Getting mauled by 4-1-2-3 Wide

Currently playing in Serie A, and like 80% of the teams field a 4-1-2-3 Wide, with DM, CM CM and AMR/L CF.

And I'm getting SLAUGHTERED by them almost no matter what. I've tried to mirror them or to face them with a more defensive 4-4-2, much to no avail. They split my defensive line open with long balls, through balls, changes of play from one flank to the other...

And that happens despite the HUGE gap the formation seems to leave in the middle, which gets miraculously covered by the MCs, who don't even get caught off position when (if!) we win the ball.

Is it just my tactic (whichever it is, as I've trown everything to the wall to see what sticks) or is there a bit of a "bias" in the Beta's ME for that specific formation?

If they play with attacking full backs then with the attacking wingers they are isolating your fullbacks / going 2 v 1. They may or may not be playing 2 defensive midfielders sitting back and covering

You will also have 2 center backs defending against 1 striker and a no 10 who may not be getting picked up

Do  you need to cater for them or do they need to cater for you? Thats the dilemma and depends who you feel is the stronger side

Options:

Many I suspect. 

1. Try and take advantage and get behind their advancing full backs. Attacking full backs cant attack if they are defending in their half

2.  Defensively. Who is their playmaker - get you man mark him, play a pressing game so he / they have no time on the ball. Play a short passing game to retan possession, sit deep and look to counter them. If they have just one man up fronth then consider having one centre back should man mark him and one as cover.. Have one of your midfielders play deeper and cover their no 10

3. Attacking play through the middle and overload their midfield, maybe try a 4-3-3 or 4-5-1.

Try the tactics forum also :)

I'm Sampdoria, and I've struggled against Fiorentina and Torino (slightly better sides), Sassuolo (same level) and even freakin' Benevento (who should be dead-last but somehow aren't).

Basically whether it'd be a close game, a slightly uphill battle or a favourable match, I still get annihilated in terms of SoG, Possession and, often, goals.

I've tried good old 4-4-2, 4-1-2-1-2 narrow, 4-2-1-2-1 Wide, on Counter, Standard and Control, with various instructions to limit the AMR/L's marauding runs, but nothing really works. And they also break through the MIDDLE after they successfully switched flanks with insanely accurate long balls.

It was reasonable on 18.0.1 and 0.2, but since 0.3 it has become frustrating and utterly confusing.

Archived