FM18: Man Utd - Awaken the Sleeping Devil 👹 !

goqs06

• Replies 639
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finished my first season last night, winning the Premiership, the Champions League, and the SuperCup. An embarrassing defeat to Southampton in the Carabao Cup semi-final, and a crushing 3-0 loss to Man City in the FA Cup semi-final were the low points of the season. The defeat to City aside, we were pretty good defensively all season but struggled for goals. In the league, Martial was top scorer with just 12, and Lukaku contributed just 11 in all competitions.

Don't know what to do with Lukaku. All other things being equal, I'd just sell him but I'm pretty sure he'd go for a huge loss on what we paid, and I'm equally sure the board wouldn't be happy about that. For someone with 19 finishing and his mental stats he certainly misses a lot of sitters. Despite his strength he can't hold up the ball, and he couldn't get on the end of a through ball unless he had a motorbike. I've tried him as DLF both support and attack, CF ditto, and poacher, and he's been bang average every time. Yes, he chips in with a hat-trick now and again, but then goes five or six games without scoring.

Played Rashford in rotation and he was awful, and brought in Kaspar Dolberg as a long-term prospect but he didn't produce much when given the chance. I'm hopeful that both will develop a lot this season.

Zlatan and Carrick have both retired; sold Felaini first window to China (he was transfer-listed by Christmas!), and Jones and Romero in January. Just sold Rojo and Darmian. Brought in Gimenez, Dolberg, Van de Beek and Sisto first season. Just signed Dybala to play as No 10, Rajkovic as back-up/rotation for De Gea, and Pol Lirola as the long-term replacement for Darmian. Not sure what to do at LB - Shaw and Blind were OK, but don't know whether CBJ will be able to do the business there.

Money is no object - after the initial £42m in July, the board upped it to £90m in January, then £200m in June 2018 so even after Dybala, there's plenty left for a good LB if necessary.

4 hours ago, warlock said:

Zlatan and Carrick have both retired; sold Felaini first window to China (he was transfer-listed by Christmas!), and Jones and Romero in January. Just sold Rojo and Darmian. Brought in Gimenez, Dolberg, Van de Beek and Sisto first season. Just signed Dybala to play as No 10, Rajkovic as back-up/rotation for De Gea, and Pol Lirola as the long-term replacement for Darmian. Not sure what to do at LB - Shaw and Blind were OK, but don't know whether CBJ will be able to do the business there.

How has Sisto performed for you? Where have you played him?

Just now started my first save on FM18. Avid United save player in previous FMs.

Sold Jones and Fellani to Chelsea and Some Chinese Outfit.

Brought in, Chiellini, Aleix Vidal, Abdoulaye Doucure and I might go for Stefano Sturaro from Juve, hes available for 6.5m..

Got 18m left in the kitty, might go for the Espanyol LB that someone mentioned, I have a feleing his agent will take the **** though.

Playing a 4312 like I always do, never been a fan of wingers on FM!

1 hour ago, Verby said:

Just now started my first save on FM18. Avid United save player in previous FMs.

Sold Jones and Fellani to Chelsea and Some Chinese Outfit.

Brought in, Chiellini, Aleix Vidal, Abdoulaye Doucure and I might go for Stefano Sturaro from Juve, hes available for 6.5m..

Got 18m left in the kitty, might go for the Espanyol LB that someone mentioned, I have a feleing his agent will take the **** though.

Playing a 4312 like I always do, never been a fan of wingers on FM!

How do you set up your 4312?

21 minutes ago, Yoeri said:

How do you set up your 4312?

Beat Huddesfield 4-0 away and Beat Spurs 2-0 at home my only League games of the season, has alot of tweaks to be made but always had successful saves with this formation on previous FMs.

Did lose 3-0 to Madrid though in the Cup, I found it almost impossible to stop them spraying the ball around the pitch no matter what I changed, there team is godly on this FM.

Lukaku has 4 League goals in 2 games so far, hopefully he keeps it up. 

9802b8901a772a9baf8b5c1080ae4547.png

2 hours ago, McClane29 said:

How has Sisto performed for you? Where have you played him?

Well, I bought him as a right-winger and played him there a few times. Then with an injury to Martial I played him as a IF-l. Then, on closer inspection, I realised that he's better as an IF on either side. To be honest, he hasn't been great, but he's cheap and decent cover, and my coaches reckon he'll improve a bit so I have no complaints.

12 hours ago, shaggydo said:

I think you could quite feasibly play Martial and Lingard as wingers to start with. I signed Federico Chiesa as an out and out winger but you could also try Leon Bailey or Oliver Burke maybe?

Leon Bailey looks to be one that I might go for, also looking at bringing Zaha back into the club, think he could be the answer on the right.

