Struggling 4-1-2-3

Started the season off flying winning 6 of my first 8, then in typical FM fashion haven't  won in the next 8 losing 7. 

Ive changed nothing, literally nothing. 

Gk d

LB (a)

DCB (c)

DCB (c)

RB (s)

DM (d)

BWM (s)

AP (s)

LEFT IF (s)

RIGHT WING (a)

DLF (a)

Only team instructions I have are play out of defence and prevent short distribution.

is there something glaringly obvious I'm missing? 

Really starting ling to have the fun sucked from the game getting hammered each game  

What roles are the LB and RB? I'll assume FBs.

What mentality and team shape do you use?

2 of your 3 attackers are attack duty with your central midfield pair both support duties and don't really look to get up field quickly to support the attack. This can work if your attacking quickly and opponents push up and leave space for those attacks.

I'm guessing they are starting to sit deeper and commit less players to attacks.

There are lots of options, you could make the forwards more patient by changing duties, you could get the midfield to get forward sooner, maybe just need to lower mentality (assuming your not using one), could put the AP with the IF to combine deeper before switching to wingers flank...

What's right? Depends what you see on the patch and what your players can do. 

25 minutes ago, summatsupeer said:

What roles are the LB and RB? I'll assume FBs.

What mentality and team shape do you use?

2 of your 3 attackers are attack duty with your central midfield pair both support duties and don't really look to get up field quickly to support the attack. This can work if your attacking quickly and opponents push up and leave space for those attacks.

I'm guessing they are starting to sit deeper and commit less players to attacks.

There are lots of options, you could make the forwards more patient by changing duties, you could get the midfield to get forward sooner, maybe just need to lower mentality (assuming your not using one), could put the AP with the IF to combine deeper before switching to wingers flank...

What's right? Depends what you see on the patch and what your players can do. 

Thanks for the reply, mate. 

1) Yeah they're both FB's. 

2) I use Standard and Flexible. 

3) Yeah they sit pretty deep I will try what you said there. 

My my main frustration is my players seem to just walk around and let the opposition do what they want. My team have literally went from 2nd place to 19th and won 1 game in between. Surely, no matter what the AI do, my team shouldn't go that poor, that quickly. 

I was expecting Control + Fluid tbh, most tactics on here asking for help use that combo :lol:  In a way you've told your players to play more structured, having 2/3 attack duties up front, the midfield create and the defence/dm defend. Even though your on a balance mentality and flexible team shape, those forward attack duties will be quite attack minded (more likely to take a shot/risky action and less likely to play safe such as a simple backwards possession pass) and the AP will be more than willing to play it to them, but then who can catch up with the play?

Just to make sure, those were options, i'm not saying do it all.  Watch the game, then make the change and watch if it has the effect on the players your expecting then re-assess.

I don't think i've ever seen a player "just walk around", i've seen them get skinned by opponents because i've put them in a bad situation and/or because the opponents player is much better, i've seen them run around like headless chickens because they can't get close to the ball because i've told them to chase it, etc.  If you want them to play safer you need to tell them to, if you want a specific player to play in a different area you'll need to tell him to etc.  Your players do, to the best of there attributes, what you tell them to do.

1 hour ago, Sunlinlad said:

Started the season off flying winning 6 of my first 8, then in typical FM fashion haven't  won in the next 8 losing 7. 

Ive changed nothing, literally nothing. 

Gk d

LB (a)

DCB (c)

DCB (c)

RB (s)

DM (d)

BWM (s)

AP (s)

LEFT IF (s)

RIGHT WING (a)

DLF (a)

Only team instructions I have are play out of defence and prevent short distribution.

is there something glaringly obvious I'm missing? 

Really starting ling to have the fun sucked from the game getting hammered each game  

What i tend to do with a formation like yours is use a central midfielder with a preference for wanting to get in the box, i set him to central midfielder on attack, then have a striker who has a role to come deep.

Then the wide players on attack, but have the second midfielder just with a safe role retaining posession and basically staying behind the ball. A central midfielder on support works well for me.

Worth a try, coukd just work for me with the teams ive had success with and suitable players particularly napoli

1 hour ago, summatsupeer said:

I was expecting Control + Fluid tbh, most tactics on here asking for help use that combo :lol:  In a way you've told your players to play more structured, having 2/3 attack duties up front, the midfield create and the defence/dm defend. Even though your on a balance mentality and flexible team shape, those forward attack duties will be quite attack minded (more likely to take a shot/risky action and less likely to play safe such as a simple backwards possession pass) and the AP will be more than willing to play it to them, but then who can catch up with the play?

Just to make sure, those were options, i'm not saying do it all.  Watch the game, then make the change and watch if it has the effect on the players your expecting then re-assess.

I don't think i've ever seen a player "just walk around", i've seen them get skinned by opponents because i've put them in a bad situation and/or because the opponents player is much better, i've seen them run around like headless chickens because they can't get close to the ball because i've told them to chase it, etc.  If you want them to play safer you need to tell them to, if you want a specific player to play in a different area you'll need to tell him to etc.  Your players do, to the best of there attributes, what you tell them to do.

Cheers. 

Been thinking about putting my winger on support or maybe even another IF. 

This is coupled with one of the CM's having an attacking mentality might do the trick. 

Archived