The Official Chelsea Premiership Champions Thread 2005/06

JoeyM

• Administrators

He's not serious, he's doing it for the sake of it.

and is bitter and stuff

um, team tonight? I'm thinking

Cech

Geremi

JT

Willy

Ferreira

Maka

Eidur

Lamps

Cole

Robben

Crespo/Drogba

makeshift back four since Derek and Bridgey aren't fit and neither is Ricky, maybe Johnson comes in and not Geremi, but that back line is how we finished against Fulham. Eidur was much impressive in the second half and Essien still has flu, and I really doubt SWP starts tonight. Last decision is which striker to inflict upon Citeh.

Come On

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrators

I doubt it, if JM 'drops' Cech the game after his most glaring error to date it'll show a lack of confidence in a goalkeeper otherwise proven to be one of the best in the business, and could cause more problems than it's worth. Carlo might start against Birmingham since it's a bit of a nothing game, but Cech's got to play tonight for me.

• Administrators

He's had one game there ffs icon_biggrin.gif

But yeah, there's a point there, it's the scene of his first domestic defeat and he'll be out to avenge it, so I expect us to hit our straps early and look to get out ahead by half time, putting the pressure on you to come back and hopefully expose Dunne and Distin to Robben on the counter.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Juni:

I doubt it, if JM 'drops' Cech the game after his most glaring error to date it'll show a lack of confidence in a goalkeeper otherwise proven to be one of the best in the business, and could cause more problems than it's worth. Carlo might start against Birmingham since it's a bit of a nothing game, but Cech's got to play tonight for me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Didn't thnk of that. Just seems like a game he would play Carlo in. Probably right about Brum.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bouncerboy13:

Are we still the only Premiership team not to have conceeded a goal against Chelsea since Jose took over? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A little unfair on us, we've played them about 57 times.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DeafParrot:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bouncerboy13:

Are we still the only Premiership team not to have conceeded a goal against Chelsea since Jose took over? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A little unfair on us, we've played them about 57 times. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

this season or last?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DeafParrot:

A little unfair on us, we've played them about 57 times. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good point icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MD:

How often is Ferreia likely to play from now on? I need to decide whether to swap him or Gary Neville for John Terry in one of my fantasy teams. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Swap Neville Chelsea win more often.

currently 3 points better off than this time last year lads, things are looking good icon_smile.gif

on the maniche rumour do you think we will need him? as eidur can do a very good job in the middle, diarra is an option for jose as is playing joe in the centre while rotating swp, robben and duffer.

Dont get me wrong maniche is a very good player but i would sooner us get him on loan for 6 months with a view to buy

The maniche deal is loan until the end of the season with a £5million option. You can't move JC at the moment as he is awesome, and Diarra is not up to it yet.

Maniche is another option with the boys going off to the ANC. Could do with a similar striker deal as well.

Oh by the way. 3 more points. Three defeats clear of anyone when they've caught their games up. Bring it on.

• Administrators

I'm gonna take a leaf out of the United thread and do my half season ratings:

Cech - Not as solid as you'd have liked in all truth. Is his usual commanding self but made errors against Blackburn and Fulham, and hasn't yet made any match winning saves. Has he needed to?6

Johnson - hasn't done much, but when he has he's hardly been bad.7

Carvalho - scored two goals this season, doubling his previous career Chelsea tally. He's been solid when he's played and done nothing wrong.8

Terry - fantastic. No high profile errors, maybe a bit lucky with handballs in that he plays with his hands out, but he's been a lion, a leader, and the heart of a very solid defence.8.5

Gallas - has impressed me no end. He's played everywhere in defence and has been so effective in all roles. Doesn't appear to have moaned either, and is just nearly unbeatable.9

Del Horno - yet to really shine. Can be effective going forward but hasn't done so and keeps claiming he's injured. Much to prove.5.5

