FM18: Liverpool FC - Pace Abuse

cezar.sl

So I sold Mane to Barca for a total of $127 million with $86 million up front. Leaves me with roughly $85-$100 million in budget space. I didn't want to blow it all on a superstar because the squad is really good as it is and I'm first place in the league by a comfortable margin. But I did spend a little bit of money.

I bought GK Pedrag Rajkovic for $6.25 million and put Karius on the transfer list where he is in a bid with Celtic for $5 million. So if that goes through, I feel that's money well spent and an immediate upgrade in my backup/rotation GK. I spent $24 million on 23 year old Domenico Berardi from Sassoulo for some extra rotation depth up front. Finally I spent $12 million (could become $16 million) on 21 year old midfielder Marc Rosa. He's not ready to play with the big boys yet but my scout loves him and he projects well.

After all that I'll be left with with plenty of money left, a first place squad, and tons of young talent. So far, so good.

• Replies 878
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anybody been surprised by anyone in the U23's/U18's? I'm in March in the first season and promoted a few to train with the first team. Ovie Ejaria has been good every time I have given him an appearance and looking at the attributes of Matthew Virtue he could be promising. Obviously the usual suspects of TAA, Woodburn are proving they have big futures and I loaned Wilson out.

1 hour ago, tomzo_2 said:

Anybody been surprised by anyone in the U23's/U18's? I'm in March in the first season and promoted a few to train with the first team. Ovie Ejaria has been good every time I have given him an appearance and looking at the attributes of Matthew Virtue he could be promising. Obviously the usual suspects of TAA, Woodburn are proving they have big futures and I loaned Wilson out.

I like using some of the talent we have in the U23's and U18's. Makes it a bit more difficult and you get such a better feeling seeing them progress rather than signing all the usual wonderkids like Tielemans, Dolberg etc.

As soon as I took charge I had a good look through the U23's, signed most of them on 3 year contracts with incentives if they get first team appearances, I feel that makes it realistic and maybe they'll be willing to train harder and perform when given the opportunities. Apart from the main talents I'd like to mention Glen Mcauley and Yan Dhanda, if they get tutored early and given some game time they can develop quite well.

I've noticed in the U18's there's a few talents like Curtis Jones and Edvard Tagseth who I'll be looking to improve as soon as Gerrard's had enough time with him. I'm thinking about maybe progressing Gerrard to U23 manager and build him up through the ranks in hope he can either take over after I've retired :D

2 hours ago, tomzo_2 said:

haven't started a save yet. waiting on a new laptop before i do but I've had a good look through he youth squad. there's a few i would love to edit and give random PA's to. just to see if i can get a worldie out of it

18 minutes ago, Blinklys said:

Sevilla - Liverpool 0-3 HT. 

Sevilla - Liverpool 3-3 FT.

:seagull:

tell me about it! so F'ing frustrating.

ON the FM subject i was tracking Federico Di Marco too once i sold Moreno, sadly by the time Madrid finally bought Moreno Di Marco had gone up to 20 million instead of the 10 million i was going to pay. Di Marco is class. Well worth the 20 million so far!

23 minutes ago, Blinklys said:

Sevilla - Liverpool 0-3 HT. 

Sevilla - Liverpool 3-3 FT.

:seagull:

Something that happens to me sometimes especially away games, gutted we drew but Spartak have to beat us by 4 goals at Anfield, I can't see that happening so we're pretty much through fingers crossed :)

Is it just on my game? Or is Coutinho and especially Firmino really really poor? They are the 3rd and 4th worst performer average rating in the league after 25 match in my squad. They aren't unhappy and playing amc aml and striker roles in a 4231. I just don't get it. Lallana is way better the same goes for sturridge, mane, salah and ox!

Onto my third season, and starting off strong.

I sold Matip for 40mil, Can for 38mil, Ox for 15mil.

Brought in Dyabala for 88mil, Rugani for 34mil, Diawarra 34mil, Camacho for 27,5mil. 

I needed depth so bought. So far I am 4 games in (unbeaten), Champions league (Toughest EVER group). But I did lose in the community shield to West ham :idiot:

liv6.png 

8 hours ago, MontyOnTheRun said:

This thread is about discussing football manager - not the games that Liverpool play IRL.

I hadn't watched tonight's game yet and you spoiled it for me. Thanks mate!

Since a majority of the posters in the Liverpool threads are actually Liverpool fans, we tend to post about Liverpool IRL as well.

Talk about second season syndrome. How do I go from winning the league in first season to struggling so much in season 2? Injuries, thats how!

Real Madrid just knocked me out of Champions League in the first knockout round, courtesy of a 90th minute belter from Asensio. I defended so well all game then let it go at the end. They also took out Gomez, Ings and Coutinho in the process.

Losing Ings is the biggest issue as Firmino has been whinging all season and not scoring and Ings can't stop scoring. Man Utd have had the league wrapped up since Xmas, they are just too strong, Martial and Rashford just kill it. I'm fighting for top 4 but it's been such a painful season.

