Make South America Great Again!

dafuge

south-america-watercolor-map-michael-tompsett.jpg

After my torrid time in South America with FM17, I'm going back for one last shot at a long term save in South America.

0OZhu8F.png

I've loaded every South American division, with a few added players to bump up the database across the world.

Just like last time, this is going to be all about experiencing new leagues rather than aiming directly for the top. I'd like to manage in every country, preferably starting off in the lowest league. Brazil is likely to be my final destination, I'm hoping to stay there for a while which is something I didn't get round to doing last year.

oONdxEI.png

I'm starting unemployed with the lowest possible qualifications, here are the attributes I have chosen.

I've not got any particular ideas about my first job, but I'd prefer a job in one of the second divisions of one of the smaller nations.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

XP8O0qf.png

Just like my first attempt on FM17, the first job I've managed to pick up is in the Uruguayan second division.

Club - despite a recent spell in the top flight, this club is well known for being in this division.

Facilities - things are really basic here.

Finances - this isn't a great way to start.

Squad - our best players seem to be out on loan, but there a few decent players still here.

League Table - about half way through the season and the club are in trouble.

Avoiding relegation has to be the aim here, but a 10th placed finish could see us into the playoffs. Relegation is decided by average points, on which we are hanging on.

XP8O0qf.png
Sud América - Campeonato Uruguayo de Segunda División - 2018

I took this job midseason with the club in a relegation battle, my aim was to keep them up.

League Table - we avoided relegation, but only just. We played well at times, but we are still losing far too many games.

Squad - we have a number of players good enough for the division above, but the squad is still in a mess.

Transfers - I signed just two players as I spent my budget on releasing a lot of players.

Finances - I spent far too much this season, this might cause problems next season.

Key Player Profiles:

Rodolfo Combe - top scorer, but he's not really good enough to be my main striker.

Mauricio Affonso - one of my two signings, who managed to score a few.

Gastón Díaz - our most valuable player.

Daniel Franco - one of our best players, but he's leaving.

Bruno Giménez - I'm really hoping he will change his mind and stay.

Career Overview:

Season     Team                   Country    League                       Position     Achievements
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018       Sud América            Uruguay    Segunda División             12th         Started job in May
Next Season:

While it was great to survive until the end of the season, my job is still on the line. I'd be surprised if my contract was renewed next year unless things improve.

@dafuge Good luck with your South American adventure.  Out of curiosity what nationality did you set your manager as?  A couple of us in the "Ultimate FM Challenge" thread have found it difficult to get the first job in South America presumably due to no reputation/qualifications.  I was wondering if managerial nationality played a part or not.  Or more likely what languages you speak is likely to be more important.

Just now, blackdevil said:

@dafuge Good luck with your South American adventure.  Out of curiosity what nationality did you set your manager as?  A couple of us in the "Ultimate FM Challenge" thread have found it difficult to get the first job in South America presumably due to no reputation/qualifications.  I was wondering if managerial nationality played a part or not.

I picked my real nationality, so English with a second nationality of Welsh.

2 minutes ago, blackdevil said:

Cheers, I think I'll load a new save to see if I can start in that region.  Although I am enjoying playing in China...choices choices.

When I was trying things out with the beta I noticed that I hardly got any job offers when adding the Mexico/USA leagues, perhaps that could be the issue?

1 minute ago, dafuge said:

When I was trying things out with the beta I noticed that I hardly got any job offers when adding the Mexico/USA leagues, perhaps that could be the issue?

That's a very good point!  I vaguely recall probably several years ago someone saying that job availability was influenced by the leagues selected and at the lowest reputation level you'd be more likely to only get offers from teams in the leagues with the lowest reputation.  Don't know if it's true or still relevant but thanks for reminding me.

5 minutes ago, blackdevil said:

That's a very good point!  I vaguely recall probably several years ago someone saying that job availability was influenced by the leagues selected and at the lowest reputation level you'd be more likely to only get offers from teams in the leagues with the lowest reputation.  Don't know if it's true or still relevant but thanks for reminding me.

I've never found that to be true. I've found that whatever leagues you load, you'll get first jobs from clubs of the same reputation. (This is all in reference to lowest rep and exp). Not every club of that rep will offer you a job, whether that's because within a 'star' range there are smaller increments of reputation, or because clubs have hidden attributes that affect whether they will offer you a job.

I did lend credence at one point to an urban myth which I'd call, 'the game wants you to get a job'. Essentially the theory was that if you only load a limited number of leagues (e.g. down to England league 1), the game will eventually give you a job at that level. After nearly 2 seasons, I realised that this is not the case.

Anyway, sorry for hijacking your thread, @dafuge, but it's interesting info because I've said a few times that it's (almost) impossible to get a first job in S America, and I'm glad to have been proved utterly wrong, for probably the first time since, oooh, midday.

XP8O0qf.png
Sud América - Campeonato Uruguayo de Segunda División - 2019

Although last season was unspectacular, I was looking forward to my first full season in charge. I finally had a squad of players who wanted to play for the club.

League Table - we limped over the line, but our superb start of six consecutive wins put us ahead of the chasing pack for the whole season.

Squad - I've retained almost the whole squad for next season as the coach reports suggest they should be good enough.

Transfers - I was finally able to sign a few players that could make a difference.

Finances - the board keep topping up the balance, so it looks far better than it really is.

Key Player Profiles:

Alejandro Peñaranda - a panic signing due to Combe missing four months, he turned out to be our top scorer.

Rodrigo Viega - another new signing who made a big impact.

Bruno Giménez - probably our best player, I was lucky to extend his contract.

Gastón Díaz - the only player to be poached by another club.

Nahuel Echesuri - an exciting new youth product.

Career Overview:

Season     Team                   Country    League                       Position     Achievements
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018       Sud América            Uruguay    Segunda División             12th         Started job in May
2019       Sud América            Uruguay    Segunda División             1st          Promoted as champions
Next Season:

Next season is a bit of an unknown as I'm not sure how much of a step up promotion will be. I also wouldn't rule out moving to another club if a bigger club in Uruguay is interested in me.

XP8O0qf.png
Sud América - Campeonato Uruguayo - 2020

Despite being promoted as champions, our form at the end of the season wasn't great so this season was likely to be a tough one.

Opening Stage - we shocked everyone as we looked right at place near the top of the table. We struggled against the top teams, but kept on picking up the wins elsewhere.

Closing Stage - despite drawing our final match, Nacional losing allowed us to pip them to first place and set up a playoff to determine the overall champions.

Playoff - much like the rest of the season, we came up short when playing the better teams.

Squad - it still has a few weak spots, but the squad is looking pretty decent now with the addition of the new youth products.

Transfers - I was able to build my own squad this season by signing a few new players.

Finances - not great, we are still relying on the board to bail us out every so often.

Key Player Profiles:

Nahuel Echesuri - this youth product became our main striker and top scorer.

Bruno Vides - this new signing played brilliantly as the supporting striker.

Facundo Mallo - a decent centre back made a big difference.

Bruno Giménez - retaining him was a huge boost.

Rodrigo Viega - the winger kept up his impressive form of last season.

Career Overview:

2019       Sud América            Uruguay    Segunda División             1st          Promoted as champions
2020       Sud América            Uruguay    Campeonato Uruguayo          2nd          Playoff finalists
Next Season:

This season was so nearly perfect, but repeating it again next season will be tough. There might also be an opportunity for me to go in a slightly different direction.

Gutted :mad:

The Peñarol job came up but I delayed applying until after the playoff. I was too late then as the interviews had already taken place.

I've also had my chairman add a philosophy of signing high profile players, which won't be happening.

Archived