Does ai forget a tactic?

Hello the question is pretty obvious. For example i use a tactic for a season and the ai starts to counter it. So i do not use it anymore i completely create a new one. After 3-4 seasons if i use the first tactic i use does the ai remember it and counter it immediately?

5 hours ago, ElZıbane said:

Hello the question is pretty obvious. For example i use a tactic for a season and the ai starts to counter it. So i do not use it anymore i completely create a new one. After 3-4 seasons if i use the first tactic i use does the ai remember it and counter it immediately?

The AI doesn't counter a specific tactic. It sets up according to your rep and form vs its own rep and form and taking into account whether it's home or away.

• SI Staff
4 hours ago, craiigman said:

Interview with someone from SI says a bit different? https://thesetpieces.com/gaming/get-better-fm17-someone-knows/

I'm not sure that's what it says. The AI does not "learn" your tactic.

It does however try to beat your tactic in the same way that you might try to beat its own. If you are successful over time the AI will come to see you as more of a threat and as such pay more attention and likely play more conservatively against you. This can result in a previously very effective, very attacking formation being nullified by the now more defensive AI. This isn't the AI "learning" your tactic, this is the AI giving you the respect you deserve and adapting to attempt to beat you. 

To be fair to @craiigman the way Tom has phrased his response or at the very least the way Iain has framed it does come across as if the AI manager is looking for & targeting specific weakness in the opposition.

I just put that down for marketing/journalistic license but I can certainly see how some may see how a statement such as “They will be watching your team, assessing your tactics and pinpointing your weaknesses. They will be plotting your downfall, so you need to plot theirs.” would be interpreted as a description of a much higher level adaptive AI.

I'm not sure about the current version, but in previous versions I've seen the a.i adapt a lot better than simply going defensive. They can specifically close down your playmaker, man mark your dlp with their striker, go very defensive only on the primary side of your buildup, and other stuff. Which I think is pretty cool.

Just now, Cap'nRad said:

I'm not sure about the current version, but in previous versions I've seen the a.i adapt a lot better than simply going defensive. They can specifically close down your playmaker, man mark your dlp with their striker, go very defensive only on the primary side of your buildup, and other stuff. Which I think is pretty cool.

As said, it's mostly OIs. Although that last one they can't do yet.

• SI Staff

Just wanted to combat any alluding to the old, false, maxim that the AI "learns" a User's tactic over time and the only way to continue with success is to constantly change tactics to avoid this.

1 hour ago, HUNT3R said:

Although that last one they can't do yet

Are you sure? Because I've observed the ai pulling back the cm, wb, and sometimes even winger on the flank I'm threatening more. Sometimes they even start the match like this, meaning they must have anticipated my primary area of attack. Not that I'm complaining because that's really nice to see, but are you saying this was simply coincidence?

Archived