The Official Chelsea Premiership Champions Thread 2005/06

JoeyM

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

one thing that annoyed me about yesterday was Crespo going down like a sniper in row Z had got him in the back not that REALLY parnaby had got him a little round the shin, i find when i get tackled my legs dont lock and my back arch in such a way....is he ALWAYs like that? or was it a off day?

Just read this in the gossip column:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Barcelona manager Frank Rijkaard is set to call Middlesbrough boss Steve McClaren to discover the secrets of Boro's shock 3-0 win over Champions League opponents Chelsea. (The Sun)

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Made me laugh.

• 2 weeks later...

hehe. New it would come. And here it is !

Updated: Feb. 23, 2006

Mourinho: Sending off changed everything

Jose Mourinho insists the referee's decision to send off Asier del Horno condemned Chelsea to defeat against Barcelona.

MikeHewitt/GettyImages

Mourinho vents his fury at the fourth official

Mourinho's Blues were beaten in the first leg of their last 16 Champions League knockout against the Spanish league leaders.

They played more than half the game with 10 men after Del Horno was controversially sent off for a foul on Barca's Lionel Messi in the 37th minute.

Mourinho said: 'The fact that we had to play 10 versus 11 when it should have been 11 versus 11 changed everything.

'To play with 10 is always difficult, even against a small team. Against a good team, of course it's more difficult.

'We had to face them again with 10 players - not for a small period of time.

'You can have the energy to do it for 10 or 15 minutes but to play for 50 minutes with one player less, it's difficult to close the door all the time. Sometimes doors open. That's the reality.'

Chelsea knocked Barcelona out at the same stage of the Champions League last year but only after losing the first leg 2-1 and having Didier Drogba sent off.

Mourinho said: 'At 11 versus 11, we beat them last season. At 11 versus 11, this game was open. At 11 versus 11, we were winning in Barcelona. At 10 versus 11 it is always difficult.

'It means you can't play a pressing game, you can't double up on the wing in defence, you can't defend deep. It means you are struggling.

'But I prefer to say I'm very proud of my players and the spirit from the fans. I prefer to go to Barcelona in a positive frame of mind.'

Chelsea went ahead in the 58th minute thanks to an own goal from Thiago Motta but John Terry scored past his own 'keeper to level.

Samuel Eto'o headed the winner, 10 minutes from time, but afterwards Mourinho accused Messi of conning the referee to get Del Horno sent off.

Mourinho said: 'Can Messi be suspended for acting? Barcelona is a very cultural city. You know all about theatre. You have theatres of high quality.'

The Chelsea boss is still annoyed that midfielder Michael Essien is missing the tie because UEFA issued a suspension for a foul missed by the referee in a group game against Liverpool.

Mourinho said: 'Essien was quite correctly suspended for it after the game.

'So what can we do now? Can we take back the red card from Del Horno? Can we revoke his suspension from the Nou Camp?

'We go there without Essien and without Del Horno. Do I send a `B-team' and concentrate on the FA Cup and the league?'

Barcelona manager Frank Rijkaard insists striker Messi, 18, did not try to con Norwegian referee Terje Hauge.

Rijkaard said: 'I see fouls on Messi all the time and he is not a player to overreact.

'I prefer not to go into things said by other people. Every manager has a right to say what he thinks about any situation. I prefer to do my job.

'It was an important result for us in a special game. We showed a lot of maturity. It was not our best performance but the main thing was that we concentrated well against difficult opponents.

'We will take the game in the Nou Camp very seriously. We intend to finish the job there but it will still be difficult. We won't rest on our laurels.'

From SOCCERNET.

------------------------

for **** sake stop with the bloody excuses. Blame yourselves for once you losers.

Opinion seems to be pretty split on the Red Card, blatantly because of the bias against Chelsea, never ever a red card, dreadful decision.

Had a great time watching the match, but shame the tie was turned by that decision (Barca were the better team up till then anyway to be fair though).

Can't agree with the conspiracy theories about UEFA wanting Chelsea out though - surely if something like that had been going on Barca would have got AT LEAST one penalty - as far as I could see it was just a dreadful, dreadful refeering decision for both teams, although Chelsea got the worst of it (like Barca got the worst of it last year).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Had a great time watching the match, but shame the tie was turned by that decision (Barca were the better team up till then anyway to be fair though). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wouldn't say they were much better than us, though they did have the best chance with Ronaldinho's low shot palmed by Big Pete. It would be nice to see a proper spectacle without the occasion being marred by some attention seeking referee (and by the way, I do think DH deserved to go, but for two yellows for, rather than the one red for that single challenge)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

ÄŒech accepts Czech accolade

Petr Čech has been named Czech Republic Player of the Year for 2005, beating off competition from Tomáš Rosický and four-time winner Pavel Nedvěd.

