The Return of the Manchester United Thread v1.3 - The Future Starts Hereâ„¢

foobR

• Replies 17k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

Isnt Ronaldo only on £14k a week so why would we pay Djemba more? (Probably on £40k Double D) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Because Cristy was only signed as 'one for the future', while DjDj was going to be Keane's replacement (*guffaw* *snort* /o\)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ACou2000:

Yeah but as Keane is still playing... Djemba was pretty much one for the future too. He's only 22 or something isn't he?

tbh I'd be disappointed if we're paying much more than 20k/week for him. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

He's 24 in May. He's just a year younger than Gerrard. :|

Hmm, well my all-time favourite XI would be:

Schmeichel

Heinze

Stam

Rio

Neville G

Sharpe

Keane

Scholes

Kanchelskis

Cantona

Solskjaer

But in terms of the best XI I can think of:

Schmeichel

Irwin

Stam

Rio

Neville G

Giggs

Keane

Scholes

Beckham

Cantona

Van Nistelrooy

And followed by a second XI of:

Barthez

Heinze

Bruce

Pallister

Parker

Sharpe

Robson

Ince

Kanchelskis

Hughes

Solskjaer

So many players in the seocnd XI who have a valid shout to be in the first XI. Robbo only misses out because it's probably fair to say that I was too young to appreciate him when he was at his best. Not to mention that the '99 midfield four were just an awesome unit, the best midfield in Europe for 2/3 years. And it's maybe slightly biased to have Ole as the fourth striker, ahead of Cole, McClair, Yorke, Sheringham, Saha, Smith, Forlan, but I don't really care icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by player_65:

from Red News

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>[12] Fergie when asked if Chelsea can be bigger than us

Wednesday, January 26, 2005

"That's the most stupid question I've heard this year. You should be apologising for even asking it."

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

Toure didnt contest his ban so its confirmed he misses the game against us on Tuesday. icon14.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>icon14.gif if we win that will be the exuse for the arse fans though

I didnt think Howard had a bar game apart from Duffs goal ffs.

Thats ****ed me off, Chelsea werent the better side but we looked shaky at the back. Silvestre + Rio had one of their worse games ive seen in a while. Keano wasnt himself.

But i thought Ronaldo has gone on from his performance against Villa and really impressed tonight, i didnt see him give the ball away once. And apart from the scuffed freekick and the shot just after looked like a menace all night.

What a goal from giggsy tho. Goals like that deserve to win matches.

I think tonight might have clinched the fact we need a new keeper. Mistakes this season and lots of them from both Howard and Carroll. I want a dominating Cech figure who owns the area and isnt in two minds every time a ball is crossed into the area.

Anyway i'm gutted with tonights result. And i think Chelsea might well do the quadruple this season. icon_frown.gif

I think tonight might have clinched the fact we need a new keeper. Mistakes this season and lots of them from both Howard and Carroll. I want a dominating Cech figure who owns the area and isnt in two minds every time a ball is crossed into the area.

Anyway i'm gutted with tonights result. And i think Chelsea might well do the quadruple this season. icon_frown.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_frown.gif if they do it will never beat are treble as we earnt it

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RedBlood:

Anyway i'm gutted with tonights result. And i think Chelsea might well do the quadruple this season. icon_frown.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_frown.gif if they do it will never beat are treble as we earnt it <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

lol.

I cant see them winning the CL, we are still in the FA cup. And when we get Ruud back im sure we wont finish empty handed this season.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by foobR:

I still don't trust Silvestre <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree, he just didnt look at the races tonight. I didnt think Rio was particulary solid tonight either. Put Heinze CB and give JOS the Galatico beater on the left for a while.

Fk it put Heinze up front. ghifb.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JulesMUFC:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by foobR:

I still don't trust Silvestre <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree, he just didnt look at the races tonight. I didnt think Rio was particulary solid tonight either. Put Heinze CB and give JOS the Galatico beater on the left for a while.

Fk it put Heinze up front. ghifb. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Clone GH 10 times and put him everywhere. icon14.gif

GHiffffffffb.

Fortune LB

TYVM goodnight <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, just no. He is a much better player not at left back, he just doesnt have any height. Although works hard, his defensive sense isnt the best. United at the bridge first day of the season when he totally mis judged the ball and chelsea scored from it.

