The Return of the Manchester United Thread v1.3 - The Future Starts Hereâ„¢

foobR

• Replies 17k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone else wonder who'll be in goal at the weekend? If Fergie sees Roy and Tim as equals, in competition with each other, there should be no change, but i wonder if he see's Tim as the long term number one and roy as backup? If he does, i guess there's a slight possibility that he's just been waiting for a mistake to bring Tim back in from his "rest"?

I don't mention Ricardo as i just don't see him as being in contention.

It depends whether Fergie actually believes Carroll has the ability to be the long-term #1. If he throws Timmeh back in at the sign of the first error from Roy, then that'll be the end of Carroll's time at OT. I expect him to keep faith with Roythough, he's been excellent bar that one shocker on Tuesday.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

It depends whether Fergie actually believes Carroll has the ability to be the long-term #1. If he throws Timmeh back in at the sign of the first error from Roy, then that'll be the end of Carroll's time at OT. I expect him to keep faith with Roythough, he's been excellent bar that one shocker on Tuesday. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That was my thoughts, that it really is make or break for Roy. If he is dropped, it sends the message that he's definately number 2, which would seem to be the end for him.

No votes for Ricardo then? icon_wink.gif

Some snippets from RN:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>[23] Keane on Ruud

Thursday, November 25, 2004

“I don’t know what it is about European nights for Ruud. It’s nice to be through and we are creating plenty of chances.â€

[22] Wes praise for Ruud

“Ruud has pulled another one out for us again. I’m definitely glad he is on our side not the opposition. We play against him every day and we know his capabilities. He always brings it out in European games.â€

[21] Keane perspective

“I don’t know if this will be a turning point. We have had decent results before and felt we were back and then slipped up and had a bad result. The improvement over the last few weeks has been very good. We need to keep going now.â€

[20] More Heinze

“We are going for trophies on all fronts. We’re going out to win the Premiership just as hard as we are trying to win in Europe — and the team is capable of winning both.â€[18] Heinze on Ruud

"It's almost absurd for me to start talking about Ruud because everyone knows how good he is. For me, he is the most complete forward in the world and I do what I can just to try and avoid playing against him in training."

[17] Heinze on Fergie

"I haven't had the hair-dryer treatment myself but I have seen one or two things when the games have not been going so well. But that's just a normal part of football. I don't find it scary. The only things I am scared of are aeroplanes As long as my legs will carry me, I am not thinking about having a rest, only about the next game. I am very happy here and so far things have gone fine. My team-mates have helped me settle in, which has made it a lot easier for me." <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon14.gif

(ghifb)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

He'll be on Channel 5 tonight, for Villareal against Boro icon14.gif

Think Ricardo did pretty well for Santander from what I've heard :/ <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Forlan is cup tied because he played 2 mins in the CL for us. Daft i know. I would swear i have seen the game advertised with Forlan playing a big part in the advert.

And we've been drawn at home to Stoke in the third round of the FA Youth Cup. It's to be played at Moss Lane (icon13.gif) on Thursday 16th December (icon13.gif, I'm almost certain to be working). <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Thursdays icon13.gif

Team for tonight v Toffees:

Heaton, Picken, Lawrence, Spector, M. Howard, Heath, Eagles, Jones, Richardson, Poole, Blake.

***FAO EVERYONE***

"]http://www.shareholdersunited.org/hsbc.php

Please take a look and do your bit.

Forlan still loves us

Villarreal's Diego Forlan has hailed the progress made by Middlesbrough over the past couple of seasons.

Speaking ahead of Thursday night's Uefa Cup clash between the sides, the former Manchester United striker insisted Steve McClaren's outfit had now proved themselves as a top Premiership side.

The Uruguayan was a target for the Teessiders before opting to move to Old Trafford in January 2002 and revealed he was impressed by what he had seen of the North East club prior to his transfer to United.

After an unconvincing spell in The Premiership he has now settled in Spain and believes he has joined a club with many similarities to Boro.

