How many of you still use 2D Classic?

Is it serious that they took the 2d classic? I went to debut the game today, and I had the sad conclusion that they removed the 2d, the generic that exists is totally horrible, the balls full of defects, a pathetic thing. Since I played this game, it was always in 2d classic and now they have taken the only joy I have? Unfortunately I am very disappointed, if they do not change that, I will never play this game again and I will not buy anymore. Totally disappointed, I hope they change that.

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Poetry goes away with too much graphics ''improvements''. just remember it. I can understand the SI needs regarding this issue and I just hope you'll make the 2D classic be more friendly and watch able. please, fix it a bit. it's unrealistic in high levels.

• 3 weeks later...

Just can't accept the 3D, the graphics and stadium designs are just way below what I feel is acceptable.

I strongly feel that unless SI can get it right then they shouldn't bother trying to force the 3D thing, I'm sorry but it looks like some from PlayStation 2 gen.

• 3 weeks later...

I use 2d for a new club the first few games to get my tactics tweaked and right and then will move onto only commentary with 2d replays on goals if I find my club are doing well,.  any hiccups and I go back to watching games and altering tactics to suit.

I apologize both for this question being somewhat off-topic and for posting it multiple times in the forums, but I'd really like to be able to do this and don't know where to ask.  If someone knows, please advise.

Is there a way to be able to see player numbers (NOT names) in 3D?  I prefer 3D (though the 2D option is nice to have for post-match analysis) but I find it hard to distinguish the players.  The floating names are too large and would obscure the action, but numbers would suffice.  Oh, and I'm playing FM 16.  Anyone?

Edited by Shi Xiansheng

On 10/22/2017 at 15:50, NotMyCat said:

See when I tried 3D I found the opposite.

I understood that the game engine was feeding the same information to the 3D representation as 2D but mistakes just looked so much more stark and ridiculous when it's actual players. Things like missed tackles looked beyond belief.

I find I get less frustrated with 2D!

bcz ignorance is a bless .. 

if you can't see it .. then is fine ..
my problem with 2D engine, is same ignorance that make 2D look better bcz you simply can't see it, is same reason why you miss many other information too which I think is important for a manager .. EX: did the defender cleared the ball using his head or legs or his chest ? did my player dribble? ..etc    

• 3 months later...

Happy to say good riddance. Took the life out of the game for me. I won't miss it as long as proper work is done on the 3D match engine (given years of great sales, wouldn't it be possible to do something a little better, visually? Or is the aesthetic choice that players will never have faces (which works as a design decision)?)

2d+3d. Many match analysis tools are 2d. At the same time, football matches tend to be kicked in 3d.

On 13.4.2018 at 22:07, Colorado said:

Me. 3D looks like something from PlayStation One.

Hm. :D

First generation 3d has aged terribly, in particular "realistic" looking games. Despite the specific focus and hours of man power invested into TV style presentations: There was just not enough texture RAM, computing power that only ever supported a handful of polygons per character, resolutions not much higher than in the Amiga era, framerates that often barely broke the 25fps mark turning some of the latter FIFAs on the original PSX into a dia show. Only more artistic 3D still tends to hold up some, such as Grim Fandango's where that severe hardware limitation was considered in picking the art style. E.g. computers of our time make character heads look like blocks of concrete? Let's base our character art on Mexican Day Of The Dead masks. Unfortunately, less of a viable design in action football games meant to mimic a TV experience. :D  Still fun and interesting looking back and seeing if the memory holds up -- because back then, the TV adverts of France 98 in between matches never ceased to blow you away regardless. Things improved pretty dramatically by the time the next generation of hardware was due though.

Edited by Svenc

On ‎14‎-‎04‎-‎2018 at 22:26, Transk53 said:

Why have they taken out 2D?

The old 2D had a different 'engine' from 3D so it was consuming many resources unnecessarily.

