FM09: Official Manchester City Football Club Thread

coolbananas

Thanks for advice yeah I noticed Pirlo didnt want to come to me at start of season Ref Ireland should I sell Him ? I'm tempted but would Delfour or Witsel fit in where he plays ?

I have no money at mo I'm hoping I will get some by Jan or ill have to make do with what I have which is fine Ive got a strong squad now just need to build on it.

I would wait on selling him till the end of the season as you seem to be quite bare in that area of the park. When challenging for the title it is usually the quality of your back ups that determine how well you do rather than your first team...

On Robinho, he was great for me first season but was disappointing last season. His inconsistency is always a problem, on form he can win ANY game for you but I have also seen so many games where it says "Robinho will have felt he could have won this for Man City" when I get a bad result. I'm into my third season now and he's having his best run of consistent form yet. I'm playing a 4-4-2 formation and basically created an "ultra creative striker" position for one of my STs, the individual player instructions have given this position a free role and maximum creative freedom.

Robinho season 1: 45 starts, 20 goals, 5 assists

Robinho season 2: 19 starts, 5 goals, 5 assists

Robinho season 3 (so far): 14 starts, 6 goals, 8 assists

It's an improvement. I have Sergio Aguero as my preferred choise for that position and he has 3 starts, 6 goals so Robinho still isn't perfect.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks the--dud for explaining how to upload images.

I'll thought I'll show my team, formation and transfers using images.

Start of the 3rd season just about to play the Euro Super Cup against Liverpool and 2 games into the season. I have a few minor injuries, 2 away games and I have 1W1D0L. Won the Charity Shield.

Team & Formation

2eo8nfd.jpg

Transfers

6fcvsy.jpg

Just won the league and Lague cup in my first season with city.

EnglishPremierDivision-2.png

Lost in the FA cup final vs Liverpool 3:1 and the Euro cup final vs valencia which they won on penalties.

Currently im gonna need a new cb to replace dunne, a new MC to replace johnson an a new left back to reaplace insua

Into Jan in my first season.

Currently 10th i nthe league.

team

GK: hart

RB: Zabelete/Richards

CB: Dunne

CB: Kompany/Richards

LB: Garrido/Correa

MR: SWP

ML: Petrov/Young

MC: Diarra/Ireland

MC: Elano/Veloso

FC: Robinho/Jo

FC: Gomis/Hulk

Any ideas where I should look at strenghtening, and with who?

Into Jan in my first season.

Currently 10th i nthe league.

team

GK: hart

RB: Zabelete/Richards

CB: Dunne

CB: Kompany/Richards

LB: Garrido/Correa

MR: SWP

ML: Petrov/Young

MC: Diarra/Ireland

MC: Elano/Veloso

FC: Robinho/Jo

FC: Gomis/Hulk

Any ideas where I should look at strenghtening, and with who?

Man, i hope you didn't pay to much for them duff strikers :)

Just started a man city save and what looking at robinhos profile and noticed that im on his favoured personell list already, same with micheal johnson

andrea pirlo

stephen ireland

martin petrov

felipe caicedo

kelvin etuhu,

vincent kompany

benjani

nedum onuoha

kasper schmeichal

Ive only been here 5 mins its 27th august 2008 lol. As Big Phil would say 'i think they like me'

hey guys...........i got an awersome team...i use a ttfm 4141

awersome

i have

this mexican goalkepper from america mexico

srna...marcelo.....pirllo....diego....aguero...and yeh awersome

won the league unbeton woooooo

hey guys...........i got an awersome team...i use a ttfm 4141

awersome

i have

this mexican goalkepper from america mexico

srna...marcelo.....pirllo....diego....aguero...and yeh awersome

won the league unbeton woooooo

Very impressive to win the league unbeaten with just 6 players, congratulations

You can really see the joy in his post. Don't knock him. :D

Just started a man city save and what looking at robinhos profile and noticed that im on his favoured personell list already, same with micheal johnson

andrea pirlo

stephen ireland

martin petrov

felipe caicedo

kelvin etuhu,

vincent kompany

benjani

nedum onuoha

kasper schmeichal

Ive only been here 5 mins its 27th august 2008 lol. As Big Phil would say 'i think they like me'

How did you manage to make them like you like that? haha. generally my players only like me after ages managing them or i get them into the National Squad or something like that.

