The Return of the Manchester United Thread v1.3 - The Future Starts Hereâ„¢

foobR

• Replies 17k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>

Man Utd boss pledges his own money to thwart Glazer's takeover ambitions

David Gill, the chief executive of Manchester United, has pledged to use his own wealth to defend the football club from any further takeover bid.

In a controversial move, Gill has offered to donate a five-figure sum to a "fighting fund" set up by Shareholders United, a fans' organisation that has pledged to preserve Man Utd's independence in the face of any takeover offer, regardless of price. Shareholders United would use Gill's donation to buy shares in Man Utd. It would then use the equity stake to attempt to block a takeover.

Although Gill's donation would not technically break any UK stock market listing rules, it could lead to accusations that he has compromised his ability to fulfil his fiduciary duty to maximise value for all shareholders in Man Utd.

Nick Towle, the chairman of Shareholders United, has confirmed that Gill offered to make an undisclosed donation to its fund during telephone conversations held before Christmas. The conversations also included a discussion of Gill's plan to exercise more than £1m of share options.

Towle said he was worried that Gill's shares would be snapped up by Malcolm Glazer, the US sports tycoon, who has a 28 per cent stake and has been looking for a way to buy the club in a leveraged deal for around £800m.

Asked about Gill's offer of a donation, Towle said Shareholders United would be asking all the club's directors to make a donation once the fund has been finalised in March.

Gill later sold shares worth £1.3m to Jim O'Neill, a non-executive director.

An executive with links to Man Utd said Gill and his fellow directors would all "seek legal advice" before making any personal donation to Shareholders United.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gill Blocked Gravesen Deal

Managing Director David Gill blocked a Manchester United move for Everton's Thomas Gravesen thus allowing the player to move to Real Madrid this week. The all-action midfielder was seen by Alex Ferguson as a compliment to and then eventual replacement for Roy Keane. Given that the player was available on a free transfer in the summer it made him all the more attractive to the board.

However, Real Madrid moved for the player in the January transfer window - spending around £2.3m for Gravesen's services despite his impending contract expiry. The reason: the Dane's availability for the Champions League this season. While Sir Alex is understood to have been very keen to bring the player to Old Trafford the board blocked any expenditure before players are sold, scuppering the deal.

How the board's impasse will affect the Gill-Fergie relationship is yet to be seen, although Fergie cannot be surprised. Although funds will be made available for transfers in the summer, the wages to turnover ration is very close to the 50% limit set by the board. Moreover, Fergie has spent a huge amount of money on Wayne Rooney, Alan Smith, Louis Saha and Gabrielle Heinze in the last year.

There's a simple solution to this problem - Fergie should sell, loan or release a number of players who are on large contracts but contributing little or nothing to the first team cause. Those to go must surely include Kléberson, Djemba-Djemba, Bellion and Ricardo. If moves had been made to ship some of the fringe players out of Old Trafford earlier this season Fergie could now have at his disposal a midfielder who has been outstanding this season. Indeed, so good has Gravesen been that he was chased by Milan as well as United and Real Madrid. Let's hope a lesson has been learned

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Took this off redcafe. So it seems we didnt get Graveson because we had an array of crap that we all know must go. :\

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Blaine:

Get with it Nick! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think I may have been told about it when I was half-asleep this morning, didn't really sink in icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JulesMUFC:

That is such a disapointment. We should of just traded all the crap for Tommy G cos lets face it. He is awesome. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

While es better than probably everyone bar our first 4 i dont think hes good enough. But yet again for £2.3m you cant go wrong.

That said we are being linked with a £12m bid for Mavuba. Didnt Djemba-Djemba look the dogs in France? icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

_Gill Blocked Gravesen Deal_

Managing Director David Gill blocked a Manchester United move for Everton's Thomas Gravesen thus allowing the player to move to Real Madrid this week. The all-action midfielder was seen by Alex Ferguson as a compliment to and then eventual replacement for Roy Keane. Given that the player was available on a free transfer in the summer it made him all the more attractive to the board.

However, Real Madrid moved for the player in the January transfer window - spending around £2.3m for Gravesen's services despite his impending contract expiry. The reason: the Dane's availability for the Champions League this season. While Sir Alex is understood to have been very keen to bring the player to Old Trafford the board blocked any expenditure before players are sold, scuppering the deal.

How the board's impasse will affect the Gill-Fergie relationship is yet to be seen, although Fergie cannot be surprised. Although funds will be made available for transfers in the summer, the wages to turnover ration is very close to the 50% limit set by the board. Moreover, Fergie has spent a huge amount of money on Wayne Rooney, Alan Smith, Louis Saha and Gabrielle Heinze in the last year.

There's a simple solution to this problem - Fergie should sell, loan or release a number of players who are on large contracts but contributing little or nothing to the first team cause. Those to go must surely include Kléberson, Djemba-Djemba, Bellion and Ricardo. If moves had been made to ship some of the fringe players out of Old Trafford earlier this season Fergie could now have at his disposal a midfielder who has been outstanding this season. Indeed, so good has Gravesen been that he was chased by Milan as well as United and Real Madrid. Let's hope a lesson has been learned

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Took this off redcafe. So it seems we didnt get Graveson because we had an array of crap that we all know must go. :\ <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

FFS just sell them!! icon_mad.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Benfica have offered Kleberson an escape route from Manchester United but The Red Devils are reluctant to let their Brazilian misfit leave.

