Jump to content

My lower league tactics are woeful


Recommended Posts

I need some serious help. I tried my first game as Stockport county. I started off with a plain 4-4-2 with pretty much the defaults set and managed to win a few and lose a few. Towards the christmas mayhem my tactics started to flounder - I lost almost every game after December, I couldn't even blame injuries - I don't know what happened but my games just changed. I have tried changing the formation to suit the players more, without success. I got sacked in March in 17th place, and interestingly, the guy that took over from me finished the season in 17th place too. But I got offered another job with a Stenhousemuir (lower league Scottish team) and I'm supposed to win the league this season.. But I've not started well, even with the best players I can field. It must be down to woeful tactics, but I'm completely stumped.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know if its a fact or not but a lot of the more experienced players say that around xmas is when the AI reassesses you in terms of what sort of threat you are. So if your tactic was an underdog tactic designed to hit over-confident teams on the break then after xmas the opposition peg you as a serious threat and are a lot more cautious against you and that "breaks" your tactic. Conversely if your opponent's think you are very dangerous at the start of the season they go defensive but your tactic sets up to exploit exactly that then you'll have a great first half of the season until the opposition realise that you're not as tough as they thought you were and so they start to fight back, result? your tactic looks broken.

There isn't a simple answer, but the simplest answer is you need a tactic that can be adapted fairly easily into a dominating tactic or a cautious tactic depending on what you're facing. Having 1 tactic that works against every opponent, all of the time is just not realistic and those tactics that are like that are just AI exploits which are no fun.

Go back to basics. Look at your squad. Decide what they can do. Set up a simple game plan and then start to think about how it could be quickly switched if needs be. It could be something as simple as having a system that can transform just by cranking up the team mentality.

Link to post
Share on other sites

About an hour ago, I made a sunday league no coaching qual manager and started unemployed. Got a job at worcester and setup tactics according to this guide. I picked formation suggested by my assistant and follow the guide to set it up. Then i went on holliday, picked accept all offers for players, use current tactic and go on holliday indefinetly. I returned briefly from holliday as my assistant went away, and chairman hired a new dof, so I had to assign staff duties again. I'm attaching the result screenie.

  

Worcester City_  Competitions.png

Worcester City_  Overview.png

Worcester City_ Players Players.png

Goran Stambuk_ My Profile Profile.png

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been playing LLM with Maidenhead - really struggled until I went for a narrow 433 formation with a combo of CFA, DFS and DLFD left to right - saved my career and avoided relegation.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been sacked twice. This has NEVER happened to me before in any version of the game since 2013. I must be doing something wrong lol.. I'm now employed by another league 2 scottish team, with a fairly decent income this time. I've got nearly £200k in the bank but this isn't reaching my transfer budget at all. I've completely changed my tactics, and am now trying 3 at the back, with 2 central midfielders, two wide midfielders or wingers and two strikers. Once again, I am expected to reach promotion. So I'm going to try again.. But I'm not hopeful, even with a very good team cohesion my team still lost to Berwick in the BetFred. It's crazy really, I just don't understand.

Link to post
Share on other sites

well, i assume scottish league 2 players aren't really that good at hard work, so I assume your assistant should be telling you to go with a more layered approach and formation, such as 4123DMWide, like on my screenie...a flat 352 means you have gaps so you really should be playing more fluid and be using the best roles and duties, roaming ones, since there is extra space to close down, and you will be tight with all that fluidity...which basically requires the best players in the world, so I doubt your approach will work.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎10‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 14:12, pdstanbridge said:

I need some serious help. I tried my first game as Stockport county. I started off with a plain 4-4-2 with pretty much the defaults set and managed to win a few and lose a few. Towards the christmas mayhem my tactics started to flounder - I lost almost every game after December, I couldn't even blame injuries - I don't know what happened but my games just changed. I have tried changing the formation to suit the players more, without success. I got sacked in March in 17th place, and interestingly, the guy that took over from me finished the season in 17th place too. But I got offered another job with a Stenhousemuir (lower league Scottish team) and I'm supposed to win the league this season.. But I've not started well, even with the best players I can field. It must be down to woeful tactics, but I'm completely stumped.