Howard did really well tonight, I didn't get a good view of him for Duff's goal though. However Cech came out too early at least 3 times, one which became the goal. He's a quality keeper, but he's not perfect, and Howard did just as well as him tonight.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ericcantona7:

Howard did really well tonight, I didn't get a good view of him for Duff's goal though. However Cech came out too early at least 3 times, one which became the goal. He's a quality keeper, but he's not perfect, and Howard did just as well as him tonight. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dont get me wrong i think Howard is a good keeper and he was great tonight minus the Duff goal.

what we need is

1) wingers who can cross

2) players who can take corners

3) 442 (the 451/433 may work with Ruud, or without him against smaller teams but we can't create chances against the top teams without Ruud i.e Saha can't play with his back to goal, he can't turn on the ball either, he needs flick ons from a partner)

forget defence and GK, they're not our main problems, it's the supply to the strikers.

i actually think rio was poor tonight, silvestre was certainly better than him imo. scholes was very quiet as well. gutting end to the game, i really thought we'd go on and win it and the fact that fergie loses the record to an already arrogant chelsea side makes it hard to swallow. the atmosphere was brilliant at ot though which was quality, especially in the second half.

if any good is to come from this game though it should be the realisation by fergie that we need to work much harder on both attacking and defending set pieces. i was saying to the guy next to me in the last 10 minutes that if chelsea win the game it will be thanks to a set piece and i was proved right. we had several free kicks and corners but we never seem to have a clue what to do, whereas chelsea have continually won matches thanks to the odd set play.

but oh well, worthless cup and all that.

err..while i agree ghifb, i think some people need to look more closely at players rationally from game to game rather than by name because tonight heinze was pretty average at best. how many times did he lose possession/get skinned by duff? lets keep things sensible.

Everyone in the media is saying that Howard was at fault for the goal and should of come out for it. If he had come out for it and Gudjohnson had headed into the net, he would of been blamed aswell. The thing is these media people are the same people who were praising Howard as the next Schmeichel last season. No mention of the three World Class saves he made during the second half.

TMCFOAD!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pjburrage:

Everyone in the media is saying that Howard was at fault for the goal and should of come out for it. If he had come out for it and Gudjohnson had headed into the net, he would of been blamed aswell. The thing is these media people are the same people who were praising Howard as the next Schmeichel last season. No mention of the three World Class saves he made during the second half.

TMCFOAD! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can think of 2 decent ones, one from a Lampard shot that was at a nice height, and the one he kicked away that was a good save from Robben. Certainly not "world class" though. Which was the third?

I agree on the goal, i think it was one of those difficult ones where it's extremely hard for the keeper, due to having to decide whether to stay in case someone gets a touch, or go assuming they don't. However, i think the criticism has come because he did nothing, and indeed he appeared frozen on (behind icon_wink.gif) his line. Personally, i'd rather he do something positive than do nothing. Had he come forward to punch, he could possibly have got there before any potential touch by a forward. I don't think it was in any way a howler, though. More a "could do better".

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gonch19:

err..while i agree ghifb, i think some people need to look more closely at players rationally from game to game rather than by name because tonight heinze was pretty average at best. how many times did he lose possession/get skinned by duff? lets keep things sensible. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I quite agree. I think people who dive into tackles are often fans favourites, and sometimes things like that can get a team or crowd going. However, it does leave him open to being skinned from time to time. I think his enthusiasm means he gets let off for failings that would be looked at more closely in other players. I also worry about the amount he's started to use his arms when defending the ball or tackling opponents. He did it again tonight in the first minute, and i think it's going to end up getting him into trouble.

I was also a bit concerned by Silvestre's performance. He did some good things, the tackle when Heinze had been skinned being the best, but he also seemed asleep at times. He was at fault for the first goal by not reacting anywhere near quickly enough to the run of Lampard (although the midfield were culpable as well), and he was lucky that Drogba fouled him when he dwelt on the ball when last men. He generally just looked out of sorts. Rio wasn't at his best, but i thought he looked better than Silvestre.

Definitely not one of ghfib's best games last night, was often caught too far up field when we lost the ball. Also gave the ball away that led to Robben's shot being well saved by Howard.

The arm thing worries me big time, Im convinced its a matter of time before he gives away a penalty/gets sent off but its seemingly how he defends and may be hard to remove from his game. There was a few times when he could have been done for it last night, once on Duff early on then a little later he did the same thing to Robben.

• Administrators

Well yeah, I can understand that, because United should be less than eleven points off the top, but we were fairly lucky to get away with a win from that game. It just so happens that Mourinho is such a perfectionist that he will not allow defeat to come into play. Ever. Unless it's Porto or Man City.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Pique gets United chance

Manchester United have handed Spanish youngster Gerard Pique a five-year deal.

The 17-year-old moved to Old Trafford in the summer as a trainee after leaving Spanish giants Barcelona.

After making three first team appearances this season, Pique has been handed a long-term deal by Sir Alex Ferguson.

Pique celebrates his 18th birthday at the start of February and he could ask for no greater present than a chance to prove himself at United.

"I will give it everything I've got and then maybe in two years I will be in the team," said Pique.

The central defender will find it tough to get into the starting XI however, with Rio Ferdinand and Mikael Silvestre forming a sturdy partnership of late, while the likes of John O'Shea and Gary Neville can also fill in.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Archived