The Official Chelsea Premiership Champions Thread 2005/06

JoeyM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by shanyi:

Time for an Ocean's Eleven style heist, methinks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK, you assemble to most suave, super-cool people in the Chelsea thread into some sort of crime gang, and I'll get you in... as soon as the c*nting agency sort the job out...

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The £23 million figure banded about is acceptable for me to accept he's leaving.

Thanks for the cash </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Anytime. Tell us next time you come with the next great English prospect, we'll give you some more. You can spend it on Ian Walker!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by shanyi:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The £23 million figure banded about is acceptable for me to accept he's leaving.

Thanks for the cash </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Anytime. Tell us next time you come with the next great English prospect, we'll give you some more. You can spend it on Ian Walker! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We have James and young Schmeichel so we are in in that department

*Phew* you lot hadn't brought anyone for ages ! icon_razz.gif

Not sure how he'll fit in there ... Duff, Cole, Robben ... who is the starting 11 now you reckon ? Sticking with the one useless, over-priced loser up front ? Seemed to work better that way, well, that way when Robben was playing anyway ...

One man team and all that icon_wink.gif

Razzler,

Imo:

Cech

Ferreira

Terry

RC/Gallas

Del Horno

Makelele

Tiago/Gudjonssen (or if we buy him, Essien.)

Lampard

Robben

Duff/SWP

Drogba/Crespo.

The ones I've back-slashed I think are positions impossible to tell how Jose will decide who to play.

He's likely simply to alternate those based on the opposition, fitness (ie injuries), tiredness (has Crespo just flown back from S.America, or has Duff just played 120 minutes mid-week?) and other standard factors.

Of course some of the following may or may not force themselves into a starting place, although given what we know about their quality and Jose's preferences, it would appear highly unlikely:

Cudicini

Johnson

Huth

Bridge

Geremi

Jarosik

J.Cole

C.Cole.

we'll see.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Mourinho happy with squad

by Alex Livie - created on 12 Jul 2005

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho is happy Michael Essien wants to join The Blues, but says he would not lose any sleep if there were no more arrivals at Stamford Bridge this summer.

The Blues have been linked with a whole host of players this summer, but only Asier Del Horno has arrived so far - although Hernan Crespo and Carlton Cole have returned from loan spells at Milan and Aston Villa respectively.

A bid for Steven Gerrard failed to bear fruit after the midfielder opted to remain at Liverpool, while links with strikers Adriano, Andrei Shevchenko and Alberto Gilardino have gone cold in recent weeks.

Lyon powerhouse Essien set the rumour mill into full swing on Tuesday when stating his desire to move to Chelsea, but Mourinho would happily head into the new season with his present squad.

"The manager is the same, the players are the same and two or three new players is easy to implement into a special group," he said at a press conference on Tuesday.

"The most important thing is to keep my champions and I have done that.

"The ones who have left were not the most important players of our group, so when I look to this group who played an important role are still here, that is the most important thing.

"And if you can add some players to improve the quality, then great, and in this moment we have three - Del Horno, Hernan Crespo, I am pleased with this, and Carlton Cole - I decided to give him a chance and in the training sessions I am pleased with this.

"At this moment we have improvements."

Reacting to comments from Essien, Mourinho added: "I am happy when big players want to play for Chelsea, but I am not ready to speak about Essien or any other player as I only want to speak about Chelsea players.

"I am always happy when publicly different players say without fear that they admire Chelsea and would like to join the team."

The Portuguese coach says he would happily head into the new season with the players now on the books at Stamford Bridge.

"I am cool," he added. "I am happy with what I have, I don't need more. I have a good balance, all the positions are covered.

"We already have an improvement with Del Horno, Crespo and Carlton Cole.

"If during this two or three weeks before the end of the month we can get an extra player I will be pleased, but I am happy by keeping my players and that is the most important thing."

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Looks like Carlton Cole is not going anywhere, and that our striker search is officially over.

Worried that he suggests just the 1 further addition, as I have a feeling it would be Essien over SWP, and if we were to get just one I would rather it the other way around.

We'll see.

• Administrators

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">as I have a feeling it would be Essien over SWP, and if we were to get just one I would rather it the other way around </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why? Essien addresses a need, SWP doesn't.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Juni:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">as I have a feeling it would be Essien over SWP, and if we were to get just one I would rather it the other way around </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why? Essien addresses a need, SWP doesn't. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

See sometimes Phil does talk sense :*)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Juni:

Why? Essien addresses a need, SWP doesn't. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I disagree. Tiago may not be brilliant, but we never had any games where Essien would have necessarily made a difference.