Ferreira - Mr Dependable. Has cut out his habit of panicking in the area and giving away penalties and finally looks assured in his role. Nothing flashy, won't ever score, but doesn't lose position and is rarely beaten.8.5

Huth - Oh Robbie icon_frown.gif He's really not played well. There's promise, but he's so raw and is easily exploited. Clumsy, ball watching, lack of composure. He needs to turn it around before the WC squad is named.4

Geremi - I really like him. Has contributed 2 goals and has been versatile when needed.8

J.Cole - Our player of the season so far. 2005 has been his year. He started it by claiming a role in the team with Robben out and finished as one of the first names on every team sheet. Utterly consistant and dangerous performer, I'd not swap him for anyone right now.10

Duff - Hmm, he's underwhelmed but hasn't done much wrong. STILL to be convinced he can maintain fitness and strength long enough to be of proper use to us, but is alright nonetheless.6

Essien - Ah yes, El Dirty Cunto. He's made some bad tackles, but in footballing terms has been what we needed. He keeps it simple and effective but adds drive and steel, and lets people know he's there. More please.8

Makelele - same as ever. Finally got injured but thanks to Essien we were fine. He's just so good at what he does, there's nobody better.9

Robben - he's an enigma, but a fecking talented one. Had a spat with JM, didn't play for a while, was very very cold and his future was questioned. December then became his month. He's important right now, and is playing very very well, scoring goals too. Did so last year, maybe he likes it at this time of year.7.5

SWP - oh dear. icon_frown.gif4

Lampard - best midfielder in England without a shadow of a doubt. He's the second (?) top scorer in the league and is already around 15 in all comps, nearing 30 for the calendar year. Yet he's not played so well this season. He just gets it done, and there's more to come.8

Drogba - I said in the summer his second season would be better and he's proving it. On his day (Liverpool) he's unplayable, and off his day he still does enough to be of real use to us. Starting to feel he really likes the place.9

Gudjohnsen - boy I love him. He's ridiculously talented - vision, dribbling, passing, composure, he's nearly the perfect player. His versatility is amazing, he'll be needed for more roles when Drogba goes to Africa.8.5

Crespo - his goal vs Fulham told me more about him than anything else. His celebration, the way he took it, he wants to be here. And we want him. Fantastic, world class finisher.9

Unrated: Cudicini, Bridge, Diarra, C.Cole

Bring on 2006.

• Administrators

Apparently he was selfish and a show pony against Birmingham and nothing like he has been, summed up by trying to backheel it in at the end. Media will make too much of it, it's nothing major. JM's given him 4 days off (no coincidence he misses the West Ham away game eh?) and he'll come back and be expected to show a mature performance against Huddersfield I guess, as one of the leaders in a changed team.

Oh right - I didn't see the game but apparently he was clean through and passed the ball across to Crespo (who had an empty net?) but went on to take too long and fluff it up? Doesn't sound too selfish to me. But yeah, I didn't see the game so can't really comment.

• Administrators

Awesome icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

“Gérémi goes today. I have a great relation with Arturo, his manager is Portuguese. Geri deserves to go now. They didn’t qualify for the World Cup. The African Cup is very important for him.

“Drogba goes after Huddersfield. They don’t let him stay, but I don’t let him go before he has to go, so he goes on the 7th

“And Essien I think is not going. To do treatment is better to stay with Chelsea. He would be going for nothing.â€

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

\o/

Agree with most of your comments there juni. I have watched i think every game this season be it on the football first or the foreign channels i get now which show all chelsea games :p. Del Horno i believe you have under-rated a bit, i think hes been very strong defensively, wins most things in the air and isnt scared of tackling. SWP i can see leaving us at the end of the season possibly, i wouldnt be to bothered as hes been utter cr4p for us. Crespo is just the man, i dont think i have seen anyone do the type of smart runs that he does, neevr stops, always on the move to create an openig for himself and he really seems to love the fans, always applauding them when we sing his song, looking good so far. Juni whats your msn so we can talk Chelsea.