Even though I loved the old 2D I understand the decision and I have come to terms with the new 2D. It still looks way better than 3D. Until the 3D engine is immensely improved I don't think I'll change, and even if it had that big development I still don't know, 2D is just great, the perfect fit for what I want to see when watching the match.

8 hours ago, kingjericho said:

The old 2D had a different 'engine' from 3D so it was consuming many resources unnecessarily.

Even though I loved the old 2D I understand the decision and I have come to terms with the new 2D. It still looks way better than 3D. Until the 3D engine is immensely improved I don't think I'll change, and even if it had that big development I still don't know, 2D is just great, the perfect fit for what I want to see when watching the match.

Do you watch extended or key? I quite like the 2D version as well..

11 hours ago, steff91 said:

Do you watch extended or key? I quite like the 2D version as well..

Key. I'm not a tactical expert so key highlights are enough for the type of changes I do during matches. I could probably use commentary only and it wouldn't affect the way I play the game and it would save me some time, but I like watching the highlights as it gives me a good overview of how the team is playing.

• 6 months later...

I use 2d because  I don't have a video  card and if I try to use 3d without  a video card  the screen  turns red and orange and I can't see what's going on

Edited by Tino2020

On 17/04/2018 at 18:35, Rooks said:

I play on 2D and comprehensive highlights with goals replay in 3D. Can’t play on comprehensive highlights and 3D, drives me nuts.

Have you tried it with the data analyst view?

Up until FM19 I stuck with 2D but the data analyst view with a high camera angle works brilliantly for me. It's close enough to overhead, and zoomed out enough, that you can see the entire pitch and see exactly what is going on in all areas but has a bit more life to it because of the 3d.

• 11 months later...

I have a beast of a PC, but i use 2D because it gives me a better view of the positioning of my players. Also some of the 3d animations just looked odd and always put me off

Simple as that really. 

I may give 3d another try this version tho.

I pretty much always play on 2D. Being able to see player positioning and the way my tactics are working (or not working as is often the case) is much easier in 2D. I tried out 3D following the latest patch, to my surprise my crappy laptop handled it well on medium setting. Not sure I'll be converted to 3D just yet though, it just looks too 'cartoonish' . With 2D you use your imagination more, and all goals seen with a combination of 2D and your imagination are better than 3D... for me anyway. 

Always use 2D and probably always will, don't mind 3D for replays but as the animation still isn't perfect it's not for me.

Plus I prefer to speed my matches up a bit and with 2D you can do this fine and still be able to see exactly what is going, the same speed setting on 3D seems 10x faster!

On 14/11/2019 at 21:41, sidslayer said:

Still with the grey border that ruins all immersion for us 2d viewers :(

Sports Interactive make about £35-40 million from sales every year, surely they can add stands rather than grey borders on the 2D screens.

Edited by amer
spelling

On 15/11/2019 at 12:48, superposh said:

I pretty much always play on 2D. Being able to see player positioning and the way my tactics are working (or not working as is often the case) is much easier in 2D. I tried out 3D following the latest patch, to my surprise my crappy laptop handled it well on medium setting. Not sure I'll be converted to 3D just yet though, it just looks too 'cartoonish' . With 2D you use your imagination more, and all goals seen with a combination of 2D and your imagination are better than 3D... for me anyway. 

I agree, all the 3D goals I see just look screamers from nowhere first time, with 2D you can almost slow that down and imagine a scuffed shot in the corner 😂

2D ...  simply because my laptop has problems with 3D (it is a very old machine). In addition, I have a better overview to understand what is happening.

On th other side ... a full stadium is much more immersive than the 2 D plate and I have noticed that I often do not understand why this bloody bastard in the penalty looses the ball suddenly ... and 3D delvers more explanations for this. My blood pressure is much better on 3D.

Never felt the need to change when 3d became an option.

Some things are just nice to be kept in their classic original way!

Having said that, it took a while to get used to the 2d option compared to the Championship Manager 2 text commentary.