There were however several games where our lack of width was apparent due to injuries, and SWP would add that extra spark of creativity which you can't just find round any corner.

I have no doubt Essien is a brilliant player, but with Cole and Gudjonsson who can play in the Tiago role quite efficiently, and the role itself not designed to do much except be tactical (ie track players, provide options etc) a world-class player there is not necessary.

Michael Essien is on his way to Chelski after his public outburst saying he wants a move to Chelski. Lyon will have to sell him now. I reckon that Chelski will offer a bit more than £17 million but the Lyon board are short of options as Essien wants to leave.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> José Mourinho says as far as is possible he will be using 11 players in each half in the first pre-season game at Wycombe tonight, Wednesday. The sold-out match is being shown live on Chelsea TV.

Asier Del Horno and, returning from loan, Carlton Cole, should be involved.

Ricardo Carvalho, who had a shoulder operation in summer, will not be risked, and Wayne Bridge, recovering from a double broken ankle, is not ready. Claude Makelele and Hernán Crespo have only just begun training this week and so the game is too early for them.

As a result José says he expects to use lots of youngsters. Amongst those who made their debuts last season and could figure tonight are defenders Nuno Morais and Steven Watt, and midfielder Anthony Grant.

Less familiar names who might enjoy an opportunity are 17 year old left-back Jonas Elmer, signed in the summer from Grasshoppers of Zurich and one who has trained regularly so far with the first team; 19 year old attacking wide man or midfielder Filipe Morais; and striker Phil Younghusband.

The reserves meanwhile have a first pre-season friendly at Hanwell Town, kick-off 7.45pm.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't know much about Essien (other than that he used to have Cantona posters on his wall) but 25m for a 22 year old Ghanian from Lyon? It's not like we're negotiating with Barcelona here. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

iirc Essien was Player of the Year in France

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">iirc Essien was Player of the Year in France </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So was Drogba, and then look what happened!

OK, a cheap shot (16 goals isn't too bad) but still. The French league is pretty basic compared to the Prem, we shouldn't be paying these sorts of prices even if the player did do well. What he was like in the Champions League would be a more effective barometer, but even then it's no guarantee. I think he'll come, especially if he refuses to go to Korea, and hopefully SWP will stay at Man City for another year because right now, I'd say he'd only be backup to Duff, and he needs to be playing regularly. Looking forward to reading what happens in the friendly tomorrow (in Japan, so it's 12am here), interesting to see what happens with the youngsters. Disappointed to not hear Joe Keenan's name, though. Come on Jose, give him a shot!

I think next season, Jose will play:

Cech

Ferreira, Terry, Gallas, Del Horno

Makelele

Essien, Lampard

Duff, Robben

Drogba

SUBS: Cudicini, RC, Tiago, JC, Crespo.

Jose's right, we don't need many more changes.

You seem to really like Keenan shanyi. I doubt he'll ever get a chance now as he is about 23 and we have better options already in his position.

Also i have read that Essien has gone to Korea with the squad. I still think we will get him though, probably at a hugely inflated cost. Kenyon is supposedly still negoiting with Aulas who is trying to get as much for him as possible, over the phone.

Anyone know the squad against Wycombe tonight? I ask as it's surprising Smertin isn't a 'done deal' as such, and if he isn't in your 22 or whatever it is tonight, it's clear he'll be off somewhere but if he's in it, it's possibly unlikely

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">You seem to really like Keenan shanyi. I doubt he'll ever get a chance now as he is about 23 and we have better options already in his position. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, I think I mentioned I saw him play in a friendly against Inter, as well as a few reserve games, and he was just terrific. Sadly, I think you're right though- another potential talent slipping through our fingers!

• Administrators

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Filipe Oliveira seals Marítimo move

Filipe Oliveira will finally be playing professional football in his native Portugal after signing a three-year contract with Marítimo.

The 21-year-old thus opens a new chapter in his career after serving his apprenticeship with English giants Chelsea.

Filipe Oliveira arrives in Madeira with four years’ experience at one of the world’s biggest clubs, where he rubbed shoulders with the likes of Zola (who he substituted to make his debut for the Londoners), Frank Lampard and Ricardo Carvalho, under the stewardship first of Claudio Ranieri, then José Mourinho.

Oliveira was unable to hold down a place in a team packed with stars costing millions of euros, making only sporadic appearances, but he feels he has learned a lot from day-to-day contact with players of such ability.

