Project Yuka & Other New Project (Soft Launch ahead of World Cup)

Hi All

I was really interested to see Miles on twitter talking about two upcoming projects that SI are working on.

One called "Project Yuka" and another being referenced as being Soft Launched ahead of the World Cup.

I see that these two new projects were talked about after an update about Football Manager Online, no longer being worked on by SI, so wondered if these two new projects may well be some form of MMO mode for Football Manager, or just pure coincidence

Also would be nice to know more about the two projects specifically, or when we might hear more

Many thanks

At a complete guess, due to the timing of the world cup, I would expect something along the lines of a World Cup mode where you just pick a nation and maybe you manage from the qualifiers all the way to the finals, or just the finals. Something akin to the FIFA world cup game that get thrown out every four years but FM style. 

The quote on twitter from Miles was as per below... interestingly posted after the announcement that SI are no longer working on Football Manager Online that was released in South Korea/China

Miles Tweet - was as per below

....and some have started work on a new project at the studio which has a codename of "Project Yuka". And another new project which doesn't have a name yet, but should hopefully be soft launched in time for the World Cup!

And again, when they have something more to say about it - officially at least - they will.  Miles' account can't be considered official, and he's just talking about something SI are doing.  If they wanted to go into any more detail they would, and likely will at a later date.  No-one outside of SI knows any more than that.

True it can't be considered an official account of SI and everyone should know that who follows Miles, as he makes that fundamentally clear on his profile

However, that same profile was used to outline their plans to not work on a title anymore and mention the two new projects.

Two new projects from SI personally could be of interest to the SI community and I look forward to hearing more, when they deem it fit to share that information

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators

We're not really ready to announce anything further in regards to what Miles hinted at previously, but I can confirm that Football Manager Touch on Switch was unrelated to his tweet on February 2nd. 

But no more from me on that! :ackter: 

According to the tweets, the involvement with the online game in Asia as outlined has indeed also been cancelled. I've always wondered what the reception of that was like  -- I don't think the main core football engine has ever been that great for competitive multiplayer [online on FM I'd always only play people I know for a host of reasons]. However, the main project seems to be on the rise in China in particular anyway (gotta set priorities). In particular considering that there seems "exponential growth" despite zero advertising (and, if you will, much marketing costs).

https://www.mcvuk.com/business/publishing-reinvented-how-sega-europe-had-its-best-year-yet

Will be interesting to see what happens to Germany this year, considering that it's been traditionally the 2nd biggest market worldwide for management games. However, CM/FM have always had a pretty rough time there in years when it was still released, also for a host of reasons. Some of them even relate to game design inherent decisions -- Germany's most popular management games were more of the "Total Club Management" ilk. Should be some easier though, no less as there hasn't been a new major release there since late 2013ish...

Edited by Svenc

For all that FML is hailed as the best thing that has ever happened (ever) after its death, I'm not sure there is a formula that would make this kind of game work in an MMO environment long-term.  Don't get me wrong, when FML was around, I enjoyed it.  I was part of more gameworlds than I'd care to admit, and modded in a couple.  But once it died and you can take a step back and look at it, it was incredibly flawed outwith the first week or so of a new gameworld.  Once that was over, the sand was running out of the hourglass, ticking inexorably down to when the place flat-lined.

By all accounts, FMO was a slightly different beast, but it's no surprise that interest has cooled in that too.  It was never going to make its way here, no matter how much people wanted it.  And I very much doubt we'll ever see something similar to FML get released by SI.  If I'm wrong, then I just hope they've learnt the lessons and don't make the same mistakes.

• 1 month later...

Hi SI

Any news/updates on the project due to be soft launched before the world cup.

Interested to hear about it when the time is right, but is that timescale still likely?

3 minutes ago, zakbrown96 said:

With the world Cup only days away guess this has been delayed be nice to be told mind. 

He tweeted yesterday:

"If I was drunk right now I'd be revealing something I love that we're releasing next week. But I'm not. So I won't. P.S. It's not a game. But @footballmanager will still have all the details when they're ready."

2 hours ago, Spurs08 said:

He tweeted yesterday:

"If I was drunk right now I'd be revealing something I love that we're releasing next week. But I'm not. So I won't. P.S. It's not a game. But @footballmanager will still have all the details when they're ready."

I didn't see that that's great to know fair play 

• 1 year later...