How did you manage to make them like you like that? haha. generally my players only like me after ages managing them or i get them into the National Squad or something like that.

same that happened to mne tooooooooooit was like andrea pirlo and it was so random coz some of them i hadnt played a game with lol

i second that with the 50% of my gate receipts going to pay for rent.... during the game, do man city ever get to keep the full gate receipts?!?!

secondly... all these people sending big money on players... i wanna no what you bank balance is like because, although on my game it might say £150 million to spend, lookin in my balance i only have £40?!?! are you all in the red?!?! - i hate going in the red, so i refuse to pay ridiculous amounts fora player..

get back to me on this..

i second that with the 50% of my gate receipts going to pay for rent.... during the game, do man city ever get to keep the full gate receipts?!?!

secondly... all these people sending big money on players... i wanna no what you bank balance is like because, although on my game it might say £150 million to spend, lookin in my balance i only have £40?!?! are you all in the red?!?! - i hate going in the red, so i refuse to pay ridiculous amounts fora player..

get back to me on this..

cos the chairman's a sugar daddy so every time you get close to £0 he'll put more money in

Im in november,sitting 7th in the league

Inler-£17 mil great signing

boruc £13mil good

zhirkov 13mil - 14 appearances,2 goals and a rating on 7.16.Pleased with his progress

The season started pretty well.Was out in front until October when injuries started hitting.Robinho has been my best player by a mile with 13 goals in 23 apps.Not sure where his best positon is though.

kk here goes guys

my team is simply awersome.....in...........12 players....

Defoe.

Glen Johnsion

Wayne Bridge

David James

Gareth Barry

Ashley Young

Diego

Lassana Diara

Cavenghi

And these 2 Brazilan Talents

and somene else just forgot......

payed so much money......but mi owner injected so much crap its not funny

anyways very unlucky.....first game llost away to villa 1-0 i have 12 chances...they had 2.....i have like 5 point blank range cut in pases(my wingers rarely cross) so disapointing...then drew to liverpool....had lions share....1-0 win to bolton/////2-0 loss to arsnal....BRidge injured...had to play Ball....omg selll him...SELL HIM....NO CLASS AND NO PACE.....LOST ME THE GAME...........anways going in a hot streak........but i aggrey with pavel.........kompany......just can fit in..........anwyas im thinking of getting bale in january---have 50m left.........and maybe selll cavenghi-he has been unimpress...and maybe buy chamak...btw play 4-1-41.........works well with weingers mrarely crossing...robinho excels cuting in ocroos the face of goal and literlay dripbbling it intio the gial....sold petrov and elano....sturridge...caiecedo...and evans out on lown for two years at reading...and onuho also on loan..........i highly recommend diara and gelson.........and jonhosn is very good...i think the first couple of games are hard on man city coz dunne is suspended but.....awlll....defoe very good........brillant goals...deigo and barry are must have......overall payed 150 for everyone and still have 300 wage so ima flyin...my main objective is at very least 5th...but would be disapointed not to get into cl...really want to attract a different cllass of player...soz for letting out my fury...........lol

kk here goes guys

my team is simply awersome.....in...........12 players....

Defoe.

Glen Johnsion

Wayne Bridge

David James

Gareth Barry

Ashley Young

Diego

Lassana Diara

Cavenghi

And these 2 Brazilan Talents

and somene else just forgot......

payed so much money......but mi owner injected so much crap its not funny

anyways very unlucky.....first game llost away to villa 1-0 i have 12 chances...they had 2.....i have like 5 point blank range cut in pases(my wingers rarely cross) so disapointing...then drew to liverpool....had lions share....1-0 win to bolton/////2-0 loss to arsnal....BRidge injured...had to play Ball....omg selll him...SELL HIM....NO CLASS AND NO PACE.....LOST ME THE GAME...........anways going in a hot streak........but i aggrey with pavel.........kompany......just can fit in..........anwyas im thinking of getting bale in january---have 50m left.........and maybe selll cavenghi-he has been unimpress...and maybe buy chamak...btw play 4-1-41.........works well with weingers mrarely crossing...robinho excels cuting in ocroos the face of goal and literlay dripbbling it intio the gial....sold petrov and elano....sturridge...caiecedo...and evans out on lown for two years at reading...and onuho also on loan..........i highly recommend diara and gelson.........and jonhosn is very good...i think the first couple of games are hard on man city coz dunne is suspended but.....awlll....defoe very good........brillant goals...deigo and barry are must have......overall payed 150 for everyone and still have 300 wage so ima flyin...my main objective is at very least 5th...but would be disapointed not to get into cl...really want to attract a different cllass of player...soz for letting out my fury...........lol

had no patience to read that drivle tbh...

could you try and write in sentances and paragraphs please?

oh i got downing for 17mil aswell

won both uefa ties 5-0 on agg and drew with boro 2-2 first game.

anyone signed a decent keeper?

