The Return of the Manchester United Thread v1.3 - The Future Starts Hereâ„¢

foobR

After the whole ball on the line thing ( icon_wink.gif ) last night I haven't seen the whole what goes round comes round argument used at all...

My memory is a bit sketchy about the details of this but I remember we were robbed in the same way at the start of the 90's. It was definitely a cup game(dont know if FA or League Cup), I'm pretty sure it was against Southampton, I think it was somewhere between 1990-94 and Captain Marvel scored a 'goal' at least a foot over the line which was not allowed. Then I have vague memories of penalties (maybe?), losing (or did we lose the replay?) and definitely lots of anger icon_mad.gif

Anyone remember what I'm rambling on about? I'm too lazy too do a Google search. Maybe one of you can find a match report or a pic of the 'goal'! icon_smile.gif

• Replies 17k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Posted this in the match thread but it seems it's here that the conversations is flowing, so icon_wink.gif :

Thanks for the post about the trams Nick and the rest, didn't get to read them in the end.

Well, I was on on the second tier behind Carrol and I simply couldn't believe we got away with that. I believe my words towards Carrol were "usless inepth c*untbucket" but I can't be sure. With him not accepting the contract offered to him, I say sell him now and give Howard his chance again. He's good enough. Schemeichel was ropey in his first 18 months too remember, and with Ricardo as back up, I don't want too see Carroll near the first team again. Decent keeper, but not good enough for United's first team.

We were great in the first half I thought, energetic, lively, then it kinda went pearshaped in the second half, we kept needlessy giving the ball away. Only 5 players could come out of that game with much credit : Rio, Silvestre, Scholes, Smith and Henize, I though Phil Neville could have provided a lot more attacking threat down the right, but that's be nit picking really.

It really comes down to the fact that our back up players just don't cut it. Flethcer was okay, good composure but seems unwilling to really get stuck in and hasn't got that spark about him that a United first teamer should have. Miller's contribution was minimal, he has shown very little potential and you've got to wonder why he was bought, bearing in mind he was hardly a first teamer at Celtic. I was so f*cking annoyed with Bellions seemingly half arsed attitude in closing down. Showed some nice flashes, but again, I fail to see what he adds to the team. Biggest dissapointment for me was Ronaldo, seems to be having that second season bug young players can get.

All in all, I suppose we were lucky to get a point considering what happened, if we had that cutting edge up front for 90 minutes, we could have scored 3/4 goals.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wilbie:

I was so f*cking annoyed with Bellions seemingly half arsed attitude in closing down. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah that annoyed me too, really shows how good Smith has been.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Blaine:

Have a decent time apart from that? icon_biggrin.gif

Buy anything from the megastore? icon_wink.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah it was wicked. I was gobsmacked when I walked into the stand, I couldn't believe the view. Kinda surreal moment, I've been avidly following United since 91/92 season, (yes i was only 6 but i can still have distant memories, crying when I heard we lost 1-0 away to West Ham and blew it icon_frown.gif ) Most of my family are hardcore United, it was my uncle's who got me supporting United but my da is a scouse fan + not very well off so I so never got the chance too see United at OT as a kid. 14 years of wondering what it's like fulfilled icon_biggrin.gif \o/ icon_smile.gif

I was on such a buzz walking up to the stadium, never forget that feeling. I was hyper. Took loadsa photo's I'll post a few when I get them back. And yes, I bought a flag and a hat icon_biggrin.gif

Gotta say though, coming from a country who has banned smoking in public places, the stench and misty atmosphere inside at half time was disturning. Same in the pubs. I'm a casual smoker myself but the difference is unreal. Manchester itself seemed like a bit of a dump but I didn't get much a chance to see it propely so I won't hold a strong opinion on it.

all i wanted was a goal to top it all off icon_frown.gif

have a bit cash these days too, it'll only cost me 150 for Chelsea at home in the Carling Cup, college work permitting, I'll probably go \o/

That's the thing, I didn't really go anywhere icon_biggrin.gif Hotel was right beside Belle Vue stadium so my judgement on Manchester is of that surrounding area and the drive to OT icon_wink.gif Nah, I've heard it's very nice city in places so I'll make a point of finding them places next time. Didn't go to that club in the end, there was a bit of a session back at the hotel, 4 coaches full of us! And besides, me and missus wanted to spend some quality time testing out the double bed icon_wink.gif

Oh right, yeah, you definitely want to get in the centre if you head over again - maybe try and get into something like the Premier Lodge on Oxford Road, can't be much more expensive than where you were staying + it will be cheaper getting to and from the ground (it's a minute's walk from a Met station).