The South American has failed to justify the £7 million price-tag that accompanied his move from Atletico Paranaense and was last seen getting injured in the Carling Cup win over Arsenal.

Benfica coach Giovanni Trapattoni sees Kleberson as an alternative for top target Maxi Lopez, whose move from River Plate has stalled.

'Trap' wants to sign the United man on loan but Sir Alex Ferguson is not keen on the proposal.

"He is one of the best foreign midfielders," Trapattoni told Record.

"Already, we spoke and we are going to see if we have the possibility to hire him.

"The player wants to come, the businessmen also but not the club.

"Negotiations are not always easy but the deal is not at a standstill."

Trapattoni has other targets, including Liverpool's Igor Biscan, according to Portuguese sources, but Kleberson would perhaps welcome a chance to prove his worth at Estadio da Luz.

United would prefer a permanent transfer and, if they do relent and allow the midfielder to leave, it must be with at least a view to a concrete sale.

The World Cup winner is still sidelined with the ankle injury he sustained against Arsenal's under-strength side on December 1. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RedBlood:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Blaine:

Baffles me as to why we wouldn't let him go. I can only imagine they won't pay all of his wages... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Because we no hel have to come back <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

gahah icon_biggrin.gif

I think it's understandable of Gill to block the Gravesen transfer. Gravesen has been in excellent form recently but the same could've been said of Miller and Kleberson (Possibly Djemba too although I have no idea how well he did at Nantes) just prior to us signing them, and who knows, if we'd signed Gravesen and in a years time Ferguson looks to some random Premiership midfielder who's had an excellent first half of a season, Gravesen could be an additional hinderance to a transfer or a replacement hindrance if Kleberson/Miller/Djemba are sold in the summer.

Reid being chased by four clubs

Nottingham Forest have revealed that three Premiership clubs and one from Spain are interested in signing 22-year-old midfielder Andy Reid.

However, manager Gary Megson insisted he would not let Reid leave cheaply.

Megson told the club's website: "Andy is a big asset for this club and he will not be leaving unless it suits Nottingham Forest.

"We would like to hang on to him but I believe he has made his feelings known that he would like to leave." <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Am I the only one that would like us to be one of the 3 Premiership clubs? I think he's a cracking talent, we were supposedly sniffing around him in the summer when a fee of £5m was thrown up and I'd be quite happy to pay that. Be even nicer if we could send some deadwood their way as a makeweight.

Baffles me as to why we wouldn't let him go. I can only imagine they won't pay all of his wages... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Loan is useless, either sell or keep. I can imagine him being another Forlan in terms of doing really well after leaving us.

Btw what does your location mean Blaine?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by vanester:

Loan is useless, either sell or keep. I can imagine him being another Forlan in terms of doing really well after leaving us.

Btw what does your location mean Blaine? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Olympics location in 2012.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>[32] Song of the day

Monday, January 17, 2005

to the music of Copacabana... by Robert W

At the Kop End,

We all saw Rooney,

With his hands in his ears,

Oblivious to the jeers.

But poor old Stevie,

Looked so down hearted,

The Premiership just a dream,

He'll have to join another team.

And then the cautions flew,

Wes Brown, well he got two,

But despite all the possession,

Benitez knew...

At the Kop end,

Utd won it,

Here the scousers cry,

As another season passes by.

Back in the 80's,

They were the best team,

But that was many years ago,

When we all watched the Wogan show.

At the kop end, at the Kop end,

Crying and moaning, spend all weekend groaning at the Kop End,

Dudek lost their love.....

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> [2] Tim Howard on United

Monday, January 17, 2005

"It’s incredible. When I first got there, I told people it was like traveling with a band of a rock stars. You go to a hotel in the middle of nowhere and there are people there. The city lives and sleeps for the team. It's incredible. It's intense. You pull up to the stadium three hours beforehand, and you come inside and you can just hear it. You know, all the rustling. And it sounds like a thunderstorm." <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We are the best fans in the league \O/

Good article about mind games

from http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport

"I think somewhere along the line before the clash between Arsenal and Manchester United on Feb 1 the directors of the two clubs have got to put an end to the ongoing dispute between their respective managers, which flared up again over the weekend.

They have to say to their people: "This is going to damage the image of both clubs. You've had your say, now let the football do the talking."

I believe what's happening between Sir Alex Ferguson and Arsène Wenger has not yet got to the stage of bringing the game into disrepute but it is definitely giving the game a bad image.

As much as we enjoy the rhetoric and what they say about each other it has come to the point where it has got to calm down a bit because it is getting very personal. Too personal.

The one common denominator whenever a major argument breaks out between leading figures in the game is Ferguson. He is always in the middle of it all.

Ferguson has been a master of this kind of thing since time began. He knows the system and how it works and how to rattle people. Everybody from managers, players, referees and media and he has become an expert at it.