Lol, maybe he needs some more time to settle and get a few more games, but even when he has started he hasnt seemed to be himself, not really beating players at all, mis-controlling, give away a penalty, work rate is definately there at least.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Juni:

Because I've watched us this season? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

no need to answer like JM icon_biggrin.gif I have if not watched all your matches, I think I have watched enough on the telly live and in re-runs to question the big diffremces in your ratings...

Is your ratings based on what you should expect from them or just performance, as when you give Johnson a 7 who I thinks have looked very nervous when have played( 2 matches in the PL?) and del Horno( 15 games?) a 5.5 who looks ok, I just get a bit confuesd... icon_biggrin.gif

Woohoo, half-season ratings! Seriously, I should write for the Sun with my secret love for football analysis (like Homer eating tulips)...

Cech- Seems to have let a lot of his good press in the first season go to his head. Consistency and concentration has been way off, though there have still been some quality saves keeping his head above water. [6]

Cudicini- Had a few games where he's been as dependable as always. With Cech on the skids, unlucky not to get more games. [7]

Paulo Ferreira : Looks like he's overcome the occasional bouts of nerves which lead to a few mistakes (and penalties) last season. Very efficient, unspectacular- just what you need. [7]

G Johnson: Confidence looks to be at an all-time low. Despite clearly having the ability, he can't seem to play a game without making a blunder. [4]

Gallas: His performances this season have been superb and he deserves the centre back spot more than Carvalho. [8]

Huth: Shambles. German. Next! [4]

Terry: What can you say? Superb in almost every respect, though he needs to be careful where he leaves his hands when diving into a tackle. [8]

Carvalho: Solid and dependable, though he doesn't inspire the same sense of security and presence as Gallas in the centre. [7]

Del Horno: Superb early form seems to have dilapidated recently. Needs to get back on track and fast for when Bridge recovers. [6]

Geremi: Made the most of his limited time on the field, although whether he can keep up his form long enough to be considered a first team contender is questionable. [7]

Makelele: The arrival of Essien seems to have given one of our best players an even greater boost, his positional and anticipation talents are beyond question. [8]

Wright-Phillips: Would probably have fit in better at Arsenal on current form. [5]

J Cole: Quickly becoming on of the Premier League's best midfielders (alongside Gerrard, erm... Makelele, Lampard and Essien), his talent is finally being fulfilled. A fine demonstration of Mourinho's management skill (with special thanks to Gianfranco for picking him out as his replacement!) [9]

Essien: Had one extremely brief blip in form and has been guilty of some bad tackles, but overall has been so magnificent, he actually makes the tedious transfer battle feel worthwhile. [8]

Lampard: As shown in the somewhat slipshod performance against City, Lampard's biggest contribution is not his goals but what he does quietly. His passing range and accuracy are phenomenal, his work-rate untouchable and he inspires the team to levels of play which few other players in the world are able to do. Gerrard might have the passion to get himself noticed, but Lampard has the discipline (he's clearly taken a note from Makelele's book) of a true great. And he scores a lot, too. [10]

Duff: Had a quiet season by his usual high standards and looks a little short of fitness, but his ability still provides plenty of moments of glory. [7]

Robben: Rubbish start to the season, but improving steadily. Had an epic game against City, he still lacks Joe Cole's recently learnt teamwork but he's getting back to his best. [7]

Gudjohnsen: Since moving to the centre of midfield, his somewhat wayward finishing has been less of an issue and his standard of play has upped substantially. Still not ready for regular starts, but becoming something of a super-sub. [7]

Drogba: Blighted by injury and comedy finishing in his first season, he's finally showing his worth this time around- strong and deadly in the air, he makes a damn foo' out of the most reputable centre backs and though his control and diving could do with some improvements, he's becoming Chelsea's own Mr. T. Or Mr. D. Either way, pity the fool who thinks he can take on the Drog! [8]

Crespo: If Drogba's the sledgehammer, Crespo's the longsword. Pinpoint finishing, terrific skill and consistency have been highlights, though the fact that he's finally learnt English shows he might actually be settling in here. [8]

C Cole: Only given moments to impress, but on the odd time he's had opportunities (like 65-odd minutes against Portsmouth), he's been noticeable by his absence. He and SWP need to find some form and fast. [4]

THE GODS: Lampard, Makelele, J Cole

THE GOODS: Gudjohnsen, Essien, Drogba, Crespo, Terry, Gallas, Ferreira, Cudicini, Carvalho.