I got a keeper from singapore ,.. lionel lewis .. reasonable stats

but sure hard to beat with glauber playing with him:cool:

Playing as City, I'm into my fourth season. First season I got 6th, then 4th, last season I won the Premiership! :D and this seasons going well, I'm first. Current "Games with no losses" streak is 33, and I just played United twice in a row, Premiership and League Cup matches both at home. 2-0 then 1-0!

I've got a very changed squad from the original now, as you all might expect. But I recently blew my budget wide open on Keirrison and Benzema (40mil and 70mil, heh. Thats all they'd come for!) Adler is my GK, still got Richards and Robinho, but most the other players are now replaced.

I have Aguero too, Guardado, Srna, Diarra, Rafinha, Sakha.

Good selection of players and they seem to be doing really well, although my backup keeper is causing a really big nightmare because hes not getting first team play (and hes not going too)

Edit:

Just lost 1-0 Vs Juventus away. Sigh. I hammered them 4-1 at home :(

Still, I qualified first anyway. (Euro Cup I believe)

Anyway, Benzema is worth the money. He's scored 6 goals in the last 5 games hes played in, and hes great to have as a "Right we've got a big game, lets go and own it"

I got an offer half way through the last season (Which I won) to apply for a job at Chelsea. But being as I'm from Manchester, and being as I was winning, and being as I'd invested a whole load of time in City, here I am.

Also, bizarrely, Denmark offered me a place managing their National team. So I'm doing that too, and currently qualifying for the World Cup. Hurray! Won against Italy.

So the career's going well at the moment! I know I've hammered the "Games without losing" record by like 15 games, and still going! Very fun time at the moment!

First season signings:

Joao Moutinho - £14m (generally solid, but often gets fatigued)

Carlos Vela - £12.75m (gets better as he develops)

Artur Boruc - £18.5m (waste of money, since replaced with Akinfeev)

Anatoliy Tymoschuk - £15.5m (great signing, good defending, and was actually my top scorer in league for first, woeful season)

Andrey Arshavin - £12.75m (occasional awesome performance, terrible most of the time)

Darijo Srna - £16.5m (brilliant signing, can fill in at MR, ML, DR, DL)

Michael Owen - £4.5m (awful first season with just 3 goals, has come good in second with 7 in 10)

I started a game with City, and with 72 millions to spend, I went on a shopping round.

Bought: Ustari, De Silvestri, Zhirkov, Veloso, Moutinho, Ninis, Huntelaar. Had some quite nice bargains. 9.5 for Moutinho, and the same price for Veloso. Next season I hope to get Balotelli, Hamsik, Akinfeev or Ochoa, Jovetic and Kuzmanovic.

I started a game with City, and with 72 millions to spend, I went on a shopping round.

Bought: Ustari, De Silvestri, Zhirkov, Veloso, Moutinho, Ninis, Huntelaar. Had some quite nice bargains. 9.5 for Moutinho, and the same price for Veloso. Next season I hope to get Balotelli, Hamsik, Akinfeev or Ochoa, Jovetic and Kuzmanovic.

Add Srna to that - He makes an excellent team captain too, half the squad were joyous when I appointed him Captain soon as he arrived. Dunne got sold anyway.

Just wondering if the owners ever decide to leave in anyones game? I'm a Leeds job waiting to happen imo :)

I can't fathom someone unable to challenge for the league with that kind of money

Unless they're Mark Hughes

My turn, one thing I don't understand but might be because y'all play FM while I'm playing WSM. How the hell do you spend so freely, I had 52 Million pounds in the red after the 1st season and I only spent 55 million!! Mostly because the stadium is rented and small

Anyway!!

2dt87ba.jpg

16lz8yp.jpg

October season 2 now, my main summer purchases were:

Van der Vaart - didn't want to come during winter, but soon after he was disappointed about the lack of footie at Real so I managed to get him to sign. His play seems much more dynamic than Elano's and VdVaart is now my starting AMC.