Really struggling to find a quality left footed left winger that will hug the line and beat full backs.

2 minutes ago, simonbyrneno.4 said:

Leon Bailey looks to be one that I might go for, also looking at bringing Zaha back into the club, think he could be the answer on the right.

Really struggling to find a quality left footed left winger that will hug the line and beat full backs.

Last two games, I've played Mata on the Left/Right wing of a flat 4-4-2

2 hours ago, simonbyrneno.4 said:

Lack of pace means I can’t play him wide

Depends. Over 30 yards he's not going to out-run a fast FB, but he has enough acceleration to step up, beat his man, and get a critical cross or pass in.

Which ignores everything else. I've played Mata and Herrera out wide and they'be been brilliant. They have vision, crossing, composure and decisions: if there's a killer ball on, they'll play it. I'd take either over a winger who puts his head down and runs hell for leather to the byline and the finds there's nothing on.

6 hours ago, simonbyrneno.4 said:

Lack of pace means I can’t play him wide

I have been playing around with tactics in my first season, and Mata has been played both as MR in a 4-4-1-1 and an AMR in 4-3-3. His ratings:

AMR (as IF) - 22 played, 7.25 avg

MR (as WP) - 14 played, 7.61 avg

10 hours ago, simonbyrneno.4 said:

As someone else suggested earlier, Thomas Lemar would be good on the left if you can get him.

Doing alright at the moment, conceded one in 5 games and that was to Arsenal away, still sticking with my 4312 formation. 

9802b8901a772a9baf8b5c1080ae4547.thumb.png.9ec92ab8f7d755fc58eb2e34d354adbf.png

Probably the strongest team I can field for now, going to make big changes in the summer. Maybe Pogba is abit wasted at DLP but Doucoure has been awesome for me as a BBM.

I recommend Vidal to anyone looking for a RB, hes bloody awesome and whips in a great cross all the time.

a834ce1de4c92dfaae919c261ad3599e.thumb.png.af8948a775358b996a8a2bee55c7c6d1.png

Thats my home formation, I change the CWB's to FB Support away and change accordingly 

Well I have finally got my long term Man utd save going. 1st thing I did is bring in my own staff as always, so Mike Phelan comes back to be my assistant, promoted a few of the under23 and under 18 staff such as Tony Whelan is now 1st team coach. I also got Miguel Grau from valencia as a coach, he is under 19 boss for them, I highly recommend him as his attributes are incredible.

Transfers as below

5a1ad250855c2_1stseasontransfers.thumb.jpg.dacaf3a25ed96310b6cb64829f921885.jpg

I did want Tierney as my left back but he didn't want to join so went for Davies from spurs.

I have 2 tactics I'm going to be using the 1st one is a 4-2-3-1 which will mainly be used for games I should dominate.

5a1ad2551c87b_maintactic.thumb.jpg.883f4065be6d82a423dee16845a0b361.jpg

My 2nd tactic is one I shall be using in the big game

5a1ad2582f7f4_2ndtactic.thumb.jpg.8492cb7473f792efee8b691ba28e1156.jpg

Not had a bad start won the super cup 2-1. 3 games into the league and have won 5-0 vs West ham, Rashford got 1 goal and 3 assists from the right wing, won 4-0 vs Burnley and drew 1-1 with Watford. Got a pretty tricky champs league draw of Napoli, Benfica and Beskitas.

On ‎25‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 12:14, shaggydo said:

Pogba is absolutely tearing it up for me in the Segundo Volante role. 7 goals in 8 games with an average rating of 7.93.

Lukaku is thriving too, as a complete forward on support, with 9 in 8 and an average rating of 7.79.

I've tried the Segundo Volante role in a 4231 system and it didn't work for me at all.I am jealous.

So,after trying (and failing) too get a formation to work (damn you 4231) I have finally settled on this formation

h6PxH8N.jpg?1

It is proving to be quite stable. The goals are starting to flow and we are nice and compact in defence.The only issue I find is a ball out wide and from deep catching my backline out and the keeper being left to handle the odd 1v1.

I went mental on transfers but the fullback positions are now sorted out for the longterm

cHOMhQq.jpg?1

We are walking away with the league, Chelsea,Liverpool and Man City have helped by being really poor.We topped the group in the Champions League even with defeats at Celtic and Napoli.Sunderland dumped an understrength United out of the League Cup and we have an away trip to 2nd place West Ham in the 3rd round of the FA Cup.

jMlExbk.jpg?1

I only have one transfer target in mind for the summer and that is Wiegl from Dortmund to give Matic some competition at DM, if I can't get him it will be Neves from Wolves.

