The Return of the Manchester United Thread v1.3 - The Future Starts Hereâ„¢

foobR

i agree with you terry, but i cant help but wonder if robert is one of those players who craves the big stage. sometimes i get the impression he is a player that needs to be told how good he is and given a different kind of man management, similar to dare i say it, cantona. im not saying he could be anywhere near as good for us as thats wrong, just that if fergie were to sign him it would make robert actually knuckle down in order to prove himself at the highest level. i get the feeling he's one of those players who wants to be loved, and when he is he'll make an effort, when he's being treated how he is by souness it makes him give up too easily.

just a thought, he probably wouldn't be a great signing really. devils advocate if you will icon_smile.gif

• Replies 17k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fact or fiction:

1) Who will we sign? If no-one, put no-one. If someone, please put:

Player/Permanent or Loan (If permanent, then immediate or Pre-contract)

Edu (Pre-contract)

2) Who will we sell? If no-one, put no-one. If someone, please put:

Player/to which club/Permanent or Loan (If permanent, then immediate or Pre-contract)

Spector - Blackburn - Loan

Now on to the proper stuff...

3) Glazer will mount a full takeover bid

(nb. he has not done this to date; preliminary talks and speculation will not count as fact.)

Fiction

4) We will win against:

a) Bolton Fact

b) Villa Fact

c) Boro Fact

d) Spurs Fact

e) Exeter (FA Cup) Fact

(nb. I am not including replays.)

f) Chelsea (Carling Cup Semi Final Away Leg) Fiction

g) Liverpool Fiction

h) Aston Villa

i) Chelsea (Carling Cup Semi Final Home Leg) Fiction

5) Ruud will be back by the Liverpool game (15/01/05). Fiction

6) We will be less than 9 points behind Chelsea at the end of January. Fact

7) Giggs will have signed a new contract by the end of January. Fact

8) Roy Carroll will have signed a new contract by the end of January. Fact

9) Should we get there, we will draw a Premiership team in the fourth round of the FA Cup. Fiction

10) Should we get there, we will have a home tie in the fourth round of the FA Cup. Fact

Fact or fiction:

1) Who will we sign? If no-one, put no-one. If someone, please put:

Player/Permanent or Loan (If permanent, then immediate or Pre-contract)

Gabor Kiraly

2) Who will we sell? If no-one, put no-one. If someone, please put:

Player/to which club/Permanent or Loan (If permanent, then immediate or Pre-contract)

Spector - Blackburn - Loan

Now on to the proper stuff...

3) Glazer will mount a full takeover bid

(nb. he has not done this to date; preliminary talks and speculation will not count as fact.)

Fact - Unsuccesful though

4) We will win against:

a) Bolton Fact

b) Villa Fact

c) Boro Fiction - Draw

d) Spurs Fact

e) Exeter (FA Cup) Fact

(nb. I am not including replays.)

f) Chelsea (Carling Cup Semi Final Away Leg) Fiction - Loss

g) Liverpool Fact

h) Aston Villa Fact

i) Chelsea (Carling Cup Semi Final Home Leg) Fiction - Draw

5) Ruud will be back by the Liverpool game (15/01/05). Fiction

6) We will be less than 9 points behind Chelsea at the end of January. Fact

7) Giggs will have signed a new contract by the end of January. Fact

8) Roy Carroll will have signed a new contract by the end of January. Fiction

9) Should we get there, we will draw a Premiership team in the fourth round of the FA Cup. Fiction

10) Should we get there, we will have a home tie in the fourth round of the FA Cup. Fact

Carroll's agent hopeful of an agreement

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Manchester United goalkeeper Roy Carroll is hopeful of signing an extension to his contract early in the new year.

The Northern Ireland international's current deal runs out at the end of the season but he has rejected an initial offer, to the disbelief of manager Sir Alex Ferguson, who questioned whether Carroll could expect to receive better terms elsewhere.

But, despite apparent interest from Arsenal, the 26-year-old's agent, Francis Martin, insists Carroll is not looking for a move, merely an improvement on the deal on offer.

'We are talking to the club at the moment,' confirmed Martin.

'There is not too much between us and I would anticipate something being sorted out early in the new year.

'Roy is not being greedy. He just wants to be on a par with some of the senior players at the club.'

Carroll has refused to elaborate on the major reasons why he has failed to a sign the extension, although Martin has now revealed they relate mainly to a worry about his previous lack of first-team opportunities.

Those fears have been alleviated by a 16-game run in the side which has been broken only by Tim Howard's appearances on Carling Cup duty and the dead-rubber Champions League trip to Fenerbahce.

Carroll's confidence was boosted significantly by Ferguson's decision to stand by him for the Premiership win at West Brom last month, which came immediately after his glaring mistake against Lyon at Old Trafford.

Now Carroll, who has made 55 first-team appearances since his £2.5million move from Wigan in 2001, is ready to commit his future to the Old Trafford outfit.

'These things can drag on a bit but it would be crazy to think Roy wants to leave Manchester United - there has never been any question of that.

'His biggest concern was whether he would get a run in the side because if he had reached this point of the season and still been on the bench, he would have had to seriously consider his future.

