Football Manager 2018 Features Round-Up (ft Match Engine Video)

• Administrators

We've been reading the feedback and comments throughout the build-up to the release of Football Manager 2018 and many of you have been asking about the Match Engine. For all of you who asked when you could see the new match engine, the answer is now!

Slide tackles look very iffy, players seem to be suspended in midair for a bit.

By and large it looks the same as last year to me save for a few minor things - but I've never been unduly concerned by the graphics anyway.

More concerning is the ME itself.

I will be very upset though if the view of the stadium on the screen in the background during one of the interviews in the first feature vid isn't in the game - will be borderline false advertising.

Guest El Payaso

Nice finishes throughout the video. And some good long range through balls and goals from range instead of easy tap-ins.

Though on 0.30 you can clearly notice that the AI still doesn't have a player covering the edge of the area in corners and that will probably make the option to have multiple players lurking outside the area really dangerous and even effective. The AI(?) taking short corners though would be super good addition as with mixed instructions you should have also that option as a possibility. 

Cannot really compare this to what we had as the video doesn't show things in 2D.

Edited by El Payaso

Not sure how I feel about improved cross blocks tbh.

Just the animation or are more being blocked? On 17 the number that got blocked was very frustrating using comprehensive highlights.

Good to see more variety in keeper animations though.

Just to clarify. Is the FM18 "Match Engine" new or are the graphics new? Is this an alliteration of the FM17 engine or completely new alongside the graphical overhaul ?

(If this sounds negative, it's not aimed that way just wondering. The new graphics do look great) 

Edited by ben carter

Looks to be a significant step up in Graphics/Player Models and hopefully the Match Engine itself.

Was on the fence as i've a great FM17 save on the go but it looks like i'm gonna have to tear myself away from that, it looks too good to miss out on 👍

Best improvement for me is ME. Deffending is better, passing looks much more realistic than before. Since I usually manage Barcelona - it really matters. No more stupid long-range passes when the team is instructed to play short-passing possession game. Defenders and GK are trying to pass short to each other even if they are closed down by opposition and it much closer to their game IRL (in older versions they just played long ball or kicked the ball out of play). Much more one-touch passes. Great job! I hope they won't spoil it in the release.

Edited by Exius

I have never had problems with (the lac of) cross blocking in LLM. It seems most crosses there gets blocked to corner.

I also see in the video, that a block from an early cross got blocked to corner. I would love to see less corners from blocks 12-15 meters out from the back line. These are rampant on FM17 (at least on lower levels).

@Neil Brock: In the new match engine, do the players have any understanding of each other's size in relation to other players on the pitch? As much as I enjoy the game and as clearly as it is the best on the market, this problem is, frankly, a killer.

I'm managing Liverpool. I have a small guy on the left wing, one Philippe Coutinho. My players keep feeding him high balls from midfield. He will lose the resulting header roughly 99% of the time. Thus, he will get rubbish ratings unless he manages an assist or a goal (which he often does, to be fair, so that part is all right).

The problem here is twofold:

1) I have no way to tell my players to keep the ball on the ground when passing to Coutinho.

2) More importantly, my players will never, ever understand that the guy defending Coutinho is a lot taller and bigger than he is, so the chances of Coutinho winning the header are essentially nil. They keep trying and trying, from match to match, from season to season. It's utter madness.

I think the most significant improvement for visuals could be better motion-captured movement. Though unfortunately the clip doesn't show any proper dribbles or tricks.

Of the not-mentioned improvements, I'm assuming flat four midfields defend a bit more like midfields in this incarnation

1 minute ago, Keyzer Soze said:

You're trolling, right?

No, I'm 100% serious. I want each member of my squad to look and feel unique. I want to be able to tell the between Ronaldo and some guy from the Vanarama Conference. I want to see players weaving in and out, doing nutmegs and performing tricks and flicks