FM18 Midsomer Flat 442 Knap

Midsomer works amazing, I use it for Betis and in first season of CL I got to final which I lost against Tottenham. My striker did not shot 2 penalties in first half.😬

Sometimes against hard away matches I lost different  3 or 4 goals. Do you have any advice to protect such results? 

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For me TMs do not work,  MIDSOMER P103 is the top 442 but The Crunge and GOODBYE 442 vary the front 2. However I do not bother about fitting players to roles and you will be lucky to find any green circles in the test squads.

I only look for best players I can find for positions.

GK

FB/WB with pace

CB

MR/ML with pace

MC AM

MC DM

AMR/L with pace (not specifically needed for 442 but can play MR/L or ST)

ST with pace

8 hours ago, knap said:

I only look for best players I can find for positions.

GK

FB/WB with pace

CB

MR/ML with pace

MC AM

MC DM

AMR/L with pace (not specifically needed for 442 but can play MR/L or ST)

ST with pace

Happy days, so basically you value pace over most things. For the MC positions, you have the BWM is the defensive minded player and the CM is the attack minded?

Thought I'd finally sign up to the site so I can feedback on my experience... currently 12 seasons in to a file having won the league in every major league (Spain, Italy, France, Germany and England... (eventually). I would like to give you feedback:

I found that different leagues have generally different formations, the hardest for me by far was England as the AI 4-2-3-1 makes playing a 4-4-2 much more challenging. I absolutely walked Italy, the 4-4-2 is so powerful there, similarly when I got the Madrid job, I broke every record there was to break. I used your 4-4-2 volante pretty constantly, but my spell in Germany was the first time I really struggled to dominate. I ended up setting for the 4-4-2 Midsomer at home, which has proved constantly unbeatable. From version 18.2.2 to the newest, I think I have gone almost 4 seasons with only wins at home across several clubs (before England). This it still the tactic I use, now the MM 18.3.3. 

Away, I was always okay, but it required me to move to England to really start concerning myself with this. Eventually I settled on your newest 4-4-2 MM Volante away. and this has worked wonders. I do however find if I play against anyone with advanced inside forwards, I instantly drop my wing backs to defend and that is enough to see out a game. The only thing left for me to win now is international cups, I have won domestic cups every season since I started, but have never found glory in europe, no matter what formations I use.

Thank you for all of the tactics, allowing me to experiment! I hope this feedback provides useful.

In that the game is completely random from one save to the next. 

Had a base start save with Spurs since 18.3.3 has come out to test tactics with, always using default squad with only signing being several youth back up players. Had best 1st season with Spurs with this tactic compared to any other tactics, 94 points, champions league final (lost to Barca but only had 9 men for a large part of it) and the team were playing like Brazilian gods. 

Took your advice that pace was key so signed Alaba & Sergi Roberto to replace Rose & Aurier and Dybala to replace Sonny up top in second season and the team is nigh on unbeatable  

Thought right, here we go, time for a long term save, started new game with Spurs, again using default squad for 1st season and now they can’t string a pass together! Results are so hit and miss it’s completely frustrating!

it almost explains the varying results on the Mr L Testing!

I was messing about today and you can still win without playing any CBs.

You an change the not stringing a pass together to one variable. Change that and they are back to superstars.

19 hours ago, knap said:

I was messing about today and you can still win without playing any CBs.

You an change the not stringing a pass together to one variable. Change that and they are back to superstars.

Any suggestions on potential variables!?!?

The original FM16 FM18 Tactic is on counter. Counter is just a risk setting and this year more risk tends to work better and counter should be re named lower risk.

1 hour ago, wong said:

is it essential that everyone is on tackle harder? getting crazy amount of yellow and red cards

If a player gets a yellow card, tick "ease off tackles" on his PI. If the player is BWM (they have fixed "tackle harder" PI), change him to CM and tick every PI as BMW has + ease off tackle.

If a player gets a red card, issue a warning after the game.

Hey knap, was the original midsomer tactic 103pts was tested with Counter mentality as well? Is that why the posts were at Mr. L's forum that there is a difference of a 100 points between the 2 versions?

Also, with this one (Counter mentality original with WMs), which tactic do you recommend to supplement? I am playing Barcelona currently. I feel there should be another tactic (apart from SUS), which should be deployed for Champions League AWAY games, or the Cup finals. Please suggest.

I was thinking of using 442 Volante Anchor. But that one has Attacking mentality.

With MU I have played CL Finals using BLACK NIGHT 451 and RAW SIENNA 4231 and 424 and won them all.

I have not found counter mentality to work that well this year as P&P.

When moving away from P&P then a more adaptive approach can be used by game managing. I have often used a full SUS for hard away games. There is no need to use a full SUS but maybe just limit FB runs.

Perhaps the ideal away set up is Highly Structured counter tactic.

Volante Anchor is a White Europe tweak and I've not had good test results, so using Anchor or Counter mentality is a more an approach in practice than testing.

3 at back is now a goto defensive formation and there is a flat back 5 MIDSOMER tactic, the other defensive formations that should work are 4141 or 451/41221

Maybe a 451 Highly Structured counter tactic would be best for hard away games.

Attacking should work better for a top team, although you can win PL and EC with MU on counter.

Mentality may be working like FM 17 when going defensive to look after ball better can crack tight defences.