The Return of the Manchester United Thread v1.3 - The Future Starts Hereâ„¢

foobR

• Replies 17k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Blaine:

Thinking about doing a Christmas fact or fiction (I think we are still awaiting the results of Nick's icon_biggrin.gif)... any interest? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Christmas you say? Might be fun.

Question one: Santa Claus brings you presents. Fact ot Fiction?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by vanester:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Blaine:

Thinking about doing a Christmas fact or fiction (I think we are still awaiting the results of Nick's icon_biggrin.gif)... any interest? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Question one: Santa Claus brings you presents. Fact ot Fiction? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's fact and don't anyone dare suggest otherwise icon_mad.gif

Question Two: Malcolm Glazer is a c*nt of the highest order - Fact or Fiction? icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by vanester:

Question one: Santa Claus brings you presents. Fact ot Fiction? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's fact and don't anyone dare suggest otherwise icon_mad.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought so too but today guys in my class said Santa doesn't exist icon_confused.gificon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mika:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

Well as promised i did another video, its not brilliant but then its not meant to be. Enjoy.

http://s18.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=E4F4AE14A9F24B209A96426BCC8E7B53 <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

1hr 29mins to go icon_frown.gif

*curses dial-up* <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you're on dial up i wouldnt bother. Its not worth it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mika:

Well as promised i did another video, its not brilliant but then its not meant to be. Enjoy.

http://s18.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=E4F4AE14A9F24B209A96426BCC8E7B53 <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

1hr 29mins to go icon_frown.gif

*curses dial-up* <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you're on dial up i wouldnt bother. Its not worth it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nothing better to do tbh icon_biggrin.gif

What channel was Peter Drury doing the commentary for?

Someone posted the following on a Rovers messageboard. From USsoccer.com but he couldn't find the article again, maybe it's been removed? Think it's true? And surely he wouldn't be able to make his debut before the transfer window opens?

"Now that he’s been loaned from Manchester United to fellow English Premier League club Blackburn, it will be interesting to see if 18-year-old U.S. defender Jonathan Spector will get a start when Rovers host Newcastle United on Sunday (Dec. 26), England’s historic Boxing Day."

Bit of a question to you all, topical after Le Roi’s peerless display on MUTV yesterday.

There seems to be a bit of a debate going on in the letters pages of the fanzines about our continued veneration of Eric. Some people are arguing that it's disrespectful to the current players. That it's wishing for a time that's long gone and we should use our energy getting behind those wearing the shirt now

It's always worse at this time of the year with the 12 Cantona's song (or 12 Mr Mystery’s on Saturday icon_biggrin.gif) but I kinda see the point. None of the summer signings have a decent song devoted to them yet - well, not one that's caught on at least. Maybe if Pete Boyle got off his fat arse and did the job he's meant to do the situation would improve icon_wink.gif

I guess also, Eric's simply a very special case - how many other players, 8 years after their departure get sung about at any club? Ole's the only other person who is always sung about when he's not playing.

icon_cool.gifFact or fiction:

To begin, a free for all that isn't strictly fact or fiction but follows the same principle of predicting the near immediate future...

1) Who will we sign? If no-one, put no-one. If someone, please put:

Player/Permanent or Loan (If permanent, then immediate or Pre-contract)

eg. Mark Schwarzer/Permanent (Pre-contract)

2) Who will we sell? If no-one, put no-one. If someone, please put:

Player/to which club/Permanent or Loan (If permanent, then immediate or Pre-contract)

eg. Kleberson/Werder Bremen/Loan

Now on to the proper stuff...

3) Glazer will mount a full takeover bid

(nb. he has not done this to date; preliminary talks and speculation will not count as fact.)

4) We will win against:

a) Bolton

b) Villa

c) Boro

d) Spurs

e) Exeter (FA Cup)

(nb. I am not including replays.)

f) Chelsea (Carling Cup Semi Final Away Leg)

g) Liverpool

h) Aston Villa

i) Chelsea (Carling Cup Semi Final Home Leg)

5) Ruud will be back by the Liverpool game (15/01/05).

