Terminate FM18: Handbook on Pep Guardiola's Barcelona 433 and the Tactic Pack

update 1.28.2018: little tweak to CMa& setpieces.

update 1.20.2018: drag back Wingbacks to normal piosition and limit the pass range of CMa.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi guys, here comes the Pep Guardiola's Barcelona 433 tactic pack which can be used in any update coz i never take advantage of the game engine.
I have used Atletico Madrid (original players& average bonus) to test and the results are perfect:
Fixture:

1.thumb.png.27d7806c6c3c06f130213354271a9afd.png

2.thumb.png.f750f104db3336f02f4fd1e53e565ae2.png

3.thumb.png.5f47adfe1dfdb6ff4f6ea1d14ab5ea6c.png

4.thumb.png.2f08ea9afc4c99721c4e3f8d5d391e85.png

5.thumb.png.03879aba66c380e4d26d01984f38c45e.png

League:

2.thumb.jpg.79f2834d6cd006d82a02ac1e0a223937.jpg

5.thumb.png.7614e9710924b7050c42145596afc6df.png

5a191b2e67458_QQ20171125152406.thumb.png.435d49147fd472e63d46e88a6f9ad5bd.png

Champions league:

12.thumb.png.3ea9d3394a01922a72d7aa3cc326d7ad.png

5a191b5293505_QQ20171125152543.thumb.png.1bf2d093f97b81b68e6106e58c643e62.png
Players's stats& awards:

1.thumb.png.237149e910c2a0c6612458fbc72dc9ef.png

2.thumb.png.ee84cf45785cc018b475a9c93f3c7905.png

3.thumb.png.55dd3cb8493c8ded269d001389f8b460.png

Now let's go to the tactic part:
1,Staff
Hire enough amount& quality medical staffs to advoid the injuries;
Improve your training facilities and hire high star-rating tactic coach to speed up your tactic familiarity.

2,Formation

5a63329698c0c_QQ20180120194713.thumb.png.0a862d1d0438c202cb080763abedee26.png

3,Mentality
Mentality is the most important thing in my tactic pack, you probably cannot get a result you want if you choose a wrong mentality.

In my tactic pack, there're 5 mentalities to be choosed: Standard, Counter, Control, Attacking, Overload.
So how to choose a proper mentality:
Watch carefully& closely among the match, if
a,you& your opponent can pass and dribble freely and your opponent's striker often threatens your keeper by getting passes of opportunism(e.g. a long ball), that means you'd better increase your mentality(to give more pressure);
b,you are forced to be back to your opponent's goal and cannot turn around  most of the time, reduce your mentality;
c,you still can make your ball circulate though it seems that your opponent closes down you actively and nearly can get your ball, You Got It!!!

Change the mentality among the match if necessary.

4,Width& Defensive-line
Choose 105m×68m size for your home pitch.
My width& defensive-line settings are on the basis of common 105m×68m size, tweak them if necessary. in theory, if the pitch is much shorter/longer, drag back/push up your defensive-line a little bit; if it's much wider/narrower, reduce/increase your width a little bit.

here're are my personal conclusion which needs more tests:
a, if the pitch's width is from 68 to 64, don't change; if it's narrower than 64, add "1" to your tactic's width; if it's wider than 68, minus "1";
b, if the pitch's length is from 105 to 102, don't change; if it's shorter than 102, minus "1" to your tactic's length.

c,if the pitch's length is longer than 105, "plus 1" to your team's press?

5,Closing Down& Role
a,if your 2 centerbacks are facing more than 1 opponent's center striker, your centerbacks must close down much less; change your defensive midfielder to half-back and tick close down much less and shoot less often to help your centerbacks. if your Wingbacks are in the advanced positions at the same time, minus "1" to your tactic's width to keep it proper;
b,if your 2 centerbacks are facing a lone opponent's center striker without surpport from both L/RWinger and attacking midfielder position, your centerbacks must close down sometimes;
c,if your opponent has L/RMidfielder(not L/RWinger ) or lone L/RWingback, you should push up your Wingbacks to the advanced position to handle them. i guess they'd better close down sometimes at the same time, but i think it need more tests.

so(ignore the words on the pics):

1.thumb.png.482a6ddcbd9ac5e0ba0f15d3ee1a431d.png

don't press& mark the DM(Casemiro) in OI.

2.thumb.png.8bb4619be096042994bb5cee6956c081.png

a:make your CDs press much less; b: make your DM to HB, and press much less; c: push your WB to advanced positons, and press sometimes(?); d: minus "1" to your team width.

