How would you train this player? Also Libero discussion!

So, I've just received the best regen I've ever had, been playing the game since 2010.

I have a kind of obsession with making a Libero-Attack tactic work, even though I've never really been able to get one going, I've tried often. But I usually give up after a few weeks. The game is finally ready for one the last two years I think, but I still haven't made it work.

So given this player, I think I finally have the perfect Libero-Attack to develop the tactic team around in 2-3 years. A 15-year old 6' 4" playmaker, professional personality, already has 10 marking and tackling.

A few questions:

Am I seeing this right? Does making him a Libero make sense?

If not, what should I do with him? I want him to learn DM as well so he can move between DM/CM/AM as I'd see fit (my club DNA is built on versatile, intelligent, technical players)

Has anyone made a tactic based on an attacking Libero work? What other things should I be aware of to balance it properly?

Screen Shot 2018-02-13 at 1.15.10 PM.png

Don't just think of an attacking Libero as a defender who can pass and run a bit.  Athleticism is key.  Think of someone such as Pogba or perhaps Emre Can for example (remember we're talking FM here, not real life).

In terms of tactics, if you want a Libero moving up to influence the opposition half or even the final third, don't have any blocks in the way - give him a free channel to run through.

He's actually quite well rounded with no major weaknesses so if it were me in charge I'd put him on role training (in your case Libero) and 4-month cycle individual focus his strengthheading and agility. Those three are areas I see where he does need to improve to be more effective as a defender and to an extent as an attacker too.

I had a so so experience with a libero attack, my set up was this,

Lib a

cd d

cd d

HB d /Anch d

Rw a

cm a

cm s hold position

Lw a

am a

cf a

Now, it was so so because sometimes it worked and sometimes not, however someone on here set up a similar tactic but set the Lib to SUPPORT and the two cb's to STOPPER. now this was far more effective the LIB still came forwards but on defense it was far more secure. The STOPPERS maintained a higher line which seemed to flow with the HB and then allowing the LIB moving forwards.

Thanks! That's an interesting setup.

I found some great information at these links too, lots of discussion of theory and Libero based super-systems:

https://community.sigames.com/topic/390937-fm-17-if-you’re-not-first-you’re-last-redux-–-redemption-for-the-“nearly-men”-of-europe/?page=60 Scroll down maybe 10 or so posts, you'll see the formation image. It's a Libero-Attack on overload! Also with a counter variant.

https://strikerless.com/2017/06/06/taking-hipster-football-from-six-to-midnight/ Same formation, article type explanation, although here he uses inverted wingbacks, above fullbacks

https://fmasymmetric.wordpress.com/2016/12/03/the-libero-part-i-a-total-defending-approach/#more-264 One of the foundations for the links above.

https://fmasymmetric.wordpress.com/2017/01/10/sparta-a-tactical-identity-journey-part-v-libero-rewind/ Follow up to that article, using a more ordinary squad.

The system B in the link above makes me think a lot about this article as well: https://spielverlagerung.com/2015/12/06/the-3-6-1-a-logical-step/

https://strikerless.com/2016/12/31/project-libero-the-tactic/ Another great piece, also a foundation for the overload system above.

I'm a lot more confident that I can pull this off now.

30 minutes ago, Joey Numbaz said:

I edited the topic name as the discussion has morphed a little into Libero discussion.

Tbh finding players who are natural in the Libero role, and training a player to be one is EXTREMELY difficult.

The game won't play him as a Libero yet (I guess my instructions to use the lineups I set do not matter if the player isn't at least yellow at the position - found that out in the U18 intrasquad game), but one helluva debut for Mr. Preston in the semi-final of the U18 Youth Cup!

We were down 3-0 in the 75' when he assisted with a flick on off a corner.

Five minutes later, on another corner, he strikes a majesterial laser from the top of the box in to the top right corner of the goal.

Then on 87', he takes a cross right in front of the goal, catches it with his foot, lifts the ball in the air and volleys it in from point blank range!

Man, this is going to be a fun player.