6) We will be less than 9 points behind Chelsea at the end of January.

7) Giggs will have signed a new contract by the end of January.

8) Roy Carroll will have signed a new contract by the end of January.

9) Should we get there, we will draw a Premiership team in the fourth round of the FA Cup.

10) Should we get there, we will have a home tie in the fourth round of the FA Cup.

BTW Got this message...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>

i wonder if you are now more inclined to use my strategy VS ROMAN + GLAZER or are you all still as smart as you were it is kind of rubbing it in but i told you so but you right you are way to smart for me

have agood you know what <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

...from you know who icon_biggrin.gif

Fact or fiction:

eg. Mark Schwarzer/Permanent (Pre-contract)

No-one

Actually

Eric Cantona/Permanent/Press Secretary and Public Relations manager

Player/to which club/Permanent or Loan (If permanent, then immediate or Pre-contract)

eg. Kleberson/Werder Bremen/Loan

Spector/QPR/Loan

(nb. he has not done this to date; preliminary talks and speculation will not count as fact.)

Fiction - Various factions will do enough to conspire against him, the ginger ****.

4) We will win against:

a) Bolton FACT

b) Villa Fact

c) Boro Fiction

d) Spurs Fiction

e) Exeter (FA Cup) Fact

(nb. I am not including replays.)

f) Chelsea (Carling Cup Semi Final Away Leg) Fiction

g) Liverpool Fact

h) Aston Villa Fact

i) Chelsea (Carling Cup Semi Final Home Leg) Fiction

Fiction

Fiction

Fiction

Fact

9) Should we get there, we will draw a Premiership team in the fourth round of the FA Cup.

Fiction

10) Should we get there, we will have a home tie in the fourth round of the FA Cup.

Fact

icon_cool.gif _Fact or fiction:_

To begin, a free for all that isn't strictly fact or fiction but follows the same principle of predicting the near immediate future...

no-one

Player/_to which club_/Permanent or Loan (If permanent, then immediate or Pre-contract)

Spector/Bolton/loan

_(nb. he has not done this to date; preliminary talks and speculation will not count as fact.)_

FICTION

4) We will win against:

a) Bolton FACT

b) Villa FACT

c) Boro FACT

d) Spurs FACT

e) Exeter (FA Cup) FACT

_(nb. I am not including replays.)_

f) Chelsea (Carling Cup Semi Final _Away Leg_)FACT

g) Liverpool FACT

h) Aston Villa FACT

i) Chelsea (Carling Cup Semi Final _Home Leg_) FACT

5) Ruud will be back by the Liverpool game (15/01/05). FACT

6) We will be less than 9 points behind Chelsea at the end of January. FACT

7) Giggs will have signed a new contract by the end of January. FACT

8) Roy Carroll will have signed a new contract by the end of January. FACT

9) Should we get there, we will draw a Premiership team in the fourth round of the FA Cup. FACT

erm FACT <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_cool.gif _Fact or fiction:_

_eg. Mark Schwarzer/Permanent (Pre-contract)_

Nobody

Player/_to which club_/Permanent or Loan (If permanent, then immediate or Pre-contract)

_eg. Kleberson/Werder Bremen/Loan_

Spector/Blackburn/Loan

_(nb. he has not done this to date; preliminary talks and speculation will not count as fact.)_

Fiction. He will pitch an offer like before and he will be told to get to ****.

4) We will win against:

a) Bolton fact

b) Villa fact

c) Boro fact

d) Spurs fact

e) Exeter (FA Cup) fact

_(nb. I am not including replays.)_

f) Chelsea (Carling Cup Semi Final _Away Leg_) fiction

g) Liverpool fact

h) Aston Villa fact

i) Chelsea (Carling Cup Semi Final _Home Leg_) fiction

fiction

fact

fiction

fiction

fact

fiction <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by James07?:

Bit of a question to you all, topical after Le Roi’s peerless display on MUTV yesterday.

