Real Life Career Updates?

calcal

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another Question!!

Would anyone be interested in a Fantasy Football League for this forum?? I would make the thread but not sure if it is evan allowed here? Mods that latter part. I know it isn't a career but it could be made a stickie. It's anice community bonding thing really. GD and OTF have them now and I was wondering whether w should have one.

Anyone want this??

http://fantasy.premierleague.com/

Alright then tbh I didnt think it would happen anyway
I don't think it's an unreasonable idea, FMS, GD, CSE and the Football Forum all have their own separate one.
True I suppose Already there 30+ Threads on here, enough to start one
I don't see any harm in it, you can join 15 private leagues I think so we may as well have 1 more to join.

Guys this forum is what a month old or so, lets just focuss on the forum this season. Next season we can have one.

You could easely join in those other forums. :) I did the same.

I would really enjoy making one of these updates threads. I'm new to Football Manager, i bought Football Manager 2008 last year and loved it and have only recently bought this years game. I might start one later tonight, it will be with my home team so i have no chance of losing motivation and quitting it early.

Here is a download link

Basically it lets you take screenshots in a number of different ways, which are:

Multiple this will take a screenshot of the Active Window, the Full Screen and the Window under Cursor (I don't know what this one means)

Area this allows you to take a screenshot of an area of your active window (below the Screenshot Pilto window), for an example of this check my Fat Brazilian thread and look at the screenshots I take for the fixtures played each month.

Object this is a strange one. Once you've pressed Start Capture (or F11 on your keyboard) you then move your mouse around the screen and click on the object you want to take a screenshot of.

Active Window this takes a screenshot of the active window, below Screenshot Pilot.

Screen this takes a screenshot of the whole screen.

Client this takes a screenshot of the active client, below Screenshot Pilot.

Window Under Cursor this Captures the window located under mouse cursor.

Menu Under Cursor this Captures the menu located under mouse cursor.

Can I just say to all here that I have begun rating threads. Basically if I view a thread I rate it. If others could do a similar thing it would be appreiciated i'm sure. It will be nice when new users come on a can see what threads have been voted the best basically.

It seems that careers in Britain are the ones most closely followed. Maybe that's to be expected though. I thought a save overseas might have been interesting to people, but I'm a little disappointed with the lack of feedback (especially as I won the cup in the first year! :cool:). Or maybe that's down to my style/content! LOL.

With that in mind I may change the layout of my thread to see if it's more appealing. Either that or keep that save as a personal game (I'm enjoying playing it).

The reason for me thinking on this is I'm getting a new laptop this week and I have in mind a British save to play on that, as well as my Brazilian one on the desktop - but I'd only update one thread. And with British threads being most popular it just makes sense to make it that one.

Lastly, a well done to everyone here for the work (even though it's enjoyable) they put in on their threads. The community/forum is gaining a nice momentum without being overrun.

Good luck on your saves :thup:

That is quite a true statement. GBR threads are probably more popular because people can relate with players etc. Although some (like Raware's) is probably due to the time and effort put into it.

btw I'm not getting to many comments on mine.

It seems that careers in Britain are the ones most closely followed. Maybe that's to be expected though. I thought a save overseas might have been interesting to people, but I'm a little disappointed with the lack of feedback (especially as I won the cup in the first year! :cool:). Or maybe that's down to my style/content! LOL.

With that in mind I may change the layout of my thread to see if it's more appealing. Either that or keep that save as a personal game (I'm enjoying playing it).

The reason for me thinking on this is I'm getting a new laptop this week and I have in mind a British save to play on that, as well as my Brazilian one on the desktop - but I'd only update one thread. And with British threads being most popular it just makes sense to make it that one.

Lastly, a well done to everyone here for the work (even though it's enjoyable) they put in on their threads. The community/forum is gaining a nice momentum without being overrun.

Good luck on your saves :thup:

I actually enjoy following the foreign threads. Like your's...i've never played in Brazil and am 'a little' unfamiliar with the set up there. Reading your's gives me more insight into that league and certainly gives me motivation for maybe starting a game in Brazil on FM10.

That is quite a true statement. GBR threads are probably more popular because people can relate with players etc. Although some (like Raware's) is probably due to the time and effort put into it.

btw I'm not getting to many comments on mine.

I'm actually thinking of changing my update style as a few people now have said that it doesn't offer enough information about my game. I thought it did, but from some responses it obviously doesn't. Not sure yet.

Now, don't get me wrong, I know reloading to win is wrong, however I want to know if it is 'alright' so to speak in this instance. I beat Rangers 2-1 (again, 10-3! :D) on the last day of the season, however FM stopped working. No crash, just stopped working and had to close. Really p*ssed off about this as it could've meant a higher spot. So, is it classed as cheating in this case? I'm not sure if I plan to do it or no.