BTW:

[26] Questions for Anthony H Wilson

Wednesday, January 5, 2005

Red News will be interviewing Anthony H Wilson, Broadcaster and Co-Founder of Factory Records

http://www.vivienneclore.com/articles/AnthonyH_881342_45.htm, if any readers have questions they would like us to ask him, please let us know asap at barney@rednews.co.uk

thanks

What did you make of the atmosphere? I've always been curious given the amount of critism it gets. I thought it was quite good, better than your average ireland home game, but not as vicious as a Dublin match at Croke Park. (GAA). There was many a time though were the Spurs fan's were audibly louder but it swung 'round throughout the game. Didn't seem to be much chanting coming from the north and south stands though.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by James07?:

why would wicom give a sh*t about the England team icon_biggrin.gif

loyalty is a much abused word in football, but given the amount of support Rio has had over his 'issues' I'd be disappointed if he manipulated a move to Chelsea. Don't trust the flash c*nt to do the right thing though..... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

bloody hell, you really don't like the guy do you?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wilbie:

What did you make of the atmosphere? I've always been curious given the amount of critism it gets. I thought it was quite good, better than your average ireland home game, but not as vicious as a Dublin match at Croke Park. (GAA). There was many a time though were the Spurs fan's were audibly louder but it swung 'round throughout the game. Didn't seem to be much chanting coming from the north and south stands though. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

north and south stands didn't think a one minute silence was long enough icon_wink.gif, it was quite a good atmosphere for a 0-0 I thought.

That's the thing, I didn't really go anywhere icon_biggrin.gif Hotel was right beside Belle Vue stadium so my judgement on Manchester is of that surrounding area and the drive to OT icon_wink.gif Nah, I've heard it's very nice city in places so I'll make a point of finding them places next time. Didn't go to that club in the end, there was a bit of a session back at the hotel, 4 coaches full of us! And besides, me and missus wanted to spend some quality time testing out the double bed icon_wink.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

bell vue's a sh­ithole tbh 10 mins from my nice Cheshire area icon14.gif

What did you make of the atmosphere? I've always been curious given the amount of critism it gets. I thought it was quite good, better than your average ireland home game, but not as vicious as a Dublin match at Croke Park. (GAA). There was many a time though were the Spurs fan's were audibly louder but it swung 'round throughout the game. Didn't seem to be much chanting coming from the north and south stands though. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The only chance of the South Stand coming to life would be if they started pushing a Meals On Wheels trolley down the concourses or Cliff Richard was doing the half-time draw icon_biggrin.gif

The atmosphere wasn't great last night, although being sat right by the Sperz fans meant I couldn't really tell whether the Stretty were making much noise. It was certainly extremely quiet in the Scoreboard, bar when things were getting a bit desperate towards the end and the crowd were urging us forward. Sadly it tends to be like that most games, for various reasons (but that's another discussion).

If you thought last night was quite good, wait until you experience a big European night at OT, or a derby, or a game like the Arsenal game this season. Even those in the South Stand put down their thermos' (thermi?) and try to clap along icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Sir Alex Ferguson is anxiously hoping Louis Saha will be able to make his Manchester United comeback against Liverpool.

Saha has not played for The Red Devils since scoring in the Carling Cup victory over Crystal Palace in early November.

He aggravated a knee injury while on international duty with France and has been absent for United's 11-match unbeaten run in The Premiership.

But he has been sorely missed in recent weeks, with Ruud van Nistelrooy also injured and Wayne Rooney serving a suspension.

With Ryan Giggs having joined the injury list during Tuesday's controversial draw with Tottenham Hotspur, Ferguson's options in attack have become even more depleted.

Ferguson has been boosted by Saha returning to full training and he hopes the former Fulham ace will not suffer a setback prior to the January 15 trip to old rivals Liverpool.

"Louis has returned to training now and is not doing too badly," said Ferguson.

"He has progressed very well so far but the next week will be very important for him.

"The main thing is that he is with the main group now so hopefully he will be available for the Liverpool game."

