FM18 WOF 343 Knap

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Been using the 18.3.3 WOF343P101 version for a couple of campaigns with Oxford. I switched around a lot experimenting in my first campaign to test tactics, then started again using this version exclusively.

Oxford starts in BET L1, not very high expectations. Not a large transfer budget, I used most of it to get the best Keeper I could find and afford, and a striker I like (Lyle Taylor.) After the team gels a bit, if anything this tactic is feeling a bit overpowered! We finished the first season having taken the top spot and never falling off of it. Perhaps 3 losses all season, including one odd one mid season against a very weak team. But we just win. It's not unrealistic to a fault, though we did tie a Premier League team in the FA Cup but then in a replay lost 4-1 to them.

However, after one season we made it to the Championship League, and I worry that we're going to easily win this and end up in the Premier League! I suppose that's a good problem to have, LOL! I play in Attacking for the beginning of the match if at home and favored, if it looks to be a more challenging match I'll drop back to Control. But even in a tight match with a small lead against a good team, with say a minute left and a one goal lead, if I drop back to Defend we still show the potential to break away and score.

The biggest issue I have is finding decent Wing Backs. It seems to be VERY challenging to find Wing Backs for this formation.  I often end up very thin in that position and if my starter is hurt or tired, playing someone "out of position" in that role.

9 minutes ago, knap said:

Can try re training a winger with good defensive attributes.

I do that (FMT FWIW) and I've also found that I am able to put a player with good attributes in that role and get really good performance, in spite of having a red out of position marker. I've got a player who is a top notch center midfielder who I have in the right wingback position, subbing for my injured starter, and he's gotten a couple of POM results. He's not necessarily ideal for the role per classic FM role identification, and I doubt he'll end up with his retraining at more than "competent" but can't argue with results.

Of course, it also hurts that I can't find a scout with anything more than mediocre PA and CA judging abilities. ;)

Archived