"There were conversations with Middlesbrough and we were close to a deal but then Manchester United came in," Forlan explained to skysports.com.

"I liked what I saw of Middlesbrough - the town, the club, everything. It's just that when a club like United make an offer it is impossible to turn them down.

"I think the clubs (Middlesbrough and Villarreal) are quite similar.

"They've both got a lot stronger over the last two years and consolidated their position as top teams in their leagues.

"It will be a hard game for us because we have players out and they are on form after beating Liverpool at the weekend, but we are confident."

The Uruguayan is one of the players who will not be available to face Middlesbrough as he has already appeared for Manchester United in European competition this season - a two-minute cameo in a UEFA Champions League qualifier against Dinamo Bucharest.

The 25-year-old is frustrated he will have to watch from the stands, but bears no grudge against United either for that appearance or his ultimately rushed departure from Old Trafford.

"At the end of the day I was there to play," he continued.

"Although I knew I would most likely be leaving, I wanted to wait until the last second.

"My priority was still to play for Manchester United. It was in my interests to play those two minutes at the time and I don't regret it."

Already with four goals to his name, Forlan has adapted quickly to life in Spain and has forged a close understanding with a number of Villarreal's South American contingent - especially Argentine schemer Juan Roman Riquelme.

The ex-Independiente forward admits he now feels relaxed in Spain, but hinted he still retained a soft spot for Manchester.

"I wouldn't say I am happier here than at Manchester United, but I am happy," he added.

"There is a good relationship here between the players and I feel comfortable. I like the style of play here at Villarreal and I'm linking up well with Riquelme.

"To be honest, I am happy pretty much anywhere as long as I am playing football."

and i still love him icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Blaine:

Erm, helps if I don't mess up the coding.

http://www.shareholdersunited.org/hsbc.php <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

dare i ask has any one discussed setting up with a new bank at all??

bound to be one supportive bank, hell offer them a bit of free advertising as bait icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Blaine:

Erm, helps if I don't mess up the coding.

http://www.shareholdersunited.org/hsbc.php <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've no problem with sending the letter. Minus a few details

I feel putting:

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>

<LI> My Name<LI> My Address<LI> My Sortcode<LI> My Branch<LI> My Account number

<LI>

In a letter to anybody is just asking for trouble so i shall be ensuring that i merely inform the gentleman that if he wishes to check to see if i am a customer of his, he can check his database using my Name and Addess.

Eagles' goal was uber. I was right behind the goal, just about to head towards the bar when it went in - you could see me on SSN making a sudden change of direction icon_biggrin.gif

My hands were still stinging at that point from having Kieran Richardson blast a shot RIGHT AT MY FACE icon_mad.gif

Didn't chip a tooth though icon_frown.gif

Brilliant performance from our boys tonight really - first ten minutes it looked like we were really going to struggle to make a game of it. The pitch was pretty poor and it was hard for United to get into their rhythm in terms of passing, and any aerial ball was a waste as Everton had a big advantage in terms of physical stature (their two centre-backs were bloody giants).

But the Reds gradually played themselves back into the game, shrugged off the early Everton goal and pretty much dominated the half after that, and it shouldn't have taken so long to level the game up. Colin Heath had a great game out wide on the right, he put some fantastic crosses in, the sort we've been crying out for at first team level lately tbh. Sylvan was a constant menace upfront and smacked a shot against the upright from a very narrow angle with Richard Wright beaten. Richardson and Poole both really should have scored, but we had to wait until the 43rd minute for the equaliser. It was well worth the wait though - brilliant work from Jonah on the edge of the box and coolly finished by Eagles.

