, blurgh! Could I maybe get used to them though?)

- Pisa (Again, like the idea of them coming up from Serie D and then taking over a big club that has fallen on hard times. Not feeling too keen on them though for some reason).

- Messina (Another fallen giant type of thing but plenty of others have managed this team already. SnakeXe had a legendary save with them so it puts me off. And, to be honest, I'd prefer a team in the north really).

- Spezia (Look like they could be quite a good club to take over at Serie C2 level but I don't really know anything about them).

- Lucchese (Another decent looking C2 level side. Not keen on the club colours though for some reason).

- Savona (Pretty cool looking Serie D side who I could take over if they came up. I remember Iacovone had an awesome save with them. Definitely tempted by this team).

That's about it off the top of my head. Any help please FMCUers? :D

i haate this time of the season as it always makes me want to start at the bottom and work my way up but if i do that ill lose intrest in the sunderland game im enjoying so much still having a bit of a struggle trying to decide new save or current gah.

What about San Marino in C2 Crouchy? maybe throw in the San Marinese leagues with an editor file and try to take on the national team at some point too?

Other than that you could always look in the editor forum for an italian lower leagues file and... Castel di sangro? or perhaps one of the former italian champions who have fallen a long way such as Casale or Novese, or if you prefer no extra files theres always Pro Vercelli I guess.

I'd also say Pro Vercelli C. A massive fallen giant in Italian football; i'm actually tempted to try a save with those myself. Or if it's a club from your list, i'd go with daf and say Pisa...i'm sure you could come up with a witty, pun for a title with Pisa and their tower :D.

ok i need a hand on team suggestion decided im going to run two managers in my current save, my current sunderland one as im enjoying it too much and also a new one (name undecided) i wont be running a thread for it but will include a little thing in the yearly sunderland update my choices are:

Crawley - bounced between LEague Two and The conference have finally established themselves in league two this season and were safe from relegations with 5 games to go

Yeovil - Recently relegated to League two after finishing second bottom of League one, have spent the majority of thier years in league two

Hartlepool - Losing LEague Two play-off hopefulls from this season only been as high as League one

Newly promoted side from the conference (dont know who these are yet as dont have conference loaded)

come on the great memebers of the careers thread, pick a team for me :) will be back on between 8 and 9 to add the new manager to this

Well...not Yeovil (nothing to do with them beating us in the League One playoffs a few years ago! ;)). I'd say Hartlepool but that's only because Jeff Stelling is a fan and it'd be an excuse to play this game! :D :D

I'd go for Pisa, just because I like their logo/colours/kits.

Cheers Dafuge.

I'm tempted by Pisa but I'm just not sure I'm feeling it with them. Don't know why though!

What about San Marino in C2 Crouchy? maybe throw in the San Marinese leagues with an editor file and try to take on the national team at some point too?

Other than that you could always look in the editor forum for an italian lower leagues file and... Castel di sangro? or perhaps one of the former italian champions who have fallen a long way such as Casale or Novese, or if you prefer no extra files theres always Pro Vercelli I guess.

Thanks for the suggestions Valin.

I'm not really up for doing a San Marino save. The editor idea is a good one though but I have been under the impression in the past that it is very difficult to come up with an accurate representation of the Italian lower leagues with the editor, so this has always put me off.

I'd also say Pro Vercelli C. A massive fallen giant in Italian football; i'm actually tempted to try a save with those myself. Or if it's a club from your list, i'd go with daf and say Pisa...i'm sure you could come up with a witty, pun for a title with Pisa and their tower :D.

Thanks for the suggestion Raware. I'll take a look at Pro Vercelli. I know they won a lot of titles in the 1920s but that's about all I know.

I should explain that I am trying to recreate a save that I had back on CM03/04. On that edition, I took over Cremonese when they were in Serie C2 and ended up taking them back to Serie A and romping home to the title. I built a really good team too.

I really fancied finding a 'fallen giant' type of team - or maybe fallen giant isn't the right term, but a big team - who have fallen on harder times.