Oliveira said he was keen to seize this opportunity having matured during his time in England. He is looking to establish himself as a regular for the islanders and continue his development in Portugal’s under 21 team.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Filipe Oliveira seals Marítimo move

Filipe Oliveira will finally be playing professional football in his native Portugal after signing a three-year contract with Marítimo.

The 21-year-old thus opens a new chapter in his career after serving his apprenticeship with English giants Chelsea.

Filipe Oliveira arrives in Madeira with four years’ experience at one of the world’s biggest clubs, where he rubbed shoulders with the likes of Zola (who he substituted to make his debut for the Londoners), Frank Lampard and Ricardo Carvalho, under the stewardship first of Claudio Ranieri, then José Mourinho.

Oliveira was unable to hold down a place in a team packed with stars costing millions of euros, making only sporadic appearances, but he feels he has learned a lot from day-to-day contact with players of such ability.

Oliveira said he was keen to seize this opportunity having matured during his time in England. He is looking to establish himself as a regular for the islanders and continue his development in Portugal’s under 21 team.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

See ya Filipe. He was damn fast. Obviously not playing tonight then. Interested to see Elmer and Younghusband against Wycombe. Hopefully Sinclair too (Scott not Frank), but doubt it. Talking of Frank Sinclair, Andy Myers is gonna play tonight for Wycombe. icon_cool.gif

Wycombe: (4-4-2) Talia (Williams); Senda (Lee), Williamson (Nethercott), Johnson ©, Easton; Betsy (Anya), Burnell, Bloomfield (Griffin), Oakes; Tyson (Dixon), Mooney (Martin).

Chelsea starting team: (4-3-3) Cudicini; Johnson, N Morais, Terry © , Del Horno; Gudjohnsen, Grant, Jarosik; J Cole, C Cole, Duff.

Referee: Paul Taylor.

Crowd: 10,000

Environment: 7-45pm kick-off. A hot midsummer’s evening, perfect except for playing football.

Kit: Wycombe — white shirts, white shorts and socks; Chelsea — black shirts, silver shorts, black socks.

First-half.

Kick-off: Chelsea.

13 Shot: Gudjohnsen is the first on target in the game with a free-kick that curls round the right of the wall but into the keeper’s grasp.

14 Attempt: Gudjohnsen lifts the ball over the keeper but defender Johnson scoops clear, atoning for a sloppy ball that allowed Carlton Cole and Duff to create the opening.

15 Save: Cudicini is down sharply to palm away Tyson’s low shot.

21 Shot: Gudjohnsen strikes Duff’s low centre sweetly but Talia saves in style.

29 Goal: Duff drives low Carlton Cole’s square ball and this time Talia’s contact is not strong enough to keep it out.

32 Goal: Carlton Cole slams in the ball after he himself had headed a Duff corner against the bar. The rebound was headed back to the returning striker by Gudjohnsen.

Stoppage time: 1 min.

Half-time: Wycombe 0 Chelsea 2

Second-half.

Team: Cech; Ferreira, Johnson (Watt), Gallas, Elmer; Tiago, Jarosik, Lampard; J. Cole (P Younghusband), C. Cole (F. Morais), Robben.

Kick-off: Wycombe

49 Shot: Jarosik’s powerful 20 yarder is tipped over the bar.

56: Substitutions: Griffin for Money, Martin for Bloomfield.

59: Goal: Griffin, only just on, climbs high to head in a left-wing cross by Easton.

60: Goal: Robben streaks away from the defence onto a throughball from Tiago and finishes with ease.

62 Substitutions: F Morais for C Cole. J Cole moves to the centre of attack. Stonebridge for Oakes.

66 Substitutions: Watt for Johnson, Dixon for Tyson, Anya for Betsy.

70 Goal: Jarosik sweetly volleys in at the far post after Robben destroys the Wycombe right-back and crosses.

72 Substitution: Phil Younghusband for Joe Cole.

74 Substitution: Lee for Senda.

77 Substitution: Williams for Talia.

81 Save: Cech makes his first save, low down to Martin’s shot.

85 Goal: Jarosik is supplied by Robben again, this time down the middle and he cracks a low shot inside the post.

Stoppage time: 2 mins.

---

That's from the Chelsea website, sounds like Carlton had a stormer. I knew as soon as he pulled on that shirt he'd be a different player- although to be fair, it is Wycombe, not Arsenal we're talking about. Sounds like Jarosik did OK, Joe Cole had a day off and Del Horno, from the official match report, missed a good chance but also put in a few good crosses. Nuno Morais made another bad error, apparently, which doesn't exactly further endear me to him. Good to see a lot of the backup players impress.

