The Official Chelsea Premiership Champions Thread 2005/06

JoeyM

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JulesMUFC:

Makekelele isnt a typical hard type midfielder tho, he doesnt need to be. Rarely do you see him flying into a 50:50 challenge, he just sits and plugs the gaps in their back line or if they are caught out giving a sly foul away to relieve the pressure. I wouldnt put him into the hard man midfield role at all, he just goes about his business effectively for the team. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

at last somebody who also knows what they are talking about! icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chelseablue P.I.:

He's solid. Nuff said.

And according to Lampard, has the biggest penis he's seen on a man. icon_biggrin.gif

My point is, that Disposable Razor, or whatever his name is said he was the softest player in the premiership. That's cack from an alleged season ticket holder. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What i actually said was that he is one of the softest midfielders in the premiership, and i stand by that 100%. Can anybody name a softer one? Wingers not included!

Been a season ticket holder for 6 seasons now.

I still don't see why we're after Essien:

GK: Cech, Cudicini, Pidgeley

RB: Ferreira, Geremi, Johnson

LB: Del Horno, Bridge

CB: Terry, Carvalho, Gallas, Huth

DMC: Makelele, Diarra, (Essien?)

MC: Lampard, Gudjonssen, Tiago, Jarosik, (Essien?)

AM L/R: Robben, Duff, SWP, J.Cole

SC: Drogba, Crespo, C.Cole

Wait a season, see if he has the same impact, see how Tiago and Jarosik do.

We'll probably get him slightly cheaper.

It won't disrupt a squad with the perfect balance imo (bar 1 right back too many), and already has 25 players (more than Mourinho likes).

And we can reassess whether to spend the money on him, or put it together with next summer's budget to buy a big-money replacement for Crespo (like Adriano).

It's just unnecessary.

No??

I personally would like to see us get Essien, but not really at the prices Aulas wants for him. He has already said that he would let him go for about £16m in a years time, so like you said this may be a better option.

We do have enough midfielders though i think Essien is a level above players like Jarosik and Geremi, possibly Tiago too.

You were right about your source at the Bridge saying that we would get SWP.

I agree he's a better player than Tiago and Jarosik (I don't see us playing Geremi in midfield anymore, he's become a right-back now for Mourinho).

But if we get Essien, I don't see Gudjonssen getting many games, unless we play him in a position that wouldn't bring out the best in him.

Assuming we stick to our 4-1-2-2-1, he wouldn't be, and wasn't, all that good as the sole striker, he won't be as effective as Duff, JC, SWP, AR in the winger-cum-attacking midfielder roles, which leaves him a bit lost.

Not to mention how little we'd use Jarosik and Tiago as Essien would be a fixture like Lamps and Makelele.

It would also be good to be sure about him - my french football knowledge isn't great, but I can't recall much being said about him the previous season, and don;t want to dive in with £30m based on 1 season - we've done that, it was risky and so far hasn't paid off - doesn't hurt to see if he can reproduce the form he did last year - especially since our squad is pretty complete as it is.

And further to a comment Juni made a couple of pages ago, Tiago may not have been great, but we were never disadvantaged when he had him in the side, unlike when we played Johnson or when we lost both Duff and Robben.

Essien would be good no doubt, but as JM says himself, squad unity, happiness and morale (helped if everyone is getting a decent amount of games) is paramount.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JonTheGTFCFan:

Joe Cole can also play that MC role.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That too.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Crespo hits out at Milan

by Nadia Carminati - created on 26 Jul 2005

Hernan Crespo has once more blasted Milan for not telling him of their reticence to agree a permanent transfer with Chelsea.

Crespo was labouring under the illusion that Milan would bring him to the club on a permanent basis after a successful loan spell from Chelsea.

However, the striker has now returned to his Premiership owners after the Rossoneri failed to agree a deal.

"Milan could have sealed my transfer but they didn't do it," pointed out the Argentina international.

"I have already put that bad moment behind me, but I didn't like that I had never been told that I wasn't going to be bought or continue at Milan.

"If I had known how it was going to end I wouldn't have felt so bad.

"I went away on holiday and everything seemed to be alright, but when I came back and knew that negotiations hadn't gone well I felt terrible.

"In February, Chelsea would have been delighted in selling me for a relatively small fee but Milan did not do anything to buy me and that bothered me."

