FM Touch v Full Game

Hi All, I don't get anywhere near the amount of game time I'd like, due to work and having a 2 year old who loves attention (not moaning).

I'm planning on having 1 long term save this year round with Ajax, where the aim is to try and develop their youth and get them back to a champions league winning side.

I know for some that would be really easy but as mentioned I don't get as much time as I'd like with it, I generally download a tactic to run with as again I like to be able to just load it up and crack on and enjoy it rather than become frustrated and spend most time on developing and messing with tactics.

Based on the above, am I better with FM Touch? I have never played Touch before but I'm sure I'd read somewhere that there was little if any focus/allowance for developing youth?

I know the info may be lacking but pretty much just looking to load up and go, with youth being the focus.

Thanks all.

FMT is much quicker game experience but I don't think it's suitable for a focus on youth development (I tend to play FMT most of the time). Issues include the fact that you don't have a youth team in FMT, just a combined reserve team which will include a few youngsters. You can get around that by stuffing the reserves with young players, but the second issue is that you have limited options for development in FMT. Although you can take control of individual training, tutoring happens automagically in the background.

You might be better running full FM but streamlining it by having your staff handle most of the day-to-day stuff like scouting, recruitment, team talks, press conferences and the like. Obviously you're at the mercy of your staff but once you've set up the save, it can run pretty quickly.

1 hour ago, someone21 said:

FMT makes sense if you want your game to be 1-2 seasons max. For long term save or to create a legacy, full game is better.

Not sure how you've come to this conclusion as I regularly go into the 2030's on FMT. What is it that makes you think you can't create a long term save on FMT?

1 minute ago, ChelseaSince86 said:

Personally, I wouldn't touch FMT with a bargepole.  So can't offer a valid opinion, i tried it once for all of 10mins and absolutely hated it with an immense passion

Good to see you gave it a chance. :rolleyes:

I always have saves on both the full game and FM Classic (the proper name...) One of the best FM saves I ever had was a FMC Hibs save on FM14. I think it's been a great addition to the franchise. I'm always puzzled why people treat it with such disdain. It's the same core game after all. 

53 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

Good to see you gave it a chance. :rolleyes:

I always have saves on both the full game and FM Classic (the proper name...) One of the best FM saves I ever had was a FMC Hibs save on FM14. I think it's been a great addition to the franchise. I'm always puzzled why people treat it with such disdain. It's the same core game after all. 

I put it on, had a play around with it and too much was missing for my liking,  wouldn't go back to it again.  would rather play a solid 12 hours of bubble bobble, than another 10 mins of FMT.   

lol i just detest it

10 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

It's not for everyone. I can't see why someone would 'detest' it or 'hate it with an immense passion' however. That's quite strange behaviour. 

it absolutely isn't.  If i think the watered down version, FMT, is that poor that i wouldnt even give it the light of day again.  Thats not unusual.  To think it is, is quite baffling Dave.  Compared to the full version, i absolutely hate it.  Period

Edited by ChelseaSince86

3 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

And yet, over 4 posts now, you've never once elucidated about what it is that you 'detest' about it. One might almost imagine you're confusing FMT with FMM. 

20 minutes ago, ChelseaSince86 said:

I put it on, had a play around with it and too much was missing for my liking

Lets leave it there.  I prefer the entire bells and whistles that comes with the full version.  FMT is too watered down and i do not like it one iota

Edited by ChelseaSince86

There is no point being confrontational as you quite often are, because i dislike something which you like.  

If i detest it, or hate it,  why are you so concerned?  Just enjoy FMT if you have a different opinion. 

and psst, Lester Bangs was a music critic, different field.  ;)

Edited by ChelseaSince86

Just now, Dagenham_Dave said:

You've posted your thoughts on a public forum. I'm sure you can fill in the blanks from there. 

exactly, why is it so hard to  grasp for you that i dislike it and will never play it again.  why do you have to have a definitive? I prefer full fat and as long as full fat FM is around, FMT will never be installed on this machine.  Thats about the jist of it.