I'll just give my opinions on last night's match, which ended the football drought:

Yep C. Cole did have a stormer. He linked up well with J. Cole too and looked a lot more pacey than i remember. He got in some good positions and worked hard. I guess he knows that Chelsea is his final chance and it is the club he really wants to play for, saying thta hes not 22 for a couple of months yet.

Del Horno also looked comfortable, both on the ball and off it and it seemed to me as though he will get a decent number of goals during the season. He played a good ball to Duffa on the wing and then followed it in to the back post where the ball just passed by him. He alos had a few headers, one which in a competitive match you would expect to score.

Anthony Grant made one great challenge to deny a goalscoring opportunity and looked comfortable in midfield whilst he was on. Other than that Robben looked virtually unstopabble scoring one and creating more, tearing apart their defence. Tiago played some good balls, particualrly the through ball for Arjen's goal. JT and Lamps did virtually nothing of note whilst not putting a single foot wrong, except for one long range effort that Frank had tipped over the bar.

In the first half Cralo made a superb save from Nathan Tyson who to me seems too good for League 2. Glen Johnson and Willy Gallas should have dealt with the cross which resulted in their goal, Big Pete was not at fault as it was virtually unstoppable. Jiri played well mopping up a la Maka from in front of the defence and scored two decent goals and almost scored another from outside the box.

All in all an enjoyble game that has made me more excited about the upcoming season. I just hope now we can sort out any remaining transfers before going to America nd preferably before the Benfica game on sunday so the squad can stay as close as it already seems. I like the fact that it is virtually the same set of players.

icon_cool.gif

Hey blue, were you at the match or did you watch it on Chelsea TV? Sounds like Chelsea played pretty well, can't wait until the Benfica game when we should have more first teamers (Maka, Crespo, Drogba...) lining up. Interesting to see what formation and players Jose goes with.

On a sort of half related note, Houllier has now said that Essien might go to Chelsea next season, which was pretty damn stupid of him since now Chelsea know they're willing to sell and only holding out for more money (as opposed to genuinely wanting to keep him). Aulas, the Lyon chairman, supposedly values him at 30m (!!!!) but Chelsea, good for them, are refusing to go over his 'market value', which I suppose must be in the 20m region. Interesting to see if this one goes through, and still no news on the supposedly imminent SWP deal.

Also, just came back from the Sony building (Tokyo) where I played PES (only about the third time) and beat AC Milan 3-1. Good signs!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">No i wasn't at the match unfortunately. I could easily have got tickets, particularly as my uncle is mates with the Wycombe chairman, but for some reason i didn't bother. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pity. Still friendlies are never as atmospheric as real matches so it's not so bad. Probably better on CTV, in fact. I remember going to the Zola testimonial last season, it was pretty quiet until the Great Man came on, then it erupted. Fantastic experience, hope he comes back as a coach once he's had his 'rest' (c'mon Franco, you can't stay away forever!).

Shanyi - don't look into the friendlies for signs of Jose's first choices and prefererred formation. Kezza was fb and started most of the pre-seasons last year, but from game 1 was on the bench and regarded as 2nd choice.

He's likely to be more concerned with getting players match fit, and trying out some players in certain positions so that he doesn't have to risk those kind of things in competetive games.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">No i wasn't at the match unfortunately. I could easily have got tickets, particularly as my uncle is mates with the Wycombe chairman, but for some reason i didn't bother. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pity. Still friendlies are never as atmospheric as real matches so it's not so bad. Probably better on CTV, in fact. I remember going to the Zola testimonial last season, it was pretty quiet until the Great Man came on, then it erupted. Fantastic experience, hope he comes back as a coach once he's had his 'rest' (c'mon Franco, you can't stay away forever!). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah i went to that too. Was disappointed that he didn't play the whole match though, he only played about the last 15 or 20 iirc. Can't wait for the Wigan game now as i'm not going to the Community Shield.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Can't wait for the Wigan game now </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I heard that game might be cancelled because of policing problems or something. Still, let's hope not or it's more fixture congestion- all David Dein's fault, of course!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Can't wait for the Wigan game now </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I heard that game might be cancelled because of policing problems or something. Still, let's hope not or it's more fixture congestion- all David Dein's fault, of course!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't know what the latest is, but I'm certain the game won't be cancelled, just that its a possibility of being played behind closed doors, I'm sure they will sort it all out well before though.

We have signed the "NEW MAKELELE"

Im glad we have signed a player who is regarded as the next makelele. Someone who can play in his position and truely look to replace him when he retires. Seems a good buy in my opinion.