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Apperently, Chelsea has made an offer of €84mln for Shevchenko. This would be the world record fee, by beating the €75mln that was paid for Zidane by Real Madrid.

This is written by french sportpaper L'Equipe, so its still just a rumour.

Shevva is a great player, but that good that he is worth €84mln? Although he wouldnt be the first player at Chelsea whos transfer fee is way out of proportion..

No chance we're getting Sheva.

And I'd be surprised if we ended up caving in to Aula's demands of £30m+ given that evertime we come close he just slaps on another £5m onto the price tag.

But then I'm surprised we're pursuing him so hotly, as I've stated several times on this page alone :-/

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JulesMUFC:

Also seems that Kenyon has gone to Lyon to secure Essien transfer for £30mill! icon_eek.gif

Chelsea getting ripped to shreds over transfer prices will let other teams around europe grow stronger. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Our £21 million comes in handy

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by nuts:

L'equipe is a well-respected newspaper iirc. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So are The Times/Independent/Guardian/Telegraph

Doesn't mean that they don't have ******** football transfer stories half the time.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JoeyM:

No chance we're getting Sheva.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Blues deny Sheva deal

by Paul Higham - created on 27 Jul 2005

Chelsea have issued a statement denying any interest in Milan striker Andrei Shevchenko.

Jose Mourinho's side have been constantly linked with a move for the Ukraine international all summer, but The Blues insist they are happy with the strikers they have.

Hernan Crespo and Carlton Cole will be given a chance this year by Mourinho, although reports on Wednesday had linked Didier Drogba or Crespo as part of a cash-plus-player deal for Shevchenko.

Stamford Bridge officials have reacted swiftly and taken the unusual step of releasing a statement insisting that they are not trying to sign Shevchenko, and are happy with the strikeforce they have.

Chelsea say that the only player they are interested in signing is midfielder Michael Essien, who should arrive from Lyon soon.

"It is club policy not to comment on speculation linking Chelsea to players," read the club statement.

"However there are continuing, and totally incorrect, reports regarding Andrei Shevchenko that only serve to unnecessarily destabilise those players already at Chelsea.

"The club has made it quite clear that we are seeking to bring in one more player, and we have also made it clear that this will be a midfield player, if it happens.

"We are not seeking to sign a forward and we have total confidence in those we have."

Chelsea's pursuit of Essien continues despite Lyon being reluctant sellers, but the African clearly wants to move to West London.

It will be hard to keep the player against his will and the French champions will soon have to accept the inevitable as Roman Abramovich's spending power again proves decisive.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Told ya.

What i actually said was that he is one of the softest midfielders in the premiership, and i stand by that 100%. Can anybody name a softer one? Wingers not included!

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fabregas

Bryan Hughes (may have left Charlton)

Claus Jensen

Carrick

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JonTheGTFCFan:

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fabregas

Claus Jensen

Carrick </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Id say they are all on par with Makelele.

Jensen - is a playmaker so tackling isnt a major part of his game, like Zizou

Carrick - is very similar to Maka in that he plays that DMC role, but his positional sense means that he doesnt need to go rushing in to tackles

Fabregas - you have to factor in his age + he actualy made a very filthy tackle against that dude from Sheff Utd

Hughes - havent seen enough of him to comment

For all you people who dont seem to fathem what i mean when i say Makelele is soft... Think back to 2003/04, Champions League Semi Final, 1st leg, vs AS Monaco (A)... That Greek midfield gives Makelele a clip round the ear, and Makelele goes to ground like a sack of spuds.

No your right, those are the actions of a hard/solid midfielder arent they! (can really see Keane, Gerrard, Parker doing that!)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bicks:

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fabregas

Claus Jensen

Carrick </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Id say they are all on par with Makelele.

Jensen - is a playmaker so tackling isnt a major part of his game, like Zizou

Carrick - is very similar to Maka in that he plays that DMC role, but his positional sense means that he doesnt need to go rushing in to tackles

Fabregas - you have to factor in his age + he actualy made a very filthy tackle against that dude from Sheff Utd

Hughes - havent seen enough of him to comment

For all you people who dont seem to fathem what i mean when i say Makelele is soft... Think back to 2003/04, Champions League Semi Final, 1st leg, vs AS Monaco (A)... That Greek midfield gives Makelele a clip round the ear, and Makelele goes to ground like a sack of spuds.