I will try and post more regular through my save

17 hours ago, Chapman7 said:

What do people do with the briefing before matches?

I leave it to the assistant. It seems to be a **** feature with no real benefit. All that was happening was that my players were unhappy because they thought I was being to conservative due to the formation (4231 DM). It's quite an attacking tactic and we're banging in the goals but they look at the two DMs and think it's defensive.

On 11/11/2017 at 14:50, goqs06 said:

Right Back

For me this is a position that needs attention, not desperately, but still needs attention. We have Matteo Darmian and Antonia Valencia. I do prefer to use Valencia further forward, so for me we only really have one recognised right back in Darmian and he isn't in my opinion top class or even close to that. The more worrying thing for me personally is that we have no real cover in this area, especially if your like me and don't really want Valencia in this position if possible. 

Youth... Tyrell Warren & Lee O'Connor - Personally I don't think Tyrell Warren is good enough, but there's so real potential in 15 year old Lee O'Connor, so if you don't feel you have the funds to improve in the right back position, I'd definitely look at giving Lee O'Connor some game time and look to have him as a future right back.

I bought Emil Kraft for next to nothing as a backup and he's been really quite good when he's had to step in. I wouldn't turn my nose up at Darmian just yet, though. He might not bomb forward in the way that Valencia does, but when it's Real in the Super Cup, (and I got them in Champions League, too) he does a superb job nullifying the threat of Gareth Bale.  

Borthwick Jackson's Determination looks awfully low, and in FM17 a few gutless performances for me saw him parcelled off to Stoke or someone. At left back, I was quoted 115m for Josh Tymon (no, really, first transfer window) and something idiotic for Tierney, who my scouting team think is dodgy. Shaw has been woeful for me.

On 11/11/2017 at 14:50, goqs06 said:

On 28/11/2017 at 16:55, scass said:

Tierney, who my scouting team think is dodgy

Have you had a clear-out of the scouting team? United start with a boatload of very poor scouts (and some excellent ones). Depending on who does the report, you can get some questionable verdicts on good young players.

2 hours ago, warlock said:

Have you had a clear-out of the scouting team? United start with a boatload of very poor scouts (and some excellent ones). Depending on who does the report, you can get some questionable verdicts on good young players.

Good suggestion, thank you!  I have dumped a few, but there are a few more who aren't at the standard of Williams, Guzman and Calvert-Toulmin. I've mostly been assembling a coaching team which has meant re-hiring Mike Phelan, and Paul McGuinness who were there when they won things, and finding a few others who are decent. And I've sent Zlatan and Carrick to do their badges. The coaching team looks very slim, too. 

32 minutes ago, scass said:

The coaching team looks very slim, too

Don't forget you can use U23 coaches for the first team, including the U23 Manager and AssMan. That way you should be able to get all coaching areas covered at 4* or 4.5* and light or average workload. There are some good coaches at U18 level at the club, who can be promoted to the U23s.

Tierney was absolutely brilliant for me during my beta save, he came in for what I now reckon was an absolute bargain £15m and immediately took the starting job and even when Shaw returned from injury I honestly couldn't justify dropping Tierney. I ended up just rotating both of them depending on who needs a rest.

4 hours ago, oneronaldo said:

Tierney was absolutely brilliant for me during my beta save, he came in for what I now reckon was an absolute bargain £15m and immediately took the starting job and even when Shaw returned from injury I honestly couldn't justify dropping Tierney. I ended up just rotating both of them depending on who needs a rest.

Have you been able to sign Tierney for that sort of price in the first season during the full game?

I either get Celtic demanding a far higher fee or even Tierney refusing to enter contract negotiations. 

5 hours ago, McClane29 said:

Have you been able to sign Tierney for that sort of price in the first season during the full game?

I either get Celtic demanding a far higher fee or even Tierney refusing to enter contract negotiations. 

Just keep bidding, Celtic will usually crack at £20-25m. I put in a £20m bid with some ridiculous add-ons that brings the total to £35m but realistically Tierney will only achieve about £7.5m of the add-ons.

So half way through the 1 st season, and just got to January and its going pretty well, below is my latest results, after losing to man city i was 6 points behind them but now after a decent winter run we are now top.

results.thumb.jpg.5a03ab73e381ee5666535efe782471d3.jpg5a21e4fa94170_midseasontable.thumb.jpg.0c8c46d22b0bd183fcc6ff38b3270ab9.jpg

As you c an see Bournemouth knocked me out of the league cup, I finished top of my champs league group and have been drawn against Shakthar in the next round.

Here are my players stats so far.