I actually really want to manage Hellas Verona pretty badly but I have this thing about always starting at the lowest possible level. :D

As for Pisa, I'm leaning more towards Venezia than Pisa. Or maybe Savona. I don't know! Decisions, decisions! :p

Didn't you play as Hellas Verona on a previous save C.? I agree that if it's a big'ish' club that have fallen on harder times that you want, the obvious choices are Venezia as Makonnen said or Pro Vercelli. Avellino were a decent Serie A side in the 80's if I remember correctly but I wouldn't say, fallen giants. How about Treviso? They were recently a Serie A side but I think they went bankrupt after their involvement in match fixing. You'd obviously have to wait until they were promoted to Serie C2.

I don't feel immersed managing in MLS...it's always out of date and unrealistic in FM. SI screws something up every year and don't fix old bugs. I hated the preference for England because before the ability the add more leagues was introduced, that people wanted another level of England football but nothing about fixing MLS or adding the USL and PDL leagues (it's still a pain with the editor now. It has its issues and newgens need a lot of work. Jason can probably understand my problems with the editor in activating the NASL/USL and the PDL).

Especially since the editor has the PDL right underneath MLS, and won't let you slide NASL/USL Pro in between. :thdn:

Didn't you play as Hellas Verona on a previous save C.? I agree that if it's a big'ish' club that have fallen on harder times that you want, the obvious choices are Venezia as Makonnen said or Pro Vercelli. Avellino were a decent Serie A side in the 80's if I remember correctly but I wouldn't say, fallen giants. How about Treviso? They were recently a Serie A side but I think they went bankrupt after their involvement in match fixing. You'd obviously have to wait until they were promoted to Serie C2.

I did play as Hellas Verona on my calcio save. I was tempted to go back there as I have unfinished business trying to recreate the miracle of 1985! :D

But..... I have reached a different conclusion.........

Download an Italian league database and try to recreate The Miracle.

If there is a decent database available.

I'm not sure that there is a good enough database available. From what I've read, it's almost impossible to make things accurate using the editor as it stands. Otherwise, this would be on my list, for sure. I love that book! :cool:

As it is, I've made a decision. I'm going to....... Venezia!

Thanks for all of the suggestions guys. :thup:

On that subject, does anyone know where I can get a decent set of club and competition logos for Italy?

I just realised the pack that I have has an outdated logo for Venezia and no competition logos for Italy at all.

Are the FM11 packs compatible with FM10? I imagine they probably are, aren't they? I'm still playing FM10.

I prefer to use the normal looking logos btw. Thanks for any help in advance. :thup:

Crouchy, if I may. I know you've already chosen Venezia, but this is what I would have said :p

My thoughts (as you asked ;)):

Verona - no - you've been there and done it.

Venezia - no - rlipscombe has been there and done it and kit is wrong, and they're not a real small club with great facilities!

Pisa - no - think rlipscombe has been there as well :D. Either way, they don't do much for me.

Messina - possibly - another fallen 'giant' if I can use that to describe them. I wouldn't go there due to the red kit but I doubt that would put you off. A 'maybe' in my book.

Spezia - yes - here's an interesting option. No-one I can recall has done anything spectacular with them so you could be one of the first. I also know little about them but sometimes that is the intrigue with picking a club!

Lucchese - maybe - agree on the kit, something a bit different. Also an unknown quantity and would appeal to me. My 2nd choice on the list.

Savona - no - as much as I'd love to see them rise once more, it'd hurt to see someone else take them to the heights I once did! Plus you'll never top my achievements ;)

Hope that helps in your quest to find an Italian outfit!

Italy 2010/11

These are the ones I'm using. The forums have loads more but I think you need to sign up.

Thanks D, but I'm getting 'The file you are trying to access is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later.' :(

I tried the same link earlier today and it didn't work properly then either.

Any chance of you uploading them for me! I know it's a bit cheeky to ask but that would be excellent. ;)

Crouchy, if I may. I know you've already chosen Venezia, but this is what I would have said

My thoughts (as you asked):

Verona - no - you've been there and done it.

Well, I took them back to Serie A but didn't finish the job off.

Venezia - no - rlipscombe has been there and done it and kit is wrong, and they're not a real small club with great facilities!

How far did Rlipscombe take them? Did he win everything with them?

What's wrong with the kit btw?

Their facilities aren't that good either!

Spezia - yes - here's an interesting option. No-one I can recall has done anything spectacular with them so you could be one of the first. I also know little about them but sometimes that is the intrigue with picking a club!

