Football Manager 2018 *Official* Feedback Thread

3 hours ago, Seb Wassell said:

Okay, I am not 100% sure on the overlap there I'm afraid, would be worth checking out.

Dear Seb,

I've played some games and I am a month forward or so. I've not seen any skincolour changing. I guess it's fixed. Awesome! 

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, DP said:

They’re clear alright. I just think there’s general surprise that there aren’t more changes. In previous years there used to be a pretty comprehensive change list and ME tended to be tweaked in patch 3. What’s changed?

Nothing specific has changed.  It's not something you can directly map from one release to another.  Problems are different shapes and different sizes, and with the way the ME is, the later it gets in life, the more potential for something to go very wrong with how tightly wound it is.  They could have had 50 bugs in, say, FM12 and fixed all of them, but that doesn't mean that them having 12 bugs in FM18 is going to be the same.  

They're not in the business of just sitting there with their thumbs well hidden.  They'll have been the same amount of work into the update as they always have, so if something isn't fixed then it's probably either that fixing it would cause too many issues elsewhere, or that it simply wasn't possible to fix in the time involved.  

18 minutes ago, forameuss said:

Nothing specific has changed.  It's not something you can directly map from one release to another.  Problems are different shapes and different sizes, and with the way the ME is, the later it gets in life, the more potential for something to go very wrong with how tightly wound it is.  They could have had 50 bugs in, say, FM12 and fixed all of them, but that doesn't mean that them having 12 bugs in FM18 is going to be the same.  

They're not in the business of just sitting there with their thumbs well hidden.  They'll have been the same amount of work into the update as they always have, so if something isn't fixed then it's probably either that fixing it would cause too many issues elsewhere, or that it simply wasn't possible to fix in the time involved.  

This. It's not like fixing 2 different bugs takes the same amount of time. A bug in the middle of the ME where a small change can have major ripples throughout the game is far from the same as fixing a typo somewhere. The first might take several developers a lot of hours to check, test, debug, fix, debug again, test, fail test, fix again, etc, while the second is a 10 minute job to make sure the typo is fixed and make sure the string isn't used anywhere else so something else isn't broken. The number of bugs fixed says nothing of how improved the game is version to version.

5 hours ago, rdbayly said:

Miles:

FM18.3 via Steam is live - although not yet tested out in the wild. So hold back until @FootballManager confirms it is working. FMT & FMM will follow once they've gone through the approval process, which normally takes 1-2 days, but with a weekend in the way we don't know when.

What does this mean.  I’ve never seen this after an update before.  Does this mean we are expecting another update / hotfix in the next few days?

2 hours ago, KUBI said:

The panel did change, so the skin makers have to update their panel.

Updated on the Champions League Skin, see the last post in the skin posting (it was caused by changes in the file "match team talk panel.xml" I edited it so it would still show the separate buttons to select who you would like to speak to (midfield, defense etc.) and the actual speech bubble is back too. 

So far I have a couple of issues:

1) Lag/jerky 3d match.  It is different than previous. Before it was a quick, almost frame by frame jerkiness.  Now feels like it is double the amount of time if that makes sense, causing it to feel like a slower amount of lag? 

2) Game hangs on 31st August for a long time (2nd season).  Assumed it had crashed before it kicked back in.  Assuming that is to do with the Transfer Deadline in other countries in the background?

Specs:

Ryzen 5 1600

16GB Ram

Radeon R9 290 (driver up to date)

480GB SSD

Windows 10 (Recent fresh install)

Hy

I am slightly confused maybe someone will enlighten me. Am I to take it that ME changes have been made and you really need to play the game to see those changes. There used to be a ME list with the patch notes if I recall correctly, has this changed? I know that there can be a myriad of small changes and the list maybe too long as well as misleading but some clues and hints would be useful for a casual player like myself. Not complaining merely asking and observing.

Thank you 

I seem to get ignored!!! Why the reticence  to say what the changes are...all this guess work is baffling 

Edited by Kazza

I'm afraid that the only changes in ME were these few minor things listed in the changelist. Anyway, someone from SI should answer your question to make it 100% clear...