There seems to be a bit of a debate going on in the letters pages of the fanzines about our continued veneration of Eric. Some people are arguing that it's disrespectful to the current players. That it's wishing for a time that's long gone and we should use our energy getting behind those wearing the shirt _now_

It's always worse at this time of the year with the 12 Cantona's song (or 12 Mr Mystery’s on Saturday icon_biggrin.gif) but I kinda see the point. None of the summer signings have a decent song devoted to them yet - well, not one that's caught on at least. Maybe if Pete Boyle got off his fat arse and did the job he's meant to do the situation would improve icon_wink.gif

I guess also, Eric's simply a very special case - how many other players, 8 years after their departure get sung about at any club? Ole's the only other person who is always sung about when he's not playing. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't have any problem with constant singing about Eric. It's infinitely preferable to the increasingly prevalent anti-Scouse/Citeh/Leeds/Arsenal(icon_frown.gif) crap that's fine in extreme moderation but has been ridiculously OTT this season. Hell, I'd prefer us to wax lyrical in song about the legend that was Ralphie Milne than to hear 'If you all hate Scousers...' trawled out yet again.

One of the fanzine columnists (possibly Fubar in UWS?) pointed out that although Rooney and Smudger have been almost unanimously accepted as Reds and indeed become pretty popular, we're still singing 'If you all hate Scousers/We all hate Leeds scúm', when a far better option would be to come up with some witty chants based on the fact that they may not be born and bred Reds but they now play for us. Shows support for the player whilst still having that wind-up factor and displaying the right level of animosity towards rivals.

One things for sure, there's been nowhere near enough support for the lads on the pitch and far too much time devoted to Liverpool/Citeh (and some incredibly cringeworthy songs about Arsenal ffs). I guess you could say singing about Le Roi is the easier option than breaking new ground with new songs about new players and our club, which is a shame as it's always been something our support has been excellent at.

Those of you who've been to aways this season, what's the atmopshere been like on them, compared to previous seasons?

Fact or Fiction

1) Who will we sign?

Stuart Downing (Permanent, Immediate)

Steven Gerrard (Permanent, Immediate)

Or alternatively, no-one icon_frown.gif

2) Who will we sell?

Spector - Coventry (Loan)

O'Shea - Newcastle (Permanent, Immediate)

Fiction - I've every faith the combined efforts of IMUSA/SU/MEC/RAG and everyone else will force anyone even considering backing his bid (and boy does he need backing) to think again, and I've a reasonable degree of faith in Gill continuing to do the right thing

4) We will win against:

a) Bolton - Fact

b) Villa - Fact

c) Boro - Fiction

d) Spurs - Fact

e) Exeter (FA Cup) - Fact

f) Chelsea (Carling Cup Semi Final Away Leg) - Fiction

g) Liverpool - Fact

h) Aston Villa - Fact

i) Chelsea (Carling Cup Semi Final _Home Leg_) - Fact

Fact - hopefully

Fact

Fact

Fiction - bye bye Roy

Fiction

Fact

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by drainedvitality:

I cant see you signing Gerrard tbh. If/when he becomes available I'd say either Chelsea or Real will be able to snap him before you do. Not only can those clubs out bid you but they could offer a higher percentage of the transfer fee up front rather than over so many months. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How do you work that out? We are the richest club in football and always offer most of a transfer fee up front and generally offer massive wages. Just because Gill says there is no money to spend without selling players first does not mean we cant afford but we are looking at the bigger picture and keeping within the business plan that has made us the richest club in the world.

That said sadly i dont see us signing him.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by drainedvitality:

I cant see you signing Gerrard tbh. If/when he becomes available I'd say either Chelsea or Real will be able to snap him before you do. Not only can those clubs out bid you but they could offer a higher percentage of the transfer fee up front rather than over so many months. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wasn't being entirely serious tbh icon_wink.gif

How do you work that out? We are the richest club in football and always offer most of a transfer fee up front and generally offer massive wages. Just because Gill says there is no money to spend without selling players first does not mean we cant afford but we are looking at the bigger picture and keeping within the business plan that has made us the richest club in the world.