2 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

As long as it's not a watered down one though, you'd hate that eh? With an immense passion. 

I would, especially if there was a full fat puddle next to it with bells and whistles!!  I wouldnt even give the watered down one a second glance, Dave boy!!

Then again, I would still have to stand or sit there and explain to you every little thing that annoys me about that watered down puddle.  This is boring enough, that'd drive me beyond boredom

Edited by ChelseaSince86

In terms of youth development I think it can be done on FMT fairly successfully by way of loans and individual training.

I had a save at St Ettienne in which due to huge debt when I took over I pretty much had a full squad of players from my youth system in the first team after about 5 years in charge. I slowly sold them on and replaced with other players and got out of debt.

My only gripe is the lack of individual tutoring to just be able to guide the mental attributes a little.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, ChelseaSince86 said:

I would, especially if there was a full fat puddle next to it with bells and whistles!!  I wouldnt even give the watered down one a second glance, Dave boy!!

Then again, I would still have to stand or sit there and explain to you every little thing that annoys me about that watered down puddle.  This is boring enough, that'd drive me beyond boredom

"Watered down puddle" is just such an irrational way of looking at it and just comes off as borderline abuse for no reason. For something you say you spent 10 minutes on that's really quite bizarre.

A shame really, considering contributing nonsense like 'hate with an immense passion' actually tells us nothing about why you don't like it. It's completely fine that you don't. It isn't for everyone (and neither is the full version of the game either).

1 hour ago, Spikey said:

In terms of youth development I think it can be done on FMT fairly successfully by way of loans and individual training.

I had a save at St Ettienne in which due to huge debt when I took over I pretty much had a full squad of players from my youth system in the first team after about 5 years in charge. I slowly sold them on and replaced with other players and got out of debt.

My only gripe is the lack of individual tutoring to just be able to guide the mental attributes a little.

I've had seasons in FMT going 50 years or more, with players playing out their full careers at my club. The fundamentals are the same as full FM. There isn't individual tutoring you can control but even in FM I'd only used that sparingly. When it comes to FMT I tend to take closer care of the media handling styles and personalities I bring into my squad as a result, to make tutoring results much more favourable.

44 minutes ago, Lucas Weatherby said:

I've had seasons in FMT going 50 years or more, with players playing out their full careers at my club. The fundamentals are the same as full FM. There isn't individual tutoring you can control but even in FM I'd only used that sparingly. When it comes to FMT I tend to take closer care of the media handling styles and personalities I bring into my squad as a result, to make tutoring results much more favourable.

When I say it's a gripe it's a pretty small one! I just occasionally wish I could know for sure that a particular youth player is only being guided by a particular senior pro. The automatic assignment probably works better for my players' development, I'm just a control freak in this particular area I think!

With regards youth development generally I actually do exactly what I used to do on full fat FM pre FMC/T and the fundamentals are the same (as you said). I just use my reserve squad for the youth team squad rather than a dumping ground for unwanted senior pro's. A benefit of this is that it forces me to run a smaller first team squad and my youth players therefore get more first team game time and develop earlier.

I was in a similar situation to the OP with a young child and less time to spend on FM a few years back. I had pretty much stopped playing FM as I never got beyond 2-3 seasons due to the increasing workload between matches. Since FMC/T I'm back to 15-20 season saves. I totally understand it's not everyone's cup of tea, in the same way full fat FM is no longer mine.

Now you can zoom the 2D view, I'm finding the beta release of FMT to be more stable than the main game. Got a good wee save with Fortuna Sittard in Holland on the go. It's a great mode to just whizz through games without worrying about loads of other stuff. I still prefer the main game, but I like this mode too. 

55 minutes ago, Lucas Weatherby said:

"Watered down puddle" is just such an irrational way of looking at it and just comes off as borderline abuse for no reason. For something you say you spent 10 minutes on that's really quite bizarre.