Lescott - I wanted an experienced English DC to help bolster my defence. Dunne went to Spain (Valencia IIRC) and I didn't begrudge him the step up. But a starting lineup with Richards and Thiago Silva was too young for my tastes. His ability to play at DL was added bonus (and necessary to keep Bale, another young one, on his toes). He usually starts at DL or DC (instead of Thiago Silva). Where he starts is usually up to Bale's (lack of) form.

Rafinha - Cover for Srna; also makes Srna more flexible in the sense that he can play at MR more often now.

Zuculini - DMC from Racing Club in Argentina. A younger player to follow in Tymoschuk's footsteps. Kompany's decent enough, but not top class. Zuculini is better at the role I think.

Mata - the young left winger from Valencia. Valencia didn't want to give him up, but I paid the 60M release clause. I had money to burn anyway (still have 40+M left in the kitty) so I didn't mind, and I had to get cover for Ashley Young. Mata's been brilliant.

And a few purchases that went to U18 / Reserves, for the future. Though the signings confidence screen shows disappointment at lack of play for those players... Bah. A 17yr old in development is for the future folks!

Main sales:

- Dunne: I had resigned myself with selling either Richards or Dunne over the summer due to interest in spring. A top club in Spain came for Dunne and he was eager for the chance so I let him go. I managed to keep Richards and Thiago Silva, so I don't really mind

- Michael Johnson: not good enough. About 8M, I think to either Portsmouth or Sunderland.

- Petrov: he was disappointed by a rejection of an AC Milan offer during the winter, but that passed somewhere late spring. Interest remained high and Inter came knocking. Selling him meant I had to push Young as my main starter a bit earlier than planned, but then I got hold of Mata and he's better than poor Ashley :)

- Zabaleta: Worse than Srna and Richards is able to play as DR if needed. Prompted my search for Rafinha.

- Ben Haim: Just not good enough

Starting 11, usually:

Hart / Lobont (fairly equal)

Srna - Richards - Thiago Silva - Lescott

Tymoschuk (DMC, free role)

SWP - Mata (MR - ML)

VdV (AMC, playmaker)

Robinho (free role) - Milevskyi

Mata often starts at AML instead of ML with FWR to conserve strength. He is soooooo good that I find I've demoted Ashley Young to the "first player to fill the bench".

If SWP is not fit to play, my right flank is Rafinha at DR and Srna at MR

Bale is too inconsistent and I find I play Lescott at DL more often than not.

Formally, I'm trying to rotate Elano on the pitch as often as possible, but in practice, he just sits on the bench a lot.

Sturridge is getting play in games that don't matter or are easy. So does Chad Evans.

Ireland is not good enough to hold a place and I barely play him at all.

ManCity excells at big games. Wins vs Chelsea, ManU (early League Cup, but still), Milan and Porto in CL group stage. Scoring power vs weaker teams is poor though. Too many draws because Robinho/Milevskyi do not seem to be very efficient goalscorers. But they make for great looking footie though, especially now with VdVaart (and Tymoschuk, who creates from deeper).

Signed some great players but atm arent performing. My starting 11 is:

J.Hart

D.Srna M.Richards S.Ramos R.Drenthe

Arshavin Van Der Vaart A.Hleb

Robinho

Adriano Pogrebnyak/vela

Schmeichael

SWP

Kompany

Dunne

Vela/Pogrebnyak

Skjeilbred

Ireland

AM in the process of signing Sergio Aguero, Sergio Asenjo and Alexandre Pato.

With this squad im still struglging in the bottom half of the table, no players unhappy, pat rice as assistant manager.

Anyone suggest any possible signings, or tactics.

Much appreciated.

Cheers

I cannot keep the lead in any game my last game i was 3-1 up against chelsea at half time ended 3-3

this must have happened 6-10 times

my formation is

hart

zabaleta dunne richards taiwo

kompany de jong

swp robinho arshavin

jo

jo is really not good enough for me but i could not agree a price with anyone for a striker

jo is really not good enough for me but i could not agree a price with anyone for a striker

I find these sorts of comments amusing coming from City managers. Usually, my problem is getting the players to sign, not getting the clubs to agree. I mean, what's the point of having oodles of cash (for all intents and purposes a limitless transfer kitty) if you're going to be stingy? :)

Even absurd "limited transfer fee" sums are manageable for me. After a first season spree, the summer before the second season is, for me, the time to get that one or two golden transfers for which money is no issue (see: the Kaka-craze IRL). If you need to buy a striker for 60M because all you've got is Jo, then spend the 60M. I mean, that's only half your budget anyway! ;)

to be fair TeeWee, for some one who wants to splash the cash - then go for it.

although, do you get any fun out of signing players for £100's of millions of pounds...

i dont know about the rest of you but, i think there is more fun in actually trying to 'weal and deal' your transfers - i wouldn't call this stingy!

within the first and second season if you destroy the core of the man city team it is harder to get success.

core players like...