That said sadly i dont see us signing him. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Anything Man Utd can offer, Chelsea could double. Simple as.

Gerrard would be ideal for United though. Perfect replacement for Keane imo. And I can see Fergie fighting tooth and nail to get him. I just feel that he will lose out on this one.

That said sadly i dont see us signing him. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Anything Man Utd can offer, Chelsea could double. Simple as.

Gerrard would be ideal for United though. Perfect replacement for Keane imo. And I can see Fergie fighting tooth and nail to get him. I just feel that he will lose out on this one. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Chelsea could offer double, yeah, but your assuming that Mourinho wants him (and would want to offer him megabucks and risk squad unrest) and that money is the be-all and end-all for Gerrard. I'm sure Liverpool are paying him a handsome sum, and I think it's pretty clear the only reason he would consider leaving is to win things.

If he sees United as viable contenders for major trophies, then why not? The Smith and Rooney transfers have broken down a lot of barriers - there's been no backlash at United and nowhere near as much as feared in Leeds or Liverpool. Add to that the opportunity to stay in the North West and the fact he's best mates with Wayne (BB ran with this as their main story this month, with sources suggesting the deal's not as unfeasible as some would suggest, and also suggesting Gerrard wasn't interested in Chelsea after Kenyon dropped him in it re: certain text messages in the summer).

Meh, I'm just playing devil's advocate tbh as I don't think we'll get him, but you never know....

But like I said, would they want him? Where's he going to play? Mourinho has shown he's not interested in accumulating a huge squad of great players only to have to leave half of them in the stands on match day. Are they really going to fork out £30m or so, plus presumably a 6-figure weekly salary, on someone they don't really need? I'm not sure even Chelsea are that obscenely reckless in the transfer market.

Besides, I think a lot of people are coming round to the idea that Fergie's building his next great side here, and the lure of being the driving force behind that - the final piece of the jigsaw - might be a very attractive one and worth the hassle. Plus, he'll have company with Wayne and his missus can spend all day every day frittering away his massive wage packet with young Coleen icon14.gif

I dont doubt that he would like to play for United, I just feel that right now with Chelsea's financial muscle they can sign whoever is willing to play for them. And as far as winning trophies goes, only time will tell but I think that Chelsea are far better equiped than United.

You do bring up a good point regarding Kenyon. Though we dont really know what went on there.

Fact or fiction:

no-one

Kleberson/At. Madrid/Loan (with view to permanent), Djemba-Djemba (prays)/PSG/Permanent

FACT - but an unsuccessful one

4) We will win against:

a) Bolton FACT

b) Villa FACT

c) Boro FACT

d) Spurs FACT

e) Exeter (FA Cup) FACT

(nb. I am not including replays.

f) Chelsea (Carling Cup Semi Final Away Leg) FICTION

g) Liverpool FICTION

h) Aston Villa FACT

i) Chelsea (Carling Cup Semi Final Home Leg) FACT - but it won't be enough

FICTION

FACT

FACT

FICTION - he's off

FICTION

FACT

1) Who will we sign?

No-one.

2) Who will we sell?

Spector - Loan - Blackburn (obvious choice)

Fact - He will launch a bid. Whether it succeeds or not is another matter

4) We will win against:

a) Bolton - Fact

b) Villa - Fact

c) Boro - Fact

d) Spurs - Fact

e) Exeter (FA Cup) - Fact

f) Chelsea (Carling Cup Semi Final _Away Leg_) - Fiction

g) Liverpool - Fact

h) Aston Villa - Fact

i) Chelsea (Carling Cup Semi Final _Home Leg_) - Fiction

5) Ruud will be back by the Liverpool game (15/01/05). - Fiction

6) We will be less than 9 points behind Chelsea at the end of January. - Fact

7) Giggs will have signed a new contract by the end of January. - Fact

8) Roy Carroll will have signed a new contract by the end of January. - Fiction icon_frown.gif

9) Should we get there, we will draw a Premiership team in the fourth round of the FA Cup. - Fact

10) Should we get there, we will have a home tie in the fourth round of the FA Cup. - Fiction

Archived