A shame really, considering contributing nonsense like 'hate with an immense passion' actually tells us nothing about why you don't like it. It's completely fine that you don't. It isn't for everyone (and neither is the full version of the game either).

why do you have to have a definite description why,  why is it so unacceptable that i just dislike the game very much, as im so used to full fat FM with all the trimmings, that i could never imagine playing FMT without said trimmings.  It is a million miles from abuse Lucas, and i think you know that

"hate with an immense passion" is not nonsense, of course you will claim it to be as i am criticising something you perhaps had a hand in developing, I have explained i do not like FMT as  there is too much of what i am used to, and love, missing.   surely, that can be grasped and understood?  I hate many many games, FMT happens to be one.  

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, Spikey said:

I had pretty much stopped playing FM as I never got beyond 2-3 seasons due to the increasing workload between matches. Since FMC/T I'm back to 15-20 season saves.

Being able to do a lot more seasons is a big pull factor for me with FMT as well :)

• Administrators
19 minutes ago, ChelseaSince86 said:

why do you have to have a definite description why,  why is it so unacceptable that i just dislike the game very much, as im so used to full fat FM with all the trimmings, that i could never imagine playing FMT without said trimmings.  It is a million miles from abuse Lucas, and i think you know that

"hate with an immense passion" is not nonsense, of course you will claim it to be as i am criticising something you perhaps had a hand in developing, I have explained i do not like FMT as  there is too much of what i am used to, and love, missing.   surely, that can be grasped and understood?  I hate many many games, FMT happens to be one.  

I never said it was unacceptable for you to not like it if you read what I said again. And a million miles it isn't. It might feel it, with some things that are not present and the whole point is FMT being quicker to play. FMT is very much FM first. I think its great you like all the trimmings. That is your definition of why, though it's always interesting to know what "trimmings" people like best. It's called making your feedback constructive and positive, by having something tangible to it we can take on board rather than just coming across as negative.

And it was nonsense at first, because you dismissed it out of hand until pressed. Hate is also a very strong emotion, it does seem strange personally to apply that description. I don't hate what i don't play -- I just don't play them. 

But the differences of opinion are really by the by and there's no point pressing on that.

1 minute ago, Lucas Weatherby said:

I never said it was unacceptable for you to not like it if you read what I said again. And a million miles it isn't. It might feel it, with some things that are not present and the whole point is FMT being quicker to play. FMT is very much FM first. I think its great you like all the trimmings. That is your definition of why, though it's always interesting to know what "trimmings" people like best. It's called making your feedback constructive, by having something tangible to it we can take on board.

And it was nonsense at first, because you dismissed it out of hand until pressed. Hate is also a very strong emotion, it does seem strange personally to apply that description. I don't hate what i don't play -- I just don't play them. 

But the differences are really by the by and there's no point pressing on that.

i like everything about full fat fm.  Ok some things in the beta for 18 need tweaking and optimising, but otherwise there is nothing id remove, even press conferences i still do myself.  I don't play FMT at all, i genuinely dont think i ever will. 

If you asked me what would make me give FMT  a chance, my answer would be, add everything thats in full FM.  :-)

I guess it's what you want out of the game.  I didn't touch FMT at all originally and my first experience with it I missed the immersion of full fat.  However when full fat got a bit to detailed for my liking I tried FMT and haven't played full fat for around three years and the last two years just purchased FMT.  If you are like me and just like playing games, trying out tactics and buying players then FMT is great and this year I have probably had my longest ever save at 7 years.  If however you want immersion then full fat is probably for you.  The only frustrating thing for me with FMT is that I seem unable to bring youngsters through successfully but that's probably just me rather than the game!!

I can't understand why some people are so negative and show such hate for Touch/Classic version, especially as it's not a completely different game.