3.thumb.png.9f08dfd01f85fe72e189f91e2a85fc39.png

if Joaquin is not a shadow striker, don't change anything; if he's a SS, make your DM to HB, and press much less.

4.thumb.png.7f47c35c62d584a783cff48b7b0e82ec.png

a:push up your DM to CMd ,and shoot less often(so you'd better train this flat-CM433 if necessary); b: make your CMa press sometimes and APs press much less.

5.thumb.png.61e8e46c8fb0dd464bf32921db8de417.png

a:push your WB to advanced positons, and press  sometimes(?); b: make your CMa press sometimes and APs press much less.

6.thumb.png.046f430ac22b0cff8b82268d16f7c009.png

a:make your CDs press  sometimes; b:push your WB to advanced positons, and press  sometimes(?); c: don't press and mark the DM in OI.

8.thumb.png.2b78a89f489978c32ce6e766f548c95f.png

a:make your CDs press much less; b: make your DM to HB, and press much less; c: push your WB to advanced positons, and press sometimes(?);  d: make your CMa press sometimes and APs press much less; e: minus "1" to your team width.

9.thumb.png.a8dfe2eab25bd6838bb9bbc4e3267792.png

a:make your IFs press much less; b: don't press and mark the central CD.

6,OI
a,show onto left foot to opponent's RB/RWB/RCB; show onto right foot to opponent's LB/LWB/LCB;
b,tick never closing down to the faster L/Rmidfielder, L/RWinger;

7,Pass Into Space Or Not

in my control/attacking/overload mentality tatics, i tick the Pass into space which reduces 5-10% possession. however, it will be good to your attack coz you need to create space when you're facing a lower mentality opponent. anyway, you can test further for yourself but i believe you would agree with me.

8,Pre-match Focus

attacking movement at the most of the time& defending positioning when facing the huge names.

however, you can be more aggressive after you get enough wins coz even the huge names will fear you then.

9,Advoid Red Card& Waste Time& Overload mentality

tick Easy Off Tackles in his player instructions ASAP if he gets a yellow card ;

tick Retain Possession & untick Pass Into Space to rest if you think you have got a satisfying score in the last 5-10min.

10,Attribution& PPM

say NO to conflicting PPMs, for example: for Su duty, "come deep to get ball", but don't "go forward"; for At duty, vice versa.

SKd:some rushout& acceleration
PPM:play way out of trouble

CDd:enough acceleration and speed. Left foot for left CD(or enough left-foot ability), Right foot for right CD.
PPM:play way out of trouble

right WBa:acceleration, speed, off-ball, stamina, dribbling, crossing, flar... Right foot(some left foot ability).
PPM:go forward whenever possible, runs with the ball down the right flank, one-twos.

left WBa:acceleration, speed, off-ball, stamina, dribbling, crossing, flar... Left foot(some right foot ability).
PPM:go forward whenever possible, runs with the ball down the left flank, one-twos

DMd:some passing&heading
PPM:

right APs:just follow the game requirements. Right foot(enough left foot ability).
PPM:come deep to get ball, dictate tempo, one-twos.
say NO to conflicting PPMs, for example:go forward whenever possible

left CMa:off-ball, finishing, composure to score. the unpreferred foot should not be so weak.
PPM:go forward whenever possible, often dribble, one-twos.

say NO to conflicting PPMs, for example:  killer ball.

right IFs:don't ignore the team work. Left foot(some right foot ability).
PPM:come deep to get ball, cut inside, one-twos.
say NO to conflicting PPMs, for example: move into channels, anti-offside, go forward whenever possible, go to the opposition's area.

left IFs:don't ignore the team work. Right foot(some left foot ability).
PPM:come deep to get ball, cut inside, one-twos.
say NO to conflicting PPMs, for example: move into channels, anti-offside, go forward whenever possible, go to the opposition's area.

F9:just follow the game requirements, don't ignore the team work. Left foot(enough right foot ability).
Left foot is better in this tactic just like Messi, if you have a right foot F9, make sure his left foot ability is enough.
PPM:come deep to get ball, run with ball often, on-twos, killer ball, dictate tempo.
say NO to conflicting PPMs, for example: anti-offside, go forward whenever possible, go to the opposition's area.

thank you!

433balanced.fmf

433counter.fmf

433control.fmf

433attack.fmf

433overload.fmf

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you want to replicate Pep Guardiola, shouldn't the centrebacks be ball-playing defenders? When at Bayern he put major emphasis on the buildup play of his central defenders (Hummels/Boateng/Martinez). When at Barcelona he put a defensive midfielder to CD to help with buildup play (Mascherano played DMC before his entire career).