No your right, those are the actions of a hard/solid midfielder arent they! (can really see Keane, Gerrard, Parker doing that!) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This seems a bit of a pointless argument/conversation to me. Vieira who can also possibly be considered hard also dives around like a pansy. Drogba too, he is always pretending to be injured and goes to ground very easily, but he surely is still hard being built like a brick outhouse. You wouldn't really mess with him would you?

Anyway Maka is quality and that is all that really needs to be said about him. He may not be hard, but he can read the game better than most and still manages to hold off people nearly a foot bigger than him.

My definition of soft: "is scared of being hurt, and thus won't do what is necessary to win the ball"

Makelele is not that, therefore he is not soft. Simple.

Some people are still stuck in the 80s in Britain where "hard" is a big part of a holding midfielder, and they like to see people getting "stuck in".

Football's moved on people.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JoeyM:

My definition of soft: "is scared of being hurt, and thus won't do what is necessary to win the ball"

Some people are still stuck in the 80s in Britain where "hard" is a big part of a holding midfielder, and they like to see people getting "stuck in".

Football's moved on people. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Correct

Anyways, it seems like Mourinho has not given me any more reason to feel that Essien is a necessary additon. Roughly his reasoning:

He said something like, <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">"In defence, Baba left, and we replaced him with ADH. In the front line, Kezman left - even though he didn't play that much, and we have new players in Crespo, Big Cole, and SWP. Midfield is the only area we have not improved. We lost Parker and Smertin, and we only brought in Diarra, who is very good but still too young." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now, it's fair enough we need to improve our midfield, but it's not urgent, and it's certainly not £30m urgent. For more reasons see my post earlier this page.

As regards to his other reasons:

1) Parker wasn't playing all that much anyway.

2) We effectively "signed" a new midfielder when we started playing Gudjonsen there - he basically replaced Tiago, who replaced Parker (ie on the bench).

3) Smertin hardly got a look in the the last 3 months of the season when EG was playing there.

4) We were after Essien long before Smertin was off.

5) We will now have Mak, Diarra, Lamps, Jarosik, Tiago, Gudjonsen and Essien -7 players for 3 spots - in the area of the field where we have the most automatic 1st choices - ie Lamps and Mak will hardly ever be rotated, and at £30m, I doubt Essien will either.

So JM's reasoning has been quite easily been picked a part.

Someone comfort me?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lampers:

Jarosik isnt good enough...tiago has improved though. Gudjohnson isnt in his real position. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think Jose has decided that Eidur is best suited to being a midfielder and i think he's on to something. Eidur's finishing of chances when under pressure can be poor and in our 4-3-3/4-5-1 or 4-1-2-2-1 system whatever you want to call it he would be called upon to play as a lone striker highlighting another weakness in his game, jumping. Despite being over 6 foot tall he is almost always out-jumped and rarely wins a header.

However, he is great on the ball holding people off and turning into space and can pick out others with ease. He reads the game well and can see people making runs. He is also strong and can hold off people making runs through the midfiled complementing Frank. I think Eidur will now be a midfielder and Geremi a right-back. Glen Johnson seems as though he may be played at centre half which seems strange to me as he is poor at tackling, but good going forward. He should stay at fullback imo or be converted to a winger, though we already have enough of those.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lampers:

Jarosik isnt good enough...tiago has improved though. Gudjohnson isnt in his real position. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Given the 4-1-2-2-1 formation we nearly always play, it's the only position he CAN play for us imo. I agree naturally he's more suited to the second-striker role, but i thought he was ffb in the midfield for the last couple of months of last season..

Football's moved on people. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

OMG, this is going round in cirlces... the only reason this subject came up, was because somebody on here was harping on about how hard Makelele was... so i had to call him up cos he was talking $hit.

can i just clarify that i personally wouldnt change a single aspect of Makelele's game. He is perfect at what he does!!!

I think the only players who i would actually swap for Eidur as a midfielder would be Zizou or Ronaldinho.

If we were to play the Champions League final tomorrow i think i would start the following

Cech - undisputed no1

Ferriera - never has a bad game

Gallas - he partnership with JT is better than Cavalho's

Terry - captain fantastic

Bridge - havent seen enough of Del Horno in a Chelsea shirt to put him in

Gudjohnsen - for me our best player in the last month of the season

Makelele - the perfect DMC

Lampard - alongside Eidur our best player in the last month of the season

Duff - havent seen enough of SWP in a Chelsea shirt yet

Crespo - proven goalscorer, will score more than Drogba

Robben - from the 30 games or so we saw last season, we destroy teams with him in the side

players close to that starting 11

J.Cole - wouldnt think twice about putting him in anywhere - but what is his best position?