 

You should definitely post up more details about your tactic to get the sort of help you need. How you lose games is just as meaningful as that you lose. Basically, though people need to know what settings you tried- shape?  Mentality? Any shouts added?  Roles and duties? That bolded bit could mean just about anything to a reader. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks so much for the replies... Well, I got sacked again :D Actually, I resigned before they kicked me out. It's laughable actually as I wasn't doing that bad - I was in 5th place, but because I was out of the playoff spots the board wasn't happy, Also, something I am finding really difficult dealing with is if you start with unhappy players who want to leave and you refuse. In FM17 it would take a while but you could placate the players eventually. So far I've had no luck, and the dressing room atmosphere is always very poor for me. I think this went some way to getting me sacked. So I need to deal with that too.

I'm now with H & W in the lowest playable league. That's my third job since I started the game, and I'm at 2020. I'm going to go with a 4-4-2 this time, defensive play. I need to finish mid to top table. But once again I have a poor dressing room and poor support. The players are pretty poor too, and most will be finishing their contracts in a few days time. The only saving grace is a £6,500 wage budget. I finished in 14th place (I joined the club in April) and lost all 5 games I played. So I really need to get to the bottom of my woeful tactics :D

I will post my tactics as soon as i have worked them out. Do I set team cohesion and match tactics to high pre-season?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I was having the same struggles. Have you tried keeping the standard 4-4-2 but playing structured or even highly structured? It helped for me. Seems like my players get caught out of position much less, which was what lead to most goals being scored against me. You can then build on that slowly.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 04/11/2017 at 20:59, Dr. Hook said:

You should definitely post up more details about your tactic to get the sort of help you need. How you lose games is just as meaningful as that you lose. Basically, though people need to know what settings you tried- shape?  Mentality? Any shouts added?  Roles and duties? That bolded bit could mean just about anything to a reader. 

I have been having trouble lower league as well, which is a first for me, I have analysed the games, how we lost, what the big issues are and for me it's set pieces, 90% of our games are lost from set pieces. If it wasn't for the dodgy set pieces we would win most games. I have tried loads of different set ups for them and nothing can stop me conceding. I really hope SI have sorted out set piece issues for when the full game is released.

One big thing for lower leagues though is you really need fast players, especially at the back. It's the only other big issues for my teams, no pace at the back = get ripped apart by through balls no matter how deep the defensive line is. There are a few other issues I am seeing but I am working on them at the moment and know how to fix them. I love the challenge though :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Powello said:

One big thing for lower leagues though is you really need fast players, especially at the back. It's the only other big issues for my teams, no pace at the back = get ripped apart by through balls no matter how deep the defensive line is. There are a few other issues I am seeing but I am working on them at the moment and know how to fix them. I love the challenge though :)

So typically I have slow players in my defense at the lower leagues- not by design but because I value other attributes. Speed is actually really great in the lower leagues, and it is entirely possible to build for speed and win a lot. Rashidi highly values speed at the lowest leagues, I believe and a number of others do too. I find that if I hunt down defender with decision (#1 priority), positioning, concentration, then at least decent marking/tackling/anticipation, they do fine. The speed will get them occasionally, but if they are good at being in the right places, they can negate the speed. I love that there are multiple ways to construct teams for success in FM- it's one of the things that keep me coming back year after year :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Dr. Hook said:

So typically I have slow players in my defense at the lower leagues- not by design but because I value other attributes. Speed is actually really great in the lower leagues, and it is entirely possible to build for speed and win a lot. Rashidi highly values speed at the lowest leagues, I believe and a number of others do too. I find that if I hunt down defender with decision (#1 priority), positioning, concentration, then at least decent marking/tackling/anticipation, they do fine. The speed will get them occasionally, but if they are good at being in the right places, they can negate the speed. I love that there are multiple ways to construct teams for success in FM- it's one of the things that keep me coming back year after year :)

Yeah I agree, I wouldn't play it if it was like FIFA manager where you can easily win every game. I like to be challenged and made to think

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...