From the couple of games I've played on the new version it certainly feels like there have been many more changes not included in the list, especially regarding shooting and goalkeeping. But yeah, a confirmation would be nice.

1 hour ago, Rikulec said:

From the couple of games I've played on the new version it certainly feels like there have been many more changes not included in the list, especially regarding shooting and goalkeeping. But yeah, a confirmation would be nice.

Played 5 games, had to change the tactics after 2 games because i didn't like how the team was playing after the patch, (still winning mind you, but 1-0 with terrible quality), but i do feel that the passing game is a LOT better (don't really find the shooting that much better, the keepers are VERY impressive, Ederson is a beast, good luck getting one on his goal), just won with City against Leicester, 4-0 with 3 goals from midfilders (2 for Bernardo and 1 for De Bruyne), passing goals not crosses and not with the 3 attacking strikers like before the patch, really Impressed with the combination of Fernandinho - David Silva - Bernardo Silva and De Bruyne, they destroyed Leicester's midfield and defense, lucky me that i won't be working tomorrow, had no idea that the patch was coming out today, nice one, eheheheheheheheh

So it looks like there has been Match Engine changes.

I have noticed that Match Engine changes have been omitted from the patch notes for a while now.

May I ask, is there a reason for the decision to not share match engine changes?

For years it was standard to be in the patch notes and also the part of the patch notes that most people really looked forward to seeing.

I'm not complaining, I'm just wondering the reason for it. I don't see why not to share them.

Thanks

Edited by Sheep

8 hours ago, oulzac said:

Not happy with the design changes to team talks. It looks terrible and over crowded now. It was perfectly fine before.

Have to agree.  Also not impressed with the new 'time' appearing under match results...wtf...just not needed at all.

11 hours ago, szp said:

I'm afraid that the only changes in ME were these few minor things listed in the changelist. Anyway, someone from SI should answer your question to make it 100% clear...

I've played a number of games and it is improved. They aren't in the changelist.

8 hours ago, Sheep said:

So it looks like there has been Match Engine changes.

I have noticed that Match Engine changes have been omitted from the patch notes for a while now.

May I ask, is there a reason for the decision to not share match engine changes?

For years it was standard to be in the patch notes and also the part of the patch notes that most people really looked forward to seeing.

I'm not complaining, I'm just wondering the reason for it. I don't see why not to share them.

Thanks

Probably because the match engine is by far the most subjective area of the game. I'd rather they handled it this way. If you're observant, you'll notice any changes anyway. 

47 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

Probably because the match engine is by far the most subjective area of the game. I'd rather they handled it this way. If you're observant, you'll notice any changes anyway. 

Hy DD hope your well.

I hear what you are saying but I would like an explanation from Neil. As I also said, it's not a complaint more an observation that an explanation would clear up. Presumably there were no major changes to the ME otherwise I would have thought that they would have informed us?

As a casual player these days, it is useful to know of any major stuff so you can forward plan your game re tweaking tactics and so on.

Edited by Kazza

Well another update another disappointment . Had enough of logging the issues I have that on there BUGS FORUM that just don't get fixed . Going back to FM15 as it still has what I want from this game . May come back and try FM25 or something but for now I'm not doing this anymore . This game has not grown the way it should and is taking money for nothing  . We buy it to see marked improvements but alas its stagnated  What was in this update isn't much at all . .  Sorry about the rant but every year its the same . 

8 minutes ago, prot651 said:

Well another update another disappointment . Had enough of logging the issues I have that on there BUGS FORUM that just don't get fixed . Going back to FM15 as it still has what I want from this game . May come back and try FM25 or something but for now I'm not doing this anymore . This game has not grown the way it should and is taking money for nothing  . We buy it to see marked improvements but alas its stagnated  What was in this update isn't much at all . .  Sorry about the rant but every year its the same . 

Then it's your own fault if you don't see any.  You should be buying it because you've seen marked improvements, not complaining because you bought it blind.  Especially if, like you say, "every year it's the same".