Wenger has tried to compete with Ferguson in the mental battles. He looked at one stage as though he was going to be the Scot's equal in the mind games but he has suddenly fallen behind. When Arsenal were dominant, Wenger might have seen his counterpart off but it seems to me that Ferguson is in the ascendancy again.

Wenger's problem is that the fall-out from the last match against United is still going on and Ferguson every so often has used that to his advantage. Arsenal did not cover themselves in glory - on or off the pitch - at Old Trafford on Oct 24, and they are still suffering from it. What happened there has given Ferguson a lot of leeway with a lot of people.

Ferguson is a master of using anything he has got in his favour to his advantage. He has deliberately brought the so-called 'Pizzagate' incident up in an interview at a specific time. It is ironic that he has a go at Wenger on the morning that Arsenal have to go to Bolton and are beaten 1-0.

The performance at Bolton was just not Arsenal-like - it was such a bad performance. Once the pressure starts to affect the manager, it affects the players and mind games are all about putting the target figure under pressure.

The big thing is how you counteract this kind of attack. Wenger has decided that he will not get involved in the mind games but I think with a big match coming up between the two clubs with the world watching it is virtually impossible for him not to get involved.

If you win the match and the championship the mind games are a lot easier. I think we've seen that recently in the clashes between Ferguson and Chelsea's Jose Mourinho.

Mourinho has been able to come back with answers to the Ferguson jibes and has shown that it is easier to be in charge of these mental exchanges when you are on top. But it is when you stop winning that it starts to become more of a test. Chelsea have had an unbelievable season so far but it will only need a couple of defeats for Ferguson to turn on Mourinho.

Increased media coverage has accentuated the psychological warfare. You have got to learn to play the game. Wenger learnt how to play it. He is an intelligent man but I believe he has just gone off the boil in terms of how he copes with mind games. When he starts saying he is not going to answer any questions about Ferguson then it appears to me that Ferguson is winning the battle handsomely.

I think if Arsenal had not won the Premiership, or had not gone undefeated last season, or had not come so close to ending United's dominance, none of this would have happened.

If Arsenal had finished fifth last season, all of this hostility between Ferguson and Wenger would probably have died away. You don't see Ferguson having a go at Alan Curbishley or David O'Leary or Sam Allardyce or Iain Dowie or even Graeme Souness or Rafael Benitez - because they are not a serious threat to him.

He has set his sights on two guys - Wenger and Mourinho. He is obviously having a go at Wenger and putting pressure on him. And he will do the same against Chelsea.

Every paper will be carrying stories about this latest spat. Managers know their players are going to read it and Manchester United players are used to it. They know how their manager deals with situations like this.

When Ferguson goes in the paper it won't be to talk about somebody in the middle of the table - more often than not it will be one of his keenest rivals. You only have to look at what he did to Kevin Keegan a decade ago. If you look at footage of that interview it is clear how much it got to Keegan."

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

steve bennett proves, yet again, that he's a c*nt:

Referee Steve Bennett has included Wayne Rooney's goal celebrations in his match report, but praised the striker for his restraint.

Rooney netted Manchester United's winner against Liverpool on Saturday and ran to the Kop after scoring in the 21st minute.

The England international, formerly of local rivals Everton, had come under fire from Reds supporters throughout the encounter.

Bennett believes Rooney showed self-control by not reacting to provocation, but did include his celebration in his Anfield match report.

Rooney was recently banned by The FA for his elbow on Bolton's Tal Ben Haim and he could face another suspension in they take action over this latest incident.

"I've forwarded a report to The FA over the whole issue," said Bennett.

"I noticed that while he was warming up before the game there was a lot of hostility towards him.

"There's obvious rivalry between the two sets of fans and in fairness he did very well not react.

"After he scored, Wayne went to the side of the goal and faced the Kop with his hands to his ears.

"All I can do is report the facts. It now depends on whether anybody wants to take further action."

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The BBC seem to be a little confused. On their sports page it says "Wayne Rooney will not face an FA charge for his goal celebration against Liverpool."

But when you go to read the story it actually says "Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney will not face a police investigation for his goal celebration after scoring against Liverpool on Saturday."

Though quite why the possibility of a police charge was ever brought up is beyond me. As Inspector George Dawson said: "It looks like Rooney hasn't committed a criminal offence so he won't be investigated."

I think it's pretty obvious he was trying to wind up the crowd... but given their attitude towards him in the first place and the fact he didn't actually do anything offensive there's no way he can get in trouble surely.

Nothing happened to Fowler for his celebration vs Everton did it? Rooney's was certainly no worse than that.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ericcantona7:

Did anyone notice that the tickets for the Milan game have gone up in price? or am I mistaken. Also none members tickets seem to have shot up by an extra £2 this season, can anyone confirm this? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

whoosh!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ericcantona7:

Did anyone notice that the tickets for the Milan game have gone up in price? or am I mistaken. Also none members tickets seem to have shot up by an extra £2 this season, can anyone confirm this? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i asked this earlier do keep up icon_razz.gif

the CL tickets go up the further we progress i think the semi reaches £5 or so more than normal

Archived