Unable to stop the rot

Started off flying, get beat once or twice and can't buy a win ever since, EXACTLY the same as last years FM. Ive literally changed nothing.

You need a PHD nowadays to play this 'game'.

Any tips on how to get my team to behave like professional footballers instead of just standing around looking disinterested would be a massive help. 

Come on put a little effort in, whats your team? Were they overachieving? Whats your tactic?

Just because you've changed nothing doesn't mean the AI won't change.  They'll respect you more if your "flying" and adjust there expectations for the game, maybe resulting in playing a style that yours struggles with.

13 minutes ago, summatsupeer said:

Come on put a little effort in, whats your team? Were they overachieving? Whats your tactic?

Just because you've changed nothing doesn't mean the AI won't change.  They'll respect you more if your "flying" and adjust there expectations for the game, maybe resulting in playing a style that yours struggles with.

Ive done it on another thread mate, if you wouldn't mind having a look and a bit feed back?

cheers 

14 minutes ago, summatsupeer said:

Also, what do I do to counteract the AI changing? I can't change tactics every other game 

1 hour ago, Sunlinlad said:

Started off flying, get beat once or twice and can't buy a win ever since, EXACTLY the same as last years FM. Ive literally changed nothing.

You need a PHD nowadays to play this 'game'.

Any tips on how to get my team to behave like professional footballers instead of just standing around looking disinterested would be a massive help. 

I actually agree with you. The game is pants lets be honest it doesnt capture real football in any way and in real life teams dont usually have whole peaks and troughs in form.

My ways of getting out of this are usually

1) try and make space on the field or utilise it differently. If theyre respecting you more and dropping off you, i try and get players in the space in front of the back 4 or play counter myself to try and draw them out of position.

2) tweak the tactic SLIGHTLY to change its emphasis. Maybe a midfielder breaking through the lines mixed with a striker dropping deep. Just a slight change to the source of goals or creativity. But the overall structure is familiar.

3) have players in your team you can rely on. For me is the determined players. Pick those who maintain consistent form and dont spit their dummies out.

4) if all else fails quit the save and do a more enjoyable one. Its a game, and a crap one at that. Give it some of its own medicine back.

3 minutes ago, RTHerringbone said:

You make three pretty decent points, and then spoil it with this crap :herman:

Not really mate. If you dont enjoy a save then quit it and do one you do.

The game IS rubbish. Whether yourr good at it or not is irrelevant. Ive won leagues everywhere and still think its rubbish.

You might think its brilliant and thats fine but if you think its rubbish theres no need for martyrs to try and defend it as if its their duty.

35 minutes ago, FMunderachiever said:

I actually agree with you. The game is pants lets be honest it doesnt capture real football in any way and in real life teams dont usually have whole peaks and troughs in form.

That's true as real football has been consistently more random than the game. Burnley conceding an average of 20+ shots whilst maintining to concede less than 0.4 goals per match for months (was never going to last). Dortmund 2014/2015 consistently creating decent chances but failing to put them away, whilst their opposition did so at an alarming rate for the entirety of six months, result of which being that you had the dead last in the table being the side which also created the third most openings in the league, just a few behind Bayern. Crystal Palace starting this season, recording close to 100 shots in over the first two months, an average of 10+ per match at least, scoring precisely zero. Never seen anything like that in-game ever, and that's not one off. If it would happen, these forums were to explode (and perhaps, wouldn't make for a very good "game" to some). Reason of which what is perceived as "form" not seldom is random chance. Like when Werder Bremen suddenly go from hapless to winning 6 matches on the bounce, not because they suddenly went from below average to sublime. But because football scorelines on average remain pityfully close, and are settled in key moments of play. Even forward streaks happen all themselves, as outside of pens and tap-ins, the forward is rarely in the edge to score, and career stats are pretty constant (they convert about every 5thish attempt, whilst most of them average 2 or less per match, with only Messi, Ronaldo and the like 5+ per match).

FM still lacks a few feedback on all of this, and so far FM 2018 seems less predictable before also (in parts as you can't as easily flood the centre of the pitch and spam possession anymore at least from my experience so far, also to hold onto leads -- 5 months in-game time without conceding past the 75 minutes mark previous etc.). But prior releases in particular, no way. Football is far more up and down than anything in game, except if your random stuff adds more randomness into the mix. That said, to argue the game would perfectly catch football would be silly. It's a sim. It only could if it would be the real thing. Which it obviously ain't, no least because of such aforementioned engine/defending flaws, and AI contributions likewise.

14 minutes ago, Svenc said:

That's true as real football has been consistently more random than the game. Burnley conceding an average of 20+ shots whilst maintining to concede less than 0.4 goals per match for months (not going to last). Dortmund 2014/2015 consistently creating decent chances but failing to put them away, whilst their opposition did so at an alarming rate for the entirety of six months, result of which being that you had the dead last in the table being the side which also created the third most openings in the league, just a few behind Bayern. Crystal Palace starting this season, recording close to 100 shots in over the first two months, an average of 10+ per match at least, scoring precisely zero. Never seen anything like that in-game ever, and that's not one off. If it would happen, these forums were to explode. Reason of which what is perceived as "form" not seldom is random chance. Like when Werder Bremen suddenly go from hapless to winning 6 matches on the bounce, not because they suddenly went from below average to sublime. But because football scorelines on average remain pityfully close, and are settled in key moments of play. Even forward streaks happen all themselves, as outside of pens and tap-ins, the forward is rarely in the edge to score, and career stats are pretty constant (they convert about every 5thish attempt, whilst most of them average 2 or less per match, with only Messi, Ronaldo and the like 5+ per match).