30 minutes ago, burnum said:

If you want to replicate Pep Guardiola, shouldn't the centrebacks be ball-playing defenders? When at Bayern he put major emphasis on the buildup play of his central defenders (Hummels/Boateng/Martinez). When at Barcelona he put a defensive midfielder to CD to help with buildup play (Mascherano played DMC before his entire career).

well, coz i have choosed a fluid team shape

I'd really love for this to work well. I've been waiting for a Pep-like tactic to work well on FM18 but so far it seemed to me that the formations with 3 pure strikers and the strikerless formations were more powerful in FM18. I might do some testing on this tactic over the weekend with Liverpool (they seem to have the perfect players for this).

Could you give some general overview on when to use which menatlity? I always play on 'key highlights', so I won't see too much of the actual gameplay (I prefer the matches to be kept shorter).

My understanding would be something like this:

Overload: end of the match, when you need a goal at all costs

Attacking: at home against smaller teams

Control: at home against equal and slightly bigger/smaller teams, away against smaller teams

Balanced: at home against bigger teams, away against equal teams

Counter: away against bigger teams (when a draw would be a good score), end of the match when defending a lead

Is this correct in general or would you change my general approach towards using it? Of course tactics can always be switched in the match, I was just referring to starting the match.

6 hours ago, burnum said:

I'd really love for this to work well. I've been waiting for a Pep-like tactic to work well on FM18 but so far it seemed to me that the formations with 3 pure strikers and the strikerless formations were more powerful in FM18. I might do some testing on this tactic over the weekend with Liverpool (they seem to have the perfect players for this).

Could you give some general overview on when to use which menatlity? I always play on 'key highlights', so I won't see too much of the actual gameplay (I prefer the matches to be kept shorter).

My understanding would be something like this:

Overload: end of the match, when you need a goal at all costs

Attacking: at home against smaller teams

Control: at home against equal and slightly bigger/smaller teams, away against smaller teams

Balanced: at home against bigger teams, away against equal teams

Counter: away against bigger teams (when a draw would be a good score), end of the match when defending a lead

Is this correct in general or would you change my general approach towards using it? Of course tactics can always be switched in the match, I was just referring to starting the match.

i believe you have to test several full mathes. 

in FM17, i have to check the opponent managers coachstyle coz a attack-love manager will attack at his home though hes coaching a underdog.

but, in18, it seems that all the opponent managers fear me after i am keeping win in row, and i can use control mentality at real madrid home. in 17, i just use counter.

i dont like 3or0 centerstriker formation, its a little bit surreal to me.

10 hours ago, kpsia518 said:

tested 1st game,ManUtd VS Arsenal,look like huge space to exploit at the back of WB left & right.

Looks very interesting. A few games in and football being played is good and the slight changes recommended have good effects against various formations. Very promising and many thanks for sharing.

I don't get what you mean by increasing your mentality of their striker gets a long pass and threatens your keeper. Wouldn't increasing your mentality at that point push your d-line up even more and make you more vulnerable to long balls?

6 小時前, Sticx說:

I don't get what you mean by increasing your mentality of their striker gets a long pass and threatens your keeper. Wouldn't increasing your mentality at that point push your d-line up even more and make you more vulnerable to long balls?

if you choose a unproper low mentality, you will see the low mentality opponent's midfielder can pass his ball to the striker easily and the later one can threaten your goal, though the opponent has only small amount of guys to attack. then you choose the higher mentality, and your guys will press more to limit the opponent's opportunism.

• 2 weeks later...

Been using this on a journeyman save. Worked brilliantly at the two clubs I’ve been at so far. Only lost a handful of games and exceeding expectations consistently. Have a list of attributes that suit the roles  in my view in filters that work brilliantly and I can take confidently to any club. 

A brilliant patch proof piece of work. Thanks for sharing. Should have a lot more interest on the forum given how many people are looking for tactical ideas that really work. 

Well done again. 

在 2017/12/12 在 AM6点00分, loisvale說:

Been using this on a journeyman save. Worked brilliantly at the two clubs I’ve been at so far. Only lost a handful of games and exceeding expectations consistently. Have a list of attributes that suit the roles  in my view in filters that work brilliantly and I can take confidently to any club. 

A brilliant patch proof piece of work. Thanks for sharing. Should have a lot more interest on the forum given how many people are looking for tactical ideas that really work. 

