4-1-4-1

Could really do with some feedback. 

Not doing too well with Sunderland with this formation, creating chances, or lack of, is the main thing. 

GK-D

LB - WB - S

CB - CD - D

CB - CD - D

RB - FB - S

DM - DLP - S

LCM - CAR - S

RCM - CM - A

LM - Inverted Winger - S

RM - W - A

ST - DLF - S

Retain Possession, Play out of defence

Is there anything I'm massively overlooking here? Tried to go for a decently balanced tactic while being solid at the back. 

Nothing jumps out at me as inherently wrong with this set up. You would have to look at the way your team is positioning in game to see if you are getting into the spaces you want to. I was excited for the inverted winger, but I have found that I get a better result (based on what I am looking for) by customising a Wide Midfielder(s) with a few PI's. 

The ball will naturally gravitate to your DLP, so from there he will look to find a runner, most likely your right winger, otherwise his only options will really be short passing. 

I don't know how opposition defences are regularly set up in the championship, but perhaps you need to look at the opposition and see if you can identify where the space is to exploit; if they are playing  with 2 DM's, then is the inverted winger what you really want, as he will be running into those players regularly.

As for the retain possession shout, it makes your players think a little more carefully and take fewer risks, so you may find that you wont pass to pick out runs from your W(a) as you don't want to risk losing the ball. I've found that rather than starting with RP, I use it on an off throughout phases of the match depending on the flow of the game.

4 minutes ago, Sunlinlad said:

Always feel more comfortable having possession. Also feels the right thing to when having a DLP and 2 CM's. 

Any reason I shouldn't use it?

Yeah because Retain Possession reduces Risky Balls and you definitely need more through balls if you wanna break stubborn defences.

Retain possession is a shout mainly used for seeing out a game when you have the lead and want to keep the ball, it greatly reduces the risk of your passes and you might find it hard to penetrate the oppositions defence with all your passes going sideways or to the nearest man, especially in a 4-1-4-1 formation which lacks bodies in the oppositions half as opposed to 4-2-3-1 etc. If you want to keep possession I would just do lower tempo, shorter passing and if you feel you need dribble less, this will make your players keep the ball and have more possession but also take risks when necessary and try to open the defence and score a goal. This will greatly be influenced by team mentality whether you are on counter (less risk) or control (more risk)

10 hours ago, Phelix said:

Nothing jumps out at me as inherently wrong with this set up. You would have to look at the way your team is positioning in game to see if you are getting into the spaces you want to. I was excited for the inverted winger, but I have found that I get a better result (based on what I am looking for) by customising a Wide Midfielder(s) with a few PI's. 

The ball will naturally gravitate to your DLP, so from there he will look to find a runner, most likely your right winger, otherwise his only options will really be short passing. 

I don't know how opposition defences are regularly set up in the championship, but perhaps you need to look at the opposition and see if you can identify where the space is to exploit; if they are playing  with 2 DM's, then is the inverted winger what you really want, as he will be running into those players regularly.

As for the retain possession shout, it makes your players think a little more carefully and take fewer risks, so you may find that you wont pass to pick out runs from your W(a) as you don't want to risk losing the ball. I've found that rather than starting with RP, I use it on an off throughout phases of the match depending on the flow of the game.

Cheers for that. Going to have a rethink about the IW and get rid of retain possession. Seems like I misunderstood what it actually meant. 

10 hours ago, Armistice said:

Yeah because Retain Possession reduces Risky Balls and you definitely need more through balls if you wanna break stubborn defences.

Cheers, going to go without RP for a few games. Passes have been very simple and basic with it on. 

10 hours ago, OhhScottySinclair said:

Retain possession is a shout mainly used for seeing out a game when you have the lead and want to keep the ball, it greatly reduces the risk of your passes and you might find it hard to penetrate the oppositions defence with all your passes going sideways or to the nearest man, especially in a 4-1-4-1 formation which lacks bodies in the oppositions half as opposed to 4-2-3-1 etc. If you want to keep possession I would just do lower tempo, shorter passing and if you feel you need dribble less, this will make your players keep the ball and have more possession but also take risks when necessary and try to open the defence and score a goal. This will greatly be influenced by team mentality whether you are on counter (less risk) or control (more risk)

Cheers for that. Was thinking about playing 4-1-2-3 with an IF on the left and a W on the right but like the safety of a 4-1-4-1 at the minute. 

You have to maintain some perspective. You are using Sunderland, a club that was just relegated with one of the least effective seasons in the Premiership in a long, which is currently on pace to get relegated again, and are setting records for poor play. If managing a club like Sunderland in this version was easy and wins were simple, the game would be massively unrealistic and pretty much an arcade game.

1 hour ago, Bigpapa42 said:

You have to maintain some perspective. You are using Sunderland, a club that was just relegated with one of the least effective seasons in the Premiership in a long, which is currently on pace to get relegated again, and are setting records for poor play. If managing a club like Sunderland in this version was easy and wins were simple, the game would be massively unrealistic and pretty much an arcade game.

Agreed. 

Getting pumped 0-3 of Barnsley/Preston/Forest every week is slightly unrealistic aswell, though. Especially when they have about 10 chances per game. 

23 hours ago, Sunlinlad said:

Agreed. 

Getting pumped 0-3 of Barnsley/Preston/Forest every week is slightly unrealistic aswell, though. Especially when they have about 10 chances per game. 

Not really, as Sunderland did get beat at Barnsley 3-0....... 

Archived