Now, don't get me wrong, I know reloading to win is wrong, however I want to know if it is 'alright' so to speak in this instance. I beat Rangers 2-1 (again, 10-3!) on the last day of the season, however FM stopped working. No crash, just stopped working and had to close. Really p*ssed off about this as it could've meant a higher spot. So, is it classed as cheating in this case? I'm not sure if I plan to do it or no.

It is never okay to reload! Never! :mad:

Quite frankly, I'm shocked you'd even think of it. :eek: <--- see! ;)

It doesn't matter if you get a power cut, or a corrupt game, or whatever else befalls you, you must not reload.

Whatever games (and points) you lost have gone forever and, as far as I am concerned, you have to play them again and accept the result, even if you end up losing a game you won.

That's the proper way to deal with it. So now you know. :D

Obviously, I totally understand your frustration, but you must be strong!

The last time I got a corrupt save and lost some progress, I managed to turn a 1-0 loss against AFC Wimbledon into a 3-0 win and I felt extremely guilty. I almost replayed it for a loss but I remembered the code. The previous result had gone and I had to accept whatever I was given this time around. That's the end of it.

If you reload, you'll potentially ruin your save because at the end of the season you'll be thinking about those points that you shouldn't (or should) have had if you had been honest and played on. Trust me. Don't do it!

Regards

C.

It is never okay to reload! Never! :mad:

Quite frankly, I'm shocked you'd even think of it. :eek: <--- see! ;)

It doesn't matter if you get a power cut, or a corrupt game, or whatever else befalls you, you must not reload.

Whatever games (and points) you lost have gone forever and, as far as I am concerned, you have to play them again and accept the result, even if you end up losing a game you won.

That's the proper way to deal with it. So now you know. :D

Obviously, I totally understand your frustration, but you must be strong!

The last time I got a corrupt save and lost some progress, I managed to turn a 1-0 loss against AFC Wimbledon into a 3-0 win and I felt extremely guilty. I almost replayed it for a loss but I remembered the code. The previous result had gone and I had to accept whatever I was given this time around. That's the end of it.

If you reload, you'll potentially ruin your save because at the end of the season you'll be thinking about those points that you shouldn't (or should) have had if you had been honest and played on. Trust me. Don't do it!

Regards

C.

I don't think I've ever been in the situation where I've lost games and needed to reload, but I think if it happened to me in a playoff final and it turned a win into a loss, I'd be reloading.

I know off topic is discouraged and certain people have 'views' about this forum being a place of 'backslapping and well done's' (which is not at all what this forum is about), and i more than anybody are not bothered about post views/counts, (i've been a member of these boards for 5 years and only have 770 posts so that says something) but can i just say thanks to the people who have voted on my thread :thup: It's nice to know that people enjoy reading about my experiences on FM and enjoy the way i portray that in my updates. :thup:

So where do I post if I want to post a career game (starting unemployed to whatever) but told as a story rather then bullet point updates or whatever?

If it includes characters & storyline like a novel the FMS forum.

If its a general update to tell everyone about your save in here although I think some of the threads in FMS are in a diary style.

If it includes characters & storyline like a novel the FMS forum.

If its a general update to tell everyone about your save in here although I think some of the threads in FMS are in a diary style.

Perfect answer, thanks. It'll be an update of the game, but expanded more then just a bullet points like a diary, so I'll post it in here.

EDIT: Actually, what I'm thinking of seems to flicker between the two, so I'll just post it stories since its following the manager throughout his career told as if an Autobiography.

I know off topic is discouraged and certain people have 'views' about this forum being a place of 'backslapping and well done's' (which is not at all what this forum is about), and i more than anybody are not bothered about post views/counts, (i've been a member of these boards for 5 years and only have 770 posts so that says something) but can i just say thanks to the people who have voted on my thread :thup: It's nice to know that people enjoy reading about my experiences on FM and enjoy the way i portray that in my updates. :thup:

I just noticed that your thread is the first to appear with a rating. Well deserved imo for the effort you've put in. :thup:

Is there going to be any firm guidelines drawn up for whether something should be in here or FMS?

About 20% of the threads in here (at a guess, I haven't read every single thread) are basically just stories shoved into a program that turns them into a newspaper and a print screen posted. Currently, as the only criteria we have are "no images and detail", we get cases like this.

IMO, we should have criteria like these:

1. If images are deemed essential to the progress of the thread, or screenshots are going to be linked to regularly, it's a career.

2. If the updates are more than just facts, it's a story. It doesn't need a multi-layered, Bafta winning plot (there seems to be a perception that all stories in FMS are publishable! Most don't even have a "storyline") but it does need to have flesh. Threads like Cougar's would be accepted happily in FMS- in fact, I think Cougar would have a chance of the "Best International Management Story" award if he had posted it in FMS.

Archived