Well done again. 

:brock::hammer:created and optimizing it since FM15 though im real madrid' fan.

1 小時前, nemanja2306說:

Seems very interesting and I would love to try it.

However, can you elaborate a little more on the mentalities? How would you choose each one with regard to the pre-match odds?

it seems that the mentality parts should be explained further but i cant do it due to my poor english. i once wanted to express it with GIF but gave up coz it seems not so many people interested with it though i know it simply works. 

what i can tell u is that every facters are perfectly matched in my tactics. the role, the mentality and close down pair.. so you can test for yourself in a simple way , choose a mentality tactic, lost ? just choose another mentality. youll get the point after several matches. i dont look into other hot tactics and dont know how they choose mentality but i think the mentality is so important and it should be dicided some way. and my way is universal though i cant express it so clearly, you know, the close down and things like that.

i dont think about the bet odds though i know it maybe means something, i just watch the match and improve my tactics since FM15

On a horrible run at the moment.lost last 3 games.  The game can really bite you. Just got knocked out the German cup with me having 45 shots and 71% possession to their 2 shots and 29% possession. Lose 1-0. Still believe the tactic is great though. 

Do you rotate your squad much or just play the best 11 as much as possible. 

3 小時前, loisvale說:

On a horrible run at the moment.lost last 3 games.  The game can really bite you. Just got knocked out the German cup with me having 45 shots and 71% possession to their 2 shots and 29% possession. Lose 1-0. Still believe the tactic is great though. 

Do you rotate your squad much or just play the best 11 as much as possible. 

the only issue im not sure about th tactic is whether i should increase close down in overload tactic sometimes. anyway, i dont change most of time.

but the following things are important as well coz i think its them trouble u

1. start the preseason as early as possible, enough friendly match, one month bodytraining ,and at least one month cohesion training ,especially when too many players come and go.

2.the new players cant be familiar to your tactic so quickly, so dont send too many new players to the pitch at th beginning. and the relationship between the players is important as well, its shown according to the green line in FM18, you known. im used to rotate according to these principles.

3.be humble before the press after wins or your guys will be self satisfied. tell your guys they train and example well to rise their morale, dont do this so frequently and make sure the morale is high enough before  big matches.

eyes feel dry and nerves are tight after 3 mathes so i stop to relax then, just take it easy and enjoy the game:D

20 分鐘前, campos08說:

various, i found very difficult against 4-2-3-1, specially against united

well its indeed hard to beat united, rise your teams morale before the match, tell them fight for fans, choose a proper(lower) mentality, dont press rashford and martial...thats all i can tell u. in theory, 433 is very suitble to face 4231

1 小時前, campos08說:

I finished first season with Liverpool. End up winning the league and league cup. Got beat in FA Cup semi final and Champions League quarter final.

20171230153924_1.jpg

seems not bad?  i think you can buy left wingback and some good subs for liverpool

3 hours ago, Kurt Hoo said:

seems not bad?  i think you can buy left wingback and some good subs for liverpool

Yeah it was good season, had a bit bad run and get knocked out from CL and FA Cup. Second season had a very good start 7 wins out of 7 in a league plus Charity Shield win and 2 wins in CL

8 小時前, campos08說:

Yeah it was good season, had a bit bad run and get knocked out from CL and FA Cup. Second season had a very good start 7 wins out of 7 in a league plus Charity Shield win and 2 wins in CL

i still dont like the low possession ratio, i'll try to do some change like untick be more expressions and less dribble.

2 hours ago, Mattjohn said:

Hi I am interested in giving this tactic a go with Wolves. In the first thread you have a few tactics which one do you use? (Counter, Balanced, Control, Attack or Overload)

You use all of them. Just have to adapt to the opposition. These are very good tactics just be patient and give them time and results will come.

I use control if I'm favorite at home and heavy favorite away

balanced if I'm underdog at home or slight favorite away

counter if I'm underdog away.

Attack and overload I use only if I need a goal.

6 小時前, Mattjohn說:

Sorry more questions, how do you manage with familiarity as you can only load 3 and there is 5 tactics? 

figure out the mentality you use most frequently and train it "full", and then train the second mentality.

12 小時前, loisvale說:

What do you do when you are down to ten men. I tend to remove the dm and change the ap support to a dlp defend in the middle and chance cm attack to a support duty? Anyone do something different?

remove F9 and dont press opposition's keeper and central defenders in OI. and drag back the the advanced guy to defend in freekick and corner kick.

Archived