Ah, not too sure about the kit though. White and black is a bit boring, no? ;)

Savona - no - as much as I'd love to see them rise once more, it'd hurt to see someone else take them to the heights I once did! Plus you'll never top my achievements ;)

Yeah, I thought you might feel like that. :p

Hope that helps in your quest to find an Italian outfit!

Sort of but actually not much at all. :D

I'm struggling to find a logo pack with the right club logo for Venezia at the moment so might have to reconsider. Daf's one might do the job though!

I've got a kind of OCD thing about picking teams, you may have noticed!

Iacovone, I shouldn't ever doubt your remarkable ability to pick a decent club to manage. ;)

After doing a bit of reading about Spezia (who are in Serie C2/A), I've decided to go with them.

They have an interesting quirk: they won an unofficial Italian championship title in 1944 during World War II with Vittorio Pozzo as coach and Silvio Piola as striker. It was not declared as official at the time but, in 2002, the scudetto for Spezia was awarded as a 'decoration'. The club remembers the 1944 triumph by playing with a tricolour badge on the team's official jersey (but different from the Scudetto). The challenge, of course, is to win them their first official Scudetto!

The other thing I like about them is the number of decent rivals they have, which should keep the interest as I (hopefully) go up the leagues. In the lower leagues, they have the likes of Pisa, Lucchese, Livorno, Carrarese etc. In Serie A, they are rivals with Genoa, which could become interesting if I can take them to the top division.

They have a pretty cool club crest as well:

100px-Spezia_1906_logo.svg.png

So, I've found my club, I think. Thanks to all who offered advice. :thup:

I'll be playing on FM10. Not sure if I will do a career thread but if I get into the save then I'll most likely start one. Fingers crossed. :)

This one seems interesting though. I'm testing it out right now. It's still WIP though.

This one crashed at the end of the first season. Although I did load Canada and the US so not sure if the Canada one made it crash. But I tried the US one only without loading anything else for a few seasons and it was fine.

I think I'm going to have one more shot at FM11, and then stop playing till FM12, because these crash dumps are driving me crazy. :(

I think I'm going to have one more shot at FM11, and then stop playing till FM12, because these crash dumps are driving me crazy. :(

Sorry to hear that rancer :( Are you experiencing crash dumps regularly then? I've only experienced a handful but i'm only patched up to 11.2.1, not sure if that has anything to do with it.

I'm making this post into two posts due to the number of images involved.......

Well, I was all set to go with Spezia, for reasons outlined above, but I just wasn't feeling it with them. I think I'm going to go back to my first idea of starting with Venezia. I'm desperate to have an epic save in Italy like SnakeXe's with Messina! I really like the idea of taking over Venezia, especially as I found out that they are one of the only Italian clubs to have an English style Supporters Trust.

Anyway, the problem I have is that I don't have an up-to-date logo for them. So this is where I am humbly requesting the help of the FMCU people. :o

So far, I have these:

1179.png

1179s.png

Which are perfect. When it comes to making the background left and background right thingys though, I'm totally baffled. It's beyond my computer expertise! :o

I found that someone had made this:

1179b.png

But that doesn't seem to be right. :confused:

I found these instructions on the Skinning forum - http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/158017-Guide-How-to-Create-Standard-FM2010-Logos - but it's way over my head. I don't know how to do it.

Could anyone help me with getting the transparent right and left logos? I'd really appreciate any help. :)

Sorry to hear that rancer :( Are you experiencing crash dumps regularly then? I've only experienced a handful but i'm only patched up to 11.2.1, not sure if that has anything to do with it.

I'm experiencing crash dumps on specific dates, and I can't even holiday past them. Really annoying. :(

And crouchy, you probably need photoshop to make those transparent logos.

After all that with the logos, I've loaded up the Venezia save and been playing it a bit this evening, and I'm just not feeling it again. :o

Maybe I should abandon my 'always start in the lowest league' rule and just start with Hellas in C1! I do really want to do the chasing a repeat of the 1985 miracle, especially since I read about it again in The Blizzard!

I would go back to my calcio journeyman game and continue where I left off there but the pace was too slow on that save due to too many leagues loaded for my poor old laptop.

Don't know what's wrong with me at the moment. I can't seem to get into a save. I know I want an Italian adventure but I can't seem to decide which team! :rolleyes:

Archived