I'd only got about another 100 yards nearer to the bar when United took the lead - Richardson firing in a vicious shot from the left corner of the box which Wright could only parry to give David Poole the simplest of headers to make it 2-1 at half-time. Then, as seems to be the way this season, the boys came out after the break all guns blazing and netted within seconds of the restart (only just made it out of the bar in time icon_biggrin.gif), Bosnar turning into his own net after a dangerous low cross. Tbf to the guy, the goalmouths were in atrocious condition so it wouldn't surprise me in the least if it took a nasty bobble as he was trying to knock it clear.

The game fizzled out a bit after that. United came closest to adding to the goal tally - Jones hitting the post and Blake firing narrowly wide on a couple of occasions, whilst Everton's best chance to get back into the game came from the penalty spot after Howard inexplicably handled in the box (bit lucky to escape a card I thought :/). That danger was averted by Tommy heaton diving full-length to his left to palm the spot-kick away brilliantly - Ricardo eat your heart out icon_cool.gif

Ricky Sbragia took the opportunity to give Ben Collett and Mads Timm a run-out in place of the visibly tiring Heath and Richardson, as the game wound down and United cruised to a comfortable win against a side that did the double over them last year. Stand-out performers were Jones (yet again - djifffb icon_cool.gif), Eagles and Blake, while Heath put in the best performance I've seen from him at this level, and the same could be said for Phil Picken. Richardson had another good game too.

Special mention to the referee - didn't do too badly and got most of the major decisions right, but he was the most out-of-shape official I have ever seen. Any time either side counter-attacked with any degree of haste, he was languishing about 50 yards behind the play and looking in serious need of an inhaler and a good sit down. The pitch at Moss Lane did look pretty energy-sapping, but tbh, he was like that in the first 5 minutes icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

I didn't watch the game live on MUTV as I often do, but from the highlights on the Red Hot News it looked like a good game.

Tom Heaton made a fantastic save from the PK. Well done Tom!

My brother is an Eagles obsessive (he met him when United sent a reserve team to Bristol City). He always seems happy to meet the fans.

As for the referees, they're always really good!

Chris

My hands were still stinging at that point from having Kieran Richardson blast a shot RIGHT AT MY FACE icon_mad.gif

Didn't chip a tooth though icon_frown.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>unlucky icon_frown.gif

At least you saved it/saw it coming icon_biggrin.gif

Bits on RN:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> [27] Carroll on Lyon goal

"It just came straight at me. I tried to get down on it but I should have done better. It is over now, we got the result we needed so let's get on with it." It was a fierce shot but it has happened. Now I just have to look ahead to the next game. You have to forget about it and get on with it. It's a mistake and you can't do anything about it now."

[29] Fergie

"Both Arsenal and Chelsea conceding goals in the last ten minutes was a bonus. Dropping the points is a big boost to us. We’re still nine points behind Chelsea and seven points behind Arsenal, so there is still a bit to go. But what we are trying to do at the moment is get a consistent run of victories."

"It is absolutely imperative that we win our matches against the teams in the bottom half of the league. If we win these matches, by the time the New Year comes around we will hopefully be much, much closer. You certainly get an idea of how the league is shaping up going into January. The teams in the bottom don’t normally pick up a lot of points. In my experience as manager, one of the top three or four teams in January is certainly going to take the title."

[11] Landmarks to come?

Friday, November 26, 2004

from the BBC

'* Ruud VAN NISTELROOY is the second highest scorer amongst Premiership players this season with 11 goals, three behind Arsenal's Thierry HENRY. Only three of the Dutchman's goals have been in the League and all three from the penalty spot.

* If he lines-up for the kick off, VAN NISTELRROY will be making his 150th start for the Old Trafford club.

* Roy KEANE needs one goal to total 50 for Manchester United.

* If he runs out, Phil NEVILLE will be making his 250th Premiership appearance for the Red Devils.'

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Manchester United are understood to have made an enquiry for England star Owen Hargreaves.

The Bayern Munich midfielder has never hidden his desire to play in The Premiership.

However, so far the likes of Tottenham and Middlesbrough are the only sides to show a real interest and that has seemingly not really been enough to persuade Hargreaves to give up regular UEFA Champions League football in Munich.