5a21e4fda77a1_midseasonstats.thumb.jpg.d5a6b57ad77ad7d96a029ea89f4ec1d7.jpg

My only signing Ben Davies has been very good and solid, Pogba has been quality, but would like more in assists from him. Smalling and Bailly had formed a good partnership, but then Smalling broke his ankle but since then Bailly and Lindelof have now formed a great partnership and we keep alot of clean sheets. Both Lingard and Mctominany have been pretty good back ups for me as well.

Plans for January are simple as I don't plan to buy anyone, Fellaini has agreed to go to China once his contract is up at the end of the season, and i may try to sell Shaw, as i don't really play him and Davies has been good, plus I want to develop Mitchell so he will end up my back up left back. Ibra, Carrick and Youngs contracts are all up at the end of season, Ibra hasn't scored yet since being back, and both young and carrick have been solid when played, I will probably release all 3 at the end of the season though, but I hope to keep Carrick as a coach.

I plan to try to develop a few more youngsters in the 2nd half of the season in Mitchell, Riley and Gribbin, with Mctominany and Tuanzebe both performing well. I'm also keeping tabs on Sanchez's contract situation as would love to add him to my team for the 2nd season.

DC629A1A6755ED1967790CED6A90B3A8E73D57F4

complete domination, although the finishing makes me want to throw things, at least 2 shots, player clean through and somehow finds the goalkeeper. Martial up front though after bringing Rashford off, led to 3 goals

0E593DBDE66A7CA7C55E0E37EA00C07D3C7FC4A0

this is the league table going into the international break.. been a bit busy so havn't played for a while, hence why I am only that far.. and no your eyes do not deceive.. that IS Bournemouth, they have already beaten Arsenal.. and won 4-0 at the Etihad :lol:

My first season was such a weird one. Have been tinkering with tactics, and had trouble until finally arriving on a 4-4-1-1 that kinda works. Whole season was playing catch-up to Chelsea, while Liverpool where lingering in the bottom half of the table for a long time. In the end, Chelsea lost their last two games of the season, while we won, so we became champions. But it didn't feel that good. And if you take a look at the points total, we really need to do better next year.

5a23f099cf088_ScreenShot2017-12-03at13_36_07.thumb.png.fcadc4e9dbd8ca1a95debdd2111e1cb9.png

As for transfers, I brought in Mario and Gaya as new fullbacks, while Darmian left. In the january window, Fellaini, Jones and Valencia left as they all felt they didn't play enough games. The only incoming transfer was Andrija Zivkovic, this time for real.

This summer will be another clear out and trying to get some real quality players in. Hoping to get Alexis Sanchez, since he doesn't want to renew his contract at Arsenal.

Started my first save on fm18 and created my own tactic. Just pretty much reached the end of the first window and I've sold Mkhitaryan, Darmian, Young, James Wilson and Lingard is on loan with potential for future transfer.

My tactic doesn't use wingers and is reliant on the crossing ability of the wing backs (complete wing backs) and a strong midfield.

I've bought Alex Sandro for left back as he is natural as a complete wing back and was a no-brainer signing. At right back I've signed James Tavernier as a backup right back who is also natural at complete wing back and I've also splashed the cash for Kyle Walker-Peters who could be a gamble, but one that I'm hoping pays off in the long term.

We've won the Euro Super Cup 3 - 1 against Real Madrid, although they had more of the ball, they couldn't handle out intensity. We have also won 2 and drawn 1 in the league so far.

Need advice

I'm playing with two strikers, does anybody know a good combination with two strikers and an advanced playmaker (CAM), or is 1 striker the way to go? Despite our success so far, I've not got much positive to say about my strikers except Lukaku who has done half decent.

1 hour ago, mikenevo said:

Started my first save on fm18 and created my own tactic. Just pretty much reached the end of the first window and I've sold Mkhitaryan, Darmian, Young, James Wilson and Lingard is on loan with potential for future transfer.

My tactic doesn't use wingers and is reliant on the crossing ability of the wing backs (complete wing backs) and a strong midfield.

I've bought Alex Sandro for left back as he is natural as a complete wing back and was a no-brainer signing. At right back I've signed James Tavernier as a backup right back who is also natural at complete wing back and I've also splashed the cash for Kyle Walker-Peters who could be a gamble, but one that I'm hoping pays off in the long term.

We've won the Euro Super Cup 3 - 1 against Real Madrid, although they had more of the ball, they couldn't handle out intensity. We have also won 2 and drawn 1 in the league so far.

Need advice

I'm playing with two strikers, does anybody know a good combination with two strikers and an advanced playmaker (CAM), or is 1 striker the way to go? Despite our success so far, I've not got much positive to say about my strikers except Lukaku who has done half decent.

Can try out an advanced striker + a Creator. F9 /DLF+ AF/CF(Attack). I've had varying success with both.

Archived