The United chief also acknowledged the injuries to his front line, in addition to knocks for the likes of Wes Brown, John O'Shea and Kleberson, have put a greater burden on his squad.

He added: "All these injuries have put us under a lot of pressure, especially in the striking area.

"I have been forced to play more or less the same players over the last few weeks and I am proud of how well they have done even though we are disappointed at the Tottenham result." <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Need him back as soon as possible icon14.gif Just hope he can stay injury free for the rest of the season

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>

"I have been forced to play more or less the same players over the last few weeks and I am proud of how well they have done even though we are disappointed at the Tottenham result." <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe even when everyone's back, Fergie will realise now how much better a settled side in a settled system can be. I know we need to rest players at times, but he doesn't half take it to extremes sometimes.

I may be putting 2 and 2 together but i think Ronaldo will be speaking English tonight, i know some of you said he wouldnt but first being booked on the show and this recent bit from an interview with the lad leads me to believe it will be the queens tonight.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>

- How is your english?

Its better. I had a teacher and now i talk a lot better. Its not perfect, but its ok... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Goals Are Fletcher's New Year Resolution

Darren Fletcher wants to increase his value to United by adding goals to his game - a desire shared by Reds boss Sir Alex Ferguson.

It took Fletcher until his 53rd appearance to claim his first goal for the club, scoring the first in a 2-0 win at The Riverside on New Year’s Day.

"It was a long time coming for me," admits Darren. "But I am hoping I can push forward and score more often now."

The half-century of appearances without making the scoresheet came as a surprise to those who knew Fletcher as a youth player renowned for getting his share of goals.

The Edinburgh-born midfielder admits his deficiency of goals had begun to prey on his mind.

"I was starting to worry about it because it's not me at all," he said. "All through my time with youth teams and for Scotland I have scored and created chances.

"But, up until the Middlesbrough game, it just hadn't happened for me at United. I'm glad it has eventually arrived."

Sir Alex is a keen admirer of Fletcher’s abilities and perhaps even has a soft-spot for his fellow countryman. Ferguson is hoping Darren Fletcher goals are a more regular occurrence in 2005.

"Well, we waited a while for it," Ferguson said wryly of Fletcher's goal against Middlesbrough. "A goal can do a lot for your confidence. It's the area which Darren must improve. He is a very good footballer and is improving all the time.

"It’s terrific for the boy and hopefully it can drive him on to get more goals for the club. He's been doing very well for us."

Fletcher’s first-team involvement has grown steadily as the current season has progressed. Injuries and suspension cut short his involvement at the start of the season; by mid-November he was nearly three months without a Premiership start.

However, including his start in the Carling Cup fourth round tie with Crystal Palace in November, Fletcher has made the first eleven in 10 of United's last 14 matches.

The young Scot started the following match against Newcastle at St James’ Park, a significant match in that it heralded a change to a five-man midfield. It was an opening for Fletcher, but also benefited United’s other midfielders. His central role eases the pressure on Roy Keane defensively and allows Scholes to take up more advanced positions.

The dynamic of United’s midfield may have changed since the days of a Giggs, Keane, Scholes, Beckham central quintet, but the necessity of goals from midfield remains the same.

"Giggs, Scholes, Keane and Beckham were all a threat in front of goal," Ferguson points out. "You need goals from midfield.

"Scholes and Giggs remain a threat in front of goal, but there is not the same demand on Roy Keane in the way that we use him now.

"Hopefully Darren’s first can set him off on the search for more," added Ferguson. "I think he will be hoping it will move him up a notch in his standing as a Manchester United player." <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought the Ronaldo interview was great, the guy came off great. I was a bit miffed he was speaking portuguese but you could see he understood english saying hello to people, smiling at questions, answering before it got translated and correcting his interpreter once or twice and then at the end when he spoke english was great. And i have to say very good english at that, better than i expected.

I remember watching it and thinking how good so and so questions were to recall on here for people who hadnt seen it but now i am drawing a blank. He did though like Blaine said talk about Giggs and he mentioned how nice a man he was.

He talked about lots of jokes being played and how Fortune is the one who plays the most.

He did say in English that in his opinion Ashley Cole was the hardest defender to play against but there are lots of good defenders in the league.