15 hours ago, oulzac said:

It appears something has changed with Dynamics. Team leaders are no longer able to resolve issues. Its failed every time since the update (six attempts). Before the update it was rare for it not to work. It almost seemed like it worked every time before.

Yes, I have noticed this. I think it was too much of a magic button before. It would be a shame if the answer was just to stop it working altogether.  As a are feature, I've not been impressed with team dynamics. I'm more interested in the tactics side of the game, and i find there are a lot of buttons to press in that areas, but nothing that really works.  I've won a lot, with a big team, but the game is unsatisfying because you spend time on a tactical briefing, and then watch the same old procession corners and offsides.

Just now, forameuss said:

Then it's your own fault if you don't see any.  You should be buying it because you've seen marked improvements, not complaining because you bought it blind.  Especially if, like you say, "every year it's the same".

Ummmm . The only thing they do is add new stuff that then becomes an issue . They never solve the problems that are still present from way back in FM13 . Its your fault that you are blind and see only what the tell you on the cover . The 3D has become a lot worse . Ive gone back to FM15 and its heaps better in my opinion . Anyway it is only what I perceive and I wont buy another RM for a long time . 

Really liking the ME now tbh

Testing out a 4-4-2 and it seems the positional sense of the wingers/wide midfielders is so much better. You can actually make a nice compact, two lines of four now unlike before. Wide players tucking in to central areas to get compact four in midfield. Good update.

I don't have evidence either way, but my opinion is the ME is exactly the same. Perhaps users are scrutinising passages of play in more depth due to the update, and simply noticing things that were already there but had become numb to.

18 hours ago, ChrisBuxton said:

Just a blank area.

I have the same issue and reported here. I don't know if you have the same resolution (1360x768) anyway they're saying is below the minimum for the game (never heard this) so they'll 'see what they can do'. Of course this was working before 18.3, so extremely annoying and disappointing.

33 minutes ago, OLLMEISTER1 said:

Really liking the ME now tbh

Testing out a 4-4-2 and it seems the positional sense of the wingers/wide midfielders is so much better. You can actually make a nice compact, two lines of four now unlike before. Wide players tucking in to central areas to get compact four in midfield. Good update.

Unless SI say otherwise I dont believe there were any ME changes affecting match play

25 minutes ago, rdbayly said:

I don't have evidence either way, but my opinion is the ME is exactly the same. Perhaps users are scrutinising passages of play in more depth due to the update, and simply noticing things that were already there but had become numb to.

There are no longer any stupidly wayward shots

My forwards are no longer (well not always) just mindlessly smashing it straight at the keeper.

I haven't seen a single stupid corner given away since the update.

I havent seen a player pass the ball when there is an obvious chance of scoring. Before the update my forwards would regularly do their upmost to avoid scoring.

I haven't seen any goalkeepers have an uncontrollable body spasm just before the opposition shoots yet, although that one was quite rare.

Penalty taking seems better. Even one under huge pressure. That might just be luck though.

On the whole it feels far more balanced. It's not perfect, but I am happy enough with it now to enjoy playing.

4 minutes ago, MrPompey said:

Can I ask if you have tried to clear cache etc?

Yeah, no success. I did try to zoom out at 95% and the panel showed up so it appears to be related to resolution. I've had other issues in the past especially with tactics screen that is very limited on 1360x768 (not that this was ever announced before or after release) but this is pretty bad and was actually working well before 18.3. 

21 minutes ago, mbabbs said:

There are no longer any stupidly wayward shots - Shooting power is still pathetically weak and inaccurate from the edge of the area, even from elite players with strong attributes. Direct free kicks from 20 yards remain completely ineffective.

My forwards are no longer (well not always) just mindlessly smashing it straight at the keeper - I've seen this at least half a dozen times, although I freely admit from a small sample.

I haven't seen a single stupid corner given away since the update - I'm not sure in what context you mean? A goalkeeper conceding corners from saved shots that were going wide? This was fixed in in the last patch?