FM still lacks a few feedback on all of this, and so far FM 2018 seems less predictable before also (in parts as you can't as easily flood the centre of the pitch and spam possession anymore at least from my experience so far, also to hold onto leads -- 5 months in-game time without conceding past the 75 minutes mark previous etc.). But prior releases in particular, no way. Football is far more up and down than anything in game, except if your random stuff adds more randomness into the mix. That said, to argue the game would perfectly catch football would be silly. It's a sim. It only could if it would be the real thing. Which it obviously ain't, no least because of such aforementioned engine/defending flaws.

It's how quickly your form changes after a couple of defeats that baffles me. i had Gary Madine run through my full team pretty much in my last game as my defence just walked and turned they're back on him, that has nothing to do with tactics  

I'm not bashing the game, I'd love to be decent at it but it's ridiculous how hard it is to try and succeed, genuinely harder then my degree 😂

15 minutes ago, Svenc said:

That's true as real football has been consistently more random than the game. Burnley conceding an average of 20+ shots whilst maintining to concede less than 0.4 goals per match for months (not going to last). Dortmund 2014/2015 consistently creating decent chances but failing to put them away, whilst their opposition did so at an alarming rate for the entirety of six months, result of which being that you had the dead last in the table being the side which also created the third most openings in the league, just a few behind Bayern. Crystal Palace starting this season, recording close to 100 shots in over the first two months, an average of 10+ per match at least, scoring precisely zero. Never seen anything like that in-game ever, and that's not one off. If it would happen, these forums were to explode. Reason of which what is perceived as "form" not seldom is random chance. Like when Werder Bremen suddenly go from hapless to winning 6 matches on the bounce, not because they suddenly went from below average to sublime. But because football scorelines on average remain pityfully close, and are settled in key moments of play. Even forward streaks happen all themselves, as outside of pens and tap-ins, the forward is rarely in the edge to score, and career stats are pretty constant (they convert about every 5thish attempt, whilst most of them average 2 or less per match, with only Messi, Ronaldo and the like 5+ per match).

FM still lacks a few feedback on all of this, and so far FM 2018 seems less predictable before also (in parts as you can't as easily flood the centre of the pitch and spam possession anymore at least from my experience so far, also to hold onto leads -- 5 months in-game time without conceding past the 75 minutes mark previous etc.). But prior releases in particular, no way. Football is far more up and down than anything in game, except if your random stuff adds more randomness into the mix. That said, to argue the game would perfectly catch football would be silly. It's a sim. It only could if it would be the real thing. Which it obviously ain't, no least because of such aforementioned engine/defending flaws.

The game tries to create randomness but in really silly ways. Players just acting like idiots on the field for example.... strikers through 1 on 1 and they always miss for example. THAT is laughable.

Also the game takes 1 top club in every league and decides that season theyll be woeful. Like man city finishing 15th and juve 8th.... ive seen it before and others have on fm18 already. Farcical.

The games themselves feel extremely scripted too. I can tell after 10 mins what the score will be after 80.... changes dependent. THAT is silly too.

Tactics are very silly and limiting. I guess they have to be on a game but theres only so much you can actuslly do within the game. The geniuses know how to break a game, not win ACTUAL football matches.

Just now, Svenc said:

This is mostly AI tactical decision making. Some of it wouldn't make sense in football, let alone FM. Needs some fixing.

I could understand a club underperforming if there was an underlying reason. Like old players and the transition from ferguson to moyes at united as an example.

But man city finishing 15th when spending 200 million and having world class players in their prime is stupid.

Overpowering arsenal every single year is also stupid. Can the designers not get this into their heads?? Seriously.

They give Higuain 20 for finishing too and make him useless!! Its really funny to watch how bad he is in the games.

1 hour ago, Oenone87 said:

Why do you bother posting or playing if you think it's so bad, man?

Like, what are you doing here?

I don't think it's bad, mate.  Just very, very hard. Could do with a few pointers as getting beat off Bolton/Millwall etc week after week gets a bit boring. 

9 minutes ago, Sunlinlad said:

I don't think it's bad, mate.  Just very, very hard. Could do with a few pointers as getting beat off Bolton/Millwall etc week after week gets a bit boring. 

Not talking to you really, more Fmunderachiever, who slags the game off at every opportunity, but also throws in advice, its just a weird blend.

1 hour ago, Oenone87 said:

Not talking to you really, more Fmunderachiever, who slags the game off at every opportunity, but also throws in advice, its just a weird blend.

I play the game because ive been playing for years. Just becomes habitual.

I support leicester city. Got used to one or two big highs mixed with plenty of average stuff and a fair few lows in my time. Seen cups and league wins but mostly forgettable.

Same with football manager. Its such a ridiculously poor game but liked it ever since championship manager (which was amazing)

17 minutes ago, FMunderachiever said:

I play the game because ive been playing for years. Just becomes habitual.

I support leicester city. Got used to one or two big highs mixed with plenty of average stuff and a fair few lows in my time. Seen cups and league wins but mostly forgettable.

Same with football manager. Its such a ridiculously poor game but liked it ever since championship manager (which was amazing)

That's nice, but this is a tactics forum. If you think it's rubbish then fine, it is clearly your right to think that, but stop posting in here if you aren't going to be constructive. You made a few good points above that could b helpful, and contributed in the 4-2-31 thread. Stick to that. If you want to trash the game, take it somewhere else.

Archived