Hart

Dunne

Richard

Johnson

Ireland

Elano

Petrov

Robinbo

try to keep them even though you wont be playing them very often. the team already lack synergy so even with new signing i can see some of you guys struggling. that's because they totally lack any kind of teamwork and communications to execute what might be a great tactic. make changes slowly and gradually to the starting 11 and you can easily win everything on season 3 onwards. though winning everything in the first season is possible too.

Noob21

just let the profits goes into red. you will almost never run into debt as the owner inject cash every so often.

Signed some great players but atm arent performing. My starting 11 is:

J.Hart

D.Srna M.Richards S.Ramos R.Drenthe

Arshavin Van Der Vaart A.Hleb

Robinho

Adriano Pogrebnyak/vela

Schmeichael

SWP

Kompany

Dunne

Vela/Pogrebnyak

Skjeilbred

Ireland

AM in the process of signing Sergio Aguero, Sergio Asenjo and Alexandre Pato.

With this squad im still struglging in the bottom half of the table, no players unhappy, pat rice as assistant manager.

Anyone suggest any possible signings, or tactics.

Much appreciated.

Cheers

At a glance: too much creativity, too little solidity. I know, it's a bit of a waste of players for you, but of all your midfielders, I'd play a max of 2 creation-only players (I'd use Arshavin and VdVaart) and preferably two dual-purpose players (that is, able to destroy as well as create). Play Robinho as a creative Forward or don't play him at all. Both Arshavin and VdVaart should be better at AMC than Robinho. Perhaps a box-like formation suits your players better than this (2 (d)MC, 2 AMC), but then again, without the destroyers, your field is still too light. Even Srna and Drenthe are best as forward-oriented players. This leaves only the DCs as defensive-oriented players.

Assuming your in the winter transfer period: if you're bottom half, consider the season lost as a build up season. Get a key (D)MC player in to win/hold up the ball. I'm a big fan of Tymoschuk, but given the amount of money already spent, he may be out of your budget. Since this season is already lost, you may decide to go for young and potential instead of more experienced and perform NOW. Forget Aguero and Asenjo; your problems are neither forwards nor goalies (Hart is adequate; if needed, a good backup player to push him on a bit is a good buy. Save Asenjo for the summer if you want him that badly). Aim for qualification for Europe. This makes actually signing new players much easier next summer.

The second season is when you'll have to be hot. For the summer transfer period, select 2 positions to really improve (5/6 star CA purchases. This is important, you want them to improve the squad NOW) for which you shouldn't be afraid to spend 75% of your transfer budget. Other purchases should be squad depth-oriented (you don't want another season of getting the squad to blend in) or future oriented.

although, do you get any fun out of signing players for £100's of millions of pounds...

i dont know about the rest of you but, i think there is more fun in actually trying to 'weal and deal' your transfers - i wouldn't call this stingy!

Oh, I'm not really telling you how to play... But if I want to wheel and deal; City is not my team :)

To add to this a bit more: the challenge of City is not to find the players (though getting good players to sign is not always easy), but to get the team to work IMO.

And no, I don't mind paying 60M for Mata as long as he performs! :)

I find these sorts of comments amusing coming from City managers. Usually, my problem is getting the players to sign, not getting the clubs to agree. I mean, what's the point of having oodles of cash (for all intents and purposes a limitless transfer kitty) if you're going to be stingy? :)

Even absurd "limited transfer fee" sums are manageable for me. After a first season spree, the summer before the second season is, for me, the time to get that one or two golden transfers for which money is no issue (see: the Kaka-craze IRL). If you need to buy a striker for 60M because all you've got is Jo, then spend the 60M. I mean, that's only half your budget anyway! ;)

i dont mind spending money but 30 million for santa cruz? i dont think so

What's your alternative? Jo? ;)

BTW, everyone seems to be playing Progrobnyak. Worth a look?

im looking at yakubu atm top scorer in the premiership

ive just sold fernandes and veloso is coming in january

but i have no money left so i might have to wait

Archived