From Sky Sports News:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Chelsea have agreed a deal with Le Havre for midfield prospect Lassana Diarra.

The 20-year-old is to clinch a dream switch to Stamford Bridge and become the second of Jose Mourinho's summer buys.

Le Havre were at pains to point out that Chelsea acted very professionally throughout the negotiations and they are pleased that Diarra is joining the Premiership champions as it represents such a great opportunity for the player.

Diarra played for France in the summer Under-20 tournament against England in Toulon and talks have been continuing for some time between the two clubs.

The Paris-born youngster can also play in defence and has previously attracted interest from Nantes.

No transfer fee has yet been disclosed but it is claimed that Mourinho was personally impressed with the Le Havre starlet and moved to add him to his squad ahead of the new season, when Chelsea will defend the Premiership title.

Even though Diarra has been playing at Ligue 2 level, he is highly regarded within France and is viewed as the next Claude Makelele. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just watching Eurosport, and the commentator for the Spurs match mentioned Essien has been injured in the Peace cup and is out for three months, apparantly a horror tackle. Might scupper a move for him, at least for now. Cant find any linkage atm.

Our youth team kicks R&D ass. icon_biggrin.gif

Five second-half goals in the first pre-season friendly of the year brought the youth team a handsome victory at Cobham this morning, Saturday.

The scrappy first-half finished 1-1. Academy manager Neil Bath said: “I think they struggled to adjust to the diamond shape in midfield.â€

The five front players — both sides of the diamond and the head of it plus the two strikers — were all substituted, and in the second-half there was a better balance. Neil explained: “They handled the shape better and the pace of Scott Sinclair and Shaun Cummings really stretched Rushden.â€

Ricardo Fernandes, a summer signing from Sporting Lisbon playing on the right of the midfield diamond, put Chelsea ahead, but Rushden equalised after a defensive muddle.

Sinclair and Cummings both scored twice in the second-half and holding midfielder Liam Bridcutt hit the best goal with a curling left-footed free-kick into the top right-hand corner.

A couple of schoolboys came on during to make it a very young Chelsea side. Neil was delighted. “I’m very pleased that in the first game of the season we look as though we’re going to be scoring goals, an area we struggled in last year.â€

The next friendly is at home to Reading next Friday. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MickE:

Just watching Eurosport, and the commentator for the Spurs match mentioned Essien has been injured in the Peace cup and is out for three months, apparantly a horror tackle. Might scupper a move for him, at least for now. Cant find any linkage atm. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I heard that, but then he said he'd got sent off icon_confused.gif

Those commentators wfs anyway

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Hanwell Town Reserves 1 Chelsea Reserves 7

Thursday, Jul 14, 2005

Hanwell Town Reserves 1 Chelsea Reserves 7

Joe Keenan, returning from 18 months on loan at Westerlo in Belgium, and Jimmy Smith both scored twice in the reserves’ first pre-season friendly this year on Wednesday evening.

Coach Mick McGiven (pictured) was delighted. “Joe Keenan was outstanding and rounded off the best goal of the night, a four man passing move which left Joe through with the goalkeeper, and even on his right side he couldn’t miss this one.†Joe proudly responded by noting that he scored both his goals with his right foot.

Smith played an even more advanced role than usual, and it worked because he didn’t score once last season. But with the absence of a recognised forward, he and a triallist revolved the front role, both often vacating space for others such as Keenan to run into.

“Without Steven Watt, Nuno Morais, Filipe Morais, Anthony Grant and Phil Younghusband who were all with the first team, we managed to put out a team which carried on the traditions of this club,†said Mick.

Keenan won a penalty from which Smith got his first. Two triallists scored, and the other goal was a well worked move with left-back Joe Tillen finishing it off.

Hanwell’s goal came at 6-0 when a loose Mancienne pass was taken advantage of.

Mick concluded: “It was a good work-out on a good pitch. The boys deserve every credit for the way they approached the game, their performances and their goals.

“We go to Le Havre on Monday for five days of training and possibly play a game against local opposition.†</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good results all round. icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by beffrey:

But Keenan is what, 23? 24 now? I'm suprised he's still with us.

Let's give him to Brntford or QPR for a year. icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lets just sell him or give him to a feeder club. I really enjoy seeing our youngsters coming through because it proves we have our own talent to growing. But i just think it is going to very hard for any youngster/reserve to get a chance at our club. I dont like the fact that they are just getting chucked from club to club every season...like CC or MF. Surely the players would prefer to play at a club were they know they can prove their ability and get a game week in week out.

Archived