22 hours ago, ryan045 said:

I like using some of the talent we have in the U23's and U18's. Makes it a bit more difficult and you get such a better feeling seeing them progress rather than signing all the usual wonderkids like Tielemans, Dolberg etc.

As soon as I took charge I had a good look through the U23's, signed most of them on 3 year contracts with incentives if they get first team appearances, I feel that makes it realistic and maybe they'll be willing to train harder and perform when given the opportunities. Apart from the main talents I'd like to mention Glen Mcauley and Yan Dhanda, if they get tutored early and given some game time they can develop quite well.

I've noticed in the U18's there's a few talents like Curtis Jones and Edvard Tagseth who I'll be looking to improve as soon as Gerrard's had enough time with him. I'm thinking about maybe progressing Gerrard to U23 manager and build him up through the ranks in hope he can either take over after I've retired :D

Dhanda is also on my radar as potential, Mcauley scores a bucketful but just worried about his other attributes.

Love the Gerrard idea but I'm hoping to do a long LFC save to win the UCL more times than Madrid so may take me a while!

21 hours ago, Staf9 said:

haven't started a save yet. waiting on a new laptop before i do but I've had a good look through he youth squad. there's a few i would love to edit and give random PA's to. just to see if i can get a worldie out of it

Yeah I don't like that a youngster has a PA. In my book it should always be 200 and then dependant of club, injuries game time etc slowly gets brought down. Virtue is a key example of this. His stats look really promising but I guess he has a limited top PA 3 star.

22 hours ago, ryan045 said:

Out of these four, Tagseth has been the only one to show much promise for me. Then again, I haven't done much in ways of trying to develop them.

5a157888186b6_EdvardTagseth_OverviewProfile.thumb.png.b8a898ae2858fa94e66ba8359f0bca04.png

Brewster and Grabara looks pretty good though. Probably won't become first team quality, but might be decent squad players.

5a15788b63456_RhianBrewster_OverviewProfile.thumb.png.f4929ac615a97b8b7bcb7f77330990ab.png5a1578837fff5_KamilGrabara_OverviewProfile-2.thumb.png.32eaedb55c633765716775a51c624c5f.png

4 hours ago, smdw2008 said:

i want to play liverpool. which area should be added? i use 4231

thanx before :cool:

I would strengthen the defense and add an attacker! De ligt and dolberg are cheap additions. My first season I added van Dijk, Maia and Kimmich. (I didn't win the league because I didn't have an out and out striker).

With regards to tactics, there has been a lot of debate on he 4-2-3-1, it would just depend on what you tell your team to do. 

So I have just sold Lallana for 30m too West Ham and have had a bid accepted by Real Madrid for Mane 90m.

I signed a transfer listed Bernandeschi, but still need an extra attacking player. Anyone signed Pulisic this time round? He' available for 61m. Or do I just give Woodburn the game time and strengthen elsewhere? Currently in January 2nd season. 

Any recommendations would be great. 

7 minutes ago, DawsLFC88 said:

So I have just sold Lallana for 30m too West Ham and have had a bid accepted by Real Madrid for Mane 90m.

I signed a transfer listed Bernandeschi, but still need an extra attacking player. Anyone signed Pulisic this time round? He' available for 61m. Or do I just give Woodburn the game time and strengthen elsewhere? Currently in January 2nd season. 

An AMC or you want someone wide?

Well thats the other predicament I'm in. Woodburn is flying out on the left as an inside forward. I play Goretzka as a cam support striker at times but with the options out wide maybe a cam would be more preferable. Cheers. But open too suggestions for either. 

1 minute ago, DawsLFC88 said:

Well thats the other predicament I'm in. Woodburn is flying out on the left as an inside forward. I play Goretzka as a cam support striker at times but with the options out wide maybe a cam would be more preferable. Cheers. But open too suggestions for either. 

If then, I would have a go for Dybala. He has been a machine for me at an CAM. 

anyone tried savic from lazio? He is available for 40m in my save as unhappy after I unsettled him.  Looking I'm not sure he would be that much of an upgrade considering Keita is arriving in the summer.  I did sell Miler to PSG for 50m though... hence why I was looking at Savic

45 minutes ago, gmulv said:

anyone tried savic from lazio? He is available for 40m in my save as unhappy after I unsettled him.  Looking I'm not sure he would be that much of an upgrade considering Keita is arriving in the summer.  I did sell Miler to PSG for 50m though... hence why I was looking at Savic

Woah....Milner for 50m?

You are a god.

1 hour ago, Siven said:

Woah....Milner for 50m?

You are a god.

haha - yes I could not believe it also, I had to do a double take.  Admittedly a lot of that is tied up in clauses, got 20m up front only - however the clauses are very achievable for PSG - basically I will get all the cash if they qualify for CL this year, reach semis of the domestic cup and reach semis of CL - I thought PSG are bound to do most of those at some point.....and that fact I was already toying with selling him made the decision an easy one.

oh and they are paying him 275k per week!!!!