Third goalkeeper

The 23-year-old, who helped Chelsea FC win the 2004/05 English Premiership, topped the poll of players and coaches, becoming only the third goalkeeper in the accolade's 41-year history to claim the award. Petr Kouba was the last man to do so in 1993, but ÄŒech still has a long way to go to emulate 1. FC Brno great Ivo Viktor, who took the honour five times during the 1970s.

Brückner honour

BV Borussia Dortmund playmaker Rosický secured second spot at the ceremony held in Prague, while Juventus's Nedvěd finished in third. Martin Latka, who left SK Slavia Praha for Birmingham City FC in January, was voted Young Player of the Year, while national team coach Karel Brückner was named the country's premier coach for the sixth time after guiding the side to the FIFA World Cup finals.

Poborský achievement

There was also a special award for 33-year-old SK Dynamo České Budějovice midfielder Karel Poborský, in honour of the former Slavia and AC Sparta Praha man's service to Czech football. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No suprise at all

Ballack denies deal with Chelsea

Ballack will captain Germany at the 2006 World Cup finals

Bayern Munich midfielder Michael Ballack has denied reports that he has agreed a four-year deal with Chelsea.

According to the Daily Mail, Ballack - who is a free agent in the summer - was offered a contract worth £121,000 a week during talks in London in January.

But Ballack, 29, issued a statement saying: "I have not signed anything and I was also not in London."

Ballack's agent Michael Becker told BBC Sport: "There was contact with Chelsea in January that was not followed up."

Bayern and Chelsea have refused to comment on the story.

Ballack is in Florence preparing for Germany's World Cup warm-up match against Italy on Wednesday.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/chelsea/4758680.stm

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Chelsea defender Ricardo Carvalho has claimed Barcelona forward Lionel Messi's theatrics have "opened the road" for Blues players to do the same in the second leg of their Champions League tie in the Nou Camp.

Messi, the brilliant 18-year-old Argentina international, was criticised for over-reacting after a challenge from Asier Del Horno, which resulted in the Chelsea left-back being sent off in the 2-1 defeat last week.

"Messi is a good player but he has opened the road for some Chelsea players to do the same thing in Barcelona," said the Portugal centre-back ahead of Tuesday's second leg.

"Messi acted like an artist. He exaggerated everything he could and started to roll around on the field like he had been killed.

"He deceived the referee well, but these type of things are a part of football."

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

bit of a daft thing to go and say icon_rolleyes.gif

• Administrators

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">"He deceived the referee well, but these type of things are a part of football." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've been thinking a lot about this recently and probably will open it up to a debate, he's right.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Juni:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">"He deceived the referee well, but these type of things are a part of football." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've been thinking a lot about this recently and probably will open it up to a debate, he's right. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think this is interesting too. Players deceive officials in different ways. The differences are generally cultural.

Typically "English-style" players like Shearer play with elbows, constantly backing into players and bending the rules in a physical manner. Players from other climes deceive officials through play-acting and general melodrama.

Each are done for the same reasons- to influence the officials and give their team the advantage. The English press whips up a frenzy about "diving", whereas media from other parts of Europe focus negatively on the "physical approach" of the English.

Also, players here are physical with players that they know are technically better than them. The foreign player would be protected by the referee when playing in Europe, but not here. So, he dives. It is his response to what he sees as foul play.

It is part of the game now, as Carvalho says.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Forest_Rule:

even though it is a part of the game now, its still not nice to watch and pretty annoying, but I guess more and more people are doing it </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree, but the more officials are duped by it, and the less they protect players from physical play, the more it'll happen. It works both ways.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I've been thinking a lot about this recently and probably will open it up to a debate, he's right. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Doesn't make it right though, does it?

Oh and if Chelsea do bring in Ballack and get rid of Lampard, I don't think I'd be able to support Chelsea anymore. Losing Zola, failing to beat Viking Stavanger and missing out on the league in Vialli's first season because of a defeat to the Arse was bad enough, but to replace the World's best (assuming 'Dinho is a forward) midfielder with a second-tier Kraut (recommended by Robert Huth, no less)? That I can't put up with.

Adriano.

Defensively, imho, were pretty good. Im not sure who you'd want to replace our defenders for.

We need a striker like Adriano. Well, not like Adriano, just Adriano icon_biggrin.gif

Anyway, tonight, our season has been cut short icon_frown.gif Premier League should be a done deal, so if we can also win the FA Cup, its not a bad season at all. Though I really want the Champions League so badly icon_frown.gif

Archived