The Return of the Manchester United Thread v1.3 - The Future Starts Hereâ„¢

foobR

• Replies 17k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gonch19:

just read that we've only scored 23 goals in 17 games which is pretty poor for a team with such good players both upfront and in attacking midfield areas <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's dreadful actually. Though after watching the Fulham game, I can undestand why. In the 2nd half, every player was out of position, it was terrible.

Ronaldo to get a break? Bit of a negative spin put on it by The Sun:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>CRISTIANO RONALDO has been given an enforced break as his team-mates lose patience with the Portuguese star.

Gary Neville and Alan Smith tore into the Manchester United winger, 19, for his wasteful play in the last two games.

And after Monday’s draw with Fulham, Old Trafford boss Alex Ferguson sent Ronaldo home to Madeira for a fortnight’s breather.

Neville gave Ronaldo a roasting for wasting a golden chance against Southampton when he tried a clever chip and missed instead of being more clinical in front of goal.

Ronaldo scores in United’s 3-0 win but refused to celebrate it and also looked unhappy as part of the second string for the meaningless Champions League game in Istanbul against Fenerbahce. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

More goalkeeper rumours say that both we and Arsenal are watching Shay Given, who is unhappy at St James. A fee of £7m-£8m is expected if he goes, so if we did bid it would be most likely cash plus a player, possibly Giggs but much more likely O'Shea.

Personally, Given has always been one of those goalkeepers who i really like, but i wouldn't want us to buy. I think he's a great shot-stopper, but i worry how commanding he is in his area. He's "only" 6ft tall, which isn't huge for a keeper, and we've always been better with someone who commands their area.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wicom:

shay given gets involved in far too many mix ups with his defence for my liking. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just wonder how many goalkeepers in the world wouldn't get involved in mix ups with that defence, though.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ryno:

It's dreadful actually. Though after watching the Fulham game, I can undestand why. In the 2nd half, every player was out of position, it was terrible. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is both the strength and weakness of the current formation. When it is working, the players being so interchangeable makes them really difficult to mark, and allows for some really flowing, fluid football. On the downside, when it's not working like the 2nd half against Fulham, it looks as you described it. Although i'd say terrible was being over dramatic. It wasn't working brilliantly, but even then we were still the better team.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> 'Pirates clear decks for Man United

CLEAR your schedule for January 18 — that’s when Manchester United will take on Orlando Pirates at Ellis Park in Johannesburg. While thousands of local United fans are dying to see the glamour team in action, United’s pending trip here has proven to be a daunting task for stakeholders.

Pirates are scheduled to play Jomo Cosmos on January 19, which means they need to have that game postponed, but PSL CEO Trevor Phillips stood his ground and said that he was not going to delay an official league match for a friendly clash.

Phillips said the only option was to bring forward the Pirates/Cosmos match because postponements hurt the league programme. January 18 is the only available date on United’s busy schedule.

Fortunately Cosmos say they will gladly accede to the Buccaneers’ requests if approached.

“I don’t have a problem,†said Cosmos boss Jomo Sono. “United have many followers locally and a visit will be good for the country.â€

This is music to the ears of the organisers who were relieved to have found a date that will suit all the stakeholders: United, Pirates and the Ellis Park management.

Pirates spokesman Mickey Modi-sane said he was waiting for an official briefing from chairman Irvin Khoza, who has been dealing with Ellis Park CEO George Stainton.

“We are waiting for final confirmation from Manchester United,†said Stainton.

Initial arrangements involved United playing Kaizer Chiefs, but the PSL champions have a crowded schedule and reluctantly pulled out. Chiefs have a lot of catching up to do in the league, having played the least number of games.

The organisers are excited at the prospect of hosting one of the most famous football clubs in the world.

“It has been difficult to find a date to accommodate everyone,†said Dudley Horn, director of organisers Warwick Sports and Media.

It will be United’s second visit to the country since readmission to the world’s sporting arena. Together with Arsenal they toured in 1993 for friendly matches against Chiefs. ' <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Utter utter madness

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Father *******:

Dino Zoff, Gordon Banks and Lev Yashin would have got into mix ups with Titus Bramble playing in front of them. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And at international level, he often has Gary Breen to contend with icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by James07?:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Blaine:

James, did you ever get that email? icon_biggrin.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

yep, not sure what to make of it though! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Me neither... well, I would probably file it under "RORO", for the time being icon_biggrin.gif

Following on from this story from www.sundaytimes.co.za Red News understands that United ARE in discussions about playing in South Africa (how mad is that, that distance for ONE game, during the season?!!) and if there isn't a replay against Exeter (very late notice for any Red to book if they want to go) then it could well happen next month...

icon_mad.gificon_eek.gificon_frown.gif etc etc etc etc

Manchester United have confirmed they are considering an offer to go to South Africa in January to play a friendly against Orlando Pirates. If the match goes ahead, it has been pencilled in for 18 January, provided United do not need a replay from their FA Cup third round tie with Exeter. The club say it would give players a break from the English winter.

"It's down to the coaches whether the players would benefit from some sun on their backs," said a club spokesman.

Manager Sir Alex Ferguson has previously criticised long-haul trips for their detrimental effect on players' domestic performances. But it is thought the trip to South Africa is one of the closer options available.

From BBC.....

OK, it's not Japan or the US, but still icon_mad.gif

He really knows how to wind us up icon_mad.gif

The fixture list for that period btw:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

Sat 8/1 15:00 Exeter City FAC3 H

Wed 12/1 20:00 Chelsea CC S/F A

Sat 15/1 12:30 Liverpool FAPL A

Sat 22/1 15:00 Aston Villa FAPL H

Wed 26/1 20:00 Chelsea CC S/F H

Sat 29/1 15:00 FA Cup 4th Rnd FAC4

</pre>

Out of interest, does anyone remember how long the players were in Dubai for in the middle part of last season? I imagine it would have been a similar time...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Blaine:

The fixture list for that period btw:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

Sat 8/1 15:00 Exeter City FAC3 H

Wed 12/1 20:00 Chelsea CC S/F A

Sat 15/1 12:30 Liverpool FAPL A

Sat 22/1 15:00 Aston Villa FAPL H

Wed 26/1 20:00 Chelsea CC S/F H

Sat 29/1 15:00 FA Cup 4th Rnd FAC4

</pre>

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bit presumptious to presume you'll beat Exter at Old Trafford tbh. icon_razz.gif

Out of interest, does anyone remember how long the players were in Dubai for in the middle part of last season? I imagine it would have been a similar time... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually that's a good point. It worked really well last season, didn't it...... Oh icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BelfastNiall:

Bit presumptious to presume you'll beat Exter at Old Trafford tbh. icon_razz.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The article already said there wouldn't be a match out there if there was a replay, so that was already taken into consideration icon_razz.gificon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pjburrage:

http://s4.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=294C41421E59DD96B235AC82EA5DB2C2

An Oscar contender in my opinion. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My depression over the Fulham result had eased just enough to watch this and then the opening minute made me even more depressed than i was before and the rest of the vid couldnt lift it. icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Taz & The Devil:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pjburrage:

http://s4.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=294C41421E59DD96B235AC82EA5DB2C2

An Oscar contender in my opinion. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My depression over the Fulham result had eased just enough to watch this and then the opening minute made me even more depressed than i was before and the rest of the vid couldnt lift it. icon_frown.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not even the last clip? That should cheer any United fan up.

Archived