THE SUSPECTS: Cech, Gudjohnsen, Robben, Geremi, Duff.

THE ALSO-RANS: Wright-Phillips, Del Horno, Bridge.

THE NEVER RANS: Johnson, C Cole, Wright-Phillips, Huth.

Interesting thing on http://www.chelseafc.com there about shots on target. Lampard is miles ahead of anyone for us.

Shots on target this season 173

Lampard 47, J Cole 19, Crespo 19, Drogba 19, Robben 14, Duff 10, Essien 10, Gudjohnsen 9, Terry 9, Del Horno 4, Carvalho 3, Gallas 3, Wright-Phillips 3, Gérémi 2, Ferreira 1, Huth 1.

Not planning some sort of invasion we'd surely win, but I come in here to say how funny the SWP situation is. I don't knwo who's worse: you lot for pretending you want/need him ("but, but, but, if we have 3 injuries we don't have world class wingers in the reserve team to bring in!") or him for joining and not knowing he was flushing his career down the toilet for the time he's at Chelsea (i'll give it 12 more months, max).

Bye.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by benkeat:

you're wrong btw juni, lampard is no way better than gerrard, not talent wise, or on current form.

gerrard is the best centre mid in europe tbh, he's astonishing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats open for debate that is, Lampard is a better finisher imo, both around the same passing wise and Gerrard is a better tackler again imo. There is no clear winner tbh.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dee:

Interesting thing on http://www.chelseafc.com there about shots on target. Lampard is miles ahead of anyone for us.

Shots on target this season 173

Lampard 47, J Cole 19, Crespo 19, Drogba 19, Robben 14, Duff 10, Essien 10, Gudjohnsen 9, Terry 9, Del Horno 4, Carvalho 3, Gallas 3, Wright-Phillips 3, Gérémi 2, Ferreira 1, Huth 1. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah he has a 50% shots on target ration which is astonishing really - especially when you consider how far out he hits most of them from.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dee:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by benkeat:

you're wrong btw juni, lampard is no way better than gerrard, not talent wise, or on current form.

gerrard is the best centre mid in europe tbh, he's astonishing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats open for debate that is, Lampard is a better finisher imo, both around the same passing wise and Gerrard is a better tackler again imo. There is no clear winner tbh. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i dunno, lampard probably has a lot more shots on goal, gerrard is scoring freely this year. not much in it anyway.

as for passing, gerrard all the way, and tackling as you say.

gerrard running at players> fat frank trying to jog.

gerrard is just a frightening attacking player, unstoppable with the ball at his feet. and he's an awesome defender too. surely frank couldn't fill in at RB and completely quieten a player like serginho.

in my view, if the two players swapped clubs, lampard wouldn't be half the player he is now- well he wouldn't have been for the last two years anyway.

Nah Lampard's passing is amazing, his diagonal balls to our wingers regularly put us on the attack, one game springs to mind his 60 odd yard diagonal ball sent away SWP and his amazing cross was nodded in by Crespo against Betis. And we wouldnt really want Lampard filling in at right back anyway :p.

Nah Lampard's passing is amazing, his diagonal balls to our wingers regularly put us on the attack, one game springs to mind his 60 odd yard diagonal ball sent away SWP and his amazing cross was nodded in by Crespo against Betis. And we wouldnt really want Lampard filling in at right back anyway :p. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

well he couldn't anyway, not capable icon14.gif

Archived