Be interesting how much game time he gets and also the FFP issues - I'll be watching with interest

I'm so tempted to buy savic, but if I do someone else will have to go.  I may sell Gini W.  Grujic could be another causalty - but my staff rate his potential quite high so I'm keen to see how he will develop...

2 hours ago, Ross Ingersoll said:

48 minutes ago, gmulv said:

haha - yes I could not believe it also, I had to do a double take.  Admittedly a lot of that is tied up in clauses, got 20m up front only - however the clauses are very achievable for PSG - basically I will get all the cash if they qualify for CL this year, reach semis of the domestic cup and reach semis of CL - I thought PSG are bound to do most of those at some point.....and that fact I was already toying with selling him made the decision an easy one.

oh and they are paying him 275k per week!!!!

Be interesting how much game time he gets and also the FFP issues - I'll be watching with interest

I'm so tempted to buy savic, but if I do someone else will have to go.  I may sell Gini W.  Grujic could be another causalty - but my staff rate his potential quite high so I'm keen to see how he will develop...

Savic has been top class for me since I signed him in first season. First few games he got last minute winners roaming from midfield. Couple of hat tricks along the way. You won't regret buying him. I struggled too sell Grujic, he moans about more additions but then never wants to go out on loan. 

6 minutes ago, Solo171013 said:

Had lloyd jones complain about not being in Premier league squad.

After laughing and asking who are you. Think he may not like me.

Anyone had issues with players complaints about squad registration? 

same as you with Jones, my response was similar to yours - but I got Hendo to talk to him which sorted it out.  He will never make the grade anyway....

On 11/22/2017 at 09:09, Liverpoolfan said:

Something that happens to me sometimes especially away games, gutted we drew but Spartak have to beat us by 4 goals at Anfield, I can't see that happening so we're pretty much through fingers crossed :)

Just to let youknow, there is no goal difference in the Champions League IRL.

So if we lose they next game, even by 1 goal, we drop to third and are out of the Champions League.

Back to the game, all is actually going ok, a lot of players are playing average but as a group we are strong, no single performer. Using a 4-2-4 really.

Does anyone else have unnecessary trouble against Watford? My team is dominating the league, in first place by 9 points. I only have three draws and two are against Watford, 1-1 and 2-2. In both games they scored the tying goal in the final 5 minutes of the game. And it's not like they are doing great in the league. They're in 11th place near the end of January. It's just whenever I play them, they seem to at least tie no matter what. It was the same way in FM17.

20 hours ago, DawsLFC88 said:

Did you transfer list Lallana?

On 21/11/2017 at 01:41, Liverpoolfan said:

Sorry for the late reply, had not much time to play with having work and awkward shift pattern :( but this is how i'm doing, i've qualified for the knockout round with one game to go, close group but I made it. happy days :)

20171121013733_1.thumb.jpg.7a65bc73dcb5f2d8aaeb3de4083b9f20.jpg

Ah lucky! I came third in my group of Bayern, Athletico and Salzburg.

6 hours ago, Siven said:

I really wish i could remove Coutinhos long shots PPM, he seems to waste the ball so much die to them, he would be great without it.

I thinks it's hard because he already has a high stat for long shots.

I remember reading that it's easier to teach a player PPMs that he has good stats for, so the opposite must be true as well.

ok I bit the bullet and have agreed to sign savic in Jan.  got him for 30m all in as he was unhappy after Lazio rejected my initial approach - all in all I think its a good deal.  Now I just need to off load some players in Jan.....Of course since I agreed this transfer Gini (who was going to make way) has been playing blinders!!!

How is Milner doing for you guys? He is doing great for me first season. Currently end of March and he has played 30 (8), scored 11, 7 assists and 7,45 avg rating. All from central midfield position.

Ings also doing great, and Sturridge is fantastic when he can go for a period of time without injury. He has played 31 (12), scored 31, 7 assists and 7,50 avg rating. Now Man City wants him of course..

7 minutes ago, Blinklys said:

How is Milner doing for you guys? He is doing great for me first season. Currently end of March and he has played 30 (8), scored 11, 7 assists and 7,45 avg rating. All from central midfield position.

Ings also doing great, and Sturridge is fantastic when he can go for a period of time without injury. He has played 31 (12), scored 31, 7 assists and 7,50 avg rating. Now Man City wants him of course..

I have grown to hate Milner.

Complains about playing time the most,  average performances, refuses to tutor young players, won't help when I ask him to talk to players.

53 minutes ago, cezar.sl said:

I have grown to hate Milner.

Complains about playing time the most,  average performances, refuses to tutor young players, won't help when I ask him to talk to players.

yes, me too.  This is why I bit PSG's hand off when they offered me 50m (mainly in clauses) for him :)

Just now, Siven said:

Out of interest, when did you sell him? Pre-season or Jan?

It was deadline day pre-season, didn't even leave me enough time to sign a replacement but was too good to refuse

Archived