Player descriptions - 'young' and 'promising'

li-on

Hi guys,

I've searched the forum and am surprised I couldn't find anything on this. I remember in past games that a young player described as 'promising' has a good PA (not wonderkid-like, but a good PA nonetheless). However, in my current FM08 game, I cheated a bit by using Genie Scout to check out some 'promising' players I was interested in and was surprised to find their PAs were quite low (130-150). Does this not apply anymore?

Thanks

The description has very little to do with how the player turns out as far as I know. Sometimes, if a youngster suddenly has a rapid increase in stats, he might just have a change of description. Also, in these cases, you'll see your assistant managers opinion about the youngster change as well. If the assistant's view was "should look to offload", it just might change to "potential to be a decent player".

So yeah, I wouldnt read too much into the description.

Hi arsenal_2111

It was definately in the game. That's why 'promising' players were so much rarer than 'young' players.

I wasn't doubting it was in, just saying that IMO it is a bit stupid, sort of gives it away!

Now the only description that people care about for good young players is 'Wonderkid' TBH.

• 2 weeks later...

I am playing as QPR at the moment, and hired Steve Gritt (Charlton) as my Ass Man at start of season.

Maybe this guy can help solve (or give you some peace of mind) for the above, he will always come to me and report about that young player and that young player. Most often he will let you know whether that young player and that young player is ready for more first team action. (Which I don't find in other Ass Man in other clubs).

I don't care much about young players stats or description, if we train & play him enough, he could change from decent > good > quality > potential to be key > key member of first team squad. (depending on his PA of course)

Young players with decent stats could be my "obedient" back-up players, but if their stats is really really low, I will definitely offload them, I usually free transfer them even some senior reserves players if they complain too much about not playing! :)

And I notice in my previous Birmingham save, that if you frequently free transfer young players that you do not want...you will have young players with better stats (@ age 15, 16) in the new intake...

Did you guys notice this or is it just me who is slow??! :)

Archived