Cavalho - as good as JT and Gallas, just need to form a partnership

Drogba - play well, but just needs to improve his finishing

SWP - will prob force Duff out of the side eventually

DelHorno - likewise with bridge, will prob be better on the ball, and will give us extra options from set plays

Other than that i cant think of any players in our squad who will be pushing for starting places - or have i 4gotten anybody?

Your wrong about ferriera he has had a few bad games. The man city game where he gave away the penalty and the other game he gave away a penalty in. I love the bloke but i always cringe when he tackles inside the box hehe.

I could never see what Tiago could bring to the table that Scott Parker couldn't icon_confused.gif

Jarosik is fairly average but a decent squad player that won't mind spending time on the sidelines without crying in the press.

Smertin's ok but not Chelsea quality. Be interesting seeing him Charlton.

Ferreira - Conceeding a penalty doesn't automatically mean he had a bad game. It was prob the only thing he did wrong in the whole match.

Smertin - as far as Smertin being Chelsea quality... i would play him ahead of Tiago or Jarosik. I think he is an excellent midfielder and will prob be Charlton player of the season this year. But then im not Jose icon_wink.gif

Guest P.S.D

I'll do what Bicks has done.

GK:Cech: Looks amazing with that backline. Still top of the range keeper.

RB:Ferriera: better than Johnson and Geremi. Put together. Solid, Heinze of the right.

LB: del Horno: Kept a keen eye in all of the coveraged friendlies, GREAT tackler, good crossing, quality going forward.

CB: Terry: No explinaion needed.

CB: Gallas: Better partner for Terry than the big waste of money Carvalho.

DM: Makalele: holds the backline together. Diarra won't get to many games if he plays like he did last term.

CM: Lamps: See John Terry

CM: Gudjonsson: Love him collecting the ball and passing it off to the front man.

AMR: SWP: great talent, SO fast, made Nesta look like a sloth running with trousers round his ankles icon_rolleyes.gif

AML: Robben: Like SWP, can't wait to see these two together.

SC: Crespo: Has a habit of scoring goals. Hope he doesn't try to fix it. Proven goalscorer. Although this is the weakest part of the team.

Carvalho waste of money? Get real sunshine, over inflated price maybe, but its Chelsea. And did you watch any of the last third of the season? The guy was f*cking AWESOME.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chelseablue P.I.:

Carvalho waste of money? Get real sunshine, over inflated price maybe, but its Chelsea. And did you watch any of the last third of the season? The guy was f*cking AWESOME. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry,can't agree with that.

He was good, but not great, and looked a bit desperate at times, uncomposed etc.

Gallas is still head and shoulders above him in my book.

He'll undoubtedly improve this year though.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Atila Le Breton:

Well, according to french website "l-equipe.fr", Aulas has now decided that it'll take £30m plus one chelsea player to persuade him to sell Essien icon_biggrin.gif. He now plans on making a astronomic new contract offer to Essien. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Meh just give em 30 million plus Geremi/Jarosik

Joey, Carvalho's tackling was truly outstanding towards the end of the season, even 80-20 balls against he was winning. I think a more settled year this year, Jose knows who will start in defence.

Carvalho was a bit dodgy to begin with but came on stronger and more confident and looks like a quality signing.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by miller_merry:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Atila Le Breton:

Well, according to french website "l-equipe.fr", Aulas has now decided that it'll take £30m plus one chelsea player to persuade him to sell Essien icon_biggrin.gif. He now plans on making a astronomic new contract offer to Essien. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Meh just give em 30 million plus Geremi/Jarosik </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Naw, they'd probably just say "Well just take the 30m please"

Carvalho waste of money? Get real sunshine, over inflated price maybe, but its Chelsea. And did you watch any of the last third of the season? The guy was f*cking AWESOME. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry,can't agree with that.

He was good, but not great, and looked a bit desperate at times, uncomposed etc.

Gallas is still head and shoulders above him in my book.

He'll undoubtedly improve this year though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

hahaha you fool, carvalho was awsome for you last season

Archived