Football Manager TV: Football Intelligence

As someone who almost always starts in the lower leagues I like the idea of "flipping" guys who overperformed this year to bigger clubs, so the AI looking more at form is great. (This is already abusable with mediocre wing backs because of their inflated ratings.)

I still think the Reputation system needs a dramatic overhaul, but I guess I'll wait and see how much smarter the AI is this year. The squadbuilding was definitely better in 2017, but the AI still makes a lot of strange transfer decisions and completely fails to develop top prospects. I get that it's hugely complex, but it's part of what makes long saves frustrating; the AI just can't keep up with human players, even if you deliberately avoid exploits and manipulative transfer clauses.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, HUNT3R said:

It was only ridiculous if you allowed it to be. Being quoted a high figure isn't the same as them "asking" for it. They didn't want to sell. Then it's a case of either moving to a more realistic target or unsettling the player, as per real life.

Sorry, but its not realistic, at least for the portuguese reality: any lower league team would sell a promise player to a top team, even a 1st division team because these clubs simply need the money. Surely, the club selling would try to increase the sell value but in the terms we have saw in FM17. Things are not just black and white, there are different and several realities. Maybe its the most difficult part to replicate in the game.

7 hours ago, pablito15 said:

So afraid to update the ME, doing absolutely everything possible around it without altering / freeing you in the main part of the game. I've refunded my purchase...

I assume you missed the post from SI on the first page of this thread that said that the ME AI had been updated too.

3 hours ago, XaW said:

It's also too easy to unsettle players you want.

This might well not be much relevant anymore, but FM 2012 had a bug on the AI manager's private conversation screen, which allowed you to get a peek at their "private" conversations. Following such, it would confirm that pretty much every time a player handed in a request, the AI manager would list him / try to get rid of him. As human managers simply sat such out, also created a bias towards the human guy competing. The concept of "unsettling" players is all well enough, but it must work both ways in some form. The only way I can see that happening if there was a severe actually "penalty" introduced. It's debatable if that's ever been the case -- and due to legal reasons, we're not going to see a Dembele (the former Dortmund one) boycotting training much on this either.

Edited by Svenc

10 minutes ago, Svenc said:

This might well not be much relevant anymore, but FM 2012 had a bug on the AI manager's private conversation screen, which allowed you to get a peek at their "private" conversations. Following such, it would confirm that pretty much every time a player handed in a request, the AI manager would list him / try to get rid of him. As human managers simply sat such out, also created a bias towards the human guy competing. The concept of "unsettling" players is all well enough, but it must work both ways in some form. The only way I can see that happening if there was a severe actually "penalty" introduced. It's debatable if that's ever been the case -- and due to legal reasons, we're not going to see a Dembele (the former Dortmund one) boycotting training much on this either.

Well, I don't think it's that easy in FM17, but not very hard either. I manage to get Dele Alli for a rather small fee since Tottenham had a poor season and I told the press I would like him to come to Anfield, then just waited a bit. He threw a tantrum and then I asked Henderson to talk to the press about playing with Alli and then Alli went to the press and exclaimed that he wanted to move. Then it was just bidding and waiting for him to get transferlisted by request. Then I negotiated a bit and voila he was a Liverpool player. The same is possible with most players as soon as their team have a worse season than your self. 

Regarding the penalty, the AI managers use it as well, but should do it better in my opinion. They do it well when you are a poor team, but as a contender for Europe it's too easy to keep them. Even though Real Madrid or Barcelona came for a couple of my players, it was easy for me to convince the players to stay without much in the way of promises.

Look at what happened with Coutinho and Liverpool this summer, he came back, but it was after "the back injury" that disappeared for a week when he played for Brazil. It should be harder to keep the players happy when the top teams approaches. Though, as you say, boycotting training cannot happen with real players without a massive legal backlash.