As far as training I'm starting with Libero, and working off the ball. I'm also going for the PPM of Arrives Late In Opponents' Area. I figure Brings Ball Out of Defense won't work until he's actually trained as a Libero.

Screen Shot 2018-02-15 at 2.03.53 PM.png

On 2/14/2018 at 03:20, Joey Numbaz said:

So, I've just received the best regen I've ever had, been playing the game since 2010.

I have a kind of obsession with making a Libero-Attack tactic work, even though I've never really been able to get one going, I've tried often. But I usually give up after a few weeks. The game is finally ready for one the last two years I think, but I still haven't made it work.

So given this player, I think I finally have the perfect Libero-Attack to develop the tactic team around in 2-3 years. A 15-year old 6' 4" playmaker, professional personality, already has 10 marking and tackling.

A few questions:

Am I seeing this right? Does making him a Libero make sense?

If not, what should I do with him? I want him to learn DM as well so he can move between DM/CM/AM as I'd see fit (my club DNA is built on versatile, intelligent, technical players)

Has anyone made a tactic based on an attacking Libero work? What other things should I be aware of to balance it properly?

Screen Shot 2018-02-13 at 1.15.10 PM.png

why not Sergej Milinkovic-Savic ?

1 hour ago, kpsia518 said:

why not Sergej Milinkovic-Savic ?

Yes, he looks like he'd be a great Libero. He's costing £34-£48 million right now and would be the highest paid player on my team at £120-£170 per week.

Maybe they'd take Rooney in a trade :-)

5a862492442a3_ScreenShot2018-02-15at7_23_35PM.thumb.png.dccbe736c4a5fddc5fd42096fa90fceb.png

I couldn't resist ... I got him into a Europa League game. Will this impact his development in a bad rushing him way? Or in a good, getting experience with the first team way?

My thinking was ... tired legs in the squad in a Europa round of 16 tie where we won 3-0 at home in the first leg, and were losing 1-0 away in the away leg at halftime.

Also, the game won't play him as a Libero yet in youth matches, so I figured I can do it in the game since I was coaching.

He played very well. 6.8 rating, and a *huge* tackle from behind without going to his feet, spinning and clearing the ball, in the box, running back the length of the field as the opponent got a counter going on a corner kick.

From a training perspective, do I have to keep playing him more now that he's gotten a taste or does that not matter?

I am really tempted to play him again in the FA Cup quarterfinal vs. Chelsea in 3 days!

You can force the U18s manager to play players in the positions you want by putting the players in the positions in the U18s Squad or Tactics screen, but it may depend on what you have set in your Staff Responsibilities.

I have my Assistant Manager manage my U18s and that works for me.

41 minutes ago, permanentquandary said:

You can force the U18s manager to play players in the positions you want by putting the players in the positions in the U18s Squad or Tactics screen, but it may depend on what you have set in your Staff Responsibilities.

I have my Assistant Manager manage my U18s and that works for me.

I do this too - I am religious about setting the U23 and U18 lineup for every game. But I've found that if the player is 'unrated' at the position (meaning no color "dot") the coach oftentimes just will not play him there. It slows down his learning the position. Eventually even without playing there, he'll get orange, then yellow. Typically once it's yellow the coach will play him. But it takes longer to get there without game experience.

I wonder if it was a position that showed up in the scouting report (i.e. "Could be retrained as a defensive midfielder") if the coach would play him without a yellow or light green dot?

At that point, might as well just play him yourself in the first team. I did the same to a regen LB I had in the Basque challenge last year. An injury bug at the back opened up a spot for him at 16.5 years old and he excelled and became the undisputed starter in that team. His development will be fine as he is also playing games which aids to his development...

On 2/16/2018 at 04:48, Joey Numbaz said:

Yes, he looks like he'd be a great Libero. He's costing £34-£48 million right now and would be the highest paid player on my team at £120-£170 per week.

Maybe they'd take Rooney in a trade :-)

i try to create a Libero 1441 tactic.
But look like Libero best for slow passing football,not for fast long ball game.

Archived