He said he used to watch the prem when he played in portugal and liked Cole and Yorke and admired how many goals they scored.

Thats all i can think of right now.

He also said how he was going through some bad form right now but would come good.

And when talking about the bet with Fergie the presenter asked him if he had a bet on for getting 12 goals and before his interpreter could answer Ronaldo jumped in and said 10, only 10. And he talked about how he has hit the woodwork 7 times this season.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Ronaldo upset with form

Manchester United's Cristiano Ronaldo has admitted he is not in the best of form at the moment and revealed his most difficult opponent is Arsenal rival Ashley Cole.

The Portugal international has only one goal to his credit so far this term, a sweet volley against Southampton, but is bemoaning his dreadful luck after hitting the woodwork a number of times.

The winger had a Christmas break in Madeira to recharge his batteries after a hectic summer programme but has still to hit peak form since his return, despite impressing in a substitute appearance against Aston Villa over the festive period.

"I accept, at this moment, I am not in a good moment," he told MUTV through an interpreter. "But I will come back strongly and do my best.

"I am a keen learner; I will be learning all my life.

"Obviously I get a bit frustrated but I feel I have been unlucky this season. I've had seven balls on the post and I get frustrated with that. I want to continue to work hard for the team and score as well.

" 10 [goals]. I think that's still possible if the bad luck goes away. If I had scored the seven that hit the post, I'd be near that. I'm still able to do that."

Ronaldo would like a run at playing just off the centre forward but is happy just being in the team at United and learning from the likes of Ryan Giggs and Roy Keane.

"I've no preference; left, right or centre," he said. "I'm just happy to play, that's obvious.

"I like to play behind the centre forward but that style of play at United doesn't suit their style of play. I like to play quite freely but sometimes the manager has other players who can perform in that position and he makes the decisions.

"Playing with Ryan at United is fantastic because, as a player and a person, he's great. He helped me a lot in my first months and the club and is one of the persons I've kept as an idol. He has had a very good career with United and we can call him a star.

"It's obvious it was very important to have worked with Roy as, in the first year, he helped me lot. He's our captain and, within the team, he's a very strong player. We all respect that due to the experience he has. He's a very spontaneous person and sometimes he is spontaneous when we have bad play but he's a good person and a very important colleague."

The Madeiran youngster admits he only has two gripes - the usual criticism of Manchester's soggy climate and having to tussle with Arsenal defender Cole, with the duo continuing their enthralling Euro 2004 head-to-head battle in The Premiership.

"There are many good defenders in England but Ashley Cole [is the most difficult]," he concluded.

"When I play against him, I think he's the most difficult.

"At the beginning, it was quite difficult for me but, nowadays, I'm used to the people in Manchester. I know it, more or less, and am adapted to the system. The only problem I still suffer is the weather!" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Link

Saha return to match fitness imminent?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Louis Saha is planning to make his Manchester United comeback against Premiership leaders Chelsea in next week's Carling Cup tie.

The striker has not played for The Red Devils since scoring in the fourth round of the competition against Crystal Palace in early November.

He then aggravated a knee injury whilst on international duty with France and has been slowly nursed back to full fitness.

United boss Sir Alex Ferguson confirmed earlier this week that Saha was close to a return and had pencilled in the January 15 meeting with Liverpool for the forward's comeback.

But Saha feels he could be available for next Wednesday's Carling Cup semi-final, first leg at Stamford Bridge, although he is wary about rushing his return.

"I am feeling pretty good now," said Saha. "I've started training this week and I am at 95 percent.

"I have to make sure to get that last five percent.

"The Carling Cup is a realistic target but I have to be 100 percent fit because I don't want the same story all over again."

Saha's absence has also coincided with an injury to Ruud van Nistelrooy which has left Ferguson short of options up front.

Former Fulham ace Saha has been a frustrated spectator for the past two months and can not put a finger on why he always seems to pick up injuries while representing his country.

He added: "It has been very frustrating.

"It's been too much and I have to make sure the knee is right so that it doesn't happen to me again.

"It has been difficult. I go away with France and something happens every time. It's just been bad luck." <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

Anyway so who is ashamed to support Man Utd and finds the club a disgrace after the spurs game? I love reading the posts on other message board from United fans who do, it brightens up the day. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Eh? You mean you still support this bunch of cheating losers icon_rolleyes.gif

Archived