I totally get the fact that they might prefer the full game and that is fair enough, I am still playing FMC15 and loving it, it's easily my favourite FM since my first FM which was 10, I much prefer the Touch/Classic version because it suits what I want in a manager game better than the full game does and I have no intention of playing the full game any time soon, that being said if  we didn't have the two options then I would still play the game.

______________________________________________________________________________________

In terms of youth players I have been giving players from my youth intakes a chance during my game, I haven't gone with youth only because I like signing players, I have recently given myself some self imposed rules that I can only sign 3 players (under 21) each season, and give contracts to the best players from the youth intakes.

21 minutes ago, Maw74 said:

I can't understand why some people are so negative and show such hate for Touch/Classic version, especially as it's not a completely different game.

My own theory on this is that many people mistake the mobile version of the game for FMT, especially since it became 'Touch' rather than 'Classic;' and was also available on mobile devices. 

The mobile version IS a vastly different game. 

1 minute ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

My own theory on this is that many people mistake the mobile version of the game for FMT, especially since it became 'Touch' rather than 'Classic;' and was also available on mobile devices. 

The mobile version IS a vastly different game. 

Yeah maybe that would make sense.

20 minutes ago, Babak G said:

Could anyone list which aspects of the main game is not included in Touch this year? And any new additions compared to last year? 

No Dynamics

No team talks

No direct tutoring (happens in the background)

Very little press/player interaction, usually just the odd question here and there. 

Medical centre doesn't have its own section on the sidebar, but forms part of the squad menu, although it's just the one screen

Not sure if the scouting packages are included, not used scouting much as the team I am has no money!'s 

No in-game shouts

Not really much that's new in FMT this year, but they've cleaned it up a bit, and it runs really smooth. The tactic screen innovations from the main game are mostly present in FMT apart from the lines connecting players on the tactic pitch as that's linked to dynamics which isn't present. 

1 hour ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

No Dynamics

No team talks

No direct tutoring (happens in the background)

Very little press/player interaction, usually just the odd question here and there. 

Medical centre doesn't have its own section on the sidebar, but forms part of the squad menu, although it's just the one screen

Not sure if the scouting packages are included, not used scouting much as the team I am has no money!'s 

No in-game shouts

Not really much that's new in FMT this year, but they've cleaned it up a bit, and it runs really smooth. The tactic screen innovations from the main game are mostly present in FMT apart from the lines connecting players on the tactic pitch as that's linked to dynamics which isn't present. 

What about the match stats and analysis expansion which has been added to main game? 

1 minute ago, Takamaru said:

How do you start FMT in FM18? I remember seeing it from the start screen in FM17 if I'm not confused, but can't find it in 18?

Never mind, found it as I posted. Separate install on Steam, in case anyone else was failing like I was ;)

Maybe it's an unfair comparison (considering that, 16 years ago, it was all we had and we couldn't compare), but last year's FMT was at least on par with what is commonly considered the best Championship Manager ever, the 01/02 edition, so I'm quite fine with it :)

Like I wrote in the FMT suggestion thread, I just miss the half-time team talk (couldn't care less about pre and post match ones), which I consider integral and very important for the match flow (especially when you consider how important it potentially can be in RL), but otherwise, it's a fantastic game by itself.

Edited by Lucas78

I converted to FM Touch last year and it's the best move I ever did. 

Full FM is just too bloated for me, with my family commitments I can't get through 2 seasons in a year. FM Touch gives me more flexibility for playing on the road (tablet) or at home (pc). I now use my dinner hour at work to smash through a few games on the tablet!

I don't miss the features not included at all, the only downside is FM Touch requires me to spend more money as I need to buy the tablet version also. 

In short, FM Touch saved my football managing career. 

Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated. I think the only way to know which I'll prefer is to give FMT a shot and see how it goes. I do like the thought of continuing my save on my travels to work on the tablet version.

I think youth only might be harder in FMT, the youth intakes are smaller but I have never tried youth only and it will probably depend on level of club.