I havent seen a player pass the ball when there is an obvious chance of scoring. Before the update my forwards would regularly do their upmost to avoid scoring - Never really had an issue with this, but players shooting when they should pass IS an issue.

I haven't seen any goalkeepers have an uncontrollable body spasm just before the opposition shoots yet, although that one was quite rare - Not encountered this personally.

Penalty taking seems better. Even one under huge pressure. That might just be luck though - Can't judge this as I've not won or given away any penalties since thew update.

On the whole it feels far more balanced. It's not perfect, but I am happy enough with it now to enjoy playing.

2 minutes ago, DP said:

The speculation on whether the ME has changed or not can be easily handled by confirmation from SI. I’m wondering why this isn’t happening?

Play the game, and you'll see if anything's changed. It has, but early doors I have to say, not for the better as my next post will show. 

6 minutes ago, DP said:

The speculation on whether the ME has changed or not can be easily handled by confirmation from SI. I’m wondering why this isn’t happening?

Yes agree.  I keep asking this question - surely Neil could respond and kill the speculation?

Right, so a few matches played after the update, and alarm bells are ringing. I know shooting accuracy has never been a strong point of the FM engine, but in the few games I've played since last night, I'm getting a lot like this...

tyoAmlE.jpg

I have no idea why 14 of my team's 19 shots were from that far out when I have a tactic designed to basically do the opposite (and that's been working not too badly up until now, in that regard anyway). Also, a few of Northampton's shots are completely wild. but that one out for a throw was ridiculous (checked the replay and it was just a standard chance from the edge of the box). 

As I said, it's a small sample thus far, but it feels a bit off to me so far. 

14 hours ago, RorysRocketThrow said:

So far I have a couple of issues:

1) Lag/jerky 3d match.  It is different than previous. Before it was a quick, almost frame by frame jerkiness.  Now feels like it is double the amount of time if that makes sense, causing it to feel like a slower amount of lag? 

2) Game hangs on 31st August for a long time (2nd season).  Assumed it had crashed before it kicked back in.  Assuming that is to do with the Transfer Deadline in other countries in the background?

Specs:

Ryzen 5 1600

16GB Ram

Radeon R9 290 (driver up to date)

480GB SSD

Windows 10 (Recent fresh install)

For the second one, my saves always take a really long time at the end of the summer and January deadline days, it's normal. Especially if you have a lot of leagues loaded (= many transfers going on) like I have in my journeyman.

Having played quite a few matches now and i have to say i'm pleased with the update.
Smoother play. A lot less stupidity happening. GKs bringing the ball out to a corner kick happens a lot less (haven't seen it happen once yet in about 8 matches played, where it happened quite a few times every match before).
Backpasses that go out to a cornerkick happens a lot less. Less of silly crosses and players refusing to shoot, in my tactical setup. Have had a couple of belters as a result.
Players seem to try to go for goal when opportunity presents itself, instead of a neverending Arsenal-play and refusing to shoot.
GKs seem to bring the ball outside the goal area more often, when in possession of the ball, for a long-kick upfield. Good to see.
I like the added teamtalk options (Defence, Midfield, Attackers).

One thing i do notice though is that the matches can become jittery at times. Not much but noticable.
That, however, goes away as soon as i move the mouse around. No jitter if i keep moving the mouse.
Very noticable when winning a competition and the confetti comes flying. It's a lot smoother as long as i keep moving the mouse.

Other than that; so far, so good.

2 minutes ago, roykela said:

I like the added teamtalk options (Defence, Midfield, Attackers)

Agree with above. This is the only thing I can actually see that can be described as an improvement. The irony is that all they've done is make one screen of the UI a little more like FM17, which speaks volumes.

Just now, rdbayly said:

Agree with above. This is the only thing I can actually see that can be described as an improvement. The irony is that all they've done is make one screen of the UI a little more like FM17, which speaks volumes.

I change i would welcome, as i'm not the biggest fan of quite a bit of the UI changes made for FM18, in general.