But the interest from United could very well test both Bayern and Hargreaves's resolve.

The 23-year-old's all-action combative style would no doubt see him fit into the English game with relative ease.

United - who despite having youngsters Darren Fletcher, Liam Miller and Cristiano Ronaldo in their midfield - are obviously concerned that there are no ready-made replacements in their squad for the likes Paul Scholes and more importantly captain Roy Keane.

Liverpool and Arsenal are also said to be keeping tabs on Hargreaves's situation and a battle amongst England's elite could very well develop.

Hargreaves is contracted to Bayern until 2006 and has overcome problems with coach Felix Magath and he is now very much part of the club's first team plans.

Leading German daily Kicker has reported that Sir Alex Ferguson made contact with Bayern before their 5-1 hammering of Maccabi Tel Aviv in midweek - a game which saw Hargreaves stretchered off after half an hour following a clash of heads.

It remains to be seen what Bayern's response was, although it is unlikely to have been favourable - but should United be keen, a summer or even January bid could be in the pipeline.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

link

Hehehehe... I'm backing you all the way on this one. icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>

United in Owen approach

Manchester United are understood to have made an enquiry for England star Owen Hargreaves.

The Bayern Munich midfielder has never hidden his desire to play in The Premiership.

However, so far the likes of Tottenham and Middlesbrough are the only sides to show a real interest and that has seemingly not really been enough to persuade Hargreaves to give up regular UEFA Champions League football in Munich.

But the interest from United could very well test both Bayern and Hargreaves's resolve.

The 23-year-old's all-action combative style would no doubt see him fit into the English game with relative ease.

United - who despite having youngsters Darren Fletcher, Liam Miller and Cristiano Ronaldo in their midfield - are obviously concerned that there are no ready-made replacements in their squad for the likes Paul Scholes and more importantly captain Roy Keane.

Liverpool and Arsenal are also said to be keeping tabs on Hargreaves's situation and a battle amongst England's elite could very well develop.

Hargreaves is contracted to Bayern until 2006 and has overcome problems with coach Felix Magath and he is now very much part of the club's first team plans.

Leading German daily Kicker has reported that Sir Alex Ferguson made contact with Bayern before their 5-1 hammering of Maccabi Tel Aviv in midweek - a game which saw Hargreaves stretchered off after half an hour following a clash of heads.

It remains to be seen what Bayern's response was, although it is unlikely to have been favourable - but should United be keen, a summer or even January bid could be in the pipeline.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

All i can say is please god no. Hes crap. It strikes me that Fergie has bought 1 midfielder in the last decade that is any good, Ronaldo. Hes the only one who can be classed as someone with the potential to be world class.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by James M:

As good as he is for Bayern, Hargreaves has never shone for England, and I can't help but think another central midfielder can only be a bad thing. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm just not sure. He seems to me to have a lot of the attributes to be an excellent defensive central midfielder. I've liked what little i've seen of him, i just don't feel i've seen enough to decide yet. Whenever he's played for England it's almost always been out of position, and i've only seen a very few games of his for Bayern. I'd just need to see more to make my mind up.

Doubt there will be any reserve clips knocking about foobs - if I see anything I will pass it on... the only other solution is to get a sub to MUTV.

Can't really comment too much about Hargreaves because I very rarely see him play but I'd say he's more like the next Phil Nev than the next Keane.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ericcantona7:

alright then let's give the league to Arsenal, it won't matter as long as Liverpool get 3 points less this season. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You never, ever EVER wish Liverpoo points. EVER. Arsenal won't win the league by beating Liverpoo in November. If it was April and we were in with a shout, fair enough (maybe) but it isn't and therefore is utterly unacceptable icon13.gif Jesus f*cking christ, what next?

Wishing for a Citeh win? did you celebrate when they beat Chelski? I'll bet you did you traitorous cur icon_mad.gif

Archived