My Stopsley Utd are now a big club after working our way up but I have only started focusing on youth over the last 10/15 seasons, could probably have won more trophies if I hadn't but hey we are doing well and it makes for a very interesting game.

It also depends what players you are willing to give first team football too, I have had many players only rated 2/3 stars but they have had great careers with us.

This player will soon be hanging up his boots, never rated more than 3 stars but has been fantastic for us, can still produce the goods despite his current rating. :)

This is FMC15

H9ec4x.jpg

nvHqQd.jpg

QPR8UH.jpg

This is my current first team squad.

VeKCV6.jpg

Assistant Reports

qRlqYt.jpg

Players with # came from youth intakes.

Edited by Maw74

• 1 year later...

I have a question, how dynamic is FMT. On FMT you can't see most of the leagues but do they still occur. If I switch from Chelsea to Juventus the next season, will I be able to see if Juventus won the league in 2018 or 2019 (something like that). Also are club rankings affected by how other teams from different leagues do in their leagues.

27 minutes ago, Csscatthemoney said:

I have a question, how dynamic is FMT. On FMT you can't see most of the leagues but do they still occur. If I switch from Chelsea to Juventus the next season, will I be able to see if Juventus won the league in 2018 or 2019 (something like that). Also are club rankings affected by how other teams from different leagues do in their leagues.

It depends on what leagues are currently running in Touch that will show how the team(s) are performing in their leagues. Teams in leagues not loaded wont show their performance in the standings. You always have the option to add/remove leagues any time you want just like the full version. Club ranking are there and ranked against all leagues, including the ones you're not playing in. 

14 minutes ago, grade said:

The only criticism of FMT is the lack of an editor like FM editor.

But that is hardly any news by now. Still waiting patiently for it.

I've been using FMRTE the last couple of years and been pretty happy with it. 

Edited by Heywood JaBlowme

2 minutes ago, Heywood JaBlowme said:

It depends on what leagues are currently running in Touch that will show how the team(s) are performing in their leagues. You always have the option to add/remove leagues any time you want just like the full version. Club ranking are there and ranked against all leagues, including the ones you're not playing in. 

I doubt FMRTE can edit leagues like the editor does? That is it. I like fantasy leagues and legend players. :D

I'm sad that SI, gives little attention to this lack of editor, but I stated many times to that fact and to be honest is disappointing that is not among the priority in their to do lists.

Got to wait for it.

Edited by grade

1 hour ago, grade said:

I doubt FMRTE can edit leagues like the editor does? That is it. I like fantasy leagues and legend players. :D

I'm sad that SI, gives little attention to this lack of editor, but I stated many times to that fact and to be honest is disappointing that is not among the priority in their to do lists.

Got to wait for it.

Yeah, I don’t think FMRTE can edit leagues. I mainly use it when I get bombarded with injuries and occasionally edit finances. 

• 1 month later...
On 29/06/2019 at 14:13, Heywood JaBlowme said:

It depends on what leagues are currently running in Touch that will show how the team(s) are performing in their leagues. Teams in leagues not loaded wont show their performance in the standings. You always have the option to add/remove leagues any time you want just like the full version. Club ranking are there and ranked against all leagues, including the ones you're not playing in. 

How can I add leagues?

Well I only play touch on pc and it's a good game. Tactics and transfers is enough for me. It has the exact same match engine.

As for the OP, it's definitely possible. I'm with Sevilla, we have no money and have to invest in youngsters. Upgrade your facilities, look at the coach report to see what division they're suited to and when they're 18, loan 'em out. You can create a path of succession in your squad which gives longevity to the game. The gripe is the tutoring thing, would love to do that, but at this moment in time just fill your squad with professional/determined types, get the right staff, play the loan system, give game time and it's still very doable.

I have returned back to FMT 

I feel Less is more when it comes to a Management Simulation game

FMT is my favourite version at this moment.

It reduces all the bloat and focuses on what I love about Football Manager. 

Edited by kingking