'But those worries don't exist now because he has been playing virtually every week and he knows the manager has full confidence in him.

'It will be good to get it sorted out because while the situation has not affected Roy, it could reach that stage if people keep reminding him about it.' <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Source

While i hope he stays, i also wonder how long he will remain number one. I have a feeling Fergie doesn't see him as the long term first choice, so either Howard will come back or we'll sign someone. I really have no evidence for that, it's just a gut feeling. While he's been very good during this run, i'm not yet sure if he's quite good enough to be there long term.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mark g:

While i hope he stays, i also wonder how long he will remain number one. I have a feeling Fergie doesn't see him as the long term first choice, so either Howard will come back or we'll sign someone. I really have no evidence for that, it's just a gut feeling. While he's been very good during this run, i'm not yet sure if he's _quite_ good enough to be there long term. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree, as well as he's done, I just can't see him being a long-term number one.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mika:

I agree, as well as he's done, I just can't see him being a long-term number one. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>in the short to medium term then (the next 18 months - 2 years?) I ask that from the perspective of whether or not Steele/Heaton/ some other young guy coul be good enough to make the first team. Would Carroll be keeping the spot warm for them so to speak?

Hard to say really as I haven't seen too much of the young guys already at the club.

I don't know how long we intend to keep Ricardo for, so that leaves us with Tim and Roy...I dunno, I'm like Mark G, I just have a gut feeling that Fergie doesn't see him as number 1.

Saying that in the short to medium term as you say, I personally have no problems seeing Carroll in goal, as barring the Lyon game, and that clearance against Leicester last season, I can't remember him making too many errors for us.

It's strange. I agree with most of your assessments about Carroll even though it's harsh because he's never been less than solid. I suppose it's just because he doesn't have the charisma or personality that we want the United keeper to have, as we all remember Schmeichel.

It's almost as if Carroll isn't "glamourous" enough, though often the best keepers are precisely the ones who don't stand out in that sense.

To me it's not about Charisma, it's more about doing that bit extra. He's seems to have the consistency, in that he almost always makes the saves you expect him to make, and rarely makes a howler ( i could only think of Lyon and the leicester one as well), but you rarely get the "how the hell did he stop that" feeling as well. There was one this season that looked like a double save, but one of them was actually a clearing header by Gary Neville, and there was the save early in the semi last year, but other than that it's hard to think of any real outstanding ones. I don't know if that's being too harsh on the lad, whether expectations are too high for keepers nowadays?

Roy Carroll is a dependable shot stopper but thats where his qualities start and end. All too many times do i find myself saying a Schmic, Cudicini, Cech, Lehmann would have save a shot. And then you have the fact he never comes off his line. I am left in panic everytime a team get a corner, free kick or just cross it into the box because i know Roy wont come and claim it even if its in his 6 yard box. If he did it would stop a whole lot of panic.

I think between Carroll and Howard we have enough quality to cover the GK position for years. I just feel we're searching too hard for someone up to Schmeichel's standards.. right now if you look at our squad I'd say it's only the midfield where changes really must be made. Other than that there is NO reason why we shouldn't be able to win the league or even CL. Maybe Roy won't make unbelievable jaw-dropping saves like others.. but imo he is good enough for us not to have to worry.. certainly on current form.

Having said all that I do expect Fergie to go and buy yet another keeper in the next year as we continue the pointless search for Schmikes II

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Terry Cheung:

I must say that when I was watching the Crystal Palace game on ahem, TV, I heard the "Feed the Scousers" song and was quite embarassed. It's old and not witty at all. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not as bad as the Man City fans calling smith a "Dirty northern bástard". I still dont get that. icon_biggrin.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bloody hell Taz. Every time you bring this up, I point out that they were singing 'Yorkshire' rather than 'Northern'. Stop ignoring me icon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

Not as bad as the Man City fans calling smith a "Dirty northern bástard". I still dont get that. icon_biggrin.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bloody hell Taz. Every time you bring this up, I point out that they were singing 'Yorkshire' rather than 'Northern'. Stop ignoring me icon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It was northern. I am not deaf, it was northern plain as day.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lufbra Bantam:

Bradford have taken Paul Tierney on loan for the rest of the season - what's he like? Can he defend at all from midfield or is he another one that Kearney's going to have to make up for in that area? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Have you heard that he's been bought to play in midfield then? Strange one, as Tierney's primarily a full-back, so I wouldn't have any concerns about the defensive side of his game if tat is where he plays for you. He was always one I thught would make it at United, but his career's stalled over the last 18 months really. A spell on loan is exactly what he needs icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

Bloody hell Taz. Every time you bring this up, I point out that they were singing 'Yorkshire' rather than 'Northern'. Stop ignoring me icon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It was northern. I am not deaf, it was northern plain as day. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Er, I was sat within 10 feet of the Citeh fans Taz, and it was definitely Yorkshire icon_biggrin.gif

Think about it, why would they sing Northern? I know we're talking about Citeh fans here, but that's just too ********, even for them.

It was northern. I am not deaf, it was northern plain as day. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Er, I was sat within 10 feet of the Citeh fans Taz, and it was definitely Yorkshire icon_biggrin.gif

Think about it, why would they sing Northern? I know we're talking about Citeh fans here, but that's just too ********, even for them. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It was northern, someone else in the thread for the game (Maybe Terry) even said it was Northern. Believe me it was not Yorkshire.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mark g:

I always thought Tierney was quite poor and would never make it as a top flight player but Wallwork. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

But Wallwork what? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did.

It was northern, someone else in the thread for the game (Maybe Terry) even said it was Northern. Believe me it was not Yorkshire. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was 10 feet away. Not watching on TV, but 10 feet away. Near enough to lip-read the words as they emerged from bitter blue mouths.

*sigh*

It was northern, someone else in the thread for the game (Maybe Terry) even said it was Northern. Believe me it was not Yorkshire. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was 10 feet away. Not watching on TV, but 10 feet away. Near enough to lip-read the words as they emerged from bitter blue mouths.

*sigh* <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yourkshire, its easy to pronounce but the City didnt say that. York-sher, easy.

Roy Carroll is a dependable shot stopper but thats where his qualities start and end. All too many times do i find myself saying a Schmic, Cudicini, Cech, Lehmann would have save a shot. And then you have the fact he never comes off his line. I am left in panic everytime a team get a corner, free kick or just cross it into the box because i know Roy wont come and claim it even if its in his 6 yard box. If he did it would stop a whole lot of panic. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't think the ever ecentric Lehmann has much if anything over Carroll.

Sorry Taz, I bow to your greater judgement. I forgot they subtitled chants for TV matches nowadays icon14.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good job. How ****ing wrong can you say Yorkshire for it not to sound like Yorkshire?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Eastwood:

Roy Carroll is a dependable shot stopper but thats where his qualities start and end. All too many times do i find myself saying a Schmic, Cudicini, Cech, Lehmann would have save a shot. And then you have the fact he never comes off his line. I am left in panic everytime a team get a corner, free kick or just cross it into the box because i know Roy wont come and claim it even if its in his 6 yard box. If he did it would stop a whole lot of panic. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't think the ever ecentric Lehmann has much if anything over Carroll. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The fact hes a better shot stopper for one. He is massive and has great reach.

Both of whom are fb. Any chance of updates? icon_smile.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah I am keeping one eye on the match. Campbell has looked the player most likely to score for England, his runs are causing Scotland all kinds of problems. Apparently had a good chance early on that I didn't catch, he missed it. Seems that Martin is playing in a defensive midfield role and is closing down the oppo well enough, they can't build through the midfield. But the Scots aren't doing much so Martin hasn't had the opportunity to make an impression so far (25 minutes in)

Martin just had a nice move, crap clearance after a mistake from the Scotland keeper gave him possession in the center of midfield, strode forward jumping over a sliding tackle with a surging run at the heart of the Scotland defence, then tried to place a shot but unfortunately was off target. The keeper would've saved it anyway but a promising attack from him icon14.gif Earlier on he flew into a silly challenge on a tricky Scotland player, but escaped with just a warning.

Frazer Campbell hasn't had much possession these last 15 minutes, it's been a crap game, mostly a midfield battle.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Paul Scholes' Regen:

Couple of our young players are representing England u18's on Sky Sports 1 atm, Frazer Campbell and I think Lee Martin. btw. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lee martin ifb.

I have been watching him for like 2-3 years. My friend was in the same team as him over at Wimbledon before he signed for United so used to go and watch them play quite a bit. A defiant star of the future.

Sorry Taz, I bow to your greater judgement. I forgot they subtitled chants for TV matches nowadays icon14.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good job. How ****ing wrong can you say Yorkshire for it not to sound like Yorkshire? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd imagine it'd be fairly easy to mistake Yorkshire for Northern when watching it on the box, but then most people with some semblance of intelligence would realise that Manchester City fans are unlikely to be singing derogatory songs about the North, and - being from M'cr - very likely to be doing so about Yorkshire.

Still Taz, you're right of course. I'm sure if you asked on any Citeh forum, they'd back you up completely icon14.gif

He looked pretty classy in the first half apart from the rash challenge, but he couldn;t do much going forward, like I said he's being used as a defensive midfielder.

Scotland have been attacking England more this second half so we should see Martin's defensive qualities tested, so far he has been tenacious, just started off a nice move for England after winning possession, and he's getting all over the pitch. He hasn't stopped running, always supporting his teammates in defence and in attack icon14.gif

Good job. How ****ing wrong can you say Yorkshire for it not to sound like Yorkshire? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd imagine it'd be fairly easy to mistake Yorkshire for Northern when watching it on the box, but then most people with some semblance of intelligence would realise that Manchester City fans are unlikely to be singing derogatory songs about the North, and - being from M'cr - very likely to be doing so about Yorkshire.

Still Taz, you're right of course. I'm sure if you asked on any Citeh forum, they'd back you up completely icon14.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just took your word for it there. And to be honest i do think football fans are that stupid. We still sing about scousers with Rooney in the side and i've no doubt